Author Topic: If you ever needed a better reason to cut the cable...  (Read 11398 times)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
If you ever needed a better reason to cut the cable...
« on: October 05, 2015, 12:13:02 PM »
""Following word that 20th Century Fox Television is rebooting "The A-Team," CBS is bringing MacGyver back to the small screen, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Fox also on Friday announced that it was rebooting "Lethal Weapon" for TV.

Fox is readying "Behind Enemy Lines"; "Training Day" is in the works at CBS; The CW is prepping "The Notebook" and "Friday the 13th"; and studio 20th Century Fox Television is shopping a reboot of "The A-Team," while Norman Lear is rebooting "One Day at a Time," though there is no network yet attached. For its part, Fox has revivals of "The X-Files" and "Prison Break" in the works after recently rebooting "24."

This season's reboots and revivals have debuted to mixed reactions. Fox's "Minority Report" has faltered in its early episodes; NBC's "Heroes" had a modest debut, while and CBS has found early success with Bradley Cooper's "Limitless" follow-up. Additional revival series based on "Rush Hour" (CBS) and "Uncle Buck" (ABC) are due later this season."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/04/entertainment/new-macgyver-for-tv-show-thr-feat/index.html

LoneWolfstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The Dream is Reality...reality is the dream
Re: If you ever needed a better reason to cut the cable...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 12:23:29 PM »
That's like 11 good reasons to not have cable in first place

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 12:25:22 PM »
All on broadcast networks -- so even most "cable cutters" can still watch the recycled material.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 12:38:39 PM »
Yeah good point. Where I live we are far enough from the "big city" that it still takes subscription TV to watch OTA TV. That's why I still mentioned cutting the cable.

We could do it with a roof antenna I suppose but those things scream "lightning rod" to me. ;)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 08:52:27 PM »
Well if they are planning to also charge 1980s rates for the shows I might reconnect

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 06:48:33 AM »
A new MacGyver?! You might have just convinced me to get cable again:P That dude built everything, he was totally mustachian! Except I think he drove a jeep, probably bought off craigslist though. And I bet he does all the service himself

Actually the A-team as well. Four dudes all living in an old van, building things. Totally makers/mustachians. Before those were terms.

The networks are reusing things they already own, rather than buying new ones. They're just trying to be sustainable..

Lady Fordragon

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 01:17:47 PM »
Yeah good point. Where I live we are far enough from the "big city" that it still takes subscription TV to watch OTA TV. That's why I still mentioned cutting the cable.

We could do it with a roof antenna I suppose but those things scream "lightning rod" to me. ;)

If you have an attic space, you can put an antenna up there.  My husband actually built one for our house by looking online for instructions on DIY antennas.  Most of the materials needed to make one were items that my husband already had.  The only thing that he ended up buying was a transformer that converted the received signal to a coaxial cable.  Overall, the antenna works great!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 01:23:35 PM »
A new MacGyver?! You might have just convinced me to get cable again:P That dude built everything, he was totally mustachian! Except I think he drove a jeep, probably bought off craigslist though. And I bet he does all the service himself

The original MacGyver is on Netflix.  It's so cringe-worthy though.  I only made it through the first two or three episodes.  It's not even "good bad" in my eyes, just "bad bad".  It did not age well.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 01:27:28 PM »
No, MacGayver didn't drive a jeep. At least not in the episode that my roommate watched yesterday. It was a huge, ugly old yellow pickup truck.

And she's insanely excited about the reboot... please save me.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 03:28:22 PM »
As a mustachian, you're only allowed to watch MacGyver if you build your own tv antenna out of clothes hangers, tin foil, and a jack knife.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 03:48:59 PM »
No, MacGayver didn't drive a jeep. At least not in the episode that my roommate watched yesterday. It was a huge, ugly old yellow pickup truck.

And she's insanely excited about the reboot... please save me.
That was a later episode.  He drove a couple different Jeeps before he inherited his grandfather Harry's truck.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 07:20:18 AM »
For a moment there, I was getting my hopes up for a Friday the 13th  television show reboot, since the TV  show had nothing to do with the money. ( cursed  objects, anyone remember?)

ANY new "anthology horror/suspense" would be amazing, but I guess it's back to finding old episodes of the Hitchhiker on YouTube.

