Author Topic: It's here! The 2020 William-Sonoma Hater's Guide!  (Read 5684 times)

crazy jane

• Bristles
Re: It's here! The 2020 William-Sonoma Hater's Guide!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 11:21:57 AM »
Thank you.

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 11:28:00 AM »
Entertaining writing.

Whoops, we have a Breville toaster oven just like that we have used heavily for 10+ years that we love.  Although it was a year end employer gift.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 11:31:12 AM »
Tee hee. I love baking and have gone into the brick and mortar Williams Sonoma many, many times with high hopes. I've never purchased anything. Even their clearance section is outrageous. I really, really want to love them, but can never stomach the prices.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 01:33:38 PM »
I haven't looked at it yet, but I just buzzed through a real, live W-S store today. My walking partner wanted to buy a gift for a BBQ fan. She picked up a small box of a dozen rubs in not-huge tins. I thought it was cute because it was called a "library". It was $89.95. I almost choked.

It was a very entertaining experience.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/williams-sonoma-rub-library/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 10:35:18 PM by Dicey »

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 02:02:29 PM »
These are funny.

Our local W-S is being closed down as W-S tries to move more of its sales online, and I'm thankful.

For the last 5 years, my MIL has gotten me a $100 gift card to W-S and anyone who knows the store knows that's not enough for just about anything. Now, she can't get me a gift card (well she could, for online purchases) which means I don't have to spend an hour weighing my options of double priced kitchenware.

Now, don't get me wrong, we've been able to get some real nice staples (olivewood spatulas, a fancy knife sharpener, great cutting boards, etc.) but I always end up ogling at the $700 All-Clad pot sets, or the $500 Le Creuset bakeware.

--

ETA - The peppermint bark is actually really good. Our store was cleaned out since everything was 30%+ off, and the only thing we could muster to accompany some more 'nice' kitchen tools  was the gift set of 3 flavors of bark. Not worth paying real money for though.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 02:06:34 PM by chemistk »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 07:19:37 PM »
I like their napkins.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 09:52:34 PM »
This is brilliant WASP bad taste bashing. Especially the MN bit. Thanks.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 03:52:27 AM »
Now I want to make macarons. And peppermint bark. Doesn’t look too difficult.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 05:43:10 AM »
I now know what 2021 Christmas gadget from Dad will be, I will ask for the vita mix food processor attachment so I can consolidate 2 appliances into one to save space.  That is a gift right up his alley.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 12:50:01 PM »
These are funny.

Our local W-S is being closed down as W-S tries to move more of its sales online, and I'm thankful.

For the last 5 years, my MIL has gotten me a $100 gift card to W-S and anyone who knows the store knows that's not enough for just about anything. Now, she can't get me a gift card (well she could, for online purchases) which means I don't have to spend an hour weighing my options of double priced kitchenware.

Now, don't get me wrong, we've been able to get some real nice staples (olivewood spatulas, a fancy knife sharpener, great cutting boards, etc.) but I always end up ogling at the $700 All-Clad pot sets, or the $500 Le Creuset bakeware.

--

ETA - The peppermint bark is actually really good. Our store was cleaned out since everything was 30%+ off, and the only thing we could muster to accompany some more 'nice' kitchen tools  was the gift set of 3 flavors of bark. Not worth paying real money for though.

WS is odd because some of their stuff is outrageously priced, but they sell the same name-brand stuff you can get elsewhere and it’s not any more expensive at WS. We have some Le Creuset we got for our wedding 13 years ago and we use pretty much weekly and it’s as-new. I also bought my wife a set of Wusthof Classic knives (partially because I want them too) for Christmas 5 years ago and it was a very good deal on a package special they had (like $250 on a barebones set it would have cost $500+ to build piecemeal). I expect we will have those knives forever.  Also if you or a friend/relative works in food service (my BIL is a chef) they give a pretty sizable discount, I don’t remember how you prove it.

