Author Topic: Ladyparts on Loan  (Read 17722 times)

Reepekg

• Bristles
Ladyparts on Loan
« on: June 11, 2014, 12:43:27 PM »
I will just stick with the facts on this one, because I'm not sure I have the right words to articulate my response:

On my morning commute, I heard over the radio that there is currently a network of 4 cosmetic surgery centers in the Chicago area that are offering a special deal on breast augmentation for the start of summer at the low low price of only $3995.

Then they said not to worry, financing is available!

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Ladyparts on Loan
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »
I'd hate to see what would happen if someone missed their loan payments and they got repossessed!

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 12:45:41 PM »
I really hope this isn't an asset-secured loan!

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »
In Rockford, there's a full-sized billboard on State Street advertising breast augmentation with a Pamela Anderson-looking lady beaming at passing drivers.

gdgyva

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »
you gotta love capitalism!

Spartana

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 02:37:23 PM »
I will just stick with the facts on this one, because I'm not sure I have the right words to articulate my response:

On my morning commute, I heard over the radio that there is currently a network of 4 cosmetic surgery centers in the Chicago area that are offering a special deal on breast augmentation for the start of summer at the low low price of only $3995.

A friend of mine took out a home equity loan to buy new boobies for herself. Then, once the crash came and she lost her job and was severely underwater and about to lose her house, she wasn't too worried they'd come to re-posses them :-)!

They actually saved the day for her in that she met a wealthy man who she is now engaged to. He bought her house in a short-sale and then re-deeded it to her. So guess her...ummm... enlarged assets were a great investment. And also once again proving that men are blinded by big boobs!

mjs111

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 02:42:18 PM »
In Rockford, there's a full-sized billboard on State Street advertising breast augmentation with a Pamela Anderson-looking lady beaming at passing drivers.

CarSafetyGuy,

Sorry to hear this stuff has hit Rockford. For the past 20-ish years I've lived in LA/Orange County where plastic surgery billboards (breast augmentation/tummy tucks/teeth whitening/teeth straightening) are common place, but in my childhood always looked forward to driving down to Rockford from Milwaukee to visit the grandparents.

Mike

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 02:49:12 PM »

A friend of mine took out a home equity loan to buy new boobies for herself. Then, once the crash came and she lost her job and was severely underwater and about to lose her house, she wasn't too worried they'd come to re-posses them :-)!

They actually saved the day for her in that she met a wealthy man who she is now engaged to. He bought her house in a short-sale and then re-deeded it to her. So guess her...ummm... enlarged assets were a great investment. And also once again proving that men are blinded by big boobs!

Great story, I'm a sucker for a...happy ending? I guess?

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 02:51:03 PM »
I actually did the opposite- in my pre MMM days I paid for a reduction on loans (put it on my CC). LOL, really nothing to repo there!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 02:58:42 PM »
I actually did the opposite- in my pre MMM days I paid for a reduction on loans (put it on my CC). LOL, really nothing to repo there!

They'll put it back! D:

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 04:52:38 PM »

That's like slapping God across the face! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM-NzkVpc2k

jpdcpajd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 04:56:17 PM »
"A friend of mine took out a home equity loan to buy new boobies for herself. Then, once the crash came and she lost her job and was severely underwater and about to lose her house, she wasn't too worried they'd come to re-posses them :-)!"

I would have figured they would make her float

Spartana

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 05:50:45 PM »
"A friend of mine took out a home equity loan to buy new boobies for herself. Then, once the crash came and she lost her job and was severely underwater and about to lose her house, she wasn't too worried they'd come to re-posses them :-)!"

I would have figured they would make her float
Ha! Is that what they mean by floating a loan?

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 06:42:08 PM »

CarSafetyGuy,

Sorry to hear this stuff has hit Rockford. For the past 20-ish years I've lived in LA/Orange County where plastic surgery billboards (breast augmentation/tummy tucks/teeth whitening/teeth straightening) are common place, but in my childhood always looked forward to driving down to Rockford from Milwaukee to visit the grandparents.

