Author Topic: Just bought tires for my Wife's SUV: Posting here for the facepunches  (Read 30040 times)

Joet

High performance Wet/Dry all-season tire, rated/warrantied for 55k miles or about another 5 years at current driving rate. I tried to buy something cheaper, I tried to set the SUV on fire and go with a 1988 hyundai excel but failed. I simply went for and chose the highest performance/best quality tire I could find in my price range. The Bridgestone Dueller OE tires would have saved a solid $300

Oh anti-MMM ways, I can't quit you
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:20:46 PM by Joet »

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
You spent $1200 on tires?!?!  I had no idea that existed.  I've always driven small, cheap cars and I knew tires for them were less than for larger cars, but I had no idea it was that much less.

Did you shop around, a lot?  Is that truly the best price out there?  Sweet baby Jesus on a pogo stick; people buy entire cars for $1200!

Joet

costco, americas tires, tires direct, tire rack, and random googl-ing used. I'm sure it's possible someone will find a lower load rating/speed rating/leftover of the same tire for less but I did my best

Yes, SUV/light truck tires cost more than those for your lawn mower. Last month I replaced the REARS of my 335i for ~$900, and that was a good deal. Those last me about 20k miles

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Why did you buy tires?  Isn't the car going to be traded in soon?  Can't have an old car - someone might think you are on welfare!

Can't argue about the price.  You could go with cheaper tires, but a  pair of Yokohama Geolandars for the Highlander were over $500 last winter.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
I paid $1200 for my car.  It came with tires.

ChiStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ahhhh, Sport Utility Vehicles. The gifts that keep on giving (face punches).

Eric

• Magnum Stache
I hope you at least mail in the rebate forms.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
The "nicer" of our two cars (both paid-for-with-cash) is a 1998 Passat, clocking 175,000+ miles. The Kelley Blue Book value is $1,330. I enjoy driving it a lot.

Thanks for enhancing my enjoyment of our Passat, JoeT - such a mitzvah you have done for me!

Joet

does your shoulder hurt at all? maybe a little sore?

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
A friend of mine has an Infiniti Whateverlargemobile, and his tires (19" in a low profile size) were ~$2k last year.  My own anti-Mustachemobile, a supercharged Ford Lightning that gets 14 mpg, recently got rear tires for less than $300, and those were 20".  I think the 20s are popular now and so are cheaper.

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Just bought tires for my Wife's SUV: Posting here for the facepunches
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 05:46:50 PM »
Joet you perplex me.

Joet

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 05:52:21 PM »
I don't understand the perplexion. vehicle needs tires. Sure I could get some retreads or take the wife to take the bus (this is her car) or hang out on craigslist or pick up those geolanders mentioned (in this size It's still over $800 installed after tax)
Selling the vehicle wasnt on the table (this is the wifes car). As anti-MMM as it may be, her decision is to own it another 5 years. These are the best tires for the $ I could find. The end. Thank you for listening. baby steps and all that. I understand it is facepunch worthy to continue down the path of not owning a $1200 automobile (or whatever the MMM preferred level of automobile value is if I am mistaken)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 06:07:21 PM »
At least they're big, in 55k miles they will be easy targets to practice throwing spirals through them in your yard. :)

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 06:14:33 PM »
Updates:
1) I was wrong: DH's 1994 Saturn is worth over $1,400, making it the "nicer" car in our household.

2) I forgot to mention that the Passat is a turbo 4 manual: dump dat clutch!

Joet

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 06:17:27 PM »
you still ok with that shoulder?

renbutler

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 06:29:46 PM »
Ahhhh, Sport Utility Vehicles. The gifts that keep on giving (face punches).

In the spring we bought four tires for our mid-size SUV. Perfectly fine tires rated for 50,000 miles.

Only $428 for the set of four.

Granted, we got a discount because my niece's husband works there. But not every SUV owner has to pay $1000-plus for tires.

(Our SUV was also the lowest cost to insure of any other vehicle -- not just among SUVs -- in its model year. It gets over 20 mpg reliably too.)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 06:31:59 PM »
you still ok with that shoulder?