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 07:48:08 AM »
As a mustachian, you're only allowed to watch MacGyver if you build your own tv antenna out of clothes hangers, tin foil, and a jack knife.

Perfect.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 10:43:21 AM »
So it will be more TV shows ze evvil vife vill demand I record via my HTPC-Antenna-Tuner card setup. And then she'll watch them, albeit stripped of commercials. Which will take away from her productive tasks such as grocery shopping, gym, cooking, laundry. Damn!
For every series she wants me to record, she needs to accept a new weekly task. I'll have to fire the bi-weekly cleaner and lawn chap.
Time to crack that long-forgotten whip, hombre!
/medieval mode

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 11:16:24 AM »
I have avoided re-watching many old shows out of fear that they would not have aged well, LOVED the x-files back in the day but am scared to look it up netflix.  Star Trek TNG aged ok, it got in to that "bad-good" area, but Star Trek Deep Space 9 is now just "bad-bad".

The A-Team movie was ok a few years back, solid mindless action flick.  But I would not have much hope for a new tv show.

After moving two months ago I have yet to bother setting up the TV or getting a streaming device (roku/apple tv/etc), have not even watched anything on the computer, just no time to waste, way to much to be worked on and unpacked. 

After you stop watching cable/broadcast TV it starts looking really dumb when you do see it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 12:26:16 PM »
X-Files still holds up reasonably well.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 04:51:20 PM »
A show they should reboot is Muppet Babies, I thoroughly enjoyed that cartoon as a child, they need to bring it back.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 05:31:33 PM »
A show they should reboot is Muppet Babies, I thoroughly enjoyed that cartoon as a child, they need to bring it back.
They have probably grown up by now - who wants to watch a show about a bunch of whining hipster 20-somethings hanging around in a coffee shop and complaining about relationships.
In a few years though we could have a muppet grandchildren reboot.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 05:42:36 PM »
They have probably grown up by now - who wants to watch a show about a bunch of whining hipster 20-somethings hanging around in a coffee shop and complaining about relationships.

Sorry man but the Muppet Babies would be like early to mid 30's now.  But like the OG's kids could do the spin off.

Might have to find a TV and look up the x-files, geo-bacheloring the long weekend!

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 06:37:26 PM »
I pity the fool who gets cable to watch these re-boots.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »
I have avoided re-watching many old shows out of fear that they would not have aged well, LOVED the x-files back in the day but am scared to look it up netflix.  Star Trek TNG aged ok, it got in to that "bad-good" area, but Star Trek Deep Space 9 is now just "bad-bad".
Even as a kid I thought DS9 was bad-bad. Liked all the other incarnations.
After you stop watching cable/broadcast TV it starts looking really dumb when you do see it.
True story. Makes you realize the power of conditioning. Commercials? Holy fuck.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 12:28:57 AM »
""Following word that 20th Century Fox Television is rebooting "The A-Team," CBS is bringing MacGyver back to the small screen, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Fox also on Friday announced that it was rebooting "Lethal Weapon" for TV.

<snip>

Ahhh, Hollywood, America's Greenest Industry.  Where 93% of the plots are recycled.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 10:33:26 AM »

That's been my experience. Somehow the older shows I can handle easier b/c I don't try to take them as seriously as recent TV.

Am having trouble emphasizing with the danger to a main character when in the real world tens of thousands of people are dying in real wars around the world. Its a personal problem. ;)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 10:38:05 AM »
True story. Makes you realize the power of conditioning. Commercials? Holy fuck.

Commercials!!! The longer I am away from broadcast TV the less I can stand to endure them when I am watching broadcast TV. ;)

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 12:28:34 PM »
So it will be more TV shows ze evvil vife vill demand I record via my HTPC-Antenna-Tuner card setup. And then she'll watch them, albeit stripped of commercials. Which will take away from her productive tasks such as grocery shopping, gym, cooking, laundry. Damn!
For every series she wants me to record, she needs to accept a new weekly task. I'll have to fire the bi-weekly cleaner and lawn chap.
Time to crack that long-forgotten whip, hombre!
/medieval mode

Or she could just take her tablet with her when she works around the house. I watch a lot of Hulu and YouTube that way.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 08:54:48 AM »
Wasn't the name of that show "Friends?" LOL

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 11:40:42 AM »
I found myself watching "Duck Dynasty" in fascination and that was when I decided to cut my cable.  "What is this shit doing to my brain?"

