Author Topic: Just bought tires for my Wife's SUV: Posting here for the facepunches  (Read 30039 times)

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Just bought tires for my Wife's SUV: Posting here for the facepunches
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »
So did Joet delete his profile? All his posts say "Guest" now...

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »
Are tires for certain other cars really double the cost, or am I missing something?

I think so: the size of the tire.  The OEM tires for my Insight (Bridgestone Potenza RE92 P165/65R14, a smallish but fairly exotic LRR tire) come in at only $79 each.  Other tires the same size come in around $40 or less.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »

It appears so.  I don't believe any admins deleted it, but I could be wrong, it looks like he deleted it himself.

Amazing how well his posting fit the pattern of the others who lasted awhile then deleted their accounts.

Anyone remember the username of that high income lady troll about a year ago?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2013, 06:55:43 PM »

It appears so.  I don't believe any admins deleted it, but I could be wrong, it looks like he deleted it himself.

Amazing how well his posting fit the pattern of the others who lasted awhile then deleted their accounts.

Wow. If he did delete it, that is one fragile persona. I hope it isn't so and wish him the best.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »
Still says Joet for me.  As an aside, I personally despise forums that allow members to delete their accounts and posts (or edit them to be blank months after the fact).  It makes all the responses lose context.

That said, the tire purchase was ridiculous.  You should have just rented the tires.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »
Still says Joet for me.  As an aside, I personally despise forums that allow members to delete their accounts and posts (or edit them to be blank months after the fact).  It makes all the responses lose context.

That said, the tire purchase was ridiculous.  You should have just rented the tires.

Yeah, it still says Joet, but you can't click on it and it says "guest" below his name.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »

That's what the quote feature is for.  I despise forums that do the opposite, only let me edit my posts for a short while.  The content of my post is mine, not belonging to the forum just because it's been a week or a month.

I agree that blanking a post outside of certain circumstances (deciding to remove personal information you no longer feel comfortable sharing, for example) is not cool, but not being able to do so is even worse, IMO.

In this case it looks like he just deleted his accounts without nuking any of the posts.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2013, 07:24:46 PM »

Kitty something.  But not either of the 2 Kitty's that come up when I searched on Kitty.

They are both welcome to stay as far as I am concerned... (or go if they want).  Diversity is good, and thought provoking. I think the "NOT biking" thread recently illustrated this well.

That being said, I don't condone their behaviour and agree with Tomsang and ARS:

The reason I am perplexed is not the tires, but your posts.  It is almost like you get joy out of posting on the antimustachian wall of shame.  Your posts are not posed as a learning experience or anything positive.  In fact you post it here, yet you defend the purchase.  Obviously, you know that it is Antimustachian by posting it in this forum, yet you are saying that they are a great value. 

Your various posts on your purchases and your wife's purchases appear to be a forum to brag about how much money you spend or make.  Which is perplexing as your posts on other topics are insightful and wise.  If you didn't have so many insightful posts, I would think that you are just a Troll. So I a perplexed on why you have been posting your receipts, your trip to Fiji, your tires, all your indiscretions, your wife's indiscretions, etc.  What are you trying to learn or share? 

To me they just come across as a warped way to brag about all the money that you are making and spending vs. anything constructive.  It just seems like you are on the wrong website, unless you like the attention of being the blacksheep.

You said it in a much nicer way than I did:
You clearly troll for responses, then act the martyr.

I can't remember the last time I said this (middle school?), but you really need to grow up.

At the end of the day: don't feed the trolls and at least I learnt something about tyres.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2013, 07:30:32 PM »

Kitty something.  But not either of the 2 Kitty's that come up when I searched on Kitty.

They are both welcome to stay as far as I am concerned... (or go if they want).  Diversity is good, and thought provoking. I think the "NOT biking" thread recently illustrated this well.

Ah yes, that was it, and let me find her posts: KittyWrestler. Sol had a decent summary of the trolling here

I agree with the welcome to stay.  It is just interesting to me how they end up flaming out after a few weeks/months.

