Author Topic: Just finished car payments and now buying a new car!  (Read 16318 times)

Drake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just finished car payments and now buying a new car!
« on: May 18, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Is this a common phenomenon? I've seen it a few times now.

A co-worker described how her boyfriend went out shopping for a new car not long after finishing payments on the few years old car he already had. To her this seemed like perfectly acceptable behavior as she said "well he just finished paying off his car" as if that somehow makes perfect sense.

Although the best example I just came across, another co-worker was 1 month away from the final payment on his 2008 Honda Accord with 48k miles (for which he ALWAYS had serviced at the dealer <--what?! um, RIPOFF?!). He gets contacted by the dealer with this great opportunity of getting a brand new Accord for the same monthly payments and loan condition, which he promptly took. He then raved to me saying several times, "I got a good deal." Um ok? Enjoy another 4 years of car payments on a new car you didn't really need.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: Just finished car payments and now buying a new car!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 03:31:58 AM »
Yeah, the continual debt cycle mindset is quite common.

mensa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 05:06:54 AM »
My single (as in, one person household) brother bought (as in, financed) a second vehicle (brand, spanking new half ton...for working in the bush) and justified it with, "Well, my car will be paid off within the year". D'oh!

SpendyMcSpend

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 09:28:31 AM »
I will never, ever understand people who finance new cars.  When I graduated college, I didn't even know you could DO that.  I had $3000 and was going to buy a neighbor's car then decided to take a job in a city with mass transportation so I never bought one.  I was then gifted a $1000 car by a friend's dad and I have used it since 2008 with some repairs.  Don't get me wrong, I love the new car smell, I love RIDING in new cars, but I will never voluntarily get myself into a situation where I need to pay a payment to do so. 

I do sometimes feel like people are brainwashed into thinking they need to do this over and over.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:35:36 AM »
The feeling of freedom that comes from not having a car payment, far outweighs the joy of a new car to me.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 05:07:37 PM »
(for which he ALWAYS had serviced at the dealer <--what?! um, RIPOFF?!).

I'm curious.  Where do mustachians take their cars?  I generally take mine to the dealer.  It's like $30 for an oil change and like $50-$55 for oil change and tire rotation.  But I know their reputable and do at least some sort of inspection to make sure everything is running smoothly.  It just seems like it's worth it to pay a few extra dollars every 3-6 months to make sure my car will keep running.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 05:12:04 PM »
Mine goes to the dealer too... but my Dad works there, so I pay for parts only, and labour in baked goods ;)

Oil changes are $5.20 (plus the gas to drive the 110km round trip, which I try to consolidate into visiting a few friends 'back home')

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 05:13:07 PM »

I'm curious.  Where do mustachians take their cars?  I generally take mine to the dealer.  It's like $30 for an oil change and like $50-$55 for oil change and tire rotation.  But I know their reputable and do at least some sort of inspection to make sure everything is running smoothly.  It just seems like it's worth it to pay a few extra dollars every 3-6 months to make sure my car will keep running.

I've been taking mine to the dealer as well and it's about $30 for an oil change. In fact, the last time I took it in, the guy told me that with how little I drive, I only need to bring it in once a year for an oil change, it'll take years before anything goes wrong with the car, and I should have the car for a very long time.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »
I've been taking mine to the dealer as well and it's about $30 for an oil change. In fact, the last time I took it in, the guy told me that with how little I drive, I only need to bring it in once a year for an oil change, it'll take years before anything goes wrong with the car, and I should have the car for a very long time.

What kind of car do you have?  I thought they all needed oil changes at least every 6 months, even if that isn't anywhere near the KMs recommended for an oil change?

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 05:19:20 PM »
What kind of car do you have?  I thought they all needed oil changes at least every 6 months, even if that isn't anywhere near the KMs recommended for an oil change?