Mike

Thanks Mike! Yeah, things have changed unfortunately. I admire you for sticking it out in LA, though.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 09:23:52 PM »
Ladyparts on Loan
Heck, I clicked on this thread just to see if it was describing a misdemeanor or a felony...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 05:56:11 AM »
Hey!  Don't judge.  Maybe these ladies are high end prostitutes and can write this off as a business expense.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 07:11:49 AM »
Hey!  Don't judge.  Maybe these ladies are high end prostitutes and can write this off as a business expense.

I was thinking surrogate mother! I'm too old now but was interested to see what the going rate was!

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 10:08:58 PM »
Whatevs. As long as it's not a billboard for vajazzling  or-ahem- anal bleaching.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
I'd actually hesitate before laughing at people who don't feel secure in their own skin. It's easy to mock people who aren't attractive, or who don't feel attractive, when you do feel attractive, but think about it--isn't a measly $4k a really good investment if it increases your self-esteem, makes people treat you better, and improves your romantic prospects?

Myself, I'm probably going to get Lasik very soon since I have piss poor vision, and I will not hesitate to spend the $5k or whatever it costs on it. The convenience, security, safety, improved job prospects, increased physical health, and other benefits make it a worthwhile investment.

The same may well be true for many women who are interested in getting breast implants.

It's of course no replacement for a lack of exercise or an undisciplined lifestyle, but what is the purpose of money and technology if not to dramatically increase the quality of your life in the long run? And I don't think anyone could seriously argue that breast implants, for some women, may amount to a dramatic quality of life increase.

Spartana

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 11:14:53 PM »
I'd actually hesitate before laughing at people who don't feel secure in their own skin. It's easy to mock people who aren't attractive, or who don't feel attractive, when you do feel attractive, but think about it--isn't a measly $4k a really good investment if it increases your self-esteem, makes people treat you better, and improves your romantic prospects?

Myself, I'm probably going to get Lasik very soon since I have piss poor vision, and I will not hesitate to spend the $5k or whatever it costs on it. The convenience, security, safety, improved job prospects, increased physical health, and other benefits make it a worthwhile investment.

The same may well be true for many women who are interested in getting breast implants.

It's of course no replacement for a lack of exercise or an undisciplined lifestyle, but what is the purpose of money and technology if not to dramatically increase the quality of your life in the long run? And I don't think anyone could seriously argue that breast implants, for some women, may amount to a dramatic quality of life increase.
But isn't that kind of like saying you'll appear more attractive to other people if you drive an expensive car, live in a fancy house, wear designer clothes,  had profession hair and all the make-up, wore fine jewelry, spend ski season in Aspen, etc... All those things that are soley about enhancing your image so that others will find you more attractive and worthy. I agree that fixing something that you find very unattractive about yourself or that hinders you from living your life to the fullest (like you getting Lasik - I'm sure it's so you can see better rather then so you can merely look better) is great, but doing drastic expensive things (on credit!) for image reasons alone can be a never ending cycle that leads you to greater dissatisfaction IMHO.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 11:42:25 PM »
It certainly can be the first step down a slippery slope, and I can't easily think of a situation in which it might be best to finance breast augmentation.

With that said, let me quote MMM himself.

Imagine a high-school or university student who is in a rich city and looking for love. In this situation, squeezing out ketchup packets, wearing stained green 1980s sweatpants from a thrift shop, or refusing to go out on the town with friends can seriously cramp your chances of success.

Or perhaps you’re a young professional worker in the financial industry. If your boss and coworkers wear crisply ironed blue shirts and suit jackets around the 54th floor office, while you insist on Metallica t-shirts and Wal-mart jeans, your cheapness is not helping you get ahead.

Even in married life, canvassing the tables of the other restaurant diners to ask if you can take home their leftovers, while your wife covers her eyes in shame, may be an exercise in penny-wise and pound-foolish behavior.

It might save you $4k to not get breast augmentation, but if you really want it, even after months of going back and forth with yourself over it, and weighing the personal, social, and career ramifications of an activity, then perhaps you shouldn't let the $4k pricetag put you off. Some things are worth spending money on--they're generally not fancy cars, or huge houses, or a latte every day of the week--but if an otherwise money conscious and frugal woman decides to treat herself to something that (she has good reason to believe) will dramatically improve her life, then perhaps that's not a bad thing.

