Author Topic: It is Valentine's Day. Thou shalt buy overpriced junk.  (Read 14467 times)

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
It is Valentine's Day. Thou shalt buy overpriced junk.
« on: February 10, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »
as a trucker, I listen to satellite radio. Ads must be cheap, because I get to hear about a dozen different ads play 200 times/day. Currently DH and I are treated to the Valentines crop:

1. Chocolate dipped strawberries: $20 for an undisclosed number
2. Flowers: now up to their last minute premium prices.
3. Giant stuffed animals
4. Pajama gram
5. Six foot tall cut roses.
6. Cigars: buy cigars for yourself, we will throw in a bouquet for your sig other.

Ugh. What a ridiculous manufactured holiday. DH knows not to waste money on anything like this for me.

As an aside, I have not been able to enjoy cut flowers since I hauled them for a summer. A significant percentage of cut flowers, especially roses, are flown into Miami from South America. It is hard to believe that it makes more sense economically to fly flowers halfway around the world rather than grow them locally.

hunniebun

• Bristles
Re: It is Valentine's Day. Thou shalt buy overpriced junk.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 12:09:07 PM »
At least flowers can be composted.  Walking past a dollar store today I saw several isles filled with stuff that will literally be in the landfill by March 1st.   

My dh says that being married to him all year round is my gift! LOL! 

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 01:34:31 PM »

Lol, sounds like mine!  He might do an extra chore or two, but Feb 14th is also the anniversary of his official discharge date from the Marines, so he tells me we should be celebrating "his holiday" not Hallmark's :D

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 01:35:18 PM »

Lol, sounds like mine!  He might do an extra chore or two, but Feb 14th is also the anniversary of his official discharge date from the Marines, so he tells me we should be celebrating "his holiday" not Hallmark's :D
Offer to celebrate by yelling at him while he does pushups.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 01:41:37 PM »
I started dating my wife in a January, so we hadn't been together very long when Valentine's rolled around. She told me not to do anything and I took her at her word.

Turned out that was the right move. My wife is the best.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »
I was at the gym (I feel compelled to note that the gym is at my work, and I use it for free) and saw an infomercial for a 4ft tall $100 (plus S&H) teddy bear as a Valentine's gift. What adult wants that?! Even the women in the commercial seemed skeptical/bewildered to get a monstrous version of the Snuggle bear.

Not having cable for the past 4+ years has lessened my exposure to ridiculous crap, and the crap seems even more ridiculous now that I'm not used to it.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 02:10:50 PM »

"I love you, maggot!!!!!!"

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 02:21:49 PM »

Hahahahaha

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »
I think I am going to celebrate Valentine's day on Saturday with the family (husband and 2 boys), thus:

1. Cook a special dinner.  I have some pork chops in the freezer, and potatoes in the pantry.  My boys LOVE potatoes, that'll make them happy.
2.  Maybe buy some nice wine.  That's more for me though.
3.  Bake cookies.
4.  Play games and watch a movie.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 04:19:39 PM »
My wife was mildly upset months later when she found my stash of discount heart chocolate bought after the holiday with the intent of gifting next year.  Luckily I knew just what to give her to make her feel better.  I've started building the rotation again and already got a stash of discount Easter, Halloween, and Christmas candy waiting.  Still want to get discount heart chocolate next week.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 04:26:05 PM »
We do go out to eat on valentines day.  We will go at 4:30 to avoid the crowds and have a quieter atmosphere.  There will be no gifts. This will be our 41st valentines day.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 06:36:03 PM »
We are going out to brunch on the 15th - day after Valentine's Day - to the place that we met 9 years ago.  And that is it!  I am really looking forward to it since we haven't gone out for brunch in probably a few years now.

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 07:00:54 PM »
My wife was mildly upset months later when she found my stash of discount heart chocolate bought after the holiday with the intent of gifting next year.  Luckily I knew just what to give her to make her feel better.  I've started building the rotation again and already got a stash of discount Easter, Halloween, and Christmas candy waiting.  Still want to get discount heart chocolate next week.