The next day when I called the company:

Me:  "I'd like to cancel my cable."
Cable Operator:  "Ok, sir, can I ask why?"
Me:  "TV has gotten too stupid for me.  ...Shows on there like 'Honey BooBoo', 'Real Housewives', 'Jersey Shore', and now 'Duck Dynasty.'  Can't believe I'm paying for that."
Cable Operator:  "I agree.  They're really stupid.  Hang on while I finalize your cancellation."

I howled in laughter over after that phone call!  Isn't the cable-operator-girl supposed to try and convince me to stay with them rather than agree it's not worth it?  WTF?  :D

Bea_Minus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 11:54:33 AM »
We've been using an HD antenna for several months now, and get all major broadcast channels, plus sub-channels that have old TV shows and movies.  Plenty to view, especially with a Netflix subscription.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 12:13:48 PM »
I found myself watching "Duck Dynasty" in fascination and that was when I decided to cut my cable.  "What is this shit doing to my brain?"

Me:  "TV has gotten too stupid for me.  ...Shows on there like 'Honey BooBoo', 'Real Housewives', 'Jersey Shore', and now 'Duck Dynasty.'  Can't believe I'm paying for that."
Cable Operator:  "I agree.  They're really stupid.  Hang on while I finalize your cancellation."

I howled in laughter over after that phone call!  Isn't the cable-operator-girl supposed to try and convince me to stay with them rather than agree it's not worth it?  WTF?  :D

Few years ago I went to sign back up for cable after being internet only for years (did not want to but life 'made me') and was quoted like 80$/mon I about did a spit take and told the costumer service lady that was a ton of money her response "yeah it is a lot of money".  Then she made no effort to sell me on its value or how it was worth the high price.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 12:20:04 PM »
Even as a kid I thought DS9 was bad-bad. Liked all the other incarnations.

Hey, what's wrong with DS9? I re-watched it on Netflix relatively recently, and I think it's still good...

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2015, 12:26:34 PM »
I went to get teh transformer thinggy to make an antenna about 2 months ago, and found a solid HD until for $25 at the local TV/Ham Radio/CB Radio/electronics place. I figured the time and frustration was worth the difference to me so I snagged it. We are about 43 km from the CN tower, but have an excellent line of sight on it. Buffalo is across Lk Ontario about 110 km. I get 21 channels via HD Antenna, including 2 in french and 3 multicultural channels. nearly half of the channels are from Buffalo.

Even free, many of the channels are too expensive, but I like getting CTV, CBC, TVO, PBS, and a few of the movie channels aren't bad. Last night I tuned the TV to the classical music channel and let it put me to sleep.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2015, 02:28:11 PM »

Few years ago I went to sign back up for cable after being internet only for years (did not want to but life 'made me') and was quoted like 80$/mon I about did a spit take and told the costumer service lady that was a ton of money her response "yeah it is a lot of money".  Then she made no effort to sell me on its value or how it was worth the high price.

Probably the cable company isn't providing customer retention bonuses to the CS agents. Also, some of the CS ladies are single moms making just above minimum wage, they might not have cable too, working 2+ jobs. Many of them are very nice and courteous while their employers exude evil. Just speaking from having worked with some of them.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2015, 01:05:36 AM »
Jack,  100%  agreement. I loved how  Kira Nerys was the first  character  since Spock to balance her faith with Federation goals.

MacGyverIt

• Bristles
  • Location: Not in a tropical, underpopulated location. And that's just wrong.
  • What Would MacGyver Do?
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2015, 02:59:26 PM »

Right on.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 04:00:06 PM »

Right on.

He bought his car? I expected him to have built it completely from scratch! Or at the least, found a discarded car and then managed to get it working using only things he found on his person and then kept it.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 07:53:42 AM »
I love the Direct TV people at Costco. They promise to save me money. When they ask what kind of package I have for television I tell them that I have an antenna, so my bill is zero. I usually respond with a quick follow-up question, "So how are you going to save me money? I am really interested." They usually laugh it off and don't answer my question and just ignore me. Then they don't bother me anymore.