Author Topic: Johnny Depp blown through $650 million  (Read 16159 times)

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
Johnny Depp blown through $650 million
« on: January 31, 2017, 11:05:24 PM »
Actor Johnny depp apparently has pretty much blown through $650 million in earnings.  Now suing his financial advisors even though they say he was spending  $2mill a month. Poor guy.

Someone should have pointed him to MMM and vanguard!  ;-)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Johnny Depp blown through $650 million
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:36:04 PM »
Flying his dogs half way around the world on a private jet because he was bored on holiday and fighting the Australian Government when said dogs were locked up in quarantine would certainly contribute to his financial woes.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 01:33:35 AM »
Actor Johnny depp apparently has pretty much blown through $650 million in earnings.  Now suing his financial advisors even though they say he was spending  $2mill a month. Poor guy.

If he thought he was spending $x/year because his financial people told him so, and it turned out that he was spending a lot more, he probably has grounds to sue them.

Obviously he didn't use the money terribly wisely... but then, that's why he hired people to help him.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 03:44:56 AM »
How the heck does he spend 2 million a month?!

Also, what he spends in a month could support my family for the rest of my life. Crazy

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 04:04:33 AM »

Also, what he spends in a month could support my family for the rest of my life. Crazy
I'm sure his ex wife's budget was at least some part of that.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 04:28:16 AM »

She's not exactly short on money she earned herself.  No sexist assumptions, please.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 04:30:00 AM »

She's not exactly short on money she earned herself.  No sexist assumptions, please.

Especially considering she asked him to donate her entire divorce settlement to charity.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 04:34:02 AM »

It was not sexist; did you see the divorce settlement?

Butterfingers

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 04:34:19 AM »
  • $3 million firing Hunter S. Thompson's ashes out of a cannon
  • $18 million on a yacht
  • $4 million on a failed record label
  • $30,000 a month on wine
  • $300,000 a month for a staff of 40

These little things, they all add up.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/01/johnny-depp-spent-3m-blasting-hunter-s-thompson-ashes-from-cannon-ex-managers-claim?CMP=twt_gu

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 05:03:07 AM »
  • $18 million on a yacht

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/01/johnny-depp-spent-3m-blasting-hunter-s-thompson-ashes-from-cannon-ex-managers-claim?CMP=twt_gu

30,000 a month on wine?  Now I could get behind that! 

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 05:58:37 AM »
A pirate and his money are eventually parted.... I'm happy he spent it and created jobs.
We need more celebrities to follow his example.
Hookers and Blow.
Go Johnny Go!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 09:35:57 AM »
I read he spent $75M to buy and maintain 14 homes.  If he's not stupid, he should be able to sell, oh, 10 of them, and recoup enough to spend the rest of his life in lavish luxury.

But he is stupid, so who knows. 

I saw him on Overhaulin' (car show) a few years ago commissioning them to clean up his then-wife's classic Mustang, and honestly, the dude came across like he was burned out or stoned to the beejezus or fried his brain or something.  Great actor, but, wow. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 09:39:59 AM »
I read he spent $75M to buy and maintain 14 homes.  If he's not stupid, he should be able to sell, oh, 10 of them, and recoup enough to spend the rest of his life in lavish luxury.

I saw him on Overhaulin' (car show) a few years ago commissioning them to clean up his then-wife's classic Mustang, and honestly, the dude came across like he was burned out or stoned to the beejezus or fried his brain or something.  Great actor, but, wow.

With actors on reality TV, you have to wonder if they're "being themselves" or acting.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 09:44:04 AM »

With actors on reality TV, you have to wonder if they're "being themselves" or acting.

True, but it was just him having a conversation with the shop over how the car should be.  No idea why he'd "act" in that situation, aside from just trying to "act normal".

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 09:50:53 AM »
Now he's going to sit around and wonder why the rum (wine) is always gone.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 09:58:16 AM »
  • $18 million on a yacht

30,000 a month on wine?  Now I could get behind that!
Hope he wasn't buying cases of fakes...

