Author Topic: Idiot Lottery Winners  (Read 9189 times)

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
Idiot Lottery Winners
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »
Another great cracked.com article with 6 stories of lottery winners. Enjoy!
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-undeserving-lottery-winners-in-history/

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Idiot Lottery Winners
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:20:49 AM »
It's really hard to imagine that people who are so horrible at math that they decide to play the lottery, can't manage the money they win.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:00:42 AM »
I disagree with #4, those students were just the only people in history to realize that it was a wise investment.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 01:42:45 PM »
Except the part where they got people selling the tickets to break the rules, letting the students operate the machines themselves (a big no no), past hours, etc.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:24:10 PM »
It's really hard to imagine that people who are so horrible at math that they decide to play the lottery, can't manage the money they win.

Not everyone who plays the lottery is bad at math.  I'm objectively very good at math, but occasionally play.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 05:00:09 PM »
Funny article, particularly the last guy Michael Carroll who got his own police hotline!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 02:16:48 PM »
Ooooo...love stories of crazy lottery winners. Is it bad that it makes me feel better?

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 06:15:59 AM »
The article didn't head where I expected. I though it would be more of the idiots who have the impulse control of a squirrel, end up with mid-five figures, post tax,  after their "big win" and head off living the life of a 1%er. One of the shitty cable channels struck comedy gold with a winner like this.
 That segment focused on an early 20s, stereotypical "Joe Dirt" character from the deep south. He literally had a mullet, and used the winnings to buy a bright red, very used Camaro, and to build a man cave in the double wide trailer. The whole time, this barely functional redneck is droning on about how THEY are rich, and how winning the lottery changed their lives forever. The plural usage in the story was referring to the fact that he was basking in the bounty of his daddy's luck. Dad had won $340K in the state lottery. They wrapped it up with junior dragging dad to some weird toy and fantasy shop, where junior was dropping large coin on fake Chinese swords to display, back at the trailer. A bit over the top, perhaps, but quite reflective of how many seem to address the sudden delivery of a significant upgrade to their net worth.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 08:04:06 AM »
The article didn't head where I expected. I though it would be more of the idiots who have the impulse control of a squirrel, end up with mid-five figures, post tax,  after their "big win" and head off living the life of a 1%er. One of the shitty cable channels struck comedy gold with a winner like this.
 That segment focused on an early 20s, stereotypical "Joe Dirt" character from the deep south. He literally had a mullet, and used the winnings to buy a bright red, very used Camaro, and to build a man cave in the double wide trailer. The whole time, this barely functional redneck is droning on about how THEY are rich, and how winning the lottery changed their lives forever. The plural usage in the story was referring to the fact that he was basking in the bounty of his daddy's luck. Dad had won $340K in the state lottery. They wrapped it up with junior dragging dad to some weird toy and fantasy shop, where junior was dropping large coin on fake Chinese swords to display, back at the trailer. A bit over the top, perhaps, but quite reflective of how many seem to address the sudden delivery of a significant upgrade to their net worth.

hahahaha I saw this one. I recall they met with some who was supposed to teach them class too and they dined at a nicer restaurant.

Mrs.FamilyFinances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 05:31:47 PM »
No shame here, if I won the lottery, I would act like a fool for the first week. Buy myself some new knockers and throw a party. The rest of course, would be wisely invested, but still.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 06:01:38 PM »
No shame here, if I won the lottery, I would act like a fool for the first week. Buy myself some new knockers and throw a party.

LMAO. My wife would do the same thing! She tells her friends our story of bra shopping. In Wal-Mart one day, I find her in the "delicates" area, shopping for a bra. I ask "do you still wear a 36L ?" She says, "what the hell is a 36L ?" I tell her, it's stands for thirty six long. At the time she was not amused, and muttered something about me being some sort of a "hole".

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 08:18:50 AM »
I wish I were smart enough to get over on the lottery like those MIT kids...  I never have the good ideas...

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 12:52:22 PM »
I don't play the lottery but I do enter the HGTV dream home giveaway every year and I always calculate the value of the cash payout post tax then figure out exactly how much we can spend on a nice vacation and how much we will have after that vacation to put in savings/investments. Then I make my husband listen to how every penny is going to be allocated. He loves me, so he half-listens and nods enthusiastically.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 01:14:30 PM »
I don't play the lottery but I do enter the HGTV dream home giveaway every year and I always calculate the value of the cash payout post tax then figure out exactly how much we can spend on a nice vacation and how much we will have after that vacation to put in savings/investments. Then I make my husband listen to how every penny is going to be allocated. He loves me, so he half-listens and nods enthusiastically.
Well, it doesn't cost anything other than a minute's time each day to enter the Dream Home giveaway (or the current Smart Home one), and the wife and I get more than that minute's value out of having fun figuring out what we'd do with the money or the place itself (this year's Dream Home was quite impressive, though neither of us think moving to Tahoe would work well...) so that seems like a fairly smart bet compared to playing the lottery- probably higher odds of winning and no substantial cost. ;)