Author Topic: If You Have Savings In Your 20s, You’re Doing Something Wrong  (Read 31205 times)

Mannerheim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: If You Have Savings In Your 20s, You’re Doing Something Wrong
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2015, 12:22:58 PM »
MMM went way too easy on this worthless clickbait article in his post. I thought the name Lauren Martin was familiar, and sure enough a few months ago she astonished the internet with the equally tragic/hilarious "50 things about millennials that make corporate America sh#t itself", which was possibly the the most concentrated dose of millennial narcissism/solipsism/cluelessness on the entire web (no small achievement). Nice to see that she has now brought the intellectual rigor of a hack listicle writer to personal finance and frugality.

The funniest thing about the article is that it's a transparent rationalization for the author's own lifestyle mistakes (a sort of corollary to Steve Sailer's Law of Female Journalism). I guarantee Lauren is poorly paid and easily replaceable. By her own admission she's broke, and she's probably also deep in debt. She's vaguely aware that these are problems but can't allow herself to introspect about the poor choices that created them, because that would cost her psychic pain even as it led to personal growth. Instead she wrote this article to encourage people to pat her on the head on social media, which gives her a momentary dopamine boost even as she sinks deeper into the swamp. I shudder to think what her life will be like when she's 45, or even 35.

As for the actual content of what she wrote, the most anti-mustachian thing about it has got to be the striverishness. It's the same old blind worship of the Sex & The City NYC ultra-consumption lifestyle. Trendy bars, taxicabs, exotic foreign travel, etc. etc. We've heard it all before and it is BORING. I would also gladly kill myself rather than listen to another Millennial "entrepreneur" pimping his burgeoning online media empire (i.e. glorified blog) or worthless iPhone app, cranking the Tim Ferriss used-car salesman sleaze up to 11. I have infinitely more respect for a 20-something woman who quits her job to start a family (like the MMM clan did) than one who pisses her prime years away polluting the internet with sub-Buzzfeed level prose.

Mustachianism isn't really about superficial life changes like cutting out your morning latte or getting a cheaper phone plan. It's about thinking carefully about your values so that you direct your time, effort, and money towards what is truly worthwhile rather than just doing what the media/your parents/your friends want you to do. It's also frequently about having the courage and confidence to stand in opposition to the prevailing culture, which happens to be a Clown Culture of selfishness, conspicuous hyper-consumption, and debt slavery. And it's also about humility, and rejecting the idea that we are somehow too fancypants for a materially modest lifestyle of living in a normal house in a non-elite city, wearing normal clothes, cooking our own food, etc. For the Lauren Martins of the world this last step is by far the hardest, but once over that hurdle a huge new vista of useful and joyful activity opens up, and it finally becomes possible to see what shameful empty strivers these absurd NYC tranplants are.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2015, 12:51:41 PM »
An Fyi to those who might not be signed up for automatic updates - MMM himself has just written a blog post in response to this article. Check it out.

And it's proof that MMM does read this forum.
a) no its not. if you actually read the article he mentions seeing it on Facebook and being alerted to it.
b) why the hell would you care if he reads the forum? Would it make a difference to you? I mean really make a difference to you?

seems an odd comment to make.

a) I missed that reference.

b) It doesn't really.  Are you always so hostile to people you don't know? Your choice of username implies the answer is yes.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »

The funniest thing about the article is that it's a transparent rationalization for the author's own lifestyle mistakes (a sort of corollary to Steve Sailer's Law of Female Journalism). I guarantee Lauren is poorly paid and easily replaceable. By her own admission she's broke, and she's probably also deep in debt. She's vaguely aware that these are problems but can't allow herself to introspect about the poor choices that created them, because that would cost her psychic pain even as it led to personal growth. Instead she wrote this article to encourage people to pat her on the head on social media, which gives her a momentary dopamine boost even as she sinks deeper into the swamp. I shudder to think what her life will be like when she's 45, or even 35.

