Author Topic: Inheritance Drama: You Got Any? Stories Wanted.  (Read 836516 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Inheritance Drama: You Got Any? Stories Wanted.
« Reply #2100 on: April 01, 2020, 11:12:49 PM »
@Goldielocks, were the daughters paying rent? Honestly, I wouldn't even try to resolve it before this pandemic ends.

It's waited this long, it can wait a little longer. She should prioritize getting her husband's POA, Advance Directive, etc. together first. Then she can tackle the estate. Whatever it's going to be has already happened, rushing now isn't likely to change much.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2101 on: April 02, 2020, 12:27:17 AM »
@Goldielocks, were the daughters paying rent? Honestly, I wouldn't even try to resolve it before this pandemic ends.

It's waited this long, it can wait a little longer. She should prioritize getting her husband's POA, Advance Directive, etc. together first. Then she can tackle the estate. Whatever it's going to be has already happened, rushing now isn't likely to change much.

No, the daughters were not paying rent, only the internet bill and their own cell phones / transportation.   I think it started with them moving in while they finished university and dad never changed the terms.  They are good daughters, not freeloaders and will help the mom sort through all the things left behind at the condo and help get it ready for sale now.

You are correct about priorities.  But she has now completed the POA and advance directive and the will, just needs one daughter to go and sign something about joint account / POA at the bank.  (The large account POA was set up to require 2 signatures). 

So this is the next step -- at least to get the probate request documents in, so she can sit and wait for the 4months to 1 year for it to be processed.

After that, she is continuing to sort out all the bank accounts / pensions / other accounts between her and her husband,  She keeps finding ones that she missed, or finding that he forgot to apply for one of his pensions when he retired and he is now 75, etc.  Alzheimers.  It's a mess.  At least in addition to extra paperwork and legal stuff, she keeps finding more accounts with money in them.

Finances_With_Purpose

• Pencil Stache
    • Finances With Purpose: deploying resources wisely to live vigorously
« Reply #2102 on: April 13, 2020, 06:17:36 PM »

No, the daughters were not paying rent, only the internet bill and their own cell phones / transportation.   I think it started with them moving in while they finished university and dad never changed the terms.  They are good daughters, not freeloaders and will help the mom sort through all the things left behind at the condo and help get it ready for sale now.

You are correct about priorities.  But she has now completed the POA and advance directive and the will, just needs one daughter to go and sign something about joint account / POA at the bank.  (The large account POA was set up to require 2 signatures). 

So this is the next step -- at least to get the probate request documents in, so she can sit and wait for the 4months to 1 year for it to be processed.

After that, she is continuing to sort out all the bank accounts / pensions / other accounts between her and her husband,  She keeps finding ones that she missed, or finding that he forgot to apply for one of his pensions when he retired and he is now 75, etc.  Alzheimers.  It's a mess.  At least in addition to extra paperwork and legal stuff, she keeps finding more accounts with money in them.

@Goldielocks: I'm sorry about the situation.  Here's a tip: order the past tax transcripts.  She can order theirs, most likely, and that should show which accounts they paid taxes on in years before this problem.  That can probably be done even during the pandemic to help straighten things out.

See this post for reference: https://wealthyaccountant.com/2017/08/16/forensic-accounting-the-high-paying-part-time-business/  Keith is spot on about finding accounts.  Or you can hire that work out. 

In addition, once she probates a will for MIL, she can likely order a tax transcript for MIL, too, to see if there are unclaimed accounts/assets as well.  But that may be easier after all of this; I don't know.  It may be more complicated since the husband is living but mentally incompetent; that may require additional legal proceedings/costs. 

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #2103 on: April 16, 2020, 05:32:55 AM »
and that she finds some of the missing records, and finds someone who reads German to help her... during Covid.

I'm based in Germany and know a number of German -> English freelance translators. You could DM me and I could maybe connect them with someone.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #2104 on: April 16, 2020, 08:18:37 AM »
and that she finds some of the missing records, and finds someone who reads German to help her... during Covid.

I'm based in Germany and know a number of German -> English freelance translators. You could DM me and I could maybe connect them with someone.

Could a video chat or phone based option be realistic? As long as the person being read to can hear well or read lips, and the person on the other end can see the document, is it vital for the person doing the reading to be in the same room?

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #2105 on: April 17, 2020, 12:26:36 AM »

Could a video chat or phone based option be realistic? As long as the person being read to can hear well or read lips, and the person on the other end can see the document, is it vital for the person doing the reading to be in the same room?

I think just sending the documents for translation would be the most straight forward way, also because the pronunciation differences between English and German can make it really difficult to understand if it's being phonetically read aloud. If it needs to be a certified translation I think they have to see the document but I don't think they have to be in the same room.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2106 on: April 17, 2020, 01:17:16 PM »

I know a few german speaking people in my area, too.  I think she wants to try this with her husband's (diminishing) help, and has a lot of privacy needs and feels to be worked through first.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2107 on: April 20, 2020, 02:51:03 PM »
Spoiler alert.

If this epidemic is still too close to you emotionally, you probably shouldn't open the spoiler.   It's very dark humor.   

On the other hand, if your social maturity peaked at "10 year old boy child raised by wolves" level (like my darling wife thinks mine did) or gallows humor helps you cope (also guilty), then this just might make you laugh.

You have been warned. 

PS -- If for some reason you feel obliged to copy this, get the darn spoiler tags right and use the preview button to verify you did it right before you post.

Spoiler: show

Anyone have some relatives who won't take the social distancing instructions seriously?   Go to protests and stand in close proximity to other folks and don't wear masks, etc.?

Start practicing your writing skills for the upcoming inheritance drama stories coming your way!   Pictures and obituaries or it didn't happen!   Bonus points for completed and submitted Darwin Award nominations!

Enquiring minds want to know!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2108 on: April 21, 2020, 05:39:18 AM »
Lol. I'm a dark/gallows humor fan. I also have plenty of popcorn...and patience, though I suspect there won't be much need to draw on the latter...

SheWhoWalksAtLunch

• Bristles
« Reply #2109 on: April 21, 2020, 07:22:46 AM »
Lol. I'm a dark/gallows humor fan. I also have plenty of popcorn...and patience, though I suspect there won't be much need to draw on the latter...

+1 
My sister and I, plus two cousins I like, have not-quite, but-almost started a betting pool...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 07:25:02 AM by SheWhoWalksAtLunch »

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #2110 on: April 21, 2020, 01:14:36 PM »

Same here.

DH and I aren't taking bets....yet.  But there has been discussion on who in the family will finally flout the social distancing rules (if they haven't already) because, you know, it's all a hoax.