Author Topic: Just $600 for dirty, beat-up sneakers  (Read 3645 times)

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
Just $600 for dirty, beat-up sneakers
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:04:16 AM »
I saw this being shared by incredulous friends on Facebook. Barneys is selling $600 designer "distressed" sneakers, which means they come out of the box dirty, ripped, beaten-up, etc. One pair comes pre-patched with duct tape:

http://www.barneys.com/designer/golden-goose/N-oarw82

The About section says these designers make "effortlessly cool sneakers and boots for men and women that are perpetual favorites of the fashion crowd."

There really is no limit to the stupid things rich people will spend their money on, is there? Sometimes I wonder if products like this are a private joke by the designers to see what the most ridiculous thing is they can get people to buy.

crispy

Re: Just $600 for dirty, beat-up sneakers
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »
They are called Golden Goose so it sounds like they have a sense of humor. I hope people realize that they can buy nasty sneakers at a yard sale or thrift store and save $600.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 02:00:58 PM »
They are called Golden Goose so it sounds like they have a sense of humor. I hope people realize that they can buy nasty sneakers at a yard sale or thrift store and save $600.

Buying your sneakers at a yard sale? Big spender! I climb trees and get my pre-distressed sneakers FOR FREE from powerlines. People leave them just hanging there! All you have to do is untie the laces.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 11:08:46 AM »
I guess I won't ever shop there b/c I don't want to deal with retailers who cater to people who would spend $600 on "distressed sneakers".

Side note: if anyone wants a pair of $600 distressed sneakers, I'll go home barefoot today for $300. Just PM me. ;)

I'll have another pair of distressed sneakers ready tomorrow if anyone needs another pair.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 03:34:53 PM by Joe Lucky »

dividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 12:50:33 PM »
Am I the only one who loves the aesthetic of these?  There's a purple low-top pair that I am lusting after.  But they are really stupid overpriced. 

To be fair, the kids versions :
http://www.goldengoosedeluxebrand.com/it/en/shop/kids
Are like half as much.

:)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »
I'm sending this webpage to my wife.  She made me throw out my last pair of shoes that had duct tape holding them together.  Apparently that just made them more valuable. . .

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 01:13:08 PM »
I know some hipsters living in Brooklyn who would buy these sneakers. They also buy bowls of Lucky Charms and Captain Crunch at restaurants in their neighborhood for $10. Being fake poor is sooooo hip.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 01:15:19 PM »
Reminds me of when ripped jeans were popular.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »
One could argue it is immoral to buy those.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 06:02:18 PM »
I know some hipsters living in Brooklyn who would buy these sneakers. They also buy bowls of Lucky Charms and Captain Crunch at restaurants in their neighborhood for $10. Being fake poor is sooooo hip.

Right?! It's the "fake poor" aesthetic that really rubs me the wrong way. Most people who wear shoes that look like that do so out of necessity, not because it's cool. I don't think rich people have to apologize just for being rich, but rich people who romanticize poverty are terrible human beings who need to reevaluate their life choices.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!