I take it you mean the chip thereon? I'm not sure what else you expected posting this. Sympathy? Or confirmation you did the right thing? Good luck

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 06:39:56 PM »
You wanted the face punches....

I don't object to newer cars, and I don't really object to overweight gas guzzlers except on environmental grounds.  It's your money.  As long as you are spending consciously, you "conform" to the MMM way of thinking.  What I find very silly is this dance you are doing with your wife and the participants of this forum.  You post the expenditures, say they are deserving of face punches, and then dismiss every criticism as if it is coming from unknowledgeable and financially inferior people to justify what you have done.  What's the point?  Do you feel better about what you are doing?

My guess is you will never reach FI.  I'm not a huge Dave Ramsey fan, but I think he is correct in observing that you cannot out earn a spender.  The more you make, the more the lifestyle is inflated and the further away FI is because of the increased spending.  Your FI "goal" won't even support your current lifestyle.  How are you going to catch up to the spending?  And neither you nor your wife seem to understand that there is little correlation between spending and happiness, which is a major theme running through this blog and the forums.

Oh, well, have a good time in Fiji.  It will give you a topic of conversation when you get back to work with the rest of the high level wage slaves.   

Joet

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 06:54:10 PM »
woah relax there tough guy. I know it isnt a good thing, and I realize you guys (some of you?) expect me to go from zero to hero in 12 days or whatever. I'm making progress, and doing better. Hopefully you and yours and everyone else is moving along at a pace/consumption path they are happy with. Alright, I'm done here, looks like the lifestyle attacks are en route, further replies will be ignored-- I promise not to look at this thread again. (even if I am honestly curious what kind of retreads where avail for $400!)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 07:00:16 PM »
You clearly troll for responses, then act the martyr.

I can't remember the last time I said this (middle school?), but you really need to grow up.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 07:36:58 PM »
woah relax there tough guy. I know it isnt a good thing, and I realize you guys (some of you?) expect me to go from zero to hero in 12 days or whatever. I'm making progress, and doing better. Hopefully you and yours and everyone else is moving along at a pace/consumption path they are happy with. Alright, I'm done here, looks like the lifestyle attacks are en route, further replies will be ignored-- I promise not to look at this thread again. (even if I am honestly curious what kind of retreads where avail for $400!)
As I hope I have made plain in previous (other) threads, I'm a big JoeT fan! I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. I was just saying how I felt about our current vehicles vs. your current tire expense. That's less judgmental and more highlighting contrasting experiences.

I have been (close to) where you are today. I am rooting for you. I hope you can stay here and accept sincere feedback that is (at times) a little tough but sincere and genuinely supportive. (OK, at least mine is.) Hang in there. xoxo

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 11:09:15 PM »
As I hope I have made plain in previous (other) threads, I'm a big JoeT fan! I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. I was just saying how I felt about our current vehicles vs. your current tire expense. That's less judgmental and more highlighting contrasting experiences.

I have been (close to) where you are today. I am rooting for you. I hope you can stay here and accept sincere feedback that is (at times) a little tough but sincere and genuinely supportive. (OK, at least mine is.) Hang in there. xoxo

If this message is important, you may want to PM him, as he's claimed he's not going to read this thread again in a classic "take my ball and go home and pout" scenario.  (I call bullshit.)

If you don't care if he reads it, whatever, no need.

:)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 05:23:01 AM »
Alright, I'm done here, looks like the lifestyle attacks are en route, further replies will be ignored-- I promise not to look at this thread again.

So you post in the Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy, your subject title says "Posting here for the facepunches", and yet you feel wounded when you get exactly what you seem to be asking for. Strange.

Micheal

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 05:51:19 AM »
I must be a lucky S.O.B. or its just a rural thing, I get my tires from a guy who does em for $35 a pop, has done for years.  I bring in my rims and he takes off the old one and puts ona new tire, checks for leaks then balances them.  He's one of those awesome old school types who can balance a tire just by bouncing it, and adding weights.  You may want to look into a small tire shop in your area, make friends with the farmers and old guys who hang out in gas station booths in the A.M. they will tell you who is good and who will screw you among other great things.  But spending 1200 on tires is just not necessary.  Your local wally world would have them for cheaper.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 07:18:59 AM »
At least you got free valve stems. Not bad...

