Author Topic: Legal sex worker in Nevada makes $267K per year, but only has $15K saved!  (Read 3979 times)

frozen

• Stubble
She makes $267,000 as a legal sex worker in Nevada — here's what she spends in a week
From Business Insider

http://www.thisisinsider.com/what-a-legal-sex-worker-spends-in-a-week-2018-2

Condoms, lube, massage oils, and other necessary materials are all tax deductible.

She only has $15K saved and spends over $200/week at Whole Foods.
She better up her savings rate fast — she’s in her 20s now, but how many more years can she continue this career?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:01:43 PM by frozen »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Legal sex worker in Nevada makes $267K per year, but only has $15K saved!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 07:15:59 PM »
I think her expenses would be a hell of lot higher than that - hair, makeup, spray tans, manicures, waxing, various facials etc, any surgery.... clothing and lingerie, shoes, all that stuff.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 07:18:50 PM »
Almost all of her spending in the diary was for work, except for some Starbucks trips. And at the start she mentions having just finished paying off her loans. So hopefully she is going to save a ton now!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 07:41:23 AM »
Honestly, this just makes me angry at the American health care system. Couldn't get insurance because she was split between states, then got appendicitis and is set back more than $50K.

She spends a ton on food, but otherwise doesn't seem wildly spendy considering how many of her expenses are just business expenses, her net income is much, much lower than $267K. Knowing how much I had to spend on food when my job was highly athletic as well, I'm not surprised at the food costs even though they could definitely be lower.

This woman could at least have used a HDHP and an HSA though, and now that her loans are gone, a damn Solo 401K, letting her put aside a large portion of that gross.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 11:58:35 AM »
From the thread headline, I thought she would be a typical American consumer, blowing a lot of her gross income.

After reading, I'm impressed with her good sense.   Has only been doing this a year, had some serious (unrelated to work) health issues, paid off her student loans, and takes care of her customers.

Refunding the cost of airline tickets customers had booked to come see her is good customer service.   Time-Warner and Comcast wouldn't be hated if their service window issues were as professionally handled.

I hope she ends up happy and prosperous.

And I wonder if that ranch sells stock!   That's got to be a serious money maker.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 02:24:47 PM »
Damn what an expensive lifestyle for everyone leads. All for a bit of nookie...

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »
Dang! if I wasn't 50 years old, living in another state, etc etc the money is impressive... I considered being an egg donor when I was in grad school, which is more invasive. This wouldn't have worked if I was 20 years old, as I was very shy and introverted. Too bad I can't put my 50 year old mind in a 20 year old body.

I do think the women is glossing over some less glamorous items, like the various waxing, plucking bleaching, possibly tanning you pay and have to do as part of her job, in addition to the manual std checks you have to do on the clients.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 10:18:58 AM »
Dang! if I wasn't 50 years old, living in another state, etc etc the money is impressive... I considered being an egg donor when I was in grad school, which is more invasive. This wouldn't have worked if I was 20 years old, as I was very shy and introverted. Too bad I can't put my 50 year old mind in a 20 year old body.
Ugh, I know a lot of people who have done egg donation and it is super-duper rough to be on all those hormones. In the words of one donor "I could not have done this if I wasn't working part-time. This is impossible with a full-time job." But for ladies that are jewish and under 30, you're almost guaranteed to be a match. Also african-american egg donors are in great demand as well (I actually just recorded a podcast episode on this.)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 10:25:40 AM »
Ugh, I know a lot of people who have done egg donation and it is super-duper rough to be on all those hormones. In the words of one donor "I could not have done this if I wasn't working part-time. This is impossible with a full-time job." But for ladies that are jewish and under 30, you're almost guaranteed to be a match. Also african-american egg donors are in great demand as well (I actually just recorded a podcast episode on this.)

I considered doing it because they wanted someone from an ivy league school and had the hair, eye coloring etc they were looking for. But once I read it could potentially effect my future fertility (for my own kids); no. I can take temporary pain, but not permanent effects.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!