Smart !!!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 07:55:54 PM »
Camping in snow-covered mountains in a national park for valentine's.

Bought chocolate, though. Expensive tastes. So it goes.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 08:56:14 PM »
Complete non-event for husband and me.  Never celebrated it, never will.

That said, it falls on Saturday this year, so a couple of days ago, we joked that we would celebrate by staying in, him cooking a fabulous dinner, and sharing a bottle of wine...

Just like any other Saturday.

SaintM

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 09:34:23 PM »
Chocolate just makes people fat.

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 09:39:44 PM »
no..not chocolate...just simply overeating

I'm not really a chocolate fan, but it is actually very healthy (the dark chocolate)

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »
Our wedding anniversary is the 25th, so we've never really done much for Valentine's Day.  I'm going to make a heart-shaped pie with the kids (with ingredients I already have), and then have a nice dinner with DH after the kids go to bed.  That's it.  No point in doing flowers/chocolate/etc.  We'll just spend some time together and it will be nice. :)

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 11:47:35 AM »
Such an overrated, silly holiday. I think it should be replaced with a second Thanksgiving! Or a second Halloween... more excuses to dress up? yes please.

I did buy my husband some slippers as a Valentine's gift, but that's because he's constantly complaining about his feet freezing on the hardwood floors in our apartment. Instead of cranking the very expensive electric heat up, he can wear these instead. So it's a very Mustachian gift. ;)

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 12:45:34 PM »
more excuses to dress up? yes please.

But I am dressing up, I'll be wearing a blazer to dinner.  She might wear a dress and put on makeup.  That's like a twice a year concurrence for us.  As IT people, our day to day fashion is two steps above the homeless.  I've largely given up on dress pants and ties.  Maybe I'll try again soon.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 01:05:53 PM »

Hahahahaha

Foreplay!

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 01:49:12 PM »
2. Flowers: now up to their last minute premium prices.

I've been bombarded relentlessly via email the past month from everybody from American Airlines to Delta to every financial institution under the sun letting me know FTD will give me 35 points / miles / unicorns per $1 spent on overpriced flowers and grossly excessive delivery fees for V-Day....cause 3,500 airline miles for $100 in flowers (versus the $10 they'd otherwise cost to buy & deliver them myself, or $40 to pay for FTD to supply & deliver them any other day of the year*) gets me 1/100th of a free flight to anywhere in the continental US (subject to being a red-eye leaving & returning on a Wednesday scheduled 8 months in advance, $200 in taxes & fees additional).

*except Mother's Day, where you're equally socially shamed into buying overpriced flowers "just 'cause"

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 02:33:10 PM »
Heard an ad on the radio today where a guy buys his lady a card and a stuffed bear and ends up sleeping on the couch, but when he buys her a $600 sound system she promises a "fun night."

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 02:44:54 PM »
Very much about buying useless stuff, but one of the funnier Valentine's Day things I've read:
http://thebloggess.com/2015/02/the-perfect-valentine-my-heart-in-my-hands-literally-sort-of/

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »

Hahahahaha

Foreplay!

I just told him about this exchange (well, minus your foreplay addition because I hadn't seen it yet lol) and I got THE MOST deadpan look....."I'm not doing pushups...."

He did think the maggot part was funny though xD

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 07:41:39 AM »
I would immediately break up with anyone who gave me a 6' stuffed bear.

I get my kids a box of chocolates the day after Valentine's Day when they are 50% off at CVS.

My boyfriend orders me flowers and I have told him to please stop. They are no different than what is available at Trader Joe's, expect that they cost 10x a much and often get frozen when they ship during the winter.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 08:33:48 AM »
I'll go against the grain and say that I actually like Valentine's day. The local vegan shoe store imports fancy rice milk chocolates during this season that I'm crazy about. We also go for lunch or dinner at a nice vegan restaurant, which we pretty much only do once a year, either on Valentine's day or our anniversary. It's nice.

Fatmouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2015, 01:02:30 PM »
Interesting article on this topic, claims the average American spends $140 for Valentine's Day.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/barbarathau/2015/02/13/valentines-day-spending-predictions-that-might-surprise-you/

Vaguely interesting consumer trend... The article talks about how Gen Z, those born after 1995, prefer handmade and one-of-a-kind gifts.  I briefly wondered if this might signal a generation of Mustachians, but the article suggests they just buy things off Etsy instead of at the mall. :P

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2015, 02:32:15 PM »
Oh, come on, MMMers. You know you want that stuffed monkey in the coffee mug with hearts all over it. What a bunch of wet blankets. And who needs deposits in the Vanguard account when you could get those great boxer shorts with rabbits all over them holding little signs saying, "Honeybun."

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
I was really feeling like a consumerist sucka for the crap I got sucked into buying this year.   But then, stepping back, perhaps it's not as bad as it was feeling.   I got Dh new underwear and DD and DSD new socks (which they all could use).   I also got a bunch of candy, but we're making heart-shaped homemade pizza, and making chocolate dipped strawberries at home, so maybe almost a mustachian celebration.

Overall, I spent less than $30 for the family's festivities, so I guess it could be worse.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 03:53:54 PM »
This morning, SO and I were browsing youtube and ran across a video titled something like "The SIMPLE way to do Valentine's day right!"

It has this guy going to the store at like 9am, buying a rose and a box of chocolates, buying a couple of lattes from the coffee shop, and then waking his girlfriend up and giving them to her.

I mean, it's nice and not TOO "big" according to what culture says we should expect, but SO remarked "He spent over $30 before 10 in the morning on a flower that will die and a snack."

Meanwhile, SO and I have been spending Valentine's day playing video games, cooking, and watching our strawberry plants grow.  <3

daymare

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 09:44:38 PM »
So I'm not really into Valentine's Day because I'm uncomfortable with the message of "consume/buy things to celebrate!".  Also the date itself doesn't have any emotional meaning to me, and I don't like doing stuff just because it's what's done.

That said, I'm not like bitter or hateful towards the celebration - I quite enjoy seeing pictures of people's dinners/flowers/chocolate, I even posted on facebook about how I was feeling warm & fuzzy seeing everyone's celebration pics even though I don't celebrate VDay. 

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 03:15:50 AM »
We did the same for Valentines, that what we have done for the past 3 months.

We had dinner at the restaurant.
Came home and had a cup of coffee and shared a chocolate bar.

Played a couple of games of Scrabble.
Spent the evening together.

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 04:13:00 AM »
Both failed to get each other a card (we normally do) and then went to a barn dance in the evening with various friends of mine that are single or their partners were otherwise engaged/not interested. It was fun. And that dancing malarkey is more hard work than it looks!

I must admit I do miss flowers a bit, but they really are so expensive for what they are.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 09:08:14 AM »
We enjoy celebrating Valentines' Day, but we don't see the point in the stuff that's pushed so hard in the media. 

We actually had a lovely day yesterday on Valentine's Day:

- His gift to me was a couple delicious rib-eye steaks cooked on the grill
- My gift to him was a couple extra-good side dishes
- We did put out a red table cloth and a candle
- Then we went bowling with the kids, which we all thoroughly enjoyed -- and the bowling alley was essentially empty

Nothing out of the ordinary for the weekend -- just a bit more fancy.  Nothing to go into the trash tomorrow -- unless you count the potato peels. 

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 09:18:22 AM »
DH and I were horrified when we ran to Walmart  about 6 p.m. last night to pick up a few things (oil and dishwashing soap) and the man checking out in front of us... still in his work uniform on a Saturday... had a pile of Valentine items... chocolates, a couple of toys for kids, a big card (that was over $7 by itself!), a sexy nightie... and his total was $105.64.

So obviously, no thought went into the gifts at all... it was 6 p.m. on Valentine's Day!  And he's at Walmart... ugh.  He obviously works hard and yet he still spent over $100 of his hard-earned money on garbage.