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 05:45:23 PM »
Ooh!  4% rule on $650 Million = $26 Million/year.  At that level taxes are pretty significant, especially if he resides in California.  Should have limited himself to around $1 Million/month spending money.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »
Man, if you had asked me to name 50 actors who might have that kind of net worth, Johnny Depp would not have come to mind. He's never been a bankable A-lister. At some point, he had some good folks investing his money. But even they couldn't keep up with his spending.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 09:01:44 AM »
Man, if you had asked me to name 50 actors who might have that kind of net worth, Johnny Depp would not have come to mind. He's never been a bankable A-lister. At some point, he had some good folks investing his money. But even they couldn't keep up with his spending.

Pirates of the Caribbean.  That was his first step into doing a film for the money.  I saw an interview with him shortly after the first one came out and when he was gearing up for #2.  The interviewer asked why he felt he needed the money and his answer was "Privacy gets expensive".   

I get that.  And I liked him all the more for being honest that even though he was most interested in indie art his whole life, he was willing to go the disney route for a big payday when he felt he needed it.  As a sellout myself (and really, who here isn't), I can respect that.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 10:05:34 AM »
  • $18 million on a yacht

And 15 properties, bought against the financial advisers' advice.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 10:26:33 AM »
  • $18 million on a yacht

And 15 properties, bought against the financial advisers' advice.
Wish I was the FA. Johnny Depp would be the best client as long as he prepaid his annual fees. Tremendous Client.

BTH7117

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 07:28:19 PM »
  • $18 million on a yacht

And here I am, wondering if I should have waited for Bota Boxes to go on sale.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 07:38:38 PM »
As a former financial planner, I can testify that athletes and creative types tend to be nightmares to work with. Some planners categorically refuse to take them on.

nyrong

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 11:09:31 PM »

She only earned 50 k net last year, and she dares to demand 50 k monthly. Facts are against your sexist assumptions.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/amber-heards-2015-earnings-revealed-8091750

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 04:39:14 AM »

Dude, I would have shot the ashes for him for half that!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 12:19:02 PM »

Dude, I would have shot the ashes for him for half that!

Looks like it was a gigantic private spectacle, not a simple cannon-shooting.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »

Pretty sure he's the highest paid actor ever, the pirates series made shit tons of money and they paid him over 20 mil a movie.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 02:29:20 PM »

She only earned 50 k net last year, and she dares to demand 50 k monthly. Facts are against your sexist assumptions.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/amber-heards-2015-earnings-revealed-8091750
She's been earning "name" money as a model and actress for the last 10 years: she should have multi-millions in the bank.  There's a contested divorce going on: right now both she and Johnny Depp have a significant interest in reducing their net earnings and net worths to the lowest possible.  Hers will be less than his, I grant, but I'd be surprised if she hadn't both accumulated significant money and lived within her means before the marriage.

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »
  • $18 million on a yacht

Ha! Brilliant.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 09:55:26 AM »
  • $18 million on a yacht

Skipping the yacht, the failed record label and the one-time funeral expense for a second... I can't help but be shocked at the ongoing monthly expenditures.

$300k/mo for "staff" (which doesn't include his $150k/mo "security) - that puts the average salary per employee at $90k.  Ok, somewhat less due to taxes, but following the normal staff-hierarchy , that's $200k for your 'chief of staff', 4 x $150k 'mid-level managers' who each oversee 7 minions who each earn more than the national average.  WTF?

$30k/mo on "wine".  Going over $100/bottle (wholesale) and you're hard pressed to get noticably better quality.  That's still 250 bottles/mo plus a case of $400/bottle wine "for special occasions"... like it's a Saturday.  One could supply a medium-sized restaurant with that volume.
There's some serious mis-management there, and it's seems entirely Depp's fault.
A fool and his money...

