Author Topic: I saw it on the road...  (Read 21039 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
I saw it on the road...
« on: March 24, 2015, 05:13:47 AM »
Lets see how ridiculous the things you spot on the road are. Blinged out golf carts? Jacked up minis? How many ridiculous ways are there to blow your stash?

To start things off I present a great bumper sticker on a clown truck. Indeed there is more to life than fuel economy. Like early retirement, useful toys, the future of your kids, etc. etc.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 05:17:29 AM by Prospector »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
Re: I saw it on the road...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 07:20:06 AM »
Well, they're technically correct, but there's also more to life than working a few extra years for the privilege of hauling an extra ton of metal everywhere you go.
If only I knew where this guy commuted, I'd prop myself up along his route with a daiquiri the day I retire, with a sign saying "My EV paid for my retirement"

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 07:40:32 AM »
Note the custom rims and low-profile tires. Combined with the 'Rough Country Suspension" doesn't one negate the other - or do you think (s)he has a second set of rims/tires for the days (s)he goes mudding? Not being part of that community, I have no idea.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:56:03 AM »
Note the custom rims and low-profile tires. Combined with the 'Rough Country Suspension" doesn't one negate the other - or do you think (s)he has a second set of rims/tires for the days (s)he goes mudding? Not being part of that community, I have no idea.
Anything's possible when you reach that level of irrationality.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:07:48 AM »
Prospector, I can guarantee that truck as never seen any more dirt than the 20 feet between the highway and some state run campground with RV hookups and 80 people blasting generators all day long while "roughing it."

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:32:56 AM »
Whenever I see a truck like this (unless I find out the guy works in construction or something where it's actually, ya know, useful as a truck), my first instinct is to think:

"Poor guy. Not only does erectile dysfunction sound awful, overcompensating for it looks so expensive!"

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:39:52 AM »
Whenever I see a truck like this (unless I find out the guy works in construction or something where it's actually, ya know, useful as a truck), my first instinct is to think:

"Poor guy. Not only does erectile dysfunction sound awful, overcompensating for it looks so expensive!"

Except.... that's a woman's truck.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 08:51:11 AM »

Some women have small penises as well.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »

Huh, apparently my gut instincts have a mild sexist tint to them, and assume only men can be insecure assholes... I should get to work on making sure I hate everyone equally ;)

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 09:05:08 AM »
I just saw something the other day and thought we needed a thread like this!

A guy in front of me had a brand new F150 with a custom plate of "FIRE-5." I giggled to myself and thought, "not with that truck, buddy"

Then he turned into the fire station and I felt silly for not realizing the much more common usage of the word xD

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »
I need to keep my camera with me I guess.  There's a number of ridiculous vehicles in and around my town that would fit perfectly in this thread.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 09:55:29 AM »
I just saw something the other day and thought we needed a thread like this!

A guy in front of me had a brand new F150 with a custom plate of "FIRE-5." I giggled to myself and thought, "not with that truck, buddy"

Then he turned into the fire station and I felt silly for not realizing the much more common usage of the word xD

Haha it gets confusing in a context where the letters have to be capitalized, doesn't it? =P

You could alternately interpret this as the owner will perpetually be five years away from FIRE.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 09:58:05 AM »
My favorite bumper sticker I've ever seen was on a jacked up Jeep Wrangler:

"Cool Prius.

- nobody"

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 09:58:37 AM »

Note the lack of noticeable filth in the wheel wells and on the rear quarter panel. I'd guess it was for show, unless they had just taken it through the car wash.

Curiously, a friend of mine growing up was a rare case where owning a Suburban was probably a reasonably efficient way of getting around. 2 parents, 5 kids, and often bringing many of them to the same place (a hockey rink, with hockey bags).

That said, one real head-scratcher we sometimes see around here are Luxury-brand pickup trucks (I'm looking at you, Lincoln and Cadillac). I just don't see the point.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 09:59:47 AM »

"Cool Prius.

- nobody"

I'll be honest, that actually made me laugh really hard :-)

candygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 10:43:56 AM »
First time poster... hi everyone! :)

Somewhat to the truck's defence: they have winter tires on the vehicle based on the tread....and it's Canada where snowfall is possible until end of April.

Second, I have winter tires mounted on my car's OEM rims, because it was cheaper to get new summer rims for the summer tires (as a fellow Canuck).  They may be doing the same thing.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 11:56:50 AM »
@candygirl - they certainly do look like winter tires.  I have mine on the car as well - they will stay on for at least another 2 weeks, based on the 14 day forecast.  How can you tell it is Canada? The OP squiggled over the license plate.

@shotgunwilly - How can you tell that is a woman's truck?

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 12:06:55 PM »

"Cool Prius.

- nobody"

It's for the same reason you don't see businessmen get a hero's welcome whenever they show up for work, but a college kid who plays on the basketball team does.  A big part of world public culture (ever seen World Cup games?) rewards people who do things that don't really matter (overconsumption, playing games) versus the apparently boring things like running a business well or saving for early/comfortable retirement.

On the other hand, it's extremely hard to find life-long satisfaction from overconsumption or being a pro athlete, whereas there's benefits immediately from adopting a sustainable lifestyle and they most certainly can pay off for your entire lifetime.  A lot of people seem to want the destination (life of ease/security) but don't want to take the journey it takes to get there (hard work, wise spending).

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 12:24:57 PM »
I didn't get a photo, but the other day I saw a brand new Lexus SUV on the road (couldn't tell you what model) that had a vanity plate that said, "LEXUS." Just in case you weren't sure. They paid extra for that. /facepalm

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 12:37:25 PM »
I didn't get a photo, but the other day I saw a brand new Lexus SUV on the road (couldn't tell you what model) that had a vanity plate that said, "LEXUS." Just in case you weren't sure. They paid extra for that. /facepalm

I would do that . . . if I worked for Lexus or owned a dealership!

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »
@candygirl - they certainly do look like winter tires.  I have mine on the car as well - they will stay on for at least another 2 weeks, based on the 14 day forecast.  How can you tell it is Canada? The OP squiggled over the license plate.

Giant Tiger on the sign in the back ground.  They are Canadian only, I believe.

Wile E. Coyote

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 01:17:15 PM »
I saw a Bentley the other day that had a plate that read "NOUGH."  I bet he had another one that had a plate that reads "NEVER.";)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 01:32:56 PM »

It was in Canada! I assumed she guessed from my profile, but as others have said Giant Tiger -Tigre Geant is a Canadian chain.

You can tell its