The part that ended up annoying me most about Joet wasn't his spending at all.. it was the martyr attitude.

Oh well.  I wish the best of luck to him and his wife.  I hope they find a good balance.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »

That's what the quote feature is for.  I despise forums that do the opposite, only let me edit my posts for a short while.  The content of my post is mine, not belonging to the forum just because it's been a week or a month.

I agree that blanking a post outside of certain circumstances (deciding to remove personal information you no longer feel comfortable sharing, for example) is not cool, but not being able to do so is even worse, IMO.

In this case it looks like he just deleted his accounts without nuking any of the posts.

Yeah I guess I should quote everything in full every time I reply.  Maybe write a bot to crawl my favorite sites to archive their content just in case it blows up (see what happened to that long term returns blog).  But that's not really practical or polite.  I am ambivalent about the topic, but ultimately it's naive to think that you can ever truly control your words once you put them on the Internet. 

I personally use the modify feature frequently, but usually only to ninja-edit with additional content instead of making a follow-up post.  If you have some bit of personal information you need to change long after the fact, I'd prefer to get a mod involved.

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2013, 04:25:57 AM »
I have very rarely ever purchased tires. I haven't purchased new tires for the last several cars I have owned. I certainly won't ever buy them for the current vehicle.  If you are purchasing tires a lot you are driving too much!

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2013, 08:23:43 AM »
Being forced into a situation where you had to do something unMustachian (out of town needing the replacement ASAP, I'm assuming?) is different than deliberately choosing otherwise.

And it's different than posting about it on purpose to brag about your poor spending. :)

On the up side, I get free alignment and rotation for life at Firestone now. Yeah.

lol.  Nice.  :)

Yep, I was not only out of town, but the only way for me and my car to get home was to drive it back. It was a Saturday, I was leaving on Sunday. The situation was pretty dire. But, to be fair, if I had been paying attention I probably would have noticed that my tires were bald before I left to go to my parents' house 3 hours away.

ETA: I looked up my car on Tire Rack and they had no tires for my make and model. lol.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:29:28 AM by lisahi »

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2013, 08:51:48 AM »
Are you seriously equating Michelin Latitude Touring HPs vs Dunlop SPs as Jimmy Choos vs flip flops? ok, lol.

The Michelins are superior in all categories, and that 60k mile warranty on the Dunlops are worth about what you pay for it: nada

It's a premium product in all respects (handling, load, safety, wet/dry performance) and those parameters aren't even remotely comparable to a designer shoe. The cost is higher than this forum thinks is reasonable to spend on an entire vehicle--let alone tires or the emissions of said vehicle. I get it.

No, I'm saying that there is a middle ground. At some point, higher price does not mean better, or it not better enough to justify the additional expense.

$4 drug store flip flops and Jimmy Choos are not the only 2 choices.  There might be a nice pair of $85 shoes that will last you longer than the flip flops and be kind to your feet, but that don't cost designer prices.   

But by all means, tell yourself that this, like so many of your other choices, was a sound move. 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2013, 09:15:57 AM »

ETA: I looked up my car on Tire Rack and they had no tires for my make and model. lol.

Just curious: what make/model?  The only time I have ever had issues finding tires on tirerack are for an antique car.  ...and if that's the case, you might want to try http://www.cokertire.com/.  They stock (and remanufacture) all sorts of oddball/antique tires. 

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2013, 09:59:27 AM »

Just curious: what make/model?  The only time I have ever had issues finding tires on tirerack are for an antique car.  ...and if that's the case, you might want to try http://www.cokertire.com/.  They stock (and remanufacture) all sorts of oddball/antique tires.