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 07:46:51 PM »

She's been earning "name" money as a model and actress for the last 10 years: she should have multi-millions in the bank.  There's a contested divorce going on: right now both she and Johnny Depp have a significant interest in reducing their net earnings and net worths to the lowest possible.  Hers will be less than his, I grant, but I'd be surprised if she hadn't both accumulated significant money and lived within her means before the marriage.
But not enough to not demand $50K a month after one year of marriage to one of the highest paid actors ever. This is why there were no sexist assumptions given; only facts. You are the one currently making assumptions.

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 09:04:50 PM »
As a former financial planner, I can testify that athletes and creative types tend to be nightmares to work with. Some planners categorically refuse to take them on.

It looks like it could be an OK side gig tho'... Qualify as a FA and help a few of these athletic mega-earners to get (most of) their money safe into a set of Vanguard index accounts and IRAs in exchange for a sweet % fee.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 11:43:58 PM »

It looks like it could be an OK side gig tho'... Qualify as a FA and help a few of these athletic mega-earners to get (most of) their money safe into a set of Vanguard index accounts and IRAs in exchange for a sweet % fee.

Could be, but my impression is that these people tend to favor exotic (therefore pricey and risky) investments, not index funds or tax-advantaged accounts.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Johnny Depp blown through $650 million
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2017, 12:01:20 AM »
You constantly have to plead with them to not blow the money on 1) investments that are abysmally stupid, 2) stuff they don't need, 3) their swarm of greedy friends and relatives. It's exhausting. There are exceptions, of course, but they are rare.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2017, 12:20:53 AM »

Could be, but my impression is that these people tend to favor exotic (therefore pricey and risky) investments, not index funds or tax-advantaged accounts.
Do they prefer them, or are these the products that are sold to them by sleezy FAs who want a fat commission and know their clients will not worry about their money until it's far too late?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2017, 01:04:59 AM »
There's some of that, but there's also magical thinking - that there's some great financial product out there just for rich people like them that will make them even richer.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 02:12:26 AM »
There's some of that, but there's also magical thinking - that there's some great financial product out there just for rich people like them that will make them even richer.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this point of view. Certainly there are greedy FAs who take advantage of celebrities, but there are also celebrities who insist on overriding their responsible FAs. Johnny Depp seems to fall under the latter.

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 06:55:48 AM »

hence the key phrase 'advisor' and not 'enabler'. If they don't want to invest a significant % that way - cool. But maybe a few could be saved from themselves...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2017, 06:59:32 AM »

Do they prefer them, or are these the products that are sold to them by sleezy FAs who want a fat commission and know their clients will not worry about their money until it's far too late?

People like having their butts kissed. It's human nature. A NBA ballplayer who grew up in a housing project and worked like Horatio Alger's wet dream won't necessarily know money management from a hole in the ground. But he will be VERY familiar with people who have an agenda, and anxious to make sure there's something in it for him. He will also want to prove that he's more than "just" a stereotypical dumb jock.

The fastest way to someone's trust is to praise them not for their obvious excellence, but for what they secretly want to be praised for. So suddenly he's got a big sponsor, and is drowning in dollars as well as tag-along moochers. His world gets very weird, very fast. Flim-flam artists know this. When someone in a suit tells him he's a "qualified" investor based on his net worth and income, and therefore able to understand the risks of the investment he's being asked to make, our ballplayer is very likely to respond to being buttered up.

CoreyTheMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2017, 06:08:23 AM »

I did some googling to read up some more on this and I am not seeing where you are coming up with that $650 mil figure from?? I did not see that number anywhere?

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2017, 07:01:06 AM »

I did some googling to read up some more on this and I am not seeing where you are coming up with that $650 mil figure from?? I did not see that number anywhere?

I omitted the link and just had an article up on the browser. .. it estimated his total earnings at 650 million. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2018, 06:40:57 AM »
Lisa Marie Presley says she is broke and only has $14K. Her estranged husband who is divorcing her wants $40,000 a month alimony as was agreed upon in their prenup. http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/02/19/lisa-marie-presley-says-shes-broke-after-ex-asks-for-money.html

However, this article says she gets $100,000 a month inheritance money and $4,300 a month pay and 15% interest in Elvis Presley Enterprises.  Hardly broke!