I have a Ford Fiesta. The manual says 10,000 miles or 12 months. It takes me more like 2-3 years to drive 10,000 miles, so 12 months is the marker.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »

I have a Ford Fiesta. The manual says 10,000 miles or 12 months. It takes me more like 2-3 years to drive 10,000 miles, so 12 months is the marker.

Ah. I'm an 8,000km/6 month changer, on my Toyotas.  I've had narry an issue, with the exception of our 1986 Tercel that blew a rod in the engine in 2007.  It had something like 80,000km on it, but had sat for ~6 years in some farmer's barn, not being run or maintained at all.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 05:59:26 PM »

I take mine to Autozone to buy a filter and five quarts of oil. Actually, the oil is sometimes less at Walmart.

MorningCoffee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 07:03:11 PM »

We always go back to the dealer since ours came with free oil and filter change for as long as we own it. Boy, they didn't know what they were getting into with us! :)
Too bad they stopped that promotion... I wonder why?

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 08:32:42 PM »
I'm currently trying to talk my coworker out of doing this exact thing.  My coworker has a paid off, 5 year old Honda Accord.  My first thought upon hearing that it was 5 years old and paid off was "Wow, you probably won't need another car for at least 10-15 years, if not more."  Their first thought is apparently "I want to get a new car now that mine is paid off."  I can't wrap my head around that, and couldn't well before I found MMM.  My dad taught me well in the car department, luckily. 

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 08:59:18 PM »

I take mine to Autozone to buy a filter and five quarts of oil. Actually, the oil is sometimes less at Walmart.

How much does that run you?  I've looked into this before, and my car takes 0w20 - 3 quarts.  The cheapest I seem to be able to find is ~$5/quart.  So that's $15 and the dealer at least looks at a few other parts of the car.  That just seems worth it to save some time and hassle to me.
I actually looked into doing this myself just for the sake of knowing how to do it, and I concluded that it would be too expensive to learn :(

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 09:52:39 PM »
I say good for them.  Because all of these people who "need" new cars,  there are always lots of ~4-5 year old cars available for sale for those of us that need/want cars.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 10:58:14 PM »

How much does that run you?  I've looked into this before, and my car takes 0w20 - 3 quarts.  The cheapest I seem to be able to find is ~$5/quart.  So that's $15 and the dealer at least looks at a few other parts of the car.  That just seems worth it to save some time and hassle to me.
I actually looked into doing this myself just for the sake of knowing how to do it, and I concluded that it would be too expensive to learn :(
To me, there is more time and hassle involved with taking a car somewhere to get the oil changed than doing it myself.  When I do it myself, I can do it whenever I damn well please, and in a timely manner.  Also, I know that I'm using quality oil.  Oh, and I don't put the drain plug back on by blasting it with an impact wrench.

exranger06

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 06:53:10 AM »
I think a lot of people get so used to having a car payment, they just view it as a never-ending monthly bill, just like a cell phone. (You can never "pay off" a cell phone bill. If you want cell service, there will ALWAYS be a monthly charge.) Just like a phone bill, they think, "If you want a car, you have to ALWAYS make your monthly car payment."

As far as servicing my cars go, I do EVERYTHING myself. Oil changes, radiators, air conditioning, ball joints, brakes, spark plugs, starters, I've done it all. I've had way too many bad experiences with shops not fixing things correctly or using the wrong parts. If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself. I've saved myself thousands of dollars, too. Invest in some tools (that's right, they ARE an investment that will pay you back every time you use them), do some Googling, and learn to fix things yourself. You'll learn valuable lifelong skills and save tons of money.

norvilion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 07:07:18 AM »
$30 oil changes? Wow, around here that's just a bit more than I'd have to pay for just the oil and filter (though could be misremembering). Definitely do remember though taking cars through two different places for an oil change- with one being $70ish and one a little over $100. Didn't think Nashville was that much more expensive (and glad I started taking most of my auto work in my own hands).

teacherman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 07:17:19 AM »

As far as servicing my cars go, I do EVERYTHING myself. Oil changes, radiators, air conditioning, ball joints, brakes, spark plugs, starters, I've done it all. I've had way too many bad experiences with shops not fixing things correctly or using the wrong parts. If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself. I've saved myself thousands of dollars, too. Invest in some tools (that's right, they ARE an investment that will pay you back every time you use them), do some Googling, and learn to fix things yourself. You'll learn valuable lifelong skills and save tons of money.

