Author Topic: Lawsuit over commute  (Read 3821 times)

db_cooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Lawsuit over commute
« on: June 25, 2014, 11:19:10 AM »

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Lawsuit over commute
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »
I was with her up till this:

When DeGerolamo returned from leave in November 2012, she requested a work shift "by which she could come in after morning rush hour and leave prior to evening rush hour."

So she wanted to come in late and leave early - a reasonable thing might be to come in late / leave late or come in early / leave early, while still avoiding the rush hour.  Or ride a bike or bus in, or move closer to work - there are many ways to avoid the rush hour traffic without dramatically shortening your work day.

Of course maybe the doctor's note actually said "she can only work 6 hours a day" and totally legit, but then the article is misrepresenting it.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 03:18:43 PM »
I was with her up till this:

When DeGerolamo returned from leave in November 2012, she requested a work shift "by which she could come in after morning rush hour and leave prior to evening rush hour."

That's the point you decided not to be on this woman's side? Oh brother...

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 04:54:01 PM »
In LA you'd have like a 20 minute work day!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 07:53:15 PM »
hahahahahahahahahahaha wtf

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 08:57:21 PM »
I'm with her I don't want to work a full 8 hours a day either.  I'm not going to try and weasel my way into it with a bullshit lawsuit.

kyleaaa

• Bristles
    • Kyle Bumpus
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 09:56:39 PM »
Her complaint is legit, but the working less than 8 hours thing is not. If she wanted to come in late and leave late, I would probably be on her side.

George_PA

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 10:41:46 PM »
it looks like you did survive the jump out of that plane db_cooper.  I always wondered if you made it or not.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »
http://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2014/06/nj_woman_sues_employer_over_her_anxious_commute_to_work.html

Original article doesn't seem to be there anymore - posting this because I didn't recall the original article mentioning that the employer GRANTED THE REQUEST for a shorter work day.

I mean wow - first you take several months off for depression-anxiety apparently brought on by your commute.  Then you ask for a much shorter day, and they say OK, but you'll have to do a different type of work.  Complain about that to the extent you get fired, and now suing?

I'm starting to think this was actually a quite long ploy to quit her job but get a big check - another way to early retirement maybe?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!