I'm not justifying someone who wants to go from a D cup to a GG cup, but what about a young woman who is (for want of a better term) flat and highly insecure about it, and is treated less than kindly by others for it? In that case, it could be a very wise decision to go to a C cup.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 12:37:42 AM »
Also: Some trans women opt for breast augmentation if they're not happy with the results of hormone therapy, or as an alternative to upping their hormone dosage.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2014, 07:19:29 AM »

Unfortunately, I believe I remember reading/seeing that it's rarely to never just the one thing for someone who is sufficiently image-conscious to pursue cosmetic surgery.  The likelihood that someone who got one type of elective cosmetic surgery will get another is very high. That said I do have a few friends that have had crooked noses fixed and seem to be satisfied so far...this might vary by type of surgery.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 09:23:47 AM »

If bigger boobs are required for you to feel happy, the money would likely have been better spent on therapy.  If the size of your boobs are the only thing standing in the way of you having a relationship, you need to seriously re-examine the men (or women) you're dating.

Cosmetic surgery certainly makes sense in some cases.  Say, you've got a hideous facial burn than needs to be reconstructed, or a birth defect that drastically alters your face.  Cosmetic surgery on perfectly normal looking people though, is a ridiculous waste of money and should be laughed at like any other extravagant waste.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 09:36:36 AM »
I was in an office where exchanging stories we realized I was the only person who did NOT have breast surgery. One had it due to cancer (reconstruction), one an augmentation, the other a reduction (so her clothes fit her better, plus she was tired of the nickname "BOOBs"). Some had to pay out of pocket, others were subsidized but everyone was happy with their surgeries.
So I try to keep an open mind about those things, for some people (LIMITED) plastic surgery may be worth the expense.
Myself, I would probably only do it if it was needed for my job (I was an actor or newscaster) or was looking for a rich husband - just kidding on that second part!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:39:24 AM by partgypsy »

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 10:40:22 AM »
Friend of mine got her augmentation as a graduation gift from her parents.  She is a funny person and would openly tell people about them, even joking one time as she happily defended another friend's fake xmas tree "some things are better fake, like boobs!"

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »

I've been very happy with my LASIK, and it helps me see boobs much more discretely from a distance!  OK, I'll admit I got sucked into this thread by the title... and the earlier posts were just what I needed on a working Friday.  Too bad it's starting to get all Mustachian and serious :(

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »
Whatevs. As long as it's not a billboard for vajazzling  or-ahem- anal bleaching.

I know.  A true mustachian does DIY anal bleaching.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »
if it was needed for my job (I was an actor or newscaster)
Woah, hold on, I can think of a kind of movie for which the stars might need breast surgery - though "actor" normally isn't the word used to describe those stars - but newscaster? How on Earth are breasts remotely relevant to somebody's ability to read the news? Let alone needed... if anyone's boss is telling them they need breast surgery, they don't need breast surgery, they need a concealed recording device, and a lawyer.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »
if it was needed for my job (I was an actor or newscaster)
Woah, hold on, I can think of a kind of movie for which the stars might need breast surgery - though "actor" normally isn't the word used to describe those stars - but newscaster? How on Earth are breasts remotely relevant to somebody's ability to read the news? Let alone needed... if anyone's boss is telling them they need breast surgery, they don't need breast surgery, they need a concealed recording device, and a lawyer.

Maybe it is different in the UK, but watching the local news here in these parts would indicate that getting them will likely give you a leg up on the competition for the few coveted evening news desk jobs. I doubt it is stated directly enough to be a legally actionable issue, but the implication that you need to look like what a station chief thinks a newscaster looks like is probably in the air.

Spartana

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2014, 02:57:23 PM »
It certainly can be the first step down a slippery slope, and I can't easily think of a situation in which it might be best to finance breast augmentation.

With that said, let me quote MMM himself.

Imagine a high-school or university student who is in a rich city and looking for love. In this situation, squeezing out ketchup packets, wearing stained green 1980s sweatpants from a thrift shop, or refusing to go out on the town with friends can seriously cramp your chances of success.

Or perhaps you’re a young professional worker in the financial industry. If your boss and coworkers wear crisply ironed blue shirts and suit jackets around the 54th floor office, while you insist on Metallica t-shirts and Wal-mart jeans, your cheapness is not helping you get ahead.