I just changed out an oxygen sensor in my car. I bought an OBD II scanner on Amazon for $18. Best money spent ever! When my check engine light came on I just googled the code and figured out it needed an oxygen sensor. $50 part and an hour of googling, monkey-wrenching and I did it myself! Would have cost $200+ at the shop I would normally have gone to. I love fixing my car myself! (And I'm not really a "car guy")

exranger06

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 07:27:31 AM »

I just changed out an oxygen sensor in my car. I bought an OBD II scanner on Amazon for $18. Best money spent ever! When my check engine light came on I just googled the code and figured out it needed an oxygen sensor. $50 part and an hour of googling, monkey-wrenching and I did it myself! Would have cost $200+ at the shop I would normally have gone to. I love fixing my car myself! (And I'm not really a "car guy")
See, that's what I'm talking about when I say tools are an investment! That scanner you bought already paid for itself the very first time you used it. And, it will continue to save you money every time you use it again in the future.

MtnGal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 01:23:56 PM »
$30 oil changes? Wow, around here that's just a bit more than I'd have to pay for just the oil and filter (though could be misremembering). Definitely do remember though taking cars through two different places for an oil change- with one being $70ish and one a little over $100. Didn't think Nashville was that much more expensive (and glad I started taking most of my auto work in my own hands).

Same here. My old car ran between 70-90/oil change at different places. My new car would be 50-60, but have been doing all the oil changes myself since I got it.

jennipurrr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 02:06:08 PM »
I grew up in a family that replaced cars every 10 years or so.  When I "grew up" and realized people did this, it was just shocking. 

To me, it seems this ever rotating parade of new cars exchanged for barely used cars by the average family is the single most important choice that is keeping people from financial well being.  Keeping a car another couple years to break that cycle of car payments and debt is not an extreme hardship.  It isn't driving around in an old beater that has issues.  I don't understand it at all.  I do think what exranger06 said, the payment mentality, has something to do with it.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 07:39:21 PM »
I see the pay off/new car buy all the time too. I think it is just a herd mentality and the idea that new and shiny somehow means better even if the "old" is still nice and shiny...

And I take my car to a family run mechanic (supporting small business is nice) that charges me $25 for the oil change, gives me a free carwash and does a little keycard punch system where the 6th oil change is free.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 07:17:29 AM »
For the record, if the car is running and you can get it to a car parts store, they'll read your OBD-II codes for free. It's probably still worth having the scanner, but for those who didn't buy one yet you can always put it off and get your codes read free.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 01:21:39 PM »
OTOH, scanners like the Scangauge http://www.scangauge.com/ can give you a lot of useful real-time information, like fuel consumption.

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 02:39:18 PM »
Just want to throw it out there that different places will vary wildly on the cost of an oil change.  Around here Jiffy Lube ~$24, Meineke ~$50-60, and a certified Honda dealership ~$42.

Price of oil + filter will generally run you $20+.  I take mine to the dealership because it's a pretty rare car and I don't want someone on auto pilot screwing it up.

foobar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 07:49:45 AM »
I figured time wise it took longer to do myself and was more expensive. Mainly because the only recycling place that would take used oil was 30 mins away and not in an area I go to regularly.

To me, there is more time and hassle involved with taking a car somewhere to get the oil changed than doing it myself.  When I do it myself, I can do it whenever I damn well please, and in a timely manner.  Also, I know that I'm using quality oil.  Oh, and I don't put the drain plug back on by blasting it with an impact wrench.

Drake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 03:24:36 PM »
Just want to throw it out there that different places will vary wildly on the cost of an oil change.  Around here Jiffy Lube ~$24, Meineke ~$50-60, and a certified Honda dealership ~$42.