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 08:53:57 AM »
My first thought was:  55k miles?  That's not bad at all. 

Seriously.  Over the course of owning that vehicle for 100k miles, $1200 in tires is almost trivial.

My second thought was:  All season tires?  Ewww
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:57:04 AM by prodarwin »

GoStumpy

• Stubble
    • YNAB = The ultimate budgeting software
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 08:59:09 AM »
Agree ^

If you get 55k miles out of these, they're costing you ~2 cents per mile... lol :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »
Agree ^

If you get 55k miles out of these, they're costing you ~2 cents per mile... lol :)

And if he paid half that, $600, it'd only be one cent per mile.

Would it be okay to pay double, 2400, because that's "only" 4 cents per mile?

Breaking down the cost per use a lot of times is ridiculous.  What you should be comparing it to is alternatives.

GoStumpy

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 10:37:23 AM »
Tires are not something to cheap out on.  Any wealthy person will tell you, don't skimp on certain things.

Shoes are one, and tires are shoes for your car... Don't skimp on the important stuff.

Cheap tires will wear out in 25k miles, or they won't provide good traction in emergency situations...

Sorry, tires are one thing I will never skimp on.  They are (hopefully) the only part of your vehicle touching the road!

Joet

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 10:40:55 AM »
alright I peeked (I know I said I wouldn't) but I only rapidly skimmed:

*accepts facepunches

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 10:56:18 AM »
Shoes are one, and tires are shoes for your car.

Oh, got it.

Ski boots are shoes for when I'm skiing.  I'm assuming I shouldn't skimp on those.  $1,295 is reasonable, right?  Ditto, of course, with things like waterskis.

How much is a reasonable price to make sure I'm not skimping on bowling shoes?

How about shoes for my cats?  I probably shouldn't skimp on those, right?

I'm assuming if I play horseshoes I should buy a very expensive set.

Getting an expensive shoehorn is probably going overboard. 

Or is it?

GoStumpy

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 11:10:48 AM »
I think you're going a bit overboard here :)

Cheapest possible:  $128ea ($512 total) with a 60k Mile Warranty (Dunlop SP)
Most Expensive: $315ea ($1260 total) with a 30k Mile Warranty (Michelin Latitude)
(according to tirerack.com)

Ok, you're right.  He went with the absolute most expensive... which works out to just over double the price of the cheapest...

I can't defend that... I'm a guy that will buy a name-brand tire like BFG or Michelin instead of General or Kumho, but I think Dunlop makes pretty decent tires...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:13:43 AM by GoStumpy »

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »
Sorry, tires are one thing I will never skimp on.  They are (hopefully) the only part of your vehicle touching the road!

Agreed. I've had many, many sets of new and used tires and people do not put enough emphasis on this. In the old days, sure, you could throw used tires on and be OK, because all vehicles were comparatively low performance (60-0 braking in over 200 feet, for example). Now, not so much. I've even shyed away from low rolling resistance tires, because naturally the trade off is static and dynamic traction. In addition, Michelins are generally very long wearing tires, my only complaint is usually the sidewalls weather check before the tread is worn out (but sidewalls not cracked to a dangerous point).

Of course the choice of vehicle and its resultant wheel size is another subject. I am not that old but remember when 16's were considered big wheels :)

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 11:13:34 AM »
Cheap tires will wear out in 25k miles, or they won't provide good traction in emergency situations...

Not necessarily so.  In fact, expensive "performance" tires may well wear out sooner than less expensive alternatives.

As per the example GoStumpy just posted :-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 11:35:14 AM »
I think you're going a bit overboard here :)

Naturally.  Sometimes being silly is the best way to make a point.  Reductio ad absurdum can be useful.  :)

Ok, you're right.  He went with the absolute most expensive...

Thanks.  There's a difference between paying for quality and making sure you're being safe and buying the absolute most expensive just because.

