Author Topic: Irony  (Read 16475 times)

jlajr

• Stubble
Irony
« on: February 28, 2015, 12:39:06 AM »
Hello.

A local ad for the Chevrolet Trax (sp?) appears right now at the bottom of the MMM forum pages I'm visiting.

Only 777 Israeli shekels (about USD 200) per month!

Alabaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Irony
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 01:00:15 AM »
Hello:

Are you aware of an awesome plugin called adblock plus?

It is amazing. 

P.S. It is ironic that add would show up here though. :P

boogiewoogie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 07:00:05 AM »
I didn't realize there are adverts on this forum. I don't see them even when I have adblock disabled... Perhaps you have some malware?

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 04:46:47 PM »
I don't use adblock, because if a website provides information for free, then it has to earn money somehow.
Here's what I see (see attachment).

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 04:52:04 PM »
I have no problems with MMM making a few cents per thousand page views.  (No way is he making the big ad money because stachians aren't going to click on ads.)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 05:54:43 PM »

I don't use adblock, because if a website provides information for free, then it has to earn money somehow.
Here's what I see (see attachment).

That's targeted at you based on your browsing habits. I've never seen that one. I always get a B2R one (a lender who specializes in rental property owners).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

jlajr

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 10:46:35 PM »
I also don't use ad blocking plugins, agreeing with ildar, "...if a website provides information for free, then it has to earn money somehow".

The same reasoning also applies to free-to-air TV channels, radio, free newspapers, and so on.

But, yes, I was pointing out the irony of a SUV/"crossover"/truck ad appearing to me on pages of this particular forum...

Maybe the ad server doesn't understand the sarcasm of last year's April Fools MMM blogpost, http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/04/01/the-top-4-suvs-for-growing-families/. :)

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 10:13:11 AM »
I have been doing a lot of trip planning lately for a HCOL area of Italy so I am getting some adverts for some places with whopper sized rates.  Staying in a nice B7B for $90 euro  a night just the same.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 02:43:35 PM »
I'm getting ads for Craftsy. Which is well targeted, as I'm curretly watching a class in another browser screen.  I adore craftsy for learning something new on the weekend. Their paid classes are better than their free ones, but the  free ones aren't too bad.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »
Last year when doing research on visiting St Petersburg Russia, I had a couple weeks of pop ups from "Date Russian Women Tonight!" sites.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 05:17:31 PM »
I'm guessing someone in your home has been car shopping .  The ad showing on my page is for cameras because I was recently researching a camera to buy. 

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 05:41:50 PM »
I have "latest Deals at best buy" and I haven't been to their site in a looooong time.

TootTootBeepBeep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 05:55:58 PM »
I get a momentary ad when I first click into the goals section of my Mint account. It always flashes a goal of: $200 a month closer to owning a BMW.

They obviously have no idea how wrong they are.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 08:39:27 AM »
That's targeted at you based on your browsing habits. I've never seen that one. I always get a B2R one (a lender who specializes in rental property owners).
Ooh. Are they legit? I could use some new options for my rental LLC.
I get a momentary ad when I first click into the goals section of my Mint account. It always flashes a goal of: $200 a month closer to owning a BMW.

That's adorable. At that rate, you'll own one when you're dead.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 08:52:34 AM »

Hahaha I get that too! It's so weird!!!

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 09:09:27 AM »
I get "Grand Canyon Train" which is reflective of my browsing history.  Pretty sure MMM has zero connection. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 09:29:41 AM »
Ticketmaster right now. No idea why, I haven't bought tickets in months.

Though, I am at work.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 02:42:35 PM »

Me too! "Save for a downpayment on a BMW!" Who the fuck puts a downpayment on a car? If you're financing, they might require a small deposit; that's as far as it goes. Either you can afford it, or you can't...

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 06:55:23 PM »
Last year when doing research on visiting St Petersburg Russia, I had a couple weeks of pop ups from "Date Russian Women Tonight!" sites.

That's it? Way to keep us hanging. How was St. Pete, and how were Nadia and Sashia?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 11:51:18 PM »

Me too! "Save for a downpayment on a BMW!" Who the fuck puts a downpayment on a car? If you're financing, they might require a small deposit; that's as far as it goes. Either you can afford it, or you can't...

I was under the impression that in some parts of America cars cost more than houses?

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 12:07:11 AM »

I was under the impression that in some parts of America cars cost more than houses?
Some cars cost more than some houses in parts of America you probably don't want to live in. Mostly small towns far from any cultural or economic activity, or dangerous inner-city neighborhoods.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 07:22:49 AM »

Not cars normal people drive.  But like a Ferrari, Rolls, Lamborghini, or Bentley -yeah.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 07:27:16 AM »

Not cars normal people drive.  But like a Ferrari, Rolls, Lamborghini, or Bentley -yeah.

Depending on where you live and what you drive.  You could easily drop 50k on a super duty truck, and live in a 40k house in detroit.  But even in detroit your house typically costs more than your car or truck.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 08:08:45 AM »

It's possible in older, depressed neighborhoods, but not in most places. I live in a moderately LCOL area, and one neighbor keeps a BMW 7.35 in the yard (sigh... Bama) of a ~100K house. That's the closest I've seen lately. Right across the street, another neighbor occasionally does the same thing with a smaller 3 or 5 series.

I used to take the train through East St. Louis (a depressed, high-crime area) and regularly saw luxury cars parked in front of near-worthless houses. It was interesting.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 07:19:45 PM »

Some cars cost more than some houses in parts of America you probably don't want to live in. Mostly small towns far from any cultural or economic activity, or dangerous inner-city neighborhoods.

Speak for yourself. For less than the cost of many (non luxury brand) cars, I have 25 acres of hardwood forest with mountain views on three sides, clean air to breathe, and no need to consider things like hiking trails or recreational areas because I live in one. Only came with a trailer, true, but we fixed that by building a house. We could easily have gotten a nice house on an acre or so for less than those same cars. Neither a small town nor an inner city.

rosaz

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 12:32:36 PM »
Speak for yourself. For less than the cost of many (non luxury brand) cars, I have 25 acres of hardwood forest with mountain views on three sides, clean air to breathe, and no need to consider things like hiking trails or recreational areas because I live in one. Only came with a trailer, true, but we fixed that by building a house. We could easily have gotten a nice house on an acre or so for less than those same cars. Neither a small town nor an inner city.

Sorry, us city dwellers would probably refer to that as a "small town" - admittedly inaccurate :)

Rural life can definitely be awesome for those who are retired/can work from home/involved in "rural-type" trades (like farming)/in a field where they can find a job anywhere. But for a lot of people, the reduced income from living in a rural area would outweigh the low COL; so I think the point stands. You pay a lot more for a house than a car, if you want a house in an area where it's easy to find well-paying work.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 10:50:19 AM »

Just this past weekend I saw a late-model Benz S550 (I think these have a base price around $95k and go up from there) parked in front of a building in Brooklyn that looked like it might fall down any second. It smacked of skewed priorities, but I digress.

Rural, your situation sounds very appealing. May I ask what part of the country you're in? I've been curious about this idea and have begun to do a little research on acquiring land for homesteading/timber/hunting in the northeast, but the property taxes seem to be a big hurdle (especially in NH, where property tax is one of the only taxes they seem to have). Ideally, I'd be right in that goldilocks zone where I could bike into town for supplies, but be far enough away to get a decent-sized plot.

I am also amused by the irony of a car that almost certainly would fit the description of "clown car" being advertised on the site where that term was coined. I feel like Honda and Toyota would have better luck advertising their smaller lines around here. Actually, this website/forum is a pretty concentrated group that is right in their wheelhouse, I detect an opportunity...

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 01:42:20 PM »
My husband bought his first house (now one of our rentals) for 40k, and it is not in a terrible neighborhood. I paid 72k for my duplex, and we recently paid 70k for our house in a wonderful neighborhood. Welcome to the Midwest! Where you can, in fact, purchase a house for less than the cost of a car. (And it's not a shit hole!)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 04:15:52 PM »

Just this past weekend I saw a late-model Benz S550 (I think these have a base price around $95k and go up from there) parked in front of a building in Brooklyn that looked like it might fall down any second. It smacked of skewed priorities, but I digress.

Rural, your situation sounds very appealing. May I ask what part of the country you're in? I've been curious about this idea and have begun to do a little research on acquiring land for homesteading/timber/hunting in the northeast, but the property taxes seem to be a big hurdle (especially in NH, where property tax is one of the only taxes they seem to have). Ideally, I'd be right in that goldilocks zone where I could bike into town for supplies, but be far enough away to get a decent-sized plot.

We're southeast, and property taxes aren't much of a consideration. Biking for supplies is out of the question, though - mountain switchbacks and narrow two-lane roads. You take the bad with the good. :-)

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 08:25:13 AM »

Oh is that an ad? I saw something similar and assumed it was some other person's information, which was making me very concerned about Mint's privacy and security. But it could easily be an ad, some kind of subliminal messaging thing.

Either way I'm not very happy with Mint these days. Ever since Intuit bought them they have added zero functionality and just been cramming ads in at every possible opportunity. But I suppose that's somewhat off topic...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 10:09:31 AM »
So, to be more comprehensive and accurate, we should say "low demand areas" - both depressed/undesirable, and merely remote/spread-out.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 08:43:10 AM »
...and today, the ad banner at bottom is trying to sell me a Corvette. *snort*

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 12:07:06 PM »
I didn't think adblock stopped the website owner from getting revenue.  The ad company still thinks the ad is there, I just don't see it.  Am I wrong?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 12:14:07 PM »
I didn't think adblock stopped the website owner from getting revenue.  The ad company still thinks the ad is there, I just don't see it.  Am I wrong?

Ads are typically paid on a per-click basis, not on a "display this for x length of time" flat fee basis.

Not clicking an ad is the same as blocking it in terms of revenue, typically.  (Though that's not true for ones that pay per page view.)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:16:01 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »
Hey rebs, your blue became red. Did you travel very quickly away from us (the observers)?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2015, 01:09:57 PM »
Hey rebs, your blue became red. Did you travel very quickly away from us (the observers)?

No, I just got very angry.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2015, 01:41:06 PM »
Congratulations on your anger, then.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 01:48:06 PM »
Congratulations on your anger, then.

Thanks.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2015, 02:17:41 PM »
I am also amused by the irony of a car that almost certainly would fit the description of "clown car" being advertised on the site where that term was coined. I feel like Honda and Toyota would have better luck advertising their smaller lines around here. Actually, this website/forum is a pretty concentrated group that is right in their wheelhouse, I detect an opportunity...

A new-car-buying schmuck that picks a Honda or Toyota is still a new-car-buying schmuck.

I've never seen a banner ad for Craigslist (perhaps because I block ads), but that's about the only thing I think makes sense here.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2015, 02:25:44 PM »

A new-car-buying schmuck that picks a Honda or Toyota is still a new-car-buying schmuck.

I've never seen a banner ad for Craigslist (perhaps because I block ads), but that's about the only thing I think makes sense here.

What about bikes and bike accessories? Concentrated demographic that legitimately needs to purchase cycling accessories.

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »

At $200 a month, you could own a BMW...

...save the money for 20 years, then pay cash at the stealership, and then you'd OWN it.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2015, 03:09:04 PM »

What about bikes and bike accessories? Concentrated demographic that legitimately needs to purchase cycling accessories.

Eh, good point, Jack. Still, I get the feeling that Honda/Toyota brand ownership probably trends higher on this forum than in the population at large, and I would think that their advertising people might see that as an opportunity. Especially if they didn't read the rest of the blog ;-)

To frugalnacho's suggestion - probably a lot of overlap between forum readers and Nashbar shoppers, for instance...

To be honest, I never actually notice the ads anyway, just musing.

branman42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2015, 05:38:08 PM »

At $200 a month, you could own a BMW...

...save the money for 20 years, then pay cash at the stealership, and then you'd OWN it.

I think the OP meant that they were not and never would save for a BMW, not that $200 a month could never pay for it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!