Price of oil + filter will generally run you $20+.  I take mine to the dealership because it's a pretty rare car and I don't want someone on auto pilot screwing it up.

Prices sure do vary. The last time I went to a Jiffy Lube around my way when I needed a quick oil change it was almost $50. Never went back there again.

Drake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 03:34:50 PM »

Last time I took my car to a dealer was when I just moved to a new state and needed a smog inspection. They then tried to upsell me on all this maintenance and the whatever-thousandth mile service crap. I had my car for 12 years, routine oil changes, brakes etc as needed, trans fluid once or twice, spark plugs, battery;  but I'm not really going to follow the manual and dealer recommended maintenance to the exact lettering of what's in the manual.

My car ran great and was still in great shape when I got rid of it. I only ended up selling it because our family situation for the timebeing made it easy to go down to 1 car and I learned that for my specific car there was an engineering defect that Ford doesn't take responsibility for - basically, a valve seat on the cylinder head drops after 115-120k miles and wrecks the cylinder which essentially totals the car. Thus I felt the sensible thing to do was sell it to Carmax and get some equity out of it instead of driving it until it died. (I couldn't in good conscience sell  a timebomb like that privately to some poor sap but had no qualms about selling it to Carmax, if that makes any sense)

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
If there isn't one already, there should be an MMM post titled, "Taking Care of Your Car, the Mustachian Way". And if I wrote it, it would cover these points:

1. Read your car's owner's manual. It contains everything the manufacturer wants you to know about maintaining your car. If the mechanic or dealer tells you something different than what the manual states, the manual takes precedence. (Excepting a recall situation.) If the manual says change your oil every 7500 miles (like mine does), feel free to scoff at whomever tells you that you need to change it every 2000-3000 miles.

2. Don't take your car to the dealership for routine maintenance! They will charge you a bundle and try to upsell you crap you don't need. DO take the car to the dealership for warranty work or recall issues, though.

3. Don't take your car to any of those quick-lube type places. The price and convenience may be attractive, but they _will_ try to upsell you on their other much more expensive services, even if it means flat-out lying and scamming. Their employees are not licensed mechanics and once you've read enough horror stories on the Internet, you'll swear off them forever.

4. Find a good mechanic. This can be hard, but if you do enough asking and googling, you should be able to find someone you trust. Get a quote done before any work begins.

5. Learn to work on your car. You will save a ton of money doing this. Whenever something goes wrong, see if you can Google it. If there is a common problem with your make/model, there's an extremely good chance someone has already made a YouTube video explaining how to fix it yourself. (The exception in my particular case is that I pay my mechanic $25 for an oil change because it would cost almost that much to do it myself. But I _have_ changed the oil in my car, and I therefore know how to do it if I need to.) You shouldn't feel like you have to learn how to fix _everything_ on your car, but there's a great wide swath of repairs that are within the capabilities of the average 10 year-old.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:50:26 PM by eil »

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 04:54:37 AM »
I would strongly disagree with this bashing on dealers.  It depends on the dealer.  I've taken my car to the same dealer since I moved to the area.  I considered finding an independent mechanic when my last car started getting old and needing more work.  That was until I talked to friends and found out that my dealer was charging the same or less than what any of them were paying at their trusty mechanics.

I've never been pressured for additional work.  In fact, they have suggested cheaper alternatives like when the asshat at jiffy lube f-Ed up my one headlight assembly.  So far I've had no complaints.  I get timely, courteous service at a reasonable price and they usually have parts on hand. Now I can't say the same for all the dealers I've dealt with over the years but its silly to completely dismiss dealers for mechanical work.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 07:18:08 AM »
I would strongly disagree with this bashing on dealers.  It depends on the dealer.  I've taken my car to the same dealer since I moved to the area. 