Or you can spend $100 on an apron and some syrup. Just odd.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 03:07:56 PM »
Many years ago (25?), my husband and I each bought the other a set of WS stainless steel measuring cups for Christmas (it's the day I knew our love would last). We exchanged one set for a set of measuring spoons to match.  Still look new.

I also host the family holiday dinners.  Probably 12 years ago, I bought 4 table clothes and 40 napkins.  They also still look new.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 09:39:07 PM »
An extremely close relative works for WS parent co. I can get their stuff at cost+grift.

No thanks.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 01:34:25 AM »
I did a volunteer shift at my fave Thrift Store today. All the electronics we receive are fully tested before they are put out for sale. A customer bought a 7-quart W-S All Clad crock-pot Gourmet Slow Cooker for $20. I told her the sales tax alone would probably be more than that at W-S.

I just checked. The current model sells for $300, which would be about $28 in taxes. Wow.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 02:06:32 AM »
I finally had a moment to browse through the W-S Hater's Guide. (Thanks, insomnia.) OMG, that Breville toaster is sitting on my kitchen counter! I bought it from a neighbor via Next Door. IIRC, I paid $50, which I thought was a tad expensive but hey, my old toaster oven had crapped out and it looked nice. It was very lightly used and came in the original box. LMAO. Sure, mine is the couple-of-years-ago model, but what do I care? It makes good toast, and reheats my scratch made not-from-a-crazy-expensive-W-S-mix batch cooked waffles well. For what it cost someone originally, it damn well should.

Related: For the life of me, I do not get SMEG. Less functionality for w-a-y more money? Hard pass.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »
ATK has reviewed SMEG and confirms that it's all style, no substance. I guess it's for people who don't really cook.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 09:41:58 AM »
I thought $30 for a set of cocktail glasses was oddly reasonable before I realized it's $30 for FANCY TOOTHPICKS.

CodingHare

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »
I finally had a moment to browse through the W-S Hater's Guide. (Thanks, insomnia.) OMG, that Breville toaster is sitting on my kitchen counter! I bought it from a neighbor via Next Door. IIRC, I paid $50, which I thought was a tad expensive but hey, my old toaster oven had crapped out and it looked nice. It was very lightly used and came in the original box. LMAO. Sure, mine is the couple-of-years-ago model, but what do I care? It makes good toast, and reheats my scratch made not-from-a-crazy-expensive-W-S-mix batch cooked waffles well. For what it cost someone originally, it damn well should.

Related: For the life of me, I do not get SMEG. Less functionality for w-a-y more money? Hard pass.

I cannot see SMEG without thinking of the British slang for... well, you can look it up.  It's not something I want to think about in the kitchen.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2020, 12:11:01 PM »

I cannot see SMEG without thinking of the British slang for... well, you can look it up.  It's not something I want to think about in the kitchen.
Exactly.

phildonnia

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2020, 04:34:27 PM »
Entertaining writing.

Whoops, we have a Breville toaster oven just like that we have used heavily for 10+ years that we love.  Although it was a year end employer gift.

IMO, the Breville Toaster Oven is one of those things that's totally worth it.  Although I would say the same thing about my Instant Pot, and I know there's some hate for that.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2020, 05:54:14 PM »
Entertaining writing.

IMO, the Breville Toaster Oven is one of those things that's totally worth it.  Although I would say the same thing about my Instant Pot, and I know there's some hate for that.

People hate the instant pot?

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2020, 06:09:01 PM »
I've seen people talk smack about the Instant Pot here, because true Mustachians just use a simple stove top pressure cooker. Whatever, I think Instant Pots are rad and should not be derided by anyone. You can always buy them off Craigslist for cheap. Instant Pot is not in the same category as Vita Mix if you ask me. And...Vita Mixes are awesome, too...but I'd never buy one.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2020, 07:36:29 PM »
ATK has reviewed SMEG and confirms that it's all style, no substance. I guess it's for people who don't really cook.

