Author Topic: A "Luxury" section in Money Magazine  (Read 3586 times)

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
A "Luxury" section in Money Magazine
« on: March 09, 2016, 05:07:39 PM »
So, I was reading Money Magazine online, and I couldn't help but laugh over the "Luxury" section in a financial management publication. Gotta love irony!

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
Re: A "Luxury" section in Money Magazine
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 05:20:52 PM »
What do you do when you get the money?  I'm developing a taste for luxury myself.  Something to aspire to.

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 09:34:59 PM »
Frankly, most people who read things like "Money" are those in love with the idea of being rich.  As in, capable of spending a shit ton of it.

They're usually not catering to the frugal crowd.  I imagine the sales would be subpar.  ;)

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 10:09:57 PM »
Money magazine is a mix of aspirational and educational for those who are not yet rich but willing to either follow the basic advice to get there or take a more risky path to get there.  For most Money magazine readers a million dollars is an end goal instead of a starting point, but they have articles for people on each step of the wealth building journey.

I am also in love with the idea of being rich.  Frugality is like waiting in line for a roller coaster.  Not too enjoyable but the thrill at the end is worth it.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 12:41:30 AM »
Money magazine is a mix of aspirational and educational for those who are not yet rich but willing to either follow the basic advice to get there or take a more risky path to get there.  For most Money magazine readers a million dollars is an end goal instead of a starting point, but they have articles for people on each step of the wealth building journey.

I am also in love with the idea of being rich.  Frugality is like waiting in line for a roller coaster.  Not too enjoyable but the thrill at the end is worth it.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but with this outlook you will likely not be truly rich, at least not for long.

No matter how much money you make your appetite for consumption will grow to overwhelm it. I caught myself in this trap about 5 years ago. I was making *high* six figures most years, and over 7 figures in some years. This was more then I ever imagined in my wildest dreams. We saved reasonably well, but a funny thing happened - I started desiring ever more expensive things. Fancy bikes at first, then jewelry, expensive vacations, fancier and sportier cars, then bigger more expensive houses. Fortunately I caught myself at the car stage (before getting too crazy) and started reducing consumption while still making the big bucks, which enabled me to hit FIRE last year. I was able to make a change because I realized that at my previous consumption levels, I would never be able to hit financial independence - I would always be working for the man to buy more shit. You simply have to save too much in order to sustain a high consumption lifestyle on passive income. Frugality is what allows you to build your wealth, and it is also what allows you to keep it.

I highly recommend reading "Your Money or Your Life" and "The Millionaire Next Door" and to think differently about frugality and wealth.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 06:01:56 AM »
Hell, I just discovered (via an accidental free upgrade) that American Airlines (and presumably others) has an entirely different magazine just for first class travelers! It has even more of the obnoxious ads for luxury Miami condos and stupid watches that the normal one does, plus things I've never even seen before, like custom URBAN WARFARE SUVs designed just for making an explosive streetside entrance to that hawt club full of bronzed gold-diggers. I read it cover to cover, like the richly illustrated graphic trainwreck it was. I tried to restrain my laughter, but the whole thing was hilarious (if slightly sad).