Or maybe she wanted a lot of clicks, and knew how to get them. Her article got a lot of attention, so her job is done.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »

Or maybe she wanted a lot of clicks, and knew how to get them. Her article got a lot of attention, so her job is done.

Yeah, I sometimes wonder how many of these writers just create idiotic personas to say outrageous things in order to generate maximum clicks.  I mean, I can think of any number of radio and cable TV personalities who are such complete monsters that I can only believe that they at least started out as creating an over-the-top persona to attract more viewers.  I personally couldn't do it -- I would hate for people to think I was that stupid or crazy -- but if I really, really wanted money or fame and didn't care about my integrity, it would be one of the easiest ways to reach my goals.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2015, 02:03:17 PM »
Or maybe she wanted a lot of clicks, and knew how to get them.
Total tangent, and immature to boot, but "cl" looks so much like "d" when you have blurry vision... bahaha

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2015, 02:03:32 PM »

Yeah, I sometimes wonder how many of these writers just create idiotic personas to say outrageous things in order to generate maximum clicks.  I mean, I can think of any number of radio and cable TV personalities who are such complete monsters that I can only believe that they at least started out as creating an over-the-top persona to attract more viewers.  I personally couldn't do it -- I would hate for people to think I was that stupid or crazy -- but if I really, really wanted money or fame and didn't care about my integrity, it would be one of the easiest ways to reach my goals.

A few fashion brands invent an ideal client (her age, name, job, relationship status) to cater to her supposed needs, reaching in this way a lot of consumers which have the same lifestyle as their hypotetical client. I guess it's not the only industry using this trick.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2015, 02:05:24 PM »
Or maybe she wanted a lot of clicks, and knew how to get them.
Total tangent, and immature to boot, but "cl" looks so much like "d" when you have blurry vision... bahaha

Dude, put down that beer, it's just 16h!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2015, 02:06:53 PM »
If it were 16h I wouldn't have my face in the screen! Central time... *sigh*

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2015, 02:51:16 PM »

b) It doesn't really.  Are you always so hostile to people you don't know? Your choice of username implies the answer is yes.

I'm a really tolerent person but sometimes the amount of stupid shit on the internet gets too much for me and I just type what I think.
You were todays lucky recipient. Please redeem your ticket in the "don't give a flying fuck" cafe.

MOD NOTE: As per forum rules, please keep comments to other members respectful, or you know, don't say anything at all
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:58:20 PM by swick »

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2015, 12:33:23 PM »
I think this girl is probably trolling millions of people lol.

nazar

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2015, 06:06:17 AM »
As for the actual content of what she wrote, the most anti-mustachian thing about it has got to be the striverishness. It's the same old blind worship of the Sex & The City NYC ultra-consumption lifestyle.

At least Carrie Bradshaw had a moment of realization when she needed money and realized her only assets were shoes and clothes.  She got her face punch and so will this one eventually.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2015, 06:28:47 AM »
worthless clickbait article ...equally tragic/hilarious ...possibly the the most concentrated dose of millennial narcissism/solipsism/cluelessness on the entire web (no small achievement). Nice to see that she has now brought the intellectual rigor of a hack listicle writer to personal finance and frugality.
If you haven't considered writing epitaphs as a side hustle, please do. Your descriptions are hilarious and true! 

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2015, 07:17:45 AM »
At least Carrie Bradshaw had a moment of realization when she needed money and realized her only assets were shoes and clothes. She got her face punch and so will this one eventually.

oooo, so that's how she got so ugly?

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2015, 10:24:16 AM »
As for the actual content of what she wrote, the most anti-mustachian thing about it has got to be the striverishness. It's the same old blind worship of the Sex & The City NYC ultra-consumption lifestyle.

At least Carrie Bradshaw had a moment of realization when she needed money and realized her only assets were shoes and clothes.  She got her face punch and so will this one eventually.

She married a rich man