What is ATK? What is .sMEG? I guess SMEG is a brand? Who in gods name would name their brand that. Reminds me of smegma.  Ick.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2020, 07:47:02 PM »
America's Test Kitchen--a source I've found indispensable--is ATK. They have an online subscription service with recipes for almost anything.  They also review all sorts of kitchen gear, as well as ingredients.

I don't know what SMEG stands for, but they have really awesome looking appliances that don't work very well.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2020, 07:54:22 PM »

What is ATK? What is .sMEG? I guess SMEG is a brand? Who in gods name would name their brand that. Reminds me of smegma.  Ick.

I always think of the same thing. Terrible name.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2020, 09:03:03 PM »
I've seen people talk smack about the Instant Pot here, because true Mustachians just use a simple stove top pressure cooker. Whatever, I think Instant Pots are rad and should not be derided by anyone. You can always buy them off Craigslist for cheap. Instant Pot is not in the same category as Vita Mix if you ask me. And...Vita Mixes are awesome, too...but I'd never buy one.

Those elitists can pry my instant pot out of my cold dead hands. It is one of the most beloved appliances in my kitchen, nay, my house.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2020, 09:45:17 PM »

Those elitists can pry my instant pot out of my cold dead hands. It is one of the most beloved appliances in my kitchen, nay, my house.

They also maybe don't bulk cook 3 recipes at a time. Thats my favorite part of my (knock off) Instant Pot, that I can make soup, chili, or just beans in it without taking up space on the stove while I cook other things on the stove and in the oven. I even have an extra induction element for when I run out of stove space.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2020, 09:02:03 PM »

I love my Instant Pot.  I donated my crock pot when I got it.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2020, 11:40:13 AM »
I thought I hit the jackpot when I found a Insta pot at the thrift store. When I look it up at retail for well over $50. I paid something like eight to $10.

When I got home had to fight with the lid closing. The closing mechanism was just stupid. It was not intuitive. I fought  with it every time I used it. I finally ended up throwing it in the garbage because I didn’t think anyone else should have to go through that. It was obvious why it was sitting at the thrift store.

So this does not address how well they work because I don’t actually know how well they work, any better than a rice cooker because that’s what I used it for. 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2020, 12:48:04 PM »
I thought I hit the jackpot when I found a Insta pot at the thrift store. When I look it up at retail for well over $50. I paid something like eight to $10.

When I got home had to fight with the lid closing. The closing mechanism was just stupid. It was not intuitive. I fought  with it every time I used it. I finally ended up throwing it in the garbage because I didn’t think anyone else should have to go through that. It was obvious why it was sitting at the thrift store.

So this does not address how well they work because I don’t actually know how well they work, any better than a rice cooker because that’s what I used it for.

My $25 multi "rice" cooker can also slow cook and saute and steam. It can't pressure cook, which is valuable if you're running short of time. I'm rarely short of time now though.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2020, 08:04:22 AM »

Was that an actual Instant PotTM or another electric pressure cooker?  With my Instant Pot you have to have the lid in position before you turn it to close, because it needs a good deal to build pressure.  But it takes at most 10 seconds. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2020, 09:04:34 AM »

Was that an actual Instant PotTM or another electric pressure cooker?  With my Instant Pot you have to have the lid in position before you turn it to close, because it needs a good deal to build pressure.  But it takes at most 10 seconds.

Not entirely sure, but when I look it up I’m pretty sure it was listed as an Insta pot. But aren’t all Insta pot pressure cooker’s? Anyway I don’t know I just know that it was a ridiculously stupid mechanism and it deserved to die in a landfill.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2020, 10:26:33 AM »

Not entirely sure, but when I look it up I’m pretty sure it was listed as an Insta pot. But aren’t all Insta pot pressure cooker’s? Anyway I don’t know I just know that it was a ridiculously stupid mechanism and it deserved to die in a landfill.