2011 Hyundai Sonata. I don't think it's super difficult to find tires for Hyundai Sonatas in general. However, I have some sports version of the car (I really need to go look this up), where the diameter is large and the sidewall height is small. But I put in a search for all of the 2011 Hyundai Sonata models and Tire Rack wasn't giving me any results, and I don't believe all Hyundai Sonatas have those type of low-profile tires. Maybe I did it wrong.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2013, 10:08:34 AM »

2011 Hyundai Sonata. I don't think it's super difficult to find tires for Hyundai Sonatas in general. However, I have some sports version of the car (I really need to go look this up), where the diameter is large and the sidewall height is small. But I put in a search for all of the 2011 Hyundai Sonata models and Tire Rack wasn't giving me any results, and I don't believe all Hyundai Sonatas have those type of low-profile tires. Maybe I did it wrong.

You might try (or maybe you did already) searching for the tire size itself instead of searching by make/model.  If that combo was uncommon, they might not have it properly associated.  I.e, use this link: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchTires.jsp

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2013, 10:25:17 AM »

Good to know about cokertire.  245/45R16 tires were hugely popular just a decade ago, but now are almost completely extinct.  Last time I needed a couple, I could only find race tires in that size at first.  After a few months Bridgestone did come out with a new street tire in that size.  Checking recently I noted that the one Bridgestone model is still the only street tire available in that size these days!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »

Good to know about cokertire.  245/45R16 tires were hugely popular just a decade ago, but now are almost completely extinct.  Last time I needed a couple, I could only find race tires in that size at first.  After a few months Bridgestone did come out with a new street tire in that size.  Checking recently I noted that the one Bridgestone model is still the only street tire available in that size these days!

It's the only place I've been able to find Michelin 185R15's.  Well, there are some other places, but they are buying them from Coker.  Now they're no longer Michelin, but Coker remanufactured Michelins.    If you ask a tire store for that size, they'll tell you there is no such size and that there is a number missing.  No.  There isn't.  That's what tire sizes used to look like. 

GoStumpy

• Stubble
    • YNAB = The ultimate budgeting software
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2013, 10:35:45 AM »
There is only tire available for 195/45/15's right now, according to TireRack...

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2013, 11:53:49 AM »

With the ridiculous abundance of used 245/40s available, an upgrade to 17" wheels would pay for itself rather quickly.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »
What, no more Joet??!! Come back!

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2013, 04:00:47 PM »
With the ridiculous abundance of used 245/40s available, an upgrade to 17" wheels would pay for itself rather quickly.

If I lived someplace with better roads, perhaps.  The 16's are marginal.  They're scraped and dinged up.  A friend with 17's on the same car was buying at least one new wheel every year due to them getting damaged enough to start leaking.  The multiple freeze/thaw cycles here during the changing of the seasons just destroys the roads.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2013, 05:41:23 PM »
I admit I've wondered about 17" (or larger) wheels.  I mean, the tire sidewall size shrinks, so the tread has the same diameter, so what's the point?  Unless they're a really light alloy, the tire/wheel combo is going to weigh more on a larger rim...

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2013, 05:53:11 PM »
I admit I've wondered about 17" (or larger) wheels.  I mean, the tire sidewall size shrinks, so the tread has the same diameter, so what's the point?  Unless they're a really light alloy, the tire/wheel combo is going to weigh more on a larger rim...

Above some size (which may vary by car and suspension setup, and transmission), it's just an aesthetic choice. But within reason, bigger wheels can get bigger brakes, which can be a real performance benefit, and the reduction in sidewall height (and typically one would expect a wider rim, too) can have cornering benefits. There are downsides, though.

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »

The number one benefit is tire selection.  As noted above, if you have a car with a 25" OD tire and 16" wheel, you are limited to 205/55 and 225/50 pretty much. 

In a 17" you get 225/45 and 245/40 and 255/40 from nearly all the big brand manufacturers - especially if you are looking for performance.

The number two benefit is wheel selection - which is mostly driven by #1.  if you happen to be looking for aftermarket wheels, they are generally going to be made in sizes that have large tire selections.  Again, for performance, you'll find much wider wheels in 17" fitments for most cars than 16" fitments.