Johnny Depp is also in a financial spiral.

Why do these people think they have to buy 14 mansions that require a full staff to maintain them, and all the fancy jewels, cars, yachts, jets, hanger on-ers, etc. Simple math will tell you how long you can maintain this death spiral. Then when all the money dries up, they blame their financial managers.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2018, 07:49:17 AM »
I have no idea how these celebrities get by on so little... ;)

Seriously, I'd live a nice (not celebrity lavish) life and make my town a better place to live. Anonymously if possible.

Bike paths, upgrade the library, tutor the school kids, make sure those in need had a path to get what they need ("teach a man to fish").

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2018, 10:17:13 AM »
I saw an interview with Depp once where he said "Privacy is expensive".  I believe that wholeheartedly, but why can't these guys put aside some money into a safe safe safe place that will take care of them in their old age, then spend whatever they want of the rest? 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2018, 10:31:31 AM »
I saw an interview with Depp once where he said "Privacy is expensive".  I believe that wholeheartedly, but why can't these guys put aside some money into a safe safe safe place that will take care of them in their old age, then spend whatever they want of the rest?
I've heard this "privacy is expensive" defense by countless celebs, and I think it certainly can be astronomically expensive if you choose to live in a dense urban environment. Private entrances in your fortress of a home, renting out VIP rooms anytime you want to go out and a full security detail anytime you do step into the public space.  The popular alternative seems to be living in a remote location on a bunch of land where there aren't many people to bump into.

BoneTree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2018, 11:12:08 AM »
An actor also in his 50's with a fairly similar net worth and career trajectory to Depp is Keanu Reeves; yet the two are complete opposites when it comes to lifestyle. As I understand it Reeves doesn't even have a security detail and has often been photographed by other passengers riding the subway.  Depp on the other hand tries to put forward an image of a disaffected, edgy celebrity outsider, but apparently needs a fortune to just  maintain it.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2018, 11:27:11 AM »
You hear it over and over again on celebrities, football players and other sports players and lottery winners going broke. They make millions and millions and blow it on stupid stuff. Maybe in certain situations there should be mandatory financial education. If it were me, I would put so much money in safe investments so I would never run out. Maybe buy a few franchises like McDonalds. Only tried and true things that worked.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2018, 01:52:03 PM »
Privacy is expensive yet they'll buy the fanciest of cars to drive around attracting attention...

If you want privacy, build a modest home on a nice piece of land and be invisible. More than one way to be a celebrity.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2018, 01:58:45 PM »
Lisa Marie Presley says she is broke and only has $14K. Her estranged husband who is divorcing her wants $40,000 a month alimony as was agreed upon in their prenup. http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/02/19/lisa-marie-presley-says-shes-broke-after-ex-asks-for-money.html

However, this article says she gets $100,000 a month inheritance money and $4,300 a month pay and 15% interest in Elvis Presley Enterprises.  Hardly broke!

Johnny Depp is also in a financial spiral.

Why do these people think they have to buy 14 mansions that require a full staff to maintain them, and all the fancy jewels, cars, yachts, jets, hanger on-ers, etc. Simple math will tell you how long you can maintain this death spiral. Then when all the money dries up, they blame their financial managers.

1. Because people who are first-generation wealthy seldom learn how to manage money, much less how to deal with sudden wealth. They definitely don't learn to lead or interact with people who are consistently trying to manipulate or con them.

2. They may not really know how much it costs to run a given household.

3. It sometimes seems as though the big income will never dry up.

4. There's no sense of urgency in building passive income.

5. Because of their asset and income level, they are classified as "qualified investors" and given credit for financial acumen they don't really possess.

6. Alimony and child support are long-lasting financial commitments that are not likely to adjust downward even when income does.