I have a non-Instant Pot (TM) electric pressure cooker. The lid clicks into place with a simple turn and gives a little chime when it's in place. So far, no issues unless I forget the gasket or don't seat the vent lock properly (and even then, the lid locks but the pot can't come up to pressure). We eat a lot of beans and rice, and this cooker is a godsend in summer because we don't have central AC and it doesn't heat up the house like the stove does.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2020, 10:42:28 AM »

I have a non-Instant Pot (TM) electric pressure cooker. The lid clicks into place with a simple turn and gives a little chime when it's in place. So far, no issues unless I forget the gasket or don't seat the vent lock properly (and even then, the lid locks but the pot can't come up to pressure). We eat a lot of beans and rice, and this cooker is a godsend in summer because we don't have central AC and it doesn't heat up the house like the stove does.

That is what the Instant Pot does too.  Maybe the lid was warped or damaged and that is why it got donated.

And yes Instant Pot is the brand name.  It seems to be going generic, like Kleenex.  My DD got a non-Instant Pot electric pressure cooker for a wedding gift.  They don't go as high pressure as a stovetop one, but for me they are much more versatile.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2020, 11:31:12 AM »

The brand name is "Instant Pot," not Insta Pot, so maybe you got a knockoff? Or you got a broken one. Or you are one of those people that needs help with childproof medicine bottles for their entire adult life, it's OK, no one's perfect ;-)  I have an Instant Pot and it's really not difficult to put the lid on.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2021, 01:05:47 PM »

.... Or you are one of those people that needs help with childproof medicine bottles for their entire adult life, it's OK, no one's perfect ;-)  I have an Instant Pot and it's really not difficult to put the lid on.
Why yes! Yes I am!

I recently watched a season  of 
Curb Your enthusiasm where Larry David fought  with the same household objects I fight with regularly. Those are clam shell packaged items and any number of soapy dispensers  where you have to twirl and twirl the top. You know those things?  I never figure out how to open them. I have to hand them to DH to open for me.

Sometimes I have trouble with childproof medication containers. Other times I can handle them just fine. Depends on what kind it is what size it is and how my fingers are operating that day.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »

.... Or you are one of those people that needs help with childproof medicine bottles for their entire adult life, it's OK, no one's perfect ;-)  I have an Instant Pot and it's really not difficult to put the lid on.
Why yes! Yes I am!

Curb Your enthusiasm where Larry David fought  with the same household objects I fight with regularly. Those are clam shell packaged items and any number of soapy dispensers  where you have to twirl and twirl the top. You know those things?  I never figure out how to open them. I have to hand them to DH to open for me.

Sometimes I have trouble with childproof medication containers. Other times I can handle them just fine. Depends on what kind it is what size it is and how my fingers are operating that day.

Oh, hand lotion tops.  If you play with them for 10 minutes they give up and open.  Clamshells respond to brute force and heavy duty scissors.  After your post I am feeling very accomplished about being OK using my Instant Pot lid, because I have issues with every thing you mentioned.  ;-)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2021, 11:25:51 AM »

Why yes! Yes I am!

Oh, hand lotion tops.  If you play with them for 10 minutes they give up and open.  Clamshells respond to brute force and heavy duty scissors.  After your post I am feeling very accomplished about being OK using my Instant Pot lid, because I have issues with every thing you mentioned.  ;-)

Sweetheart, you did not have my exact unit. You wouldn’t be sitting so high and mighty if you did.

Ha ha! Kidding

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2021, 12:45:48 PM »

Why yes! Yes I am!

Sweetheart, you did not have my exact unit. You wouldn’t be sitting so high and mighty if you did.

Ha ha! Kidding

I seriously think there was something wrong with your unit!  Which is why the previous owner gave it to the thrift store when it should have been dumped.  I see lots of slow cookers at thrift stores, they've been replaced by the various electronic pressure cookers.  I never see Instant Pots or other brands there.

Oh re plastic clam shells.  I swear they are designed to be unopenable.  I use heavy duty scissors on them, the kind you dismember chickens with.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2021, 02:20:43 PM »
Thanks for the article.

Gave me an idea for my first tattoo.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!