Author Topic: Just One More Way to Penalize the Poor!!  (Read 4047 times)

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
Just One More Way to Penalize the Poor!!
« on: August 22, 2016, 02:43:45 PM »
Expiring Airline Miles: Just One More Way to Penalize the Poor!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/samuel-c-spitale/expiring-airline-miles-ju_b_9842356.html

So if you are poor, why are you living the luxurious lifestyle that includes flying on a jet?  Did air travel somehow become mandatory? Wahh middle class Wahh!

:)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
Re: Just One More Way to Penalize the Poor!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 03:46:26 PM »
Expiring Airline Miles: Just One More Way to Penalize the Poor!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/samuel-c-spitale/expiring-airline-miles-ju_b_9842356.html

So if you are poor, why are you living the luxurious lifestyle that includes flying on a jet?  Did air travel somehow become mandatory? Wahh middle class Wahh!

:)

Indeed!

I liked the discussion about the shrinking middle class and the analysis of the way airlines have merged to the point where there's not much competition: the author makes some very good points about how it's basically become a race to the bottom with some perks available to the moneyed set. But the idea that any kind of customer reward miles should be permanent, or somehow an entitlement, is quite ridiculous. Reward points are an incentive to keep customers coming back and making repeat purchases. Incentives aren't entitlements.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 05:38:28 AM »
From the article:

"Spending beyond our means is not only a necessity in modern America..."

I would say the very existence of this community proves the fallacy of that statement.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 07:49:05 AM »
"Poor" and "frequent flyer" have never really gone together at any point that I can remember.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 08:39:32 AM »
I think it sucks that my AirMiles (Canada) now expire after 5 years. I was planning an around the world trip in 20 years! However, while I think it sucks, I don't think it's an attack on me or the rest of the middle class. Business is business. And if I don't like my AirMiles card anymore, I can go to another credit card provider without issue. Because it works both ways.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 08:40:33 AM »
Guy has a Masters degree and yet can't figure out how to buy a magazine subscription to keep his miles from disappearing.  No, the Man is not out to get you...you were just a shipdit.   And the fact you don't get a an $89 flight on your miles might be a teachable moment for you.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 09:01:55 AM »
From the article:

"Spending beyond our means is not only a necessity in modern America..."

I would say the very existence of this community proves the fallacy of that statement.

Or does this community exist in spite of it?

I agree that the post is garbage, but I don't conclude very many facts after that...

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 03:51:59 PM »
Guy has a Masters degree and yet can't figure out how to buy a magazine subscription to keep his miles from disappearing.

Indeed.  I just reset the clock on my Southwest miles by transferring 1,000 UR points
from my Chase Ink+ card.  Now they're safe through August 2018.

All airline miles expire from non-use, so I keep a spreadsheet for tracking.  I also
keep track of my Hilton points, and keep them alive by making 1-2 small purchases
each year on my Hilton Amex card.

AwardWallet.com will track most of your travel points, though ironically not
Southwest.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!