Blue - where do you live, and what do you drive?  I find it hard to believe wheels are getting bent with a 25" tire on a 17" wheel.  That's a crazy common size, even OEM.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2013, 09:32:18 AM »
Blue - where do you live, and what do you drive?  I find it hard to believe wheels are getting bent with a 25" tire on a 17" wheel.  That's a crazy common size, even OEM.

I believe Blue lives in IL as do I. I can totally confirm that even a 16" wheel (with 205/50R16) is in danger on IL roads, let alone 17" or larger with thinner sidewalls.

As far as other thoughts:

15" tires in any size are becoming more scarce. It doesn't matter if it's for trucks, cars, etc. For sure, there will always be 15" tires available but the development of new and better tires for 15" wheels will be limited.

16" are the new 15". Still some tires available, but the are following the 15" as far as new development.

17" are what I believe will be the most common "smaller" wheels in the future. I would not feel afraid of 17" availability in the future. However it is clear that 18-20" wheels are here to stay.

20" at this time is about the practical limit to still maintain sidewall (for cars). I do not believe we will see a whole lot of development of bigger wheel sizes... but people said the same thing about "big" 16's in the 90's.

As far as the "best" wheel size, it depends. Generally, less sidewall means better handling. Generally, bigger wheels mean a heavier tire/wheel package, which means more unsprung weight (bad for handling and ride), and more rotation weight (bad for a low-powered vehicle). There have been tests with identical sets of wheels / tires on low-powered lighter vehicles, where the only difference was wheel size (e.g. 17 vs. 18 vs. 19) and the smaller wheels bested the larger ones.

As an example, for my Focus, I settled on 15" rims with snow tires for winter - plenty of sidewall to absorb bumps from the huge potholes that develop during winter. For three seasons I eschewed the typical 17" setup because of the low sidewall height and the poor roads here in IL, as well as the weight (though lightweight 17's are widely available). Instead I went with sticky 225/50R16's which are available as a niche tire for dual use racing and daily driving. They are slightly taller than stock but that is a benefit in my case. Additionally, the 16" wheels are generally lighter than 17's. Because of the construction of the tires, there is little to no tradeoff in handling even with the taller sidewall.

I am getting rid of our Volvo S40, but for that I had planned on 17's. 18's and 19's look awesome on them but the size is impractical due to our roads (the sidewalls would be 35 aspect ratio at best... very skinny). They would be bent in short order. Heck, I've had to fix 2 wheel bends on the stock 17's and I am a careful driver.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 09:12:46 AM »

The part that ended up annoying me most about Joet wasn't his spending at all.. it was the martyr attitude.

Oh well.  I wish the best of luck to him and his wife.  I hope they find a good balance.

I agree.  People have to make their own decisions about life.  I just don't understand crowing about behaviour that is contrary to the spirit of the site and then moaning when people don't agree with them.

GoStumpy

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2013, 12:31:43 PM »
If they can take the facepunches, then more power to him...

That's like me bragging about spending $8000 on an SUV (on a loan), then spending almost $2000 on accessories for it...

If I did (which I might)  I'm prepared for all the fallout, and I'm not going to get butthurt if somebody calls me an idiot... because in some people's views, what I'm doing is stupid... but in my personal life, which is different from others, it actually makes sense.

Same applies to buddy with his tires... in his personal life, it made sense, so he did it... then comes on here to gauge our reaction, he got butthurt, and left.

LOL

BOOSH!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2013, 07:27:50 PM »
Oooh I'm a little late to this little party. Chalk me up as another who got a chuckle out of JoeT's misadventures.

I reckon Mrs JoeT might have found out about what he has been posting here. Poor guy, never slag off the wifey mate. You will never win.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2013, 09:36:12 PM »
I'm late too.  Bummed that Joet might be gone.  I thought he was funny...not like I was laughing at him, but his sense of humor made me chuckle.  Come back!

I have an SUV with 17" tires.  I do live at 9000 ft elevation in the mountains, so an SUV is with clearance is sometimes necessary.  However, those tires are outrageous.  I got a flat tire last week that ruined my tire...had to get a new set at $900.   I can't imagine why anyone would WANT an SUV given all the extra expenses. 

