Author Topic: In a local newspaper...  (Read 3248 times)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
In a local newspaper...
« on: January 12, 2013, 10:37:56 AM »
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/retirement-rrsps/portrait-of-a-woman-who-owes-too-much/article7236147/

Over $100,000 in debt, spending $1000/month more than she makes, and asking for advice, yet unwilling to stop spending $400/month on food for one, hundreds on entertainment and eating out, and various other unbelievable crap.

I actually quite like the column and read it fairly often - they have a really wide variety of households profiled, singles, couples, families, all income levels, all types of financial goals. This one takes the cake for antimustachian, though.

Richard3

• Bristles
Re: In a local newspaper...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
If she stays with the same employer for the next 31 years, she will retire with a defined benefit pension plan that will pay her $49,000 a year.

They send you here for life, that's exactly what they take. The part that counts anyways.

MustacheMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
I like that section, too....sometimes. For me, reading the stories of the undisciplined and uninspired feels as if I'm watching the Jersey Shore rather than learning.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:41:03 AM »
She's screwed.   31 more years for her pension?   Most social workers burn out quickly.  My wife was one  for about 4 years.   She later did records filing for the RCMP where she had to read files and saw the worst details and pictures of the most awful things the police investing.    The filing job was way less painful and damaging for her then the social work.