Author Topic: It's Tax Refund Season...Time To Buy a Drone!  (Read 4495 times)

9-Volt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
It's Tax Refund Season...Time To Buy a Drone!
« on: February 09, 2016, 08:42:50 AM »
Use your tax return to buy a "Hollywood-caliber rig" or you know, pay your mortgage/rent.

http://deals.kinja.com/its-tax-refund-season-time-to-buy-a-drone-1757850441

Samsam

• Bristles
Re: It's Tax Refund Season...Time To Buy a Drone!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 08:46:50 AM »
Oh NO! stay strong....stay strong...do not need drone.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 09:28:09 AM »
Might as well change the title to "It's tax refund season, you need to buy X."  I expect to be inundated over the next month with ads telling me what stuff I'm missing in my life.  I've already seen a couple that combined tax refunds and Valentine's Day.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 12:46:44 PM »
Fun fact of the day:  There are more registered drones in the US than licensed pilots.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 01:04:27 PM »
Oh heck....not only is it tax refund season, but it's bonus season here at work - double the stupidity for those who are poor! 

(Yes, Dave Ramsey is right - poor is a state of mind, not a condition of lacking money, which is a state of being broke.  The "Poor" blow "windfall" lump sums on stupid sh*t to no long term advantage.)

2 weeks from Thursday bonus equal to not quite 2 weeks of pay hits the bank.  Every year here in the Seattle area, the car dealers salivate for this time, when the hand to mouth co-workers of mine finally have enough in the pocket to meet a minimum down payment on the new truck.  I'm sure the same bunch will get a refund anticipation loan.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 01:18:23 PM »
Any spare cash we have this year goes to any and all debt. I want to be mortgage free so bad...

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 01:26:46 PM »
Had to change one of my regular search queries because of the company that makes that.  I used to search "DJI" several times per day to keep an eye on the market.  A couple years ago, that would bring up a nice interactive chart right there at the top of the Google results.  Now I've switched to entering "dow jones industrial average", because DJI drones have swamped the results.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 03:07:37 PM »
Any spare cash we have this year goes to any and all debt. I want to be mortgage free so bad...

Do it!  Been mortgage free for nearly two years now, and it is awesome, on a level I could have never imagined.  Hoping you join the club soon!!  :)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 08:59:36 PM »
Every year here in the Seattle area, the car dealers salivate for this time, when the hand to mouth co-workers of mine finally have enough in the pocket to meet a minimum down payment on the new truck.

Wait...what?!  I owned a truck living in Tacoma for about 4 months (before wising up and selling it). I tried to drive it through Seattle once. It was a disaster. People actually go about buying trucks in that area on purpose?

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 09:34:42 PM »
Haven't you seen the ads? If you live in the PNW and you have a truck you will spend every weekend skiing, hiking and kayaking and having romantic evenings by campfires.

In fact the only thing that looks to be more fun, according to the ad agencies, is using a Tampon. That seems to be a constant round of white dress wearing, roller bladeing with a dog fun

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 08:42:29 AM »
I love the FPV drones on YouTube but I'm getting my fix watching someone else fly them. Used to drool over model airplanes too. And RC cars. And so on and so forth. I'd be really worried about crashing a $1500 toy.

$1500 is the current resale value of each of our daily driver cars... ;)

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 03:18:46 PM »
Haven't you seen the ads? If you live in the PNW and you have a truck you will spend every weekend skiing, hiking and kayaking and having romantic evenings by campfires.

In fact the only thing that looks to be more fun, according to the ad agencies, is using a Tampon. That seems to be a constant round of white dress wearing, roller bladeing with a dog fun

Hah, this made me laugh, thanks.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 04:34:45 PM »
Had to change one of my regular search queries because of the company that makes that.  I used to search "DJI" several times per day to keep an eye on the market.  A couple years ago, that would bring up a nice interactive chart right there at the top of the Google results.  Now I've switched to entering "dow jones industrial average", because DJI drones have swamped the results.

That makes sense. Especially if the utility of djia escapes you.