Author Topic: J Money's younger stupidy, $40 bottle of luxury water.  (Read 5761 times)

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
J Money's younger stupidy, $40 bottle of luxury water.
« on: November 08, 2013, 05:17:54 AM »
http://www.bargaineering.com/articles/why-youre-broke-luxury-water.html

I like how he keeps it on his desk, unopened, as a reminder.

We all buy stupid things, not sure I've gone that far.  I did buy a light saber at a convention a few years ago for $200.  Gotta sell that thing.

some1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: J Money's younger stupidy, $40 bottle of luxury water.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 07:46:29 AM »
Kudos to the company managing to sell water for 40$! The owner probably retired early ;-)

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 08:55:48 AM »
Guy in the office next to me was paying $50/mo for bottled water at the store for his family and lugging it home.  I turned him on to our scheme.  He bought a water cooler for $50 and once or twice a month a boy will deliver, on demand (from three blocks away), a big bottle of spring water for about $5 plus 50cent tip for delivery.  Our boy even carries it up four flights of stairs since the elevator doesn't come to the service entrance...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 02:57:50 PM »
a boy will deliver, on demand (from three blocks away), a big bottle of spring water for about $5 plus 50cent tip for delivery.  Our boy even carries it up four flights of stairs since the elevator doesn't come to the service entrance...

a boy???? Please tell me that you are a referring to an Tom Sawyer entrepreneur type that is willing to take loose errands.

more4less

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »
I think it's short for water boy.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 06:03:26 AM »
You just ring up the water place and they send a teenage boy over on a tricycle with the water and he schleps it up the service staircase.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 01:13:54 PM »
a boy will deliver, on demand (from three blocks away), a big bottle of spring water for about $5 plus 50cent tip for delivery.  Our boy even carries it up four flights of stairs since the elevator doesn't come to the service entrance...

a boy???? Please tell me that you are a referring to an Tom Sawyer entrepreneur type that is willing to take loose errands.

What is wrong with calling a boy a boy?

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »

There can be a racial connotation when using "boy" and discussing manual labor.

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 01:48:09 PM »

There can be a racial connotation when using "boy" and discussing manual labor.

Really, never heard of such a thing.  Sounds like people taking racial things way to seriously.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 02:37:04 PM »
I've only heard it in moves/TV, but I think it's more common in the south. It's used to imply that a black male is less than a man, beneath the white man, etc.

Guizmo

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 02:40:03 PM »
I think the term has a lot to do with how it is said and to who. Things that would be impossible to discern from the post. I would also agree that perhaps some people take racial things way too seriously.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 10:09:51 AM »
I'm white and have been called boy in a vocational capacity many times FWIW.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »
Many moons ago in the South, 'boy' was a term used to denigrate blacks my the well to do southern folk of the time, particularly those working in manual labor. It's understandable that someone could be concerned about its use on a message board as enlightened as this. Hard to understand tone through the internet and all.

kyleaaa

• Bristles
    • Kyle Bumpus
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 10:58:01 AM »
I've only heard it in moves/TV, but I think it's more common in the south. It's used to imply that a black male is less than a man, beneath the white man, etc.

I grew up in the south and I've never heard it used that way. And I grew up in the COUNTRY, too.