I totally agree with you not to skimp on tires.  I rode a motorcycle for awhile, and that's one thing you just don't skimp on.  But that doesn't mean you use that as an excuse to justify mindlessly spending as much as you can.

GoStumpy

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 11:45:33 AM »

I totally agree with you not to skimp on tires.  I rode a motorcycle for awhile, and that's one thing you just don't skimp on.  But that doesn't mean you use that as an excuse to justify mindlessly spending as much as you can.

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »
I'm a guy that will buy a name-brand tire like BFG or Michelin instead of General or Kumho, but I think Dunlop makes pretty decent tires...

This statement is a bit silly. 

ALL of those companies make good tires, and ALL of those companies make shitty tires.  It varies from tire to tire. 

GoStumpy

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
Yes and no... they all make different tires, for different applications, some good in dry, some good in wet, some good at long life, some good in snow, etc... The cheap ones are usually only good at one thing, the expensive ones can be good at two or more things in one tire :thumbup:

In my defense, I'm only in this thread because I'm currently shopping for some tires for my new vehicle purchase, and found Yokohama Geolander's for ~$141/tire, I'm sure there are cheaper options, but these do everything I need the best.

I also found 4 one-season used studded snow tires for $200 for all 4, I just need to find rims to put them on.  That's a great deal!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2013, 12:19:12 PM »
Some of you are deluding yourselves, and doing it the ways that often keep people broke.

Sure, paying for qualify makes sense.  But it's being used as an excuse to give one's self permission to be excessive.  Yes, buying decent shoes can mean they last longer and are more comfortable.  But the logical conclusion of that is not that buying a $700 pair if Jimmy Choos is anywhere near reasonable. Joe's car now has a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes. 

Joet

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2013, 12:27:22 PM »
Are you seriously equating Michelin Latitude Touring HPs vs Dunlop SPs as Jimmy Choos vs flip flops? ok, lol.

The Michelins are superior in all categories, and that 60k mile warranty on the Dunlops are worth about what you pay for it: nada

It's a premium product in all respects (handling, load, safety, wet/dry performance) and those parameters aren't even remotely comparable to a designer shoe. The cost is higher than this forum thinks is reasonable to spend on an entire vehicle--let alone tires or the emissions of said vehicle. I get it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:42:05 PM by Joet »

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2013, 01:07:28 PM »
The reason I am perplexed is not the tires, but your posts.  It is almost like you get joy out of posting on the antimustachian wall of shame.  Your posts are not posed as a learning experience or anything positive.  In fact you post it here, yet you defend the purchase.  Obviously, you know that it is Antimustachian by posting it in this forum, yet you are saying that they are a great value. 

Your various posts on your purchases and your wife's purchases appear to be a forum to brag about how much money you spend or make.  Which is perplexing as your posts on other topics are insightful and wise.  If you didn't have so many insightful posts, I would think that you are just a Troll. So I a perplexed on why you have been posting your receipts, your trip to Fiji, your tires, all your indiscretions, your wife's indiscretions, etc.  What are you trying to learn or share? 

To me they just come across as a warped way to brag about all the money that you are making and spending vs. anything constructive.  It just seems like you are on the wrong website, unless you like the attention of being the blacksheep.

Joet

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »
point taken, thank you. I guess I am over-sharing

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2013, 01:19:21 PM »
The reason I am perplexed is not the tires, but your posts.  It is almost like you get joy out of posting on the antimustachian wall of shame.  Your posts are not posed as a learning experience or anything positive.  In fact you post it here, yet you defend the purchase.  Obviously, you know that it is Antimustachian by posting it in this forum, yet you are saying that they are a great value. 

Your various posts on your purchases and your wife's purchases appear to be a forum to brag about how much money you spend or make.  Which is perplexing as your posts on other topics are insightful and wise.  If you didn't have so many insightful posts, I would think that you are just a Troll. So I a perplexed on why you have been posting your receipts, your trip to Fiji, your tires, all your indiscretions, your wife's indiscretions, etc.  What are you trying to learn or share? 

