Author Topic: Is $49.99 a good price for less than a liter of vinegar?  (Read 3373 times)

a1pharm

• Stubble

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Is $49.99 a good price for less than a liter of vinegar?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 09:53:28 PM »
Only if it is the kind made fron fermented unicorn tears.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 05:05:11 AM »
it must be, it's sold out.

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 11:47:35 AM »
Can't see the original price, I guess $70.41 (x 71% = $49.99)?  Nothing suspicious about that price at all.  Limit 10 per customer is a bit of a bummer, 9L of vinegar is just not enough for a Valentine's day gift.  That is if they even have gift wrapping.

a1pharm

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 12:22:24 PM »
Can't see the original price, I guess $70.41 (x 71% = $49.99)?  Nothing suspicious about that price at all.  Limit 10 per customer is a bit of a bummer, 9L of vinegar is just not enough for a Valentine's day gift.  That is if they even have gift wrapping.

lol, agreed - who has time for wrapping gifts with so much reality TV to watch?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 02:20:59 PM »
But it's 29% off, so it's gotta be a good deal, right?

https://wine.woot.com/offers/the-japanese-pantry-brown-rice-vinegar?ref=w_cnt_cdet_wine_dly_img

The price really isn't all that surprising.  This isn't distilled white vinegar - it's aged and takes an assload of work to make, not unlike authentic balsamic, which can run over $100 for a much smaller bottle.

It's not a cheap purchase most mustachians would make, but it's not unusually expensive either.

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 02:34:42 PM »
I mean, it's one banana, Michael. What could it cost, ten dollars?

a1pharm

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 02:56:16 PM »

https://wine.woot.com/offers/the-japanese-pantry-brown-rice-vinegar?ref=w_cnt_cdet_wine_dly_img

The price really isn't all that surprising.  This isn't distilled white vinegar - it's aged and takes an assload of work to make, not unlike authentic balsamic, which can run over $100 for a much smaller bottle.

It's not a cheap purchase most mustachians would make, but it's not unusually expensive either.

I'm a chemist of sorts by trade, and I always giggle when companies sell expensive acetic acid.  Especially when sold by wineries, because when a fermentation goes sour (pun intended), vinegar is the result.  In the past, wineries would shamefully and quietly dispose of their errors - nowadays they sell them as "artisnal."

I imagine pet rocks were made from better rocks that typical rocks.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 03:11:03 PM »

I'm a chemist of sorts by trade, and I always giggle when companies sell expensive acetic acid.  Especially when sold by wineries, because when a fermentation goes sour (pun intended), vinegar is the result.  In the past, wineries would shamefully and quietly dispose of their errors - nowadays they sell them as "artisnal."

sure.. and you could say the same thing about alcohol  - and yet the store is lined with $50 bottles of wine and $8 craft beers and premium vodkas.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 05:32:55 PM »

sure.. and you could say the same thing about alcohol  - and yet the store is lined with $50 bottles of wine and $8 craft beers and premium vodkas.

Yeah, most of the premium vodkas are crap. Except for the marketing. If you are using any kind of mixer, any $8 vodka will do.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 04:53:05 PM »
We drizzle various liquids into our noodle bowls. If this would be drizzleworthy it's close to a BIFL.

On the other hand, my favorite drizzleliquid is roast garlic oil. Can't really see how this would be five times tastier.