Author Topic: It's a coffee machine  (Read 5492 times)

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
It's a coffee machine
« on: May 29, 2016, 10:15:58 PM »
...that uses instant coffee.

Yes, the latest offering from Nescafe uses your bog standard 43 bean formula in a machine to save you boiling the kettle or microwaving your milk.

Now I'm a coffee snob. But I've been known to drink the odd mug of instant. Seriously though, putting a spoonful of instant coffee into a $100 machine to make a cup? I was gobsmacked when I saw this.

The Nescafe Red Mug.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: It's a coffee machine
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 10:54:22 PM »
French presses are amazing for instant coffee. Very inexpensive. Portable. Obvious to use. Hard to break. Cheap replacement parts or you can replace the whole thing. They can even look pretty classy. They take up no room.

Rustycage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 11:07:46 PM »
I was wondering about this also.

It seems that people will pay for anything these days

*Insert Fry meme*

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 12:36:43 AM »
I hear ya.  It's hard for me to comprehend, but what a lot of people really want is the frothy milk...
I have friends who pride themselves on giving their guests a 'cappuccino' when hosting but its made on moccona instant with milk steamed by a very expensive coffee machine kept for that sole purpose.
on the bright side though, I have fitted out my pantry with an assortment of moccona jars they've given to me.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 12:44:34 AM »
Even the journalist says it's pointless!

cakie

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 01:11:45 AM »
You can froth milk in a plunger! (i assume that's what a french press is). One $10 appliance. I don't do this any more since we never replaced our microwave and i can't be bothered heating milk on the stove :P

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 03:08:58 AM »
I saw an ad for this the other night, and actually rewound it because I thought surely I have misunderstood...

Exactly what I did ozbeach. Saw it, thought "there must be something more to it than that", rewound, watched again and rolled my eyes.

I kind of get the heated milk thing, but $99 is a lot for a milk heater/frother. But when they described how to make a long black as well? With powdered coffee? Lost me there I'm afraid.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 03:10:01 AM »
You can heat milk in the microwave, put a lid on the container and shake: hot frothy milk for no trouble at all.

I can't work out whether that's too simple for the people this machine is aimed at or too complicated.

nick69

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 09:13:39 PM »
That machine is pants on head retarded.  Who would spend all that $ to make crappy instant coffee slightly less crap???

I swapped from milk coffee to black coffee a few years back and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. 
It makes it far cheaper to make it myself (no need to worry about buying milk) and when I do buy coffee from my local cafe they charge $2 instead of $4 a cup :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:17:08 PM by nick69 »

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 05:23:38 AM »
French presses are amazing for instant coffee. Very inexpensive. Portable. Obvious to use. Hard to break. Cheap replacement parts or you can replace the whole thing. They can even look pretty classy. They take up no room.

French press coffee is awesome (I do buy beans and grind them though). I just had to buy a new one (mine broke), and it was $6.

Good plunger/french press coffee and a dash of milk, it's pretty nice. With that and the espresso machine at work, I don't get cafe coffee all that often anymore.

Although I did buy a moka pot the other day ($20), but that's more for experimentation. :)

Instant? I've been turned off by drinking International Roast in the past. Ugh.

Also yeah, pods are far too expensive.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 06:10:28 AM »
I love coffee, and I would rather not drink coffee if it is instant.  Barf.

Seconded on the french press coffee. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 01:52:14 PM »
I think an Aeropress is awesome for those that like espressos. I bought one in my pre-MMM days and actually got a decent use out of it when I had access to a water cooler with a hot water function. I slowly drifted away from using it and now it just collects dust, but I thought the espressos it made were excellent.

Rustycage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 08:44:38 PM »
I used pods for a while (got a used machine of my parents), but it is no substitute for a french press or Moka pot.

I am a bit of a snob (maybe?) when it comes to the beans though. Only Vittoria when on special at the supermarket :)

nick69

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 12:53:45 AM »
I think an Aeropress is awesome for those that like espressos. I bought one in my pre-MMM days and actually got a decent use out of it when I had access to a water cooler with a hot water function. I slowly drifted away from using it and now it just collects dust, but I thought the espressos it made were excellent.

I have an Aeropress as well, provided you don't mind using a little elbow grease it's by far my favourite coffee making gizmo.
Not long ago I spent an extra ~$10 on a metal filter so that I don't have to buy paper filters any more, definitely worth it.  :)

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 05:55:26 AM »
I've been slightly obsessed with different coffee brewing methods since my wife and I started traveling more and in my opinion you can't beat Turkish/Greek coffee for taste and simplicity. Grind the beans super fine, mix with water in the briki, heat, and pour out into a cup. No filters or moving parts to deal with, and just as easy to do over an electric stove, gas stove, or camp fire.

Just don't drink the stuff at the bottom of the cup ;)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 04:39:59 PM »
A microwave plus $19 for one of these from Amazon does a nice job: