Author Topic: Insane work hours hurt everyone  (Read 13089 times)

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
Insane work hours hurt everyone
« on: February 24, 2020, 05:49:08 PM »
This story from Harvard Business Review was heartbreaking:

https://hbr.org/2020/03/whats-really-holding-women-back

It's a study about what causes gender imbalance in the workplace, especially at high-level senior positions that require long hours and round-the-clock availability. The common assumption is that women value family over work and don't want to make the extreme sacrifices these jobs demand, but the authors found that's not true. Men suffer from overwork and miss their families just as much as women do. The only difference is that men are culturally expected to suck it up.

Whereas firm members attributed distress over work/family conflict primarily to women, we found that many men were suffering, too. “I was traveling three days a week and seeing my children once or twice a week for 45 minutes before they went to bed,” one told us. He recalled a particularly painful Saturday when he told his son he couldn’t come to his soccer game. “He burst into tears,” the man said. “I wanted to quit then and there.”

or this one:

“When my first child was born, I got to carry her from the delivery room to the nursery. It’s almost like I could feel the chemicals releasing in my brain. I fell so chemically, deeply, in love with my daughter. I couldn’t imagine a world without her. I mean, here it was in [just] the first eight minutes of her life. So I can understand, ‘How can I possibly give this up and go back to work?’”

And what was his takeaway from this emotionally charged experience? A sense that he better understood the difficulties women face in trying to balance work and family! To banish his guilt and sadness about returning to his highly demanding workweeks, he projected his intense emotional experience onto the women at the firm—a move that allowed him to let go of those feelings while still identifying with them.

There's a cruel double standard perpetuated by many companies: they have work-from-home policies, flex time and other family-friendly accommodations, but penalize the employees - mostly women - who make use of them. They get passed over for raises and promotions because they're seen as less committed to the job. On the other hand, hard-working women who don't make use of these accommodations are also penalized, because bosses assume they're neglecting their families and that makes them bad role models!

The culture of insane hours and overwork hurts everyone, both the men who are suffering in silence and the women who are in a no-win situation. What these companies need is a little more Mustachianism, and more employees who are willing to push back and refuse outrageous demands:

If we want to solve this problem, we must reconsider what we’re willing to allow the workplace to demand of all employees. Such a reconsideration is possible. As individual families and employees push back against overwork, they will pave the way for others to follow. And as more research shows the business advantage of reasonable hours, some employers will come to question the wisdom of grueling schedules.

ownmytime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Insane work hours hurt everyone
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 06:20:34 PM »
I retired at 57 years old, after 32 years of work at the same organization, from a job I loved because my doctor told me it was killing me.  Unprompted by any mention of stress by me she told me "Every six months you continue at this level of stress is taking five years off your life."   I did continue working for two years after she told me this but then the exhaustion of 15 hour days - 12 hours a day working and 3 hours commuting plus texts in the evenings and weekends - caused me to walk away.  I still miss parts of my job but I feel better as I can now sleep (the stress would wake me up after a few hours of sleep), exercise regularly and have energy left for my family (husband and three teenage and young adult children).   When I was working I would see my family late in the evening but I was so tired and strung out I wasn't really present and engaged.  My husband told me if I didn't retire he would divorce me.
  I am skeptical change will ever occur regarding the insane hours we are "expected" to work as our culture glorifies working these hours. 

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 07:14:01 PM »
The Millennial Revolution blog has an article about this (warning: profanity): https://www.millennial-revolution.com/freedom/the-fuck-over-ability-index/

Basically, employers like employees who are deep in debt, have expensive lifestyles, and live paycheque to paycheque, because they have to do whatever their manager tells them to do.

I think there's more to it than that - including technology, corporate downsizing, and a culture that glorifies "busyness" - but companies also do it because they can get away with it because people can't risk losing their jobs. I've heard partners at my firm say "we like people with big mortgages", and have been pressured to buy property in this VHCOL city.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 05:48:57 AM »
I remember our first meeting with a high-level female executive at my company. One of the things she said that struck me as insanity on so many levels was "I know that if I have a question at 2:30am I can just call x and he'll have an answer for me!".

I don't care how much the job pays if A: I'm going to be awake at 2:30AM worrying about it, or B: If I'm the poor sucker getting called at 2:30AM to answer bs questions that could have waited until 9AM.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 06:21:20 AM »
I remember our first meeting with a high-level female executive at my company. One of the things she said that struck me as insanity on so many levels was "I know that if I have a question at 2:30am I can just call x and he'll have an answer for me!".

I don't care how much the job pays if A: I'm going to be awake at 2:30AM worrying about it, or B: If I'm the poor sucker getting called at 2:30AM to answer bs questions that could have waited until 9AM.

When I started working for my current employer, she would send me emails and text messages after 10pm and I replied each time with "go to sleep".

Ducknald Don

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Oxford, UK
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 06:53:43 AM »
I've heard partners at my firm say "we like people with big mortgages", and have been pressured to buy property in this VHCOL city.

I've been on the receiving end of that as has my son in his current job.

One of the joys of being a saver is you can push back against that sort of bullshit. I'm convinced this is better for the employer as well, modern workplaces need independent thinkers.

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 07:11:08 AM »
I've heard partners at my firm say "we like people with big mortgages", and have been pressured to buy property in this VHCOL city.

I've been on the receiving end of that as has my son in his current job.

One of the joys of being a saver is you can push back against that sort of bullshit. I'm convinced this is better for the employer as well, modern workplaces need independent thinkers.

It also helps to understand the actual math of home ownership, rather than just looking at the big gains boomers made in the past.

Luckily I don’t get this same pressure from my family. My parents are in favour of home ownership, but they understand that the financial value of a home is the rent it saves you by living in it, and that home ownership costs way more than the mortgage. They accumulated their wealth through stock market investing, not a massive windfall on their primary residence.

UndergroundDaytimeDad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 09:23:21 AM »
The Millennial Revolution blog has an article about this (warning: profanity): https://www.millennial-revolution.com/freedom/the-fuck-over-ability-index/

I really enjoyed this article.  I tend to do these mental calculations to see how close to the wire someone lives. I also now realize why an old boss looked so confused when I pushed back on awful tasks.  Clearly she miscalculated.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 12:05:43 PM »
That was a fantastic article.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 12:18:55 PM »
That article is a work of art.

Lucky13

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 01:32:35 PM »
yes heartbreaking, really hits home, as just last night I learned a friend was sick... the last time I saw him 2 weeks ago, he was working until midnight and on weekend to meet a deadline, I'm not surprised it affected his health. Makes me so angry, but I understand when your job is on the line it's almost impossible to say "no" and managers are also under pressure from "upper management" or the big boss or whoever to enforce the insane work hours.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:47:46 PM by Lucky13 »

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 10:06:04 AM »

Basically, employers like employees who are deep in debt, have expensive lifestyles, and live paycheque to paycheque, because they have to do whatever their manager tells them to do.

I think there's more to it than that - including technology, corporate downsizing, and a culture that glorifies "busyness" - but companies also do it because they can get away with it because people can't risk losing their jobs. I've heard partners at my firm say "we like people with big mortgages", and have been pressured to buy property in this VHCOL city.

This is frustrating as a mustachian since employers have limited experience with staff that don't indebt themselves severely.  My attitude probably appears more cavalier than average and I think it disturbs them.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 11:55:18 AM »

Just curious, was the fact that the high-level executive was female have anything to do with the rest of the story?  I mean, I have had that same experience many many times with male execs, yet I never called them "a high level male executive" 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 12:37:21 PM »

This is frustrating as a mustachian since employers have limited experience with staff that don't indebt themselves severely.  My attitude probably appears more cavalier than average and I think it disturbs them.
I'd say a very good percentage of my coworkers (including my boss) are super cheap like me (which is good and bad).

Not all of them though.  There is one particular 70 year old man who seems to think I should add a $500k second story to my house because it will pay for itself when I sell the house!  No it won't.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 02:54:29 PM »

I'd say a very good percentage of my coworkers (including my boss) are super cheap like me (which is good and bad).

Not all of them though.  There is one particular 70 year old man who seems to think I should add a $500k second story to my house because it will pay for itself when I sell the house!  No it won't.

Seems weird that your coworkers are frugal.  What do you think the explanation is?  I've always found frugal people to be outliers.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 01:54:36 PM »

Seems weird that your coworkers are frugal.  What do you think the explanation is?  I've always found frugal people to be outliers.
- Bunch of engineers
- Most of whom were graduate students for a long time
- A fair % moved here from various other countries (Asia mostly, but also Europe)
- Startup company always trying to cut costs, so some self selection bias there also.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 02:10:41 PM »

- Bunch of engineers
- A fair % moved here from various other countries (Asia mostly, but also Europe)
- Startup company always trying to cut costs, so some self selection bias there also.
That makes sense.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 06:42:18 PM »
- Bunch of engineers

Sounds like mine, but in my case add that lots of them came from rural areas, where many grew up helping with DIY repairs.

Engineers tend to be pragmatists, and many have skillsets that translate well to saving money.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2020, 08:16:03 PM »
"The subs themselves made Johnstone possible by obeying his impossible orders."

Bukowski, Post Office

The_Big_H

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 10:28:52 PM »
- Bunch of engineers

Sounds like mine, but in my case add that lots of them came from rural areas, where many grew up helping with DIY repairs.

Engineers tend to be pragmatists, and many have skillsets that translate well to saving money.

engineering helps a bit, but not a whole lot, at least in my office.  It prevents a lot of utter financial recklessness, but just about as much of the usual upperish middle-class level consumerism. (expensive car on a low apr 5 yr note vs. say lease or 7+ year note w high apr)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2020, 07:11:54 AM »
There are actually quite a few frugal people in my department. I work in a research department for gov. It skews female with science, tech or social work backgrounds. Unlike the private university staff/faculty there is no culture of "status" consumption, or one upping people. There have been a number of my co-workers who have retired sooner than ave retirement age, but more 62 than extreme mustachian. I like where I work. There are lots of conversations in the break room about recipes (the majority brown bag it with homemade food).

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2020, 07:17:07 AM »

I'm right there with you.

Years ago I was the manager of the programmers for a North American subsidiary of an International firm.  The CIO informed me he had ordered pagers for me and the other programmers.

I looked him in the eye and quietly said, "When I and my programmers write such bad code that we need to have pagers, **I** will find another line of work."   Then I just looked at him.

Never saw those damn pagers.

That is the power of FU money (and being damn good at a key job).

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2020, 10:32:13 PM »

When I started working for my current employer, she would send me emails and text messages after 10pm and I replied each time with "go to sleep".

I got myself in trouble by telling a physio who emailed me at 11pm that she was a fucking physio not a brain surgeon. Few people die through urgent lack of physio-fucking-therapy!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 02:47:47 AM »

I got myself in trouble by telling a physio who emailed me at 11pm that she was a fucking physio not a brain surgeon. Few people die through urgent lack of physio-fucking-therapy!

Well...yeah.
Even I would fire you as a patient if you said that to me.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2020, 04:07:32 AM »

Well...yeah.

Not her patient, actually a distant colleague that she really didn't need to email at all.

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2020, 04:14:35 AM »
I have a millennial friend who gets docked pay if he doesn’t answer a text message within 15 minutes any hour of the day. The guys texting him are old and in far away time zones.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2020, 04:33:14 AM »

Well...yeah.

Not her patient, actually a distant colleague that she really didn't need to email at all.

Ah, that makes more sense.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2020, 06:48:36 AM »
I have a millennial friend who gets docked pay if he doesn’t answer a text message within 15 minutes any hour of the day. The guys texting him are old and in far away time zones.
How can that be legal?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2020, 03:15:23 PM »

Does an autoreply saying "I am asleep, will reply when I wake up" count as a reply?

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2020, 05:09:00 PM »

If your business really requires someone to be available 24 hours a day, there’s a simple solution: hire someone to work the night shift or to be on call for defined hours (like doctors). Anything else is unreasonable.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 05:13:36 PM by raincoast »

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2020, 05:52:00 PM »
There's a cruel double standard perpetuated by many companies: they have work-from-home policies, flex time and other family-friendly accommodations, but penalize the employees - mostly women - who make use of them. They get passed over for raises and promotions because they're seen as less committed to the job. On the other hand, hard-working women who don't make use of these accommodations are also penalized, because bosses assume they're neglecting their families and that makes them bad role models!
Women do indeed suffer from a double bind.

Nonetheless, I have little sympathy for the men complaining in the article. If you want to excel in anything, you will sacrifice other areas of your life. Top athletes neglect their families, too, famous writers mostly have shit lovelives, and good fathers tend not to go far professionally. You can't do everything.

I had to choose between professional advancement (in small business) and family. I chose family. That's nobody's fault, that's just life, there are only so many hours in a day. No, you can't have it all, nor does anyone owe that to you.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2020, 01:36:04 PM »
Women do indeed suffer from a double bind.

Nonetheless, I have little sympathy for the men complaining in the article. If you want to excel in anything, you will sacrifice other areas of your life. Top athletes neglect their families, too, famous writers mostly have shit lovelives, and good fathers tend not to go far professionally. You can't do everything.

I had to choose between professional advancement (in small business) and family. I chose family. That's nobody's fault, that's just life, there are only so many hours in a day. No, you can't have it all, nor does anyone owe that to you.
Very good point to make today, even.  When the local news site says they are canceling the Gifted program at one of the schools, for incoming 3rd grade only.  Well, the reason they are doing it is that there were ONLY 11 students interested in enrolling.  Usually, there are 25 in a class and a 10-25 kid waitlist. 

Oh goodness the privileged mommas and daddas talking about how their exceptional children are/ were bored in regular classes - so much they had to work with their kids at home.  And this program, it saved them!   And not everyone can do private school for their exceptional children.

Yeah, I get it.  You can get free public education.  You can get excellent, tailored education to your children's special needs (whatever they may be).  If you hit the jackpot, you can get both.  (My kids are Gifted, we opted to stay at our home school, and our teachers have been fabulous at challenging them!)  But you are not OWED that.  One of the people complaining that not everyone can DO private school is a friend of mine - they've both got PhDs in engineering - i KNOW what they make.  You can afford private school.

There's a limited budget and I feel like it's MUCH better spent getting all the other kids to grade level.  Getting the extra support for the disabled students (THIS IS NOT CHEAP.)

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 01:45:15 AM »
Yes. Once my son started school, I quickly realised that it was not about helping each child reach their individual potential, it was about having them achieve certain standards. Around 1/3 of the class can achieve the standard on the first day before the teacher does anything with them; they are ignored. Around 1/3 will get there with a bit of help, so long as they show up to 80% or so of class days and don't have too much wax in their ears. That leaves 1/3 who are way below standard and need a lot of help or they'll have to grow up to be beauticians, members of parliament and football players; these are the ones the teachers spend most of their time on.

Which 1/3rd your child is in depends largely on you. Basically, if you read them a bedtime story each night, have educated adults visit the home and have the kids around while they talk, if you feed them three good meals a day, if you don't abuse alcohol or drugs and have a stable marriage - they're going to be top 1/3rd in their class.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2020, 05:42:13 AM »

If your business really requires someone to be available 24 hours a day, there’s a simple solution: hire someone to work the night shift or to be on call for defined hours (like doctors). Anything else is unreasonable.

What is and isn't unreasonable is really for the employee to decide. As long as the parameters are well set out on advance and transparent, it's a free market.

I sometimes have to work long hours straight under immense pressure. Occasionally I have had to work from 4am-11pm one day and then 6am - 8pm the next. And that was full-on work, no screwing around. I did it for the money, it was fine. If I didn't want to do it I could have not accepted the assignment.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2020, 10:50:32 AM »
Which 1/3rd your child is in depends largely on you. Basically, if you read them a bedtime story each night, have educated adults visit the home and have the kids around while they talk, if you feed them three good meals a day, if you don't abuse alcohol or drugs and have a stable marriage - they're going to be top 1/3rd in their class.
Sorry, this generalization strikes me as rather callous.
Just know that among that bottom 1/3 are still a fair mix of kids with non-environmental road blocks, where kids struggle despite good parenting.  Good friends of ours have a daughter who has a couple learning disabilities despite two fully educated, highly involved, and dedicated parents.  There are laws in place to assure these kids get the necessary extra help they need.  Sadly getting a school to properly recognize/admit which kids are in this situation and need these extra dollars spent on them often requires dogged determination, lawyer fees, and an intimate knowledge of "The System".  Were this same kid in the hands of even slightly less stubborn parents she would likely have been a write-off to the school system rather than currently barely treading water.  Many other anecdotes are out there, many with years of heartbreaking parental efforts without any fairy tail ending in sight.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2020, 11:44:55 AM »
Just know that among that bottom 1/3 are still a fair mix of kids with non-environmental road blocks, where kids struggle despite good parenting.  Good friends of ours have a daughter who has a couple learning disabilities despite two fully educated, highly involved, and dedicated parents.  There are laws in place to assure these kids get the necessary extra help they need.  Sadly getting a school to properly recognize/admit which kids are in this situation and need these extra dollars spent on them often requires dogged determination, lawyer fees, and an intimate knowledge of "The System".  Were this same kid in the hands of even slightly less stubborn parents she would likely have been a write-off to the school system rather than currently barely treading water.  Many other anecdotes are out there, many with years of heartbreaking parental efforts without any fairy tail ending in sight.
I don't think he intentionally left out disabled kids.  He was making a generalization.

I've got friends who are both teachers...one of them went to Stanford and Berkeley.  One of their sons is gifted, the other is disabled (genetic defect), will ALWAYS need help, and his mom basically had to quit working when he was born. (He's a teenager now.)

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 07:09:08 AM »
Yeah, the kid could be disabled, and the kid could, god forbid, get hit by a truck tomorrow. Bad things happen. Such is life.

I'm talking about the things you can control, not all the other nonsense life throws at us. I stand by what I said.

Guess what, if you as a parent of disabled kids... let's see, what was it? "if you read them a bedtime story each night, have educated adults visit the home and have the kids around while they talk, if you feed them three good meals a day, if you don't abuse alcohol or drugs and have a stable marriage" - they are going to be a lot better off than in the reverse situation.

Where are all the average kids? Nowadays everyone's kid is gifted, or disabled, or somehow both at once. Somehow we no longer have average kids, they're all special - autistic, allergic and asthmatic. What happened to the kid who just sorta paid attention in class and picked their nose during long division and was kind of mostly picked for the team and was happy to get a C, and more importantly their parent who sent them outside to play and told them to come back home before dinner with all the fingers and toes they left the house with?

This desire for every kid to be special is what leads to insane work hours. We have to work hard to send them to that private school, let's just hope it's not one where the teachers molest the students, eh? Look, work sensible hours, come home, talk to your spouse and kids, have a cup of tea and relax. You're probably never going to become CEO, make partner, get an industry award or get a Nobel Prize however long you spend at work.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 11:10:22 AM »
Contrast this to what you see anywhere in Europe, for instance, with shorter than 40-hour weeks and people actually going home when their shifts end, and you see that the work still gets done and there's still the ability to get family time with children and loved ones. It's a matter of priorities. The biggest impact I think mustachianism, or in general frugality, can have on society (outside of the beneficial impact of reduced consumption on the planet) is simply that employees are more likely to prioritize things that don't always correlate positively with income and in so doing gain power over employers to back away from profit-mindedness. Maybe that becomes a springboard to a greater plurality of employers, as people depart bad jobs to create good ones for themselves and potentially others as well.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2020, 11:25:58 AM »
I don't think he intentionally left out disabled kids.  He was making a generalization.

I've got friends who are both teachers...one of them went to Stanford and Berkeley.  One of their sons is gifted, the other is disabled (genetic defect), will ALWAYS need help, and his mom basically had to quit working when he was born. (He's a teenager now.)
One of my personal peeves is the Exception Martyr that seems to leap from the woodwork and brow beat the sane poster into submission with their holier-than-thou edge cases.

You see...that sane poster is really a terrible and heartless monster because they didn't explicitly take into account poor Timmy in Timbuktu who...you know...is an outlier...and doesn't deserve such callous treatment.

Apparently Exception Martyrs can't handle an argument that doesn't cover precisely 100% of situations.  If it isn't Black, it has to be White! 

Aren't they saintly?!  Look how they are championing for the vast minority!  How noble! How selfless!

...how remarkably pedantic and dis-servicing they truly are....

Sorry for the rant.  I guess we're all idiots and don't understand that all rules have exceptions (with exceptions of course).

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2020, 12:20:25 PM »

This is a great point.  However, we are mustachians and one of those values is to try to figure out the systems, and its benefits and flaws and craft a life around that. 

I worked a crazy job for four years.  Then a slightly less crazy job after that.  Now I work 9-5:30 and my wife doesn't work.  I am still paid pretty well, because I have a lot of reasonably solid experience. 

You can use intense corporate jobs to your advantage.  Get in, make money, get out. 

One solution is that we shouldn't look up to people who work terrible jobs to make more money than any person possibly needs and then who frequently wreck the environment with their high-consumption lifestyles.  That's not a sustainable model for anyone.   

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2020, 08:20:05 PM »

You can use intense corporate jobs to your advantage.  Get in, make money, get out. 

Exactly, this is what I'm doing. Fortunately I like what I do so it is enjoyable, but even I can't do crazy hours over and over again. Once in a while is ok, that's the tradeoff for the relatively high pay.

The high pay is going to be hard to walk away from at some point. So I think I'll glide down by going 4 days a week, then 3.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2020, 06:46:41 AM »

Exactly, this is what I'm doing. Fortunately I like what I do so it is enjoyable, but even I can't do crazy hours over and over again. Once in a while is ok, that's the tradeoff for the relatively high pay.

The high pay is going to be hard to walk away from at some point. So I think I'll glide down by going 4 days a week, then 3.

It feels hard to walk away from because as humans we're heavily biased towards maintaining the status quo.

In my experience though, once you've walked away from it, not having that income very quickly becomes the new status quo.

The anticipation of losing a high income is a lot more intense than the actual reality.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2020, 07:03:47 AM »
The other thing is that once you've earned and consolidated a good reputation, you can use that rep to keep your fees high and your income solid with only "maintenance" work. It's the climbing of the mountain that's hard, not the staying on top.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2020, 07:31:33 AM »

It feels hard to walk away from because as humans we're heavily biased towards maintaining the status quo.

In my experience though, once you've walked away from it, not having that income very quickly becomes the new status quo.

The anticipation of losing a high income is a lot more intense than the actual reality.

For me, I went to the hospital with chest pains in the middle of the night at 29.  Luckily a false alarm but it scares the crap out of me.  I figured if I kept it up I'd be dead by 55.  It took a few months from that point to actually get out but psychologically that was the breaking point and my hours dropped from "impressive associate" to "under the bonus threshold" from that point on.

Blessing in disguise really. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2020, 10:30:27 AM »
One of my personal peeves is the Exception Martyr that seems to leap from the woodwork and brow beat the sane poster into submission with their holier-than-thou edge cases.

You see...that sane poster is really a terrible and heartless monster because they didn't explicitly take into account poor Timmy in Timbuktu who...you know...is an outlier...and doesn't deserve such callous treatment.

Apparently Exception Martyrs can't handle an argument that doesn't cover precisely 100% of situations.  If it isn't Black, it has to be White!

Aren't they saintly?!  Look how they are championing for the vast minority!  How noble! How selfless!

...how remarkably pedantic and dis-servicing they truly are....

Sorry for the rant.  I guess we're all idiots and don't understand that all rules have exceptions (with exceptions of course).

goes both ways.  There's a whole lot of gray out there, and so many people prefer black and white and talk like it.

utaca

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2020, 11:05:22 AM »

For me, I went to the hospital with chest pains in the middle of the night at 29.  Luckily a false alarm but it scares the crap out of me.  I figured if I kept it up I'd be dead by 55.  It took a few months from that point to actually get out but psychologically that was the breaking point and my hours dropped from "impressive associate" to "under the bonus threshold" from that point on.

Sounds like you're in law, where that inhuman grind is worn as a badge of pride (for some reason). I'm a firm believer in your strategy to get in, make money, get out and Covid-19 has only bolstered this. The garbage culture and expectations came across during a call with firm management early in the quarantine right after we'd all started working from home. The implicit (but almost explicit) message was you need to be working 12 - 14 hours a day right now because you're likely going to get Covid and then you won't be able to bill for a week or two.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2020, 01:33:48 PM »

Sounds like you're in law, where that inhuman grind is worn as a badge of pride (for some reason). I'm a firm believer in your strategy to get in, make money, get out and Covid-19 has only bolstered this. The garbage culture and expectations came across during a call with firm management early in the quarantine right after we'd all started working from home. The implicit (but almost explicit) message was you need to be working 12 - 14 hours a day right now because you're likely going to get Covid and then you won't be able to bill for a week or two.

Yep.  Memories.

I did one year nonprofit (a voluntary deferment during financial crisis), 4 year biglaw, 4 year "boutique" and now I am in-house (technically gov't but I do transactions and am paid well and so the feel is more like a corporate inhouse gig). 

I have no regrets about doing biglaw but also no regrets about leaving.  It does get better. 

Advice that I received and should have followed but didn't -- just aim for middle of the pack (particularly, try to be slightly above average in terms of quality and slightly below average in terms of hours).  That should keep you safe from layoffs but make it more tolerable, which actually might help you last longer and make more money and get access to better exit opportunities.  Trying to be a star in year two is pointless, it will burn you out and then embitter you when you realize nobody gives a shit anyways. 

I was a really good associate.  For a couple years running I was one of the top billing associates to our largest private equity fund client.  For which I received an extra $5k above market bonus about half the time and some pats on the back and some rich people who treated me like an ant got richer.  Yay.  I also was so fed up that by the end the last thing I wanted to do was go sign a partnership agreement and lock myself into a lifetime of grind.  If I could do it over again, I'd do what I did and pick the practice area I chose but just try to strategically phone it in a bit more where I could. 

Another thing I didn't really do but you should -- You can delay the delivery of an individual message or you can use rules to delay the delivery of all messages by having them held in the Outbox for a specified time after you click Send.  (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/delay-or-schedule-sending-email-messages-026af69f-c287-490a-a72f-6c65793744ba).  I would write up e-mails on a bunch of deals and then send them all when I left, so everyone on all 10 deals would see that I was working late and not bother me as much the next morning.  But I never went so far as to just straight up schedule shit to go out at crazy times.  But you can learn from my mistakes. 

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:40:10 PM by LWYRUP »

utaca

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2020, 08:33:10 AM »

Yep.  Memories.

I did one year nonprofit (a voluntary deferment during financial crisis), 4 year biglaw, 4 year "boutique" and now I am in-house (technically gov't but I do transactions and am paid well and so the feel is more like a corporate inhouse gig). 

I have no regrets about doing biglaw but also no regrets about leaving.  It does get better. 

Advice that I received and should have followed but didn't -- just aim for middle of the pack (particularly, try to be slightly above average in terms of quality and slightly below average in terms of hours).  That should keep you safe from layoffs but make it more tolerable, which actually might help you last longer and make more money and get access to better exit opportunities.  Trying to be a star in year two is pointless, it will burn you out and then embitter you when you realize nobody gives a shit anyways. 

I was a really good associate.  For a couple years running I was one of the top billing associates to our largest private equity fund client.  For which I received an extra $5k above market bonus about half the time and some pats on the back and some rich people who treated me like an ant got richer.  Yay.  I also was so fed up that by the end the last thing I wanted to do was go sign a partnership agreement and lock myself into a lifetime of grind.  If I could do it over again, I'd do what I did and pick the practice area I chose but just try to strategically phone it in a bit more where I could. 

Another thing I didn't really do but you should -- You can delay the delivery of an individual message or you can use rules to delay the delivery of all messages by having them held in the Outbox for a specified time after you click Send.  (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/delay-or-schedule-sending-email-messages-026af69f-c287-490a-a72f-6c65793744ba).  I would write up e-mails on a bunch of deals and then send them all when I left, so everyone on all 10 deals would see that I was working late and not bother me as much the next morning.  But I never went so far as to just straight up schedule shit to go out at crazy times.  But you can learn from my mistakes.

Thanks for the reply - your insights are interesting and helpful. A few friends have embraced the middle-of-the-pack mentality with significant benefits to mental health. Ultimately, I too think I'm on the path to in-house, or potentially government, work for a variety of reasons (work-life balance primarily but I also seek more a of teamwork type of environment) - unless I can grind it out for a few more years and get to FI first!

The bolded part of your reply really stands out to me. As stressful as worklife is for an associate, most of the partners I work with (and partners at similar firms) work longer hours on more stressful matters. What's that adage: it's a shit eating contest where the winner gets to eat more shit.

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2020, 10:10:59 AM »

Yep.  Memories.

Thanks for the reply - your insights are interesting and helpful. A few friends have embraced the middle-of-the-pack mentality with significant benefits to mental health. Ultimately, I too think I'm on the path to in-house, or potentially government, work for a variety of reasons (work-life balance primarily but I also seek more a of teamwork type of environment) - unless I can grind it out for a few more years and get to FI first!

The bolded part of your reply really stands out to me. As stressful as worklife is for an associate, most of the partners I work with (and partners at similar firms) work longer hours on more stressful matters. What's that adage: it's a shit eating contest where the winner gets to eat more shit.

I'm an associate in a big regional law firm in Canada, and the same dynamic applies. Why grind it out to become partner, when the reward is more stress and more hours? I, too, aim for the middle of the pack: doing high quality work in less hours than most of my colleagues. I also have a unique skillset that tends to draw in interesting work that many other associates don't want to do or aren't as good at, which protects me from layoffs.

Now that I'm reaching the "mid-level" associate range, though, people may start noticing that I'm not doing the things that people do when they are gunning for the partnership. I'm not sure whether I'll stay in private practice and grind it out until I reach FI in 5-7 years, or move to in-house or government work which might be less stressful but slow down my path. My real life goal is to write fiction, but I'm too much of a realist to expect I'll be able to earn much doing that, especially from my first novel.

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2020, 04:27:17 PM »
“Nobody ever had a good idea after 5:00 PM”.  George C Marshall