Author Topic: I Tried to Save Money on Groceries and Ended Up Poisoning Myself  (Read 11509 times)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
Re: I Tried to Save Money on Groceries and Ended Up Poisoning Myself
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2019, 06:58:10 AM »
LOL!

The people of Louisiana, Texas, and Latin America and other countries where kidney beans are regularly eaten would laugh at this, would just say "you suck at basic cooking".

And the folks in the UK in 1979. Yeah a couple of Brits pretty much fucked this one up. No wonder Brit food was the shits in that era. What else have the Brits fucked up throughout the ages... hmmm?

A book without page numbers on it is not a book, it's just a damn document converted to pdf. Basic stuff learnt in English 101 at a state college or university. Or in high school depending when and where raised.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2019, 07:44:28 AM »
LOL!

The people of Louisiana, Texas, and Latin America and other countries where kidney beans are regularly eaten would laugh at this, would just say "you suck at basic cooking".

I’m Mexican-American. I grew up eating beans cooked at home. Many people didn’t, and maybe education is better than mocking. But then again, this is the shaming board.

My family also never cooked kidney beans from scratch (I still don’t). I had no idea how much more toxic they were, compared to my usual pinto and black beans, until we discussed the lectins in a college bio class. Even recipes for red beans and rice (not a local dish here; I have no friends or relatives from Louisiana) don’t usually list a disclaimer.

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2019, 07:58:57 AM »
Her diet seems highly questionable anyway - surely you'd get sick living off of just beans and rice eventually, even if you cook them right? Is there really no other way for her to have a low grocery bill than to eat these same foods every day?

I spend about £15 (maybe $20) on groceries every week, and I buy a big variety of foods including fresh fruit, veg and salad!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2019, 09:40:34 AM »
Her diet seems highly questionable anyway - surely you'd get sick living off of just beans and rice eventually, even if you cook them right? Is there really no other way for her to have a low grocery bill than to eat these same foods every day?

I spend about £15 (maybe $20) on groceries every week, and I buy a big variety of foods including fresh fruit, veg and salad!

Yeah, that's the confusing part for me. Why didn't she mix up her diet a bit more? Every week, there are sales and specials on fruits and veg. Sometimes nuts go on sale. Oatmeal, lentils, and peanut butter are cheap. If she's vegetarian, canned tuna would be out of the question but tofu isn't particularly expensive.

brute

• Pencil Stache

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2019, 03:22:30 PM »
LOL!

I’m Mexican-American. I grew up eating beans cooked at home. Many people didn’t, and maybe education is better than mocking. But then again, this is the shaming board.

My family also never cooked kidney beans from scratch (I still don’t). I had no idea how much more toxic they were, compared to my usual pinto and black beans, until we discussed the lectins in a college bio class. Even recipes for red beans and rice (not a local dish here; I have no friends or relatives from Louisiana) don’t usually list a disclaimer.

I grew up in a fairly 'foodie' family, considering white, middle American, Midwestern culinary culture of the 1970s/1980s, but they never cooked beans. Beans were for poor people who couldn't afford meat.  I never ate beans, nor Mexican food, regularly until I was in college in the Southwest.  And the beans were mostly cooked for me.  I learned to make my first bean stews (black bean or lentil) in a big pot (which boiled), but no recipe I ever saw warned that some beans were toxic if under-coooked.  I worried about meat being undercooked, but never grains or beans.  Hell, grains were to be eaten raw in granola and cereals.  Why would beans be dangerous? And I never ate kidney beans, and still don't, b/c I don't like them.  So by the time I had a crockpot it was decades later and it never even occurred to me and I happily slow cooked my beans at barely a simmer. 

It isn't that surprising that lots of people wouldn't know this.  Lots of things about cooking seem intuitive after you know them, but not before.

Hell, my husband was well into his 30s and was working on his doctorate, and still didn't realize how dangerous it was to put the cooked chicken back on THE SAME PLATE that he'd placed it on when it was raw.  No one ever told him that, and he never consulted cookbooks, just cooked by trial and error. So he got incredibly lucky and just never learned that until I told him.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:24:15 PM by wenchsenior »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2019, 04:04:13 PM »

Hell, my husband was well into his 30s and was working on his doctorate, and still didn't realize how dangerous it was to put the cooked chicken back on THE SAME PLATE that he'd placed it on when it was raw.  No one ever told him that, and he never consulted cookbooks, just cooked by trial and error. So he got incredibly lucky and just never learned that until I told him.

Yikes. Yeah, it's been a long road to convince my husband (who has a biology degree) that the wooden or bamboo cutting boards in our kitchen are for fruits/veg and cooked meats only, while the plastic ones that I replace regularly are for raw meats. His parents basically scald everything in the dishwasher—which we don't have—so he never even considered cross-contamination.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2019, 04:57:25 PM »
a roux is called "Cajun napalm" for a reason...

