Author Topic: It's OK, Pawn is an acceptable way to live - Even the rich do it!  (Read 5326 times)

Left Bank

• Stubble
From today's news:

NEW YORK (MainStreet)—The problem: you need $100 to take your sweetie out to dinner tonight for her birthday and you are tapped out. The bank account comes up goose eggs, the credit card was maxed out last year, mom and dad hang up when you call. What do you do?

[Read: Do Cool Sh*t]
Remember that $500 Bulova watch granny gave as a graduation present? The watch that is sitting in a drawer, because who wears watches anymore?

Bingo: you are prime to join the pawn revolution, borrowing for those without credit and who want a kind of on the fly liquidity that, suddenly, is gaining popularity "with new kinds of customers," said Emmett Murphy, spokesman for the National Pawnbrokers Association.

"Pawn has become a mainstream financial service," added Murphy. "People need access to credit, they have to get through to the end of the month."

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: It's OK, Pawn is an acceptable way to live - Even the rich do it!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:55:23 AM »

Yeah, pawn stores are a shitty bank.  But on the other side of that, they can sometimes have great deals on tools and jewelery if you know what you're looking for and know how much you're willing to pay.  Hint: look for pawn stores near the city or county jail!  They do a lot of business.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 07:59:19 AM »
Where was such a thing published?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 08:00:06 AM »
What do you do?
STOP SPENDING MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE.

renbutler

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »
Remember that $500 Bulova watch granny gave as a graduation present? The watch that is sitting in a drawer, because who wears watches anymore?

If people don't wear watches anymore, why would the pawn shop offer any significant amount of money for it?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 03:52:13 PM »

If people don't wear watches anymore, why would the pawn shop offer any significant amount of money for it?

They wouldn't.

Take out significant, and they may.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 06:58:41 PM »
What do you do?
Personally, I'd cook up my superb Red Beans and Rice with either hot, spicy sausage or chicken, depending upon which was in the freezer.  And I'd whip up a batch of homemade cookies, which he prefers to cake.  For a gift, I'd riffle through my gift drawer, where I always have something waiting for just such an "emergency". 

Oh, wait, that wasn't a real question, was it? 

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 09:11:11 PM »
Stupid question: has anyone regularly shopped pawn shops?  I have never actually set foot in one, but there are a bunch north of me in a somewhat down at the mouth area.

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 10:32:34 PM »
Stupid question: has anyone regularly shopped pawn shops?  I have never actually set foot in one, but there are a bunch north of me in a somewhat down at the mouth area.
Not really - though there used to be one near a music school we went to a couple of times when my husband needed to daydream about another musical instrument.

Micheal

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 02:27:04 AM »
I never Pawn anything, I do know several Pawn shop owners and everyone of thjem will admit that "pawning" is bad for the "pawnee" you will never get more than %50 of the worth of the item, even if you sell it's only mabey %55 of its value.  Thats why I use Craigslist to sell stuff.  On the other hand Pawn shops are a great place to find good tools and other little odds and ends for cheap.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 07:41:56 AM »

I have shopped them a few times.  There are potential bargains.  There are potential overpriced items.  The pricing depends on the item and on the reputation of the store.  If you know what you want and what you're willing to pay, you might get lucky.  If you're just poking through and don't know what it's worth, you're at a serious disadvantage.  Most stuff has a price tag, but they're generally negotiable.

Pawn shops can be a good place to buy newish expensive name brand tools: nail guns, large drills, etc.  There are guys that (stupidly) pawn these things every couple of weeks to tide themselves over to the next paycheck... and eventually it catches up with them and they can't bail it out.

knince

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 08:44:40 AM »
Always a good place for tools in my area. Bankrupt craftsmen that need to liquidate their equipment fast = good tools for pawn shoppers. Especially because many tools are difficult to sell/ship on ebay (large and heavy), so they stay in inventory at the pawn shops longer.

Luck better Skill

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 08:58:05 AM »
What do you do?
Personally, I'd cook up my superb Red Beans and Rice with either hot, spicy sausage or chicken, depending upon which was in the freezer.  And I'd whip up a batch of homemade cookies, which he prefers to cake.  For a gift, I'd riffle through my gift drawer, where I always have something waiting for just such an "emergency". 

Oh, wait, that wasn't a real question, was it?

LOL.  Great reply.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!