Even in married life, canvassing the tables of the other restaurant diners to ask if you can take home their leftovers, while your wife covers her eyes in shame, may be an exercise in penny-wise and pound-foolish behavior.

It might save you $4k to not get breast augmentation, but if you really want it, even after months of going back and forth with yourself over it, and weighing the personal, social, and career ramifications of an activity, then perhaps you shouldn't let the $4k pricetag put you off. Some things are worth spending money on--they're generally not fancy cars, or huge houses, or a latte every day of the week--but if an otherwise money conscious and frugal woman decides to treat herself to something that (she has good reason to believe) will dramatically improve her life, then perhaps that's not a bad thing.

I'm not justifying someone who wants to go from a D cup to a GG cup, but what about a young woman who is (for want of a better term) flat and highly insecure about it, and is treated less than kindly by others for it? In that case, it could be a very wise decision to go to a C cup.
I guess because I live in the epicenter of cosmetic surgery Hell - Orange County, Ca (The O.C.) and see so many dissatisfied women (and men) who, no matter what they have done cosmetically, how much they do, or how much they spend, can never live up to the standards of beauty (or perceived beauty) that seems to be becoming the norm here. I'd rather see more self-acceptance of one's self then always striving to be physically perfect. But hey, I'm not judging. If doing something surgically to oneself to improve their looks is important, and that's how they want to spend their money and time, then that's up to them.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2014, 09:50:58 PM »

Yeah, they had already taken their pound of flesh.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2014, 11:51:39 PM »
If doing something surgically to oneself to improve their looks is important, and that's how they want to spend their money and time, then that's up to them.

Out of all the ways to spend money and time improving looks, outside of exercise and a healthy diet, surgery is actually pretty cost effective. $4000 for a procedure that'll have you looking better for a decade plus 24/7 boils down to about $1 a day. Considering the cost of buying and time costs of applying makeup or getting fancy clothes or facials or fancy haircuts or whatever, surgery gives a pretty decent return when you consider the alternatives to improving appearance.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2014, 12:24:08 AM »
I know this is a pipe dream, but I'd rather "improving appearance" and "bigger boobs" were not synonymous. Mass media tries to convince us all that one particular female (especially) and male (less so, but still significantly) body type is ideal. I'd prefer we all give mass media the finger. What the hell is wrong with A cups?

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2014, 03:42:31 AM »
about $1 a day
$1/day is cost-effective? Compared to what? The only expenses I have that reach $1/day are tax, rent, and food.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2014, 04:13:43 AM »
If a mindset shift simply doesn't work, and a one-off surgery makes someone feel significantly better about themselves and therefore increases their quality of life, then by all means. I have friends who have had nose jobs and while I think they looked lovely before and did not need it from an aesthetic point of view, I still supported them in their choice.

Out of all the ways to spend money and time improving looks, outside of exercise and a healthy diet, surgery is actually pretty cost effective. $4000 for a procedure that'll have you looking better for a decade plus 24/7 boils down to about $1 a day. Considering the cost of buying and time costs of applying makeup or getting fancy clothes or facials or fancy haircuts or whatever, surgery gives a pretty decent return when you consider the alternatives to improving appearance.

However, I disagree that it is likely to be cost effective as per this proposition. My friends still apply makeup, buy pretty clothes, and spend money on fancy skincare and haircuts. Surgery is not a substitute for these things; rather, it is an addition.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2014, 10:23:40 AM »
about $1 a day
$1/day is cost-effective? Compared to what? The only expenses I have that reach $1/day are tax, rent, and food.

I try not to focus all my effort on $1/day type items, so I'm on board with a big expense that averages down to $1/day (hence getting LASIK and buying my family an iPad, and drinking better coffee while I'm working).  The killers are $100-month type items (cable, cell phone, restaurants, being in less that tip-top health) and big purchases (house, car), or using loans instead of delaying gratification.  Foregoing a $1/day purchase that gives you a helluva self-confidence boost or opens up new opportunities when you are young is a bit counter-productive, you don't get that decade back when you're older, no matter how much extra money you have.  Everything in moderation, except boobs :)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2014, 10:32:27 AM »
Foregoing a $1/day purchase that gives you a helluva self-confidence boost or opens up new opportunities when you are young is a bit counter-productive, you don't get that decade back when you're older, no matter how much extra money you have.  Everything in moderation, except boobs :)

