Author Topic: I... uh... finally installed my ceiling fans. After 3 years. Facepunch away.  (Read 2375 times)

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
When we bought our house three years ago (manufactured), one of the options we went for was ceiling fan wiring - it was something like $50/room to have them wired for ceiling fans in addition to lights.  That included the extra switches and a junction box that was rated for fan weight and more or less "ready to add fans."  Just, no fans came with the house.

We bought two when doing the "New home shopping run to Lowes" - one for the master bedroom, one (rather large - 70") one for the living room (since it's a large room).

... and then I kinda sorta let them sit in boxes for the next 3 years.  They were out of the way, the place wasn't running too hot (we have vent fans in the window at night that suck cold air through, so it's quite comfortable without using much AC for large parts of the year), and... (insert excuses here).

Anyway, they're both finally installed.  After three years.  Out of warranty before even opening the box. :/  On the plus side, the living room fan looks quite nice in the living room!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
I'm fairly sure most of us would have done something like this at some stage.  I'm getting better at not buying until I know I have time to install, but I still have a new bathroom door that needs hanging I purchased a couple of months ago to replace the old one that has holes in it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
^^^ I bought a  hall light and a light for over the kitchen sink, and a year later got the electrician in to install them.   Sometimes you see the "perfect" whatever and grab it while it is available, but the perfect installation time doesn't match the perfect purchase time.

At least Syonyk didn't end up reselling the ceiling fans as lost causes.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
Lowe's just had a deal where you text some number and get a gift card worth between $5-$500. I ended up with a $100 gift card that had to be used that day. I got diagonal cutters, bolt cutters (I probably got on a watch list with those two items purchased together) and a ceiling fan for my son's room.

One weekend down, and it still hasn't been put up. I'll try to get it done sooner than three years.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
I bought a bathroom cabinet, one of those over the toilet things. Still sitting in the box, untouched, nearly 3 years later.

I've also determined that I don't want that style, I want the one that can sit on the floor. Not sure if I can convert.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
I bought 13 curtain rods and 5 ceiling fans - the house closes next week.  I sure hope I get them done before 3 years, but at our weekend house we still have an exterior door purchased 2 years ago that hasn't been installed.... ;-)

Cellista

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Took a whole year before I installed the laundry shelves I'd purchased.

If it hadn't been for the government shutdown...

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his

Glad some good came of that.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache

Glad some good came of that.

I bet home improvement stores were pretty busy for those few weeks

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
I don't like admitting it, I'm the same. I have the wood for a water barrel stand and the barrels; its been a couple years. I built one for one side of my house and this is for the other side, so I have all the tools and knowledge.

I like this thread; confessions of procrastinations.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
I was just gonna say congrats for getting it done! Better now than in 3 more years. :)