It made us both really sad.  We had had a wonderful Valentine's Day... starting with DH bringing me coffee in bed... then me, later on, making a wonderful tofu scramble for breakfast... then we got out and walked around (we live downtown) and went a sweet movie.  Stopped on the walk home and had a couple of (cheap) beers at one of our favorite places while we sat outside and enjoyed the unbelievably beautifull 80 degree February day we were having here in OKC.  Now THAT was way better than $100 worth of Walmart crap and we spent less than $20 on the whole thing.

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 09:26:54 AM »
DH and I were horrified when we ran to Walmart  about 6 p.m. last night to pick up a few things (oil and dishwashing soap) and the man checking out in front of us... still in his work uniform on a Saturday... had a pile of Valentine items... chocolates, a couple of toys for kids, a big card (that was over $7 by itself!), a sexy nightie... and his total was $105.64.

So obviously, no thought went into the gifts at all... it was 6 p.m. on Valentine's Day!  And he's at Walmart... ugh.  He obviously works hard and yet he still spent over $100 of his hard-earned money on garbage.

It made us both really sad.  We had had a wonderful Valentine's Day... starting with DH bringing me coffee in bed... then me, later on, making a wonderful tofu scramble for breakfast... then we got out and walked around (we live downtown) and went a sweet movie.  Stopped on the walk home and had a couple of (cheap) beers at one of our favorite places while we sat outside and enjoyed the unbelievably beautifull 80 degree February day we were having here in OKC.  Now THAT was way better than $100 worth of Walmart crap and we spent less than $20 on the whole thing.

I live in the wrong part of the country, obviously.  Spouse and I thought about going for a nice walk yesterday.  But nice walks at -10 with wind chill aren't so nice;)

My spouse and I do exchange chocolate--a small box of Godiva truffles from me once a year, so expensive, but certainly not an over-the-top common thing.  We also have a "who can find the most over-the-top card" competition every year, and keep those in a box for the fun of it.

Week ends up being an expensive week for me because spouse's birthday is earlier in the week!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 01:49:11 PM »
Now that it's over, here's what we did:

1. He got me a bag of my favourite vegan gummy bears and wrote me a love letter
2. I baked one of his favourite desserts - carrot cake with maple syrup
3. We had a nice lunch at a new vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant we've both been curious about
4. Some things arrived that we ordered and we tried them out :)

It was very nice. We didn't spend much.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 02:12:42 PM »
Valentines Day is our dating anniversary, which we celebrate every year. Usually we go out to the theater and have good dinner. It is one of 4 restaurant meals we always schedule in our budget for the year. This time we had company over for an Italian wine tasting with vegan cheeses followed by a board game. It was delightful fun. I'm not giving up my Valentines/Dating Anniversary just because a bunch other people think its tacky or non-frugal or whatever. Life is good and the occasional celebration just makes it better.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2015, 02:14:48 PM »

3. We had a nice lunch at a new vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant we've both been curious about

It sounds very nice! Can you share the vegan carrot cake recipe?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2015, 02:37:17 PM »
no..not chocolate...just simply overeating

I'm not really a chocolate fan, but it is actually very healthy (the dark chocolate)

I'm sorry, I can't let that pass.  Chocolate is not healthy.

There was a big media push to convince you that it's good for you, just like there was for red wine or coffee, and of the three chocolate is clearly the worst.

Virtually all of the "chocolate" at stores for Vday is mostly partially hydrogenated vegetable oil or palm oil plus sugar and preservatives and maybe some coloring.  So it's basically just stabilized sugar and fat, how is that possibly good for you?

If you want to eat crappy food you go right ahead, but please don't delude yourself into thinking you're on to some new age health fad because the confectioners union paid some guy to say there is also something healthy in chocolate.  There's also something healthy in cigarettes if you eat them, but also not recommended.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »

My other half would probably love it if I did that while sitting on the sofa eating bon bons.

Got him some candy bars and YNAB for v-day.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »

Yep! It's from a really good cookbook called "The Joy of Vegan Baking":

-Egg replacer for 3 eggs, either 3Tbsp ground flaxseeds blended with 1/2c water, or 4 1/2 tsp EnerG blended with 6 Tbsp water
-2/3c cooking oil
-1 1/2c finely grated carrots
-1c chopped walnuts
-1c raisins
-1 1/3 c flour
-1c sugar
-1 1/2 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp cloves
-1/2 tsp nutmeg
-1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt

Standard cake technique - mix the dry ingredients, mix the wet ingredients, mix them together until just combined, bake in a greased cake pan (mine is a 9X13 rectangle) for 30 minutes at 350. You can eat it just like that, with cream cheese frosting, or drizzled with pure maple syrup like me do.

It has so many different flavors from all the spices, nuts, raisins, and carrots. Delicious.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2015, 10:00:06 PM »

Yep! It's from a really good cookbook called "The Joy of Vegan Baking":

-Egg replacer for 3 eggs, either 3Tbsp ground flaxseeds blended with 1/2c water, or 4 1/2 tsp EnerG blended with 6 Tbsp water
-2/3c cooking oil
-1 1/2c finely grated carrots
-1c chopped walnuts
-1c raisins
-1 1/3 c flour
-1c sugar
-1 1/2 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp cloves
-1/2 tsp nutmeg
-1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt

Standard cake technique - mix the dry ingredients, mix the wet ingredients, mix them together until just combined, bake in a greased cake pan (mine is a 9X13 rectangle) for 30 minutes at 350. You can eat it just like that, with cream cheese frosting, or drizzled with pure maple syrup like me do.

It has so many different flavors from all the spices, nuts, raisins, and carrots. Delicious.

Thank you! That sounds delicious!

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 06:26:33 AM »
someone gifted a girl with 10'000 roses
http://www.msn.com/fr-ch/actualite/other/elle-re%C3%A7oit-10000-roses-pour-la-saint-valentin/ss-AA9pfJb
In Switzerland is more or less 40'000 chf....
this is so stupid. Poor girl in 7 days she must get help to throw away all those rotten roses :D

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2015, 05:21:02 PM »
Chocolate dipped strawberries are incredibly easy, but nicer in the summer when you can buy ripe local berries instead of flavourless imported berries picked before they are ripe.  I've done it, the biggest time consumer was making sure they were perfectly dry.  And you can find quality dipping chocolate.

Chocolate - I have never understood why people buy junk chocolate at holidays (Easter, I am looking at you) when there is such good chocolate available.  If you enjoy good chocolate, the holiday stuff tastes terrible.

Being divorced, I spent Valentine's Day (in bed with a cold) with my favourite puppy.  She is happy with her regular treats (dried liver is so yummy when you are a dog) no matter what the day.  Not too sound too grinch-like, but I am not fond of manufactured holidays - Valentine's, Mother's and Father's Days, etc.  If the only time you show love and appreciation is on the mandated days, what is that worth?  Of course, in a good relationship (spouses, parent-child), it is just a fun excuse.

Note - I still have the cold, I may have a more positive outlook when I am getting enough oxygen.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2015, 06:10:52 PM »
Our Valentine's Day:
Went out to eat, cost covered by the $40 gift card my employer gave us as a holiday gift.
 Went to movie, had 2 free passes.
Came home, lit a fire in fireplace sat on sofa playing with our doggies.
Nice evening and didn't cost a dime.

MrsK

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2015, 08:09:23 AM »
I think the worst ad I heard was on NPR for a "50 Shades of Grey" teddy bear.  I guess it comes with accessories.  What does the recipient think of this gift?  Where do you put it once you own it? 

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2015, 08:20:47 AM »
Now that its over, I can report that we both exchanged thoughtfully written handmade cards from the Family night at DS's school the night before :)

Oh, and DH bought me an electric toothbrush that I hadn't gotten around to buying for myself...my gums are very happy...who says romance is dead?

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2015, 08:41:22 AM »
I think the worst ad I heard was on NPR for a "50 Shades of Grey" teddy bear.  I guess it comes with accessories.  What does the recipient think of this gift?  Where do you put it once you own it?

Right next to the Fifty Shades of Gray Wine.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!