Right. And this is exactly the kind of attitude that encourages impressionable young women to feel bad about themselves and fork out money for fake boobs.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2014, 10:35:19 AM »
Foregoing a $1/day purchase that gives you a helluva self-confidence boost or opens up new opportunities when you are young is a bit counter-productive, you don't get that decade back when you're older, no matter how much extra money you have.  Everything in moderation, except boobs :)

Right. And this is exactly the kind of attitude that encourages impressionable young women to feel bad about themselves and fork out money for fake boobs.
Sorry, I thought we were on the internet.  I would never say something like this in real life, which is why I emoticonn'ed.  Sorry if you read it the way that you quoted and were offended.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 10:58:10 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2014, 10:56:59 AM »
Sorry, I thought we were on the internet.  I would never say something like this in real life, which is why I emoticonn'ed.  Sorry if you were offended.

No worries. Just remember that women are on the internet, too. ;)  Also, sorry to nitpick, as you may have the best intentions, but the correct way to apologize is "sorry if I offended", not "sorry if you were offended". Alright, I'll get off my soapbox now! ;)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2014, 11:03:42 AM »
I saw the way that you quoted it and got a little carried away.  Good thing I'm not in politics!  And I'm glad for the discussion, just sometimes the internet makes what we say too serious.  BTW, my wife has a very nice natural figure and can exercise, so I don't really understand why someone would add weight there if it wasn't there, I certainly agree with what you said.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »
I thought this thread was going to be about the financial issues in lending a womb.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2014, 07:32:47 PM »

But isn't that kind of like saying you'll appear more attractive to other people if you drive an expensive car, live in a fancy house, wear designer clothes,  had profession hair and all the make-up, wore fine jewelry, spend ski season in Aspen, etc... All those things that are soley about enhancing your image so that others will find you more attractive and worthy. I agree that fixing something that you find very unattractive about yourself or that hinders you from living your life to the fullest (like you getting Lasik - I'm sure it's so you can see better rather then so you can merely look better) is great, but doing drastic expensive things (on credit!) for image reasons alone can be a never ending cycle that leads you to greater dissatisfaction IMHO.
In the first place, breast augmentation is merely one more example of aligning your spending with your values.  You just have to be willing to work to pay for it. 

In the second place, who are we to critique the emotional/psychological health of people who choose to have breast implants?  Where do we go from there-- all other cosmetic surgery?  Botox?  Hair follicle restoration or toupees or wigs?  Hair extensions or coloring?  Tattoos?  Piercings?  Smoking or chewing tobacco?  Drinking alcohol?  Flagrant imbibing of caffeinated beverages in public places?

Again, if you have the disposable income and you're not harming anyone else in the process, then it's your own business.  Make it part of the entertainment budget.

I can only imagine the Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaigns...

Letj

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2014, 08:30:17 PM »

I learn so much on here. I never knew there was such a thing as anal bleaching and I can't figure out why anyone would do this (I must be really sheltered). I had to google vajazzling and anal bleaching. Still confused by the need for anal bleaching.  Maybe I am too old.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2014, 08:35:32 PM »

I learn so much on here. I never knew there was such a thing as anal bleaching and I can't figure out why anyone would do this (I must be really sheltered). I had to google vajazzling and anal bleaching. Still confused by the need for anal bleaching.  Maybe I am too old.

Well I'll bet that you don't know that labia cosmetic surgery is a thing, too. It has to look pretty like everything else. In L.A. of course.

Letj

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2014, 08:37:39 PM »
If you are trying to get more attention how about padded push up bras. Those should do the trick. After all, no one is checking them out in public.

Letj

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2014, 08:40:14 PM »

Well I'll bet that you don't know that labia cosmetic surgery is a thing, too. It has to look pretty like everything else. In L.A. of course.

If you're not in the adult entertainment industry and you are monogamous, why labia surgery? They come in all sizes and shapes and I don't your partner would care what the hell they look like. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2014, 08:44:29 PM »
...If you're not in the adult entertainment industry and you are monogamous, why labia surgery? They come in all sizes and shapes and I don't your partner would care what the hell they look like.

95% of L.A. residents would not meet either of these criteria.