To me they just come across as a warped way to brag about all the money that you are making and spending vs. anything constructive.  It just seems like you are on the wrong website, unless you like the attention of being the blacksheep.

You said it in a much nicer way than I did:

I can't remember the last time I said this (middle school?), but you really need to grow up.

It's not about over-sharing. Some of us share plenty of personal financial info.  It's about the attitude while doing it, and after.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2013, 01:25:06 PM »

You said it in a much nicer way than I did:

It's not about over-sharing. Some of us share plenty of personal financial info.  It's about the attitude while doing it, and after.
If you're explicitly confessing to an act you are either somewhat ambivalent about or downright regretful of, please read and interact instead of storming off in a snit. (And then returning.) I, for one, was supportive. But you were snotty in return.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »
I'll admit to spending around $1000 recently for 4 tires. Before I started trying to be mustachian, I bought a new 2011 Hyundai Sonata. It's not a gas guzzler, and it's a dependable car, so it's served me well. But I allowed my Dad (who is in love with negotiating to buy cars) to pick out the specific Hyundai Sonata I eventually purchased. Turns out it's a Sports model with tires so rare that neither Costco nor Sam's Club carry them. You see, last time I got a tire replaced, the shop failed to align it properly and, well, bald tires up front. The back two tires were riddled with nails going sideways through the rubber because my neighborhood has been under construction this past year. All four tires needed to be replaced. I was out of town and we could only find these "special" tires at Firestone (forgive me, I know little about tires, but it's not the brand of tire that is special, it's the type of tire, and I don't have the terminology to explain it here). Firestone made two versions of this tire, only one of which was in stock and, well, $1000. On the up side, I get free alignment and rotation for life at Firestone now. Yeah.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2013, 03:09:43 PM »
Being forced into a situation where you had to do something unMustachian (out of town needing the replacement ASAP, I'm assuming?) is different than deliberately choosing otherwise.

And it's different than posting about it on purpose to brag about your poor spending. :)

On the up side, I get free alignment and rotation for life at Firestone now. Yeah.

lol.  Nice.  :)

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2013, 03:35:47 PM »
Well, to turn this in to something useful (ha), I use Tire Rack's reviews (both customer and their own) and charts to make a decision. I would say after buying maybe 10 sets of tires through them, their observations generally mirror my own. Sometimes they aren't the cheapest but on the whole they seem to be a quality outfit and stand behind their product so that's worth a little more in my book.

As far as cost vs. quality, it's an interesting scale. Low end (less expensive) does not necessarily mean low quality. For example, I value traction and handling, cost, tread life, and tire noise in that order. I have been buying Continental ContiSport Contact (I think that's what it's called, would have to look) which IIRC is considered high performance to ultra high performance all season tire. It definitely delivers in dry and wet traction, and is even more than acceptable in snow. However it is a noisy sumb*tch with some miles on it (note, I do not know if this is the tire, my rotation schedule, or the alignment quirks of my particular car). I have noticed this also with similar Kumho and Falken products. However, since I know what I value, it is an acceptable trade off to have a tire which is about half the cost of a moderately high end well-known brand name tire. Also it helps that it is a common size (225/45R17), which will tend to lower tire costs. If you know what you are looking for it's a compromise in optimisation like everything else.

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2013, 03:45:59 PM »
I just looked up tires for my car (2005 Scion xA) on Tire Rack. The most expensive tire listed there was only $512 for a set of 4, including the optional Road Hazard insurance. For our previous car, a 2001 Subaru Forester, the most expensive set is $600. Are tires for certain other cars really double the cost, or am I missing something?

GoStumpy

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »
18" low profile tires are definitely more expensive than 15 or 16" tires!

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »
Good tires cost money.  Having good tires has saved my life before.  The prices are annoyingly high though.  My cars just have 16" wheels, but tires are $250 a piece, when you can find them.  It's getting really hard to fine 16" tires wide enough to fit my cars anymore.  I just bought 16" wheels a few years back because I couldn't find any tires that fit the stock 14" wheels anymore.  Sigh.