Author Topic: In The Mail Today  (Read 5882 times)

dblaace

• Bristles
In The Mail Today
« on: June 11, 2019, 11:25:10 AM »
Amazon wants to buy back my Kindle Fire.

Ram dealer wants to buy my van.

Home investor wants to buy my house.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: In The Mail Today
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 07:37:01 AM »
About six different companies want to save me money! All I need to do is fill out that card and mail it back or call them. Operators are available 24/7...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 08:01:17 AM »
I received a glossy paper pamphlet at my front door,  another on my front walk way, another on my car, and one more on my garage door telling me to SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT!!!  It appears to be a company that resells clothing and wants me to donate old clothing to them.  The irony of producing so much useless waste in order to SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT was rather poignant though.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 09:16:45 PM »
I received a glossy paper pamphlet at my front door,  another on my front walk way, another on my car, and one more on my garage door telling me to SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT!!!  It appears to be a company that resells clothing and wants me to donate old clothing to them.  The irony of producing so much useless waste in order to SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT was rather poignant though.

Maybe if you donate, they’ll stop leaving their pamphlets. It may be the only way to SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

Notch

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 11:20:19 PM »

Is this so they can rent it back to you?

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 01:18:30 AM »

I've been getting lots of adds for the "buy share of my home" thing.  Sound interesting.  Basically they get a large cut of your potential home gains and you get an interest free loan of your equity in the house (that you can do whatever with).  If your house gains nothing, you never owe any extra.  If it drops, you actually pay them back less than what they gave you.  However, if it gains they'll take like 25% of the gains.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 12:53:29 PM »

I've been getting lots of adds for the "buy share of my home" thing.  Sound interesting.  Basically they get a large cut of your potential home gains and you get an interest free loan of your equity in the house (that you can do whatever with).  If your house gains nothing, you never owe any extra.  If it drops, you actually pay them back less than what they gave you.  However, if it gains they'll take like 25% of the gains.

Huh. I wonder how that looks compared to the market. Obviously they think it'll work out for them.

How are repairs and improvements done? Do they have any say?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 08:07:26 PM »

Made me laugh at our recent elections to see Greens candidates handing out so much paper with their how-to-vote cards.

That Party has never struck me as one with a sense of humour/irony.

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 07:47:50 AM »

Made me laugh at our recent elections to see Greens candidates handing out so much paper with their how-to-vote cards.

Could have been recycled paper.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 02:12:54 PM »

Generally, paper isn't all that bad for the environment.  It composts and biodegrades pretty easily  . . . unless it's the glossy kind.

HMman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Think of your local tree farmer: print this post
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 07:39:45 AM »

Generally, paper isn't all that bad for the environment.  It composts and biodegrades pretty easily  . . . unless it's the glossy kind.

Plus, to my understanding, paper is a net carbon sink, as trees are commercially grown and forests are specifically managed for paper production. Perhaps they're doing their part to combat ocean acidification?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 03:49:57 AM »

Plus, to my understanding, paper is a net carbon sink, as trees are commercially grown and forests are specifically managed for paper production. Perhaps they're doing their part to combat ocean acidification?

I don't believe you guys. Even if it were biodegradable, and even if it were part of a managed forest, it still costs resources to cut down the tree, pulp it, turn it into paper, cart that paper around the country etc etc.

Why not just leave the existing tree in place and plant another? Surely that is better?

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 11:31:08 AM »
I think the point is to consider is that it's relative: normal paper is better than glossy paper which is better than one-time-use plastic utensils which is better than ___, etc.
I have been trying to find cradle to grave analyses on different materials and manufacturing processes but I'm not having much luck. Anyone have any CtG resources?

Still seems like the Reduce-Reuse-Recycle trifecta is the best summary of how to have a low impact:
1) Reduce is the best - don't make it/buy it in the first place
2) Then Reuse - if you want something, use something that's already been made: raw materials are already collected, manufacturing waste is already created, all the mfg energy is already used. Only thing left is for it to decompose so might as well use it until that happens.
3) Recycle if you can - at least it's better than throwing it in the dump but it doesn't do much to counteract all the energy and resources that went into creating it in the first place.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 02:56:54 PM »

I don't believe you guys. Even if it were biodegradable, and even if it were part of a managed forest, it still costs resources to cut down the tree, pulp it, turn it into paper, cart that paper around the country etc etc.