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2013, 12:42:13 AM »
I reckon Mrs JoeT might have found out about what he has been posting here. Poor guy, never slag off the wifey mate. You will never win.

That's my guess too.  She found out about everything he was sharing here, most of it badmouthing her, and after a big knockdown drag out, he deleted his account. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »

That's my guess too.  She found out about everything he was sharing here, most of it badmouthing her, and after a big knockdown drag out, he deleted his account.

Makes sense.

He probably went to use one of these threads as "proof" of something in an argument, I.e. "well look at what all these people said when I posted about it" and showed her a thread and she went "WHAT" and that was that.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2013, 12:46:59 PM »
I got a flat tire last week that ruined my tire...had to get a new set at $900.

Could you explain exactly why you think having one flat tire means you have to get a set of four?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2013, 01:50:29 PM »

Makes sense.

He probably went to use one of these threads as "proof" of something in an argument, I.e. "well look at what all these people said when I posted about it" and showed her a thread and she went "WHAT" and that was that.
Bringing the opinion of your internet buddies to the table during a relationship struggle...

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2013, 11:19:02 AM »

Could you explain exactly why you think having one flat tire means you have to get a set of four?

AWD.  If there's an irreparable leak, you end up getting all 4 new tires if the old ones aren't practically new (typically the owner's manual will specify a tread difference allowed, something around 2/32 is pretty normal).

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2013, 01:48:07 PM »

AWD.  If there's an irreparable leak, you end up getting all 4 new tires if the old ones aren't practically new (typically the owner's manual will specify a tread difference allowed, something around 2/32 is pretty normal).

Exactly.  The tire was ruined and the tires had 25K miles on them.  It can screw up something (the differential may be?  I don't know) if one tire has a different tread than the others.  Yet one more strike against AWD/4WD.   As long as we live up here, we'll have AWD, but if we move, I won't miss it.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »
Strange.  My 4WD pickup has been running different tires since way before I bought it (maybe 5 years now?).  I don't believe there were two of the same brand on it when I got it.

But keep on with buying full sets: it just means lots more good, cheap used tires available when I get flats :-)

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2013, 05:22:10 PM »

Exactly.  The tire was ruined and the tires had 25K miles on them.  It can screw up something (the differential may be?  I don't know) if one tire has a different tread than the others.  Yet one more strike against AWD/4WD.   As long as we live up here, we'll have AWD, but if we move, I won't miss it.

Just buy one tire and have it shaved to the correct depth.

GoStumpy

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2013, 09:18:07 PM »
Or buy a 4wd not some crappy AWD, LOL

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2013, 12:17:02 PM »
Strange.  My 4WD pickup has been running different tires since way before I bought it (maybe 5 years now?).  I don't believe there were two of the same brand on it when I got it.

But keep on with buying full sets: it just means lots more good, cheap used tires available when I get flats :-)

Most older 4x4's have part-time 4x4 and aren't as affected by differing tire sizes if the 4x4 is only used on slippery surfaces. Most newer AWD's are full time and use a center differential and some can be damaged if the tires are different sizes, or if its towed with two wheels up, etc. Even a drastic tire pressure difference can cause problems.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2013, 12:38:03 PM »
Or buy a 4wd not some crappy AWD, LOL

It's the same.  I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee totally screwed up when the tire dealer put different tires on accidentally.   

Road conditions can vary widely on my drive from one mile to the next.  You might have completely dry roads and then hit a shady section that is a sheet of ice.   I like AWD because I don't have to keep taking the car in and out of 4WD. 

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2013, 01:06:50 PM »

Most older 4x4's have part-time 4x4 and aren't as affected by differing tire sizes if the 4x4 is only used on slippery surfaces. Most newer AWD's are full time and use a center differential and some can be damaged if the tires are different sizes, or if its towed with two wheels up, etc. Even a drastic tire pressure difference can cause problems.