Given the severe 2nd degree burn and resulting scar on my thumb, name checks out.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2019, 05:39:43 PM »

A book without page numbers on it is not a book, it's just a damn document converted to pdf. Basic stuff learnt in English 101 at a state college or university. Or in high school depending when and where raised.

Huh? What do you have against pdfs? "Book" was part of the document title, sorry to offend your literary sensibilities.

Anyone have any thoughts on the content or usefulness? It's a lot of information, but I'm impressed at the scope and depth of it.
I don't generally research how to cook something I consider a basic food (beans), but I would have had no idea about kidney beans.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:27:17 PM by GreenToTheCore0112358 »

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2019, 08:09:50 AM »
I learned about the toxicity of undercooked kidney beans from a Dick Francis mystery.  The beans were used to sicken restaurant customers in an attack on the owner. 

That's one of the things I love about reading:  you never know what odd and interesting things you'll pick up along the way. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 08:17:04 AM by SpeedReader »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2019, 10:25:32 AM »
This wasn't what I was planning for my first post but I'm excited to have something to share.
The FDA Bad Bug Book is an interesting resource. Kidney beans are addressed on page 254.
Thoughts?

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/UCM297627.pdf

I found it interesting, and a bit scary that there are so many bacteria, viruses, worms etc out there, in food. I also noticed that many of them can be found in raw milk, which is nowadays a "hot" ingredient in fancy restaurants. Better avoid it.
It was good to see that the basic food safety routines are routines that I have grown up with, combined with new knowledge while getting older. So chances of getting sick are not that big. (Apart from getting Noro virus on overnight ferries around Christmas times.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:28:31 AM by Linea_Norway »

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2019, 09:45:16 PM »
I learned about the toxicity of undercooked kidney beans from a Dick Francis mystery.  The beans were used to sicken restaurant customers in an attack on the owner. 

That's one of the things I love about reading:  you never know what odd and interesting things you'll pick up along the way.

Love this. I feel like non-readers don't quite understand the depth of value you get from books.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2019, 09:53:53 PM »
I found it interesting, amd a bit scary that there are so many bacteria, viruses, worms etc out there, in food. I also noticed that many of them can be found in raw milk, which is nowadays a "hot ingredient in fancy restaurants. Better avoid it.
It was good to see that the basic food safety routines are routines that I have grown up with, combined with new knowledge while getting older. So chances of getting sick are not that big. (Apart from getting Noro virus on overnight ferries around Christmas times.)

Completely agree.
I really don't understand why we're regressing in health/safety practices: milk, non-iodized salt, vaccines, etc.
Does no one remember/know of the last 100 years? It really wasn't that long ago... (great uncle died from drinking raw milk).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2019, 07:29:34 AM »
I found it interesting, amd a bit scary that there are so many bacteria, viruses, worms etc out there, in food. I also noticed that many of them can be found in raw milk, which is nowadays a "hot ingredient in fancy restaurants. Better avoid it.

Completely agree.
I really don't understand why we're regressing in health/safety practices: milk, non-iodized salt, vaccines, etc.
Does no one remember/know of the last 100 years? It really wasn't that long ago... (great uncle died from drinking raw milk).

We have had a couple generations where safety practices were so ingrained in food preparation that food-borne illness became very rare.  You combine that with a group of people who both distrust known science and are willfully stupid (or have found extremely misleading kooky information on the internet and extremely gullible) and voila.  We have the perfect mix to bring back disease that had virtually been eradicated . . . through sheer pigheaded ignorance of vaccinations and food safety.

We need a couple decades of deaths and severe illness caused by this idiocy before people start to believe well proven science again.  Fortunately, this has already started.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2019, 12:30:27 PM »

Completely agree.

We have had a couple generations where safety practices were so ingrained in food preparation that food-borne illness became very rare.  You combine that with a group of people who both distrust known science and are willfully stupid (or have found extremely misleading kooky information on the internet and extremely gullible) and voila.  We have the perfect mix to bring back disease that had virtually been eradicated . . . through sheer pigheaded ignorance of vaccinations and food safety.

We need a couple decades of deaths and severe illness caused by this idiocy before people start to believe well proven science again.  Fortunately, this has already started.
It's also unfortunate that govt-mandated vaccination policies in developing countries are being sabotaged by overseas religious-based groups and traveling pastors/preachers. It's one thing if you wanna fuck up people in your home region, but it's another to export your stupid ideas to countries where vaccination has been proven to be effective.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2019, 09:50:12 PM »

I half expect someone to start marketing Brawndo in the next few years.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2019, 05:15:28 AM »

I half expect someone to start marketing Brawndo in the next few years.

It has what plants crave!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2019, 07:34:50 AM »
Electrolytes yo.