Author Topic: I saw it on the road...  (Read 21063 times)

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
Re: I saw it on the road...
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2015, 02:40:43 PM »
I don't get it...

Sorry, the license plate...

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2015, 02:47:12 PM »
Last summer I noticed a couple of vehicles on the streets near my office building that were sporting a rather odd feature: video screens embedded into the backs of the headrests.

At first glance, this is nothing new; those video screens are now practically standard features on some family SUVs, mini vans, etc. But on these two particular vehicles, the screens were on the headrests of the BACK SEAT passengers! That’s right, the screens were positioned so that none of the car’s occupants could view them, unless you were hanging on to the trunk surface.

I really don’t get this. Is it some attempt to convey status? As in, “I have so much money to waste that I can afford to put two un-useable video screens into my vehicle.” Or maybe they are telling the world, “My videos are so awesome, I am sure that the vehicles behind me would appreciate seeing them, if only for a second or two.” What is the thought process behind this?

Here is another mod I don’t get. One guy whose wife works in my office campus drives a Chevy Impala. He replaced the driver’s door hinge with one of those “scissor” types that tilt up vertically, like a Lamborghini. Apparently he didn’t have enough cash to outfit the passenger door.

And of course, there are the ubiquitous bolted-on rear spoilers. Never mind that ½ of those vehicles probably can’t top 100 mph. A couple of weeks ago I saw one on a relatively new Infinity sedan.

So what weird, illogical modifications are in your neighborhood?

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2015, 02:50:21 PM »
There are probably 3rd row seats in those vehicles that were folded down or removed for more cargo space...

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2015, 03:04:55 PM »
There are probably 3rd row seats in those vehicles that were folded down or removed for more cargo space...

Nope. In both vehicles, the screens were a few inches from the back window. Very clearly not for occupant viewing.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2015, 03:31:11 PM »
I'd guess they're for tailgating. Big college football area?

Wile E. Coyote

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2015, 03:37:12 PM »
I don't get it...

Sorry, the license plate...

Hard to see on my phone. Free Candy?  If so, it'd be better on a big unmarked van.😉

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »

Nope. In both vehicles, the screens were a few inches from the back window. Very clearly not for occupant viewing.

Wow, that's super weird!

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »

Here is another mod I don’t get. One guy whose wife works in my office campus drives a Chevy Impala. He replaced the driver’s door hinge with one of those “scissor” types that tilt up vertically, like a Lamborghini. Apparently he didn’t have enough cash to outfit the passenger door.

That is actually kind of genius for the people with the too small garage or when some jerk parks too close to you and you can't open your door.  Neither my husband nor I have very large cars but it is a super tight fit and hard to open the door all of the way when both cars are in there.  The Lamborghini door would totally solve the problem. :)

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2015, 05:10:01 PM »
Hard to see on my phone. Free Candy?  If so, it'd be better on a big unmarked van.😉
Yep it says Free candy. But shouldn't that be on the back of a creepy rusted out old van with no windows instead of an SUV? I mean that IS what's in vogue for all child abductors these days.

I think that's why it's supposed to be funny. That's actually a VW Vanagon Westfalia. Not sure on the price, but it's fairly Mustachian as far as RVs go.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2015, 04:42:23 AM »
In Australia we have P plates for younger drivers still on probation (and L plates for learners). It's basically a square plate you have to display somewhere highly visible on your vehicle.

I saw a Jeep once that looked a bit off. The spare wheel on the back had JEEP on the cover. The P plate was put over the original P and was a perfect match (except for the red background). Thought that was a slick move.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2015, 04:52:42 AM »
Ever since I moved to Perth I collect pictures of number plates. Here are a few gems

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2015, 07:03:04 AM »
I don't get the last one. Who/what is ASX?

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2015, 07:14:18 AM »

Australian Security Exchange.  Google is my best friend.  :D

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2015, 07:42:30 AM »

Australian Security Exchange.  Google is my best friend.  :D

ah I see. Well you saved me a google.

Saw a Tesla on the road with plates: "byeopec"..
I think a tesla is a horrendous waste of money, but that was kinda funny.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2015, 03:26:52 AM »
Last summer I noticed a couple of vehicles on the streets near my office building that were sporting a rather odd feature: video screens embedded into the backs of the headrests.

At first glance, this is nothing new; those video screens are now practically standard features on some family SUVs, mini vans, etc. But on these two particular vehicles, the screens were on the headrests of the BACK SEAT passengers! That’s right, the screens were positioned so that none of the car’s occupants could view them, unless you were hanging on to the trunk surface.

I really don’t get this. Is it some attempt to convey status? As in, “I have so much money to waste that I can afford to put two un-useable video screens into my vehicle.” Or maybe they are telling the world, “My videos are so awesome, I am sure that the vehicles behind me would appreciate seeing them, if only for a second or two.” What is the thought process behind this?

Again, we have a reference to this video by Reggie Watts:  https://youtu.be/CJQU22Ttpwc?t=2m48s   (NSFW!).

Logic_Lady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2015, 08:51:27 AM »

Maybe they have a third row of seats, facing the screens, that fold down? This is the only halfway reasonable explanation I can think of.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »
Could be for tailgating, or to go with one of those ridiculous sound systems people put in the back of hatchbacks/SUVs. The kind that go to subwoofer competitions and the like. Their systems aren't really meant to be used fully while cruising down the road; it's more for showing off, and/or hosting impromptu block parties I suppose.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »
Could be for tailgating, or to go with one of those ridiculous sound systems people put in the back of hatchbacks/SUVs. The kind that go to subwoofer competitions and the like. Their systems aren't really meant to be used fully while cruising down the road; it's more for showing off, and/or hosting impromptu block parties I suppose.

Ah yes, the seismic car sound systems :-) I was wondering whether those might make an appearance.

Some of them I've heard sounded like the system had rattled a few bolts loose. That kind of dBA can't be good for the car or your ears!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »

Ah yes, the seismic car sound systems :-) I was wondering whether those might make an appearance.

Some of them I've heard sounded like the system had rattled a few bolts loose. That kind of dBA can't be good for the car or your ears!

They also aren't great for the ambulance coming up behind you that you can't hear for the sound system, nor see for the massive speaker boxes and tailfin blocking your rear view.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2015, 11:34:03 AM »
Saw a Tesla on the road with plates: "byeopec"..
There are a lot of cute plates in that genre... FKFRNOIL, H8GAS, etc.

I think a tesla is a horrendous waste of money, but that was kinda funny.
A lot of people who wouldn't normally pay so much for a car have seen fit to do so. For one, the TCO compares to that of much cheaper cars (there's a semi-famous case study where a guy found the 5-year cost of a Honda Odyssey was higher). They run for $0.02-$0.04/mi, and the handful of moving parts means virtually no powertrain maintenance. Their forthcoming Model III (35K) will rival the TCO of the cheapest econobox out there.
Then there's the principled aspect of it. Yeah, you can only claim so much idealism in a luxury car purchase, but getting off gas 100% means a lot to people, for various reasons - economic, environmental, geopolitical, you name it.
I personally wish they'd make a stripped-down version with none of the creature comforts, because I'd love the battery range and fast charging. Maybe a used Model III after someone else takes the new car penalty and the tax break.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!