Part time 4wd = manually lockable center diff
AWD = limited slip center diff (in most cases).  Different size tires means the diff slips more often than it should/for extended periods of time and wears out too quickly.

mgreczyn

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2013, 08:43:38 AM »
costco, americas tires, tires direct, tire rack, and random googl-ing used. I'm sure it's possible someone will find a lower load rating/speed rating/leftover of the same tire for less but I did my best

Yes, SUV/light truck tires cost more than those for your lawn mower. Last month I replaced the REARS of my 335i for ~$900, and that was a good deal. Those last me about 20k miles
Back before I saw the light, I used to want a 335i, especially after my buddy let me see how fast his twin turbo would get to 60.  Then he told me the tires cost over a grand, and my desire to own one instantly evaporated.  They sure are purdy though, so I really appreciate that all you folks with too much money buy them so I have something nice to look at as I tool around in my 12 year old college mobile.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2013, 09:01:21 AM »
AWD = limited slip center diff (in most cases).  Different size tires means the diff slips more often than it should/for extended periods of time and wears out too quickly.

I don't want to get too nitpicky but not all (in fact, most) part-time 4wd do not have a lockable center diff (manually or automatically). Most AWD have some sort of adjustable center diff (whether it's full or partially locking (i.e. limited sli), manual, or automatic). Bottom line, if someone has AWD they just need to know what they have in case they run across a situation where they need to decide whether to run different size tires front and rear OR, in a more likely situation, they need to have the car / truck towed and need to decide whether a flatbed is required. Additionally, the thought above can apply even with 2wd, if you have a limited slip or locking diff, running different size tires (or one worn more than the other) on each side can screw it up, especially if it is a plate-type differential and not a viscous (sp) type.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something here.  All cars have differentials on the drive axles.  Why doesn't running two tires with different wear levels on the same axle harm the differential of a 2WD car?  FTM, if you go around a sharp curve, you're going to have far more difference in rotation rates than would be caused by such a slight difference in tire size.

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2013, 06:36:53 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something here.  All cars have differentials on the drive axles.  Why doesn't running two tires with different wear levels on the same axle harm the differential of a 2WD car?  FTM, if you go around a sharp curve, you're going to have far more difference in rotation rates than would be caused by such a slight difference in tire size.

It will, if that car has a friction based limited slip.  But a very low percentage of cars have these... most 2WD cars have an open diff.

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2013, 06:42:58 AM »
I don't want to get too nitpicky but not all (in fact, most) part-time 4wd do not have a lockable center diff (manually or automatically).

Really?  Which ones?  When I think part-time I mostly think of trucks.  I've never had a truck, but everyone one my father has owned had a transfer case you engaged to put it in 4WD mode, and it would lock the center diff.

His last pathfinder did have AWD and 4WD...  AWD would leave the center in a limited slip/active mode, 4WD would simply lock it.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »

It will, if that car has a friction based limited slip.  But a very low percentage of cars have these... most 2WD cars have an open diff.

The helical and viscous LSD manufacturers also tell you not to have different tires.  Viscous LSDs will overheat.  Not sure what the failure mode is on helicals, but probably heat as well.  My AWD car has 2 helicals and 1 viscous.  I won't buy anything with a clutch LSD, it's too hard to determine if it's worn (until you get stuck) and they're a pain to replace.  My RWD is open.  Occasionally I've been tempted to put a LSD in, but having to get it towed if I get a flat tire would be real annoying (front tires are different size from the rear, so I can't put the spare on the front and move a front to the rear like some RWD cars can).

There's a big difference between turning a corner occasionally and having different tires (which is like turning a corner even when the car is pointed straight).

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2013, 05:43:53 PM »
I've never had a truck, but everyone one my father has owned had a transfer case you engaged to put it in 4WD mode, and it would lock the center diff.

I've only owned Toyotas, but I don't believe they even have a "center differential".  The transfer case is gears, which allow 4WD to be engaged or disengaged, and be put into high or low range when in 4WD.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!