Why not just leave the existing tree in place and plant another? Surely that is better?

Yes, resources are used to make paper.  It's certainly not zero waste.  I'm not sure how effective planting a tree would really be in a political campaign though.

I guess to get a real understanding of this issue you would have to balance the waste and environmental damage caused by the paper vs the chance that the paper will get a Green Party member elected, then the net ecological change of electing a Green Party member vs their opponent.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 02:39:14 AM »

Yes, resources are used to make paper.  It's certainly not zero waste.  I'm not sure how effective planting a tree would really be in a political campaign though.

I guess to get a real understanding of this issue you would have to balance the waste and environmental damage caused by the paper vs the chance that the paper will get a Green Party member elected, then the net ecological change of electing a Green Party member vs their opponent.

Well one thing is 100% certain. The elected Greens have catastrophically failed to achieve any benefit to the environment at all in Australia in recent years.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 07:16:12 AM »

Well one thing is 100% certain. The elected Greens have catastrophically failed to achieve any benefit to the environment at all in Australia in recent years.

What issues in particular have caused you concern?

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2019, 09:23:30 PM »
I was visiting my grand parents a couple weeks ago and they were opening mail after being on vacation for a month. They also donate to charities regularly and receive a lot of requests for additional donations.

I was stunned to find out they received several letters from several charities which contained actual money! Anywhere from a nickel up to a dollar just in the letter! The letters would say something like, “we sent you this dollar in good faith that you would return it to us along with your donation”

The kicker? They also had several letters that went something like, “we trusted you when we sent you 50 cents last month, and are disappointed to learn you did not return the money that belongs to the charity”

They said this has been going on for years... they are sending them cash, weekly, for years!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2019, 02:01:48 AM »
I was visiting my grand parents a couple weeks ago and they were opening mail after being on vacation for a month. They also donate to charities regularly and receive a lot of requests for additional donations.

I was stunned to find out they received several letters from several charities which contained actual money! Anywhere from a nickel up to a dollar just in the letter! The letters would say something like, “we sent you this dollar in good faith that you would return it to us along with your donation”

The kicker? They also had several letters that went something like, “we trusted you when we sent you 50 cents last month, and are disappointed to learn you did not return the money that belongs to the charity”

They said this has been going on for years... they are sending them cash, weekly, for years!
This is sadly, far more common than most folks realize. We sorted through thousands of pieces for an elderly friend a couple of years ago and it continues unabated, despite utilizing every prepaid envelope to submit a "Please Remove Me" demand (we used red Sharpies and lots of exclamation points). Besides actual cash, they send postage stamps, snd worthless crap masquerading as "free gifts". The worst are the ones that look like bills. There's a special place in hell for these shysters. I hope it's right next to the telemarketers.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 03:26:37 AM »

What issues in particular have caused you concern?
It isn’t the issues.

The Greens are why Australia does not have an Emissions Trading Scheme, amongst other things. They voted against it on multiple occasions (with the conservative parties) because it didn’t go far enough.

The last election was supposed to be won by the left. The shenanigans of the Greens could have been part of why the right somehow won.

They are a rabble who happen to achieve exactly the opposite of what they espouse. EVERY TIME. It would make extremely funny comedy if it wasn’t so disastrous.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 12:05:09 AM »
I like the Greens. I'm a Liberal voter, but if a left party had to win, I'd much prefer the Greens to do it. Then everyone would feel the financial cost of saving the environment - not just the rich. Whereas, under Labor, the comfy middle class escapes any and all repercussions, and they get tax cuts to boot (no one earning under $100k in this country needs a tax cut. They pay barely any tax to begin with.)

Anyway, when I get unwanted mail with a reply paid envelope I use it to send a "stop sending me mail" message weighted with some rubbish.