This - I take mine to the dealer.  Last time I paid about $50 for oil change and tire rotation.  A little pricey, but not outrageous.  And they do a general inspection of the rest of the car.  Since they pretty much work exclusively on Hondas, they're pretty familiar with them. 
The exception to this statement is when you need a more substantial repair done.  The local shops were about $225 compared to Honda's $600+ last time I needed a true repair (not routine maintenance).  Honda's labor rates vary from $90-$130+/hr depending on location, so repair costs add up quickly.  But hey, at least they put their labor rates on the quote?

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 04:34:26 PM »
This - I take mine to the dealer.  Last time I paid about $50 for oil change and tire rotation.  A little pricey, but not outrageous.  And they do a general inspection of the rest of the car.  Since they pretty much work exclusively on Hondas, they're pretty familiar with them.

No doubt there are scrupulous dealers, but in my experience, they are few and far between. That's why my blanket recommendation to avoid them. If you've found a good one, then hooray!

......However, I'm sorry to say that a $50 oil change and tire rotation is not the mark of a good one. Maybe it has to do with the cost of living around where you live, but I personally wouldn't pay more than $25-$30 for an oil change. More than that and I would do it myself. Call around and get quotes, you might be surprised. Where did you buy your tires? All of the places that I've ever purchased tires from will rotate them for free for the life of the tire.

menorman

• Stubble
    • Marven's Money Musings
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »

My driveway, though I have gone to an indy once with this car since I bought it. Being a BMW with a V8, recommended oil level is 8 qts of a less-common viscosity synthetic. A full change on my car was about $75 worth of parts buying the single quart bottles, so I was quite happy when Wal-Mart finally started selling it in the 5 qt bottles. That's lower the price like $15 and I get more oil in the process. The filters I source from Amazon. No point in my taking it to the dealership as I doubt I'd save any money on the oil change and I already know what's wrong with it so I don't need an inspection to remind me. Change interval is 7500 miles according to the book. I usually change the filter around 6000, the oil continually changes itself. Also totally doable in the driveway are bakes (including rotors, booster, lines, et al.), spark plugs, various filters besides the oil filter, most everything in the engine compartment including the engine itself, O2 sensors and other such doodads, etc. Interior is also doable, but it's a major pain so I usually don't touch it. My general approach and feeling is that if a mechanic who may or may not have finished high school can follow directions and fix my car, I as a college grad should be able to do it too. It's turned out well so far.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 06:23:36 PM »
My general approach and feeling is that if a mechanic who may or may not have finished high school can follow directions and fix my car, I as a college grad should be able to do it too. It's turned out well so far.

That's pretty insulting.  All the mechanics here have been through a 4 year apprentice program, similar to plumbers, and electricians.

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »
My general approach and feeling is that if a mechanic who may or may not have finished high school can follow directions and fix my car, I as a college grad should be able to do it too. It's turned out well so far.

I don't think this is insulting... but they do have a lot more things to their credit than you would.  Even without trade school they would have a person to learn from directly, professional grade tools, the experience and knowledge gained from doing the task daily, access to discounted materials.

That last bit is why you can find a full oil change for about the same price as you can get the materials.

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 12:41:04 PM »

[/quote]
[/quote]

I think you are a little out of touch with what is required to work as a mechanic.  One of my sons is an "automotive technician".  He started out with an associate's degree just to get his first job and in the years since has spent many hours of study to acquire and maintain certifications and to keep up with current technology.  He has invested tens of thousands of dollars in tools as well.  I think it's great if you can fix your own car most of the time (just like most of us can handle our own minor health issues most of the time) but sometimes a professional is required and that is what most mechanics are - not some guy with a high school diploma and a set of instructions.

Silverwood

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »
So the super lube or similar places here in Winnipeg are horrible. The people I know that have worked there are treated unfairly.  In all fairness though on Monday nights they would close the shop with the whole group getting high.  I don't think that comment was rude. Those places hire differently than a dealership. I think its reflected in their prices and quality.

My grandpa always has to have a new vehicle. While they have lived a nice life because he is a retired firefighter, they could of lived an awesome life if he would of let go of his need for a new vehicle.  He looks down on my parents for not having brand new and favors my uncle because he is the same as my grandpa.

Ive never asked what he thinks of my 03 civic, with its dents and rust and dog hair haha

CanuckStache

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »
Learn to do your own maintenance when possible... I do a synthetic oil change once a year. Costs like $30 and good for 15k miles. Just swapped spark plugs on the weekend. Took me an hour, and it was my first time doing so. Dealership wanted $200.

Ashcons

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2013, 04:31:22 PM »
Man I LOVE working on my car and I don't even consider myself a car guy or terribly handy. I've been changing my own oil since I was 16 - it's so easy a caveman could do it. Our current car (Mk5 VW Jetta 2.5L gasoline) material costs for Mobil 1 full synthetic runs me $22.47/5qt. at WM in the Euro formula and ~$7.50 for the K&N filter. Since the car has a filter cartridge set higher than the oil drain pan, I use the oil for 15k miles and swap the filter every 5k and top it off. The cost per "oil change" is approximately $24. The dealership is half an hour drive up the highway and costs $70 for a change and quick inspection. The best thing about changing my own oil is I do it in the driveway whenever I want to; no waiting in lines or sitting in a lobby reading some 6-month old SI or Field & Stream. I also like knowing that the job was either done right or I only have myself to blame.

When my wife was younger (18/19), she took her Jeep to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and they forgot to put the drain plug back in! She drove away and turned around when her engine started "making noises." Their response: "Oops...well we'll just put some oil in there now and you'll be set." She didn't know any better. The car was later totaled in an accident (she was hit), so who knows what sort of long-term damage that experience did to her engine.

I've upgraded the rear brake pads, changed the rotors, drained and replaced the brake fluid recently, which would have cost something like $250 at the dealership. I bought Rhino ramps for the job, a jack, jack stands, a few specialized tools for the job, parts on Amazon, and still did the work myself (including rotating my tires) for less than what it would have cost for the dealership. I use many of those same tools for each oil change now.

Since I'm not a car guy, I check forums and Youtube for information. I've helped friends and family with small maintenance and repair work and everyone seems to enjoy saving money.

girly mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »
A friend of mine at work just did this - she just paid off her Subaru and mentioned that she spends too much on gas (over $500/month) due to her 1 hour commute (not to mention miles and wear and tear this commute is causing - but I digress). She was considering buying an older b metter mileage car -- but instead came in with a 2013 VW diesel Jetta wagon - it suppose to get about 40 mpg (and truly, it is gorgeous) - but she now has a $400/month car payment + gas (I'm guessing still $200/mo) to make up for a car with a too high gas bill that was just paid off...?????? I asked what she did with the subaru and she said her husband is driving it - I asked about her husbands car - she says they are keeping it - you always need a truck, right? OUCH!

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2013, 09:01:28 AM »
I have a coworker who's talking about buying a new truck because she's almost done paying off the current one (which she never hauls anything in.) The good news is that those plans are now on hold until she's done paying for the DUI she just got.

m4nt0u

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »
No need to buy expensive OBD scanner.

Just get a ten dollars bluetooth OBD dongle (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=odb+ii&_sop=15&_osacat=6028&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R5.TR10.TRC0.A0.Xelm327+&_nkw=elm327+bluetooth+v1.5&_sacat=6028) on ebay. Install Torque app on your android phone. You will have a device with same functionally as expensive ODB scanner.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:55:21 PM by m4nt0u »

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 12:21:45 AM »
Humm... Compare cost of OBDII scanner to dongle + Android phone (anywhere from $80 to $600 per Google ads).

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2013, 05:30:52 AM »
Humm... Compare cost of OBDII scanner to dongle + Android phone (anywhere from $80 to $600 per Google ads).
You say that every time someone suggests using a smartphone for something. Most people already own smartphones - more than half of phone users nationwide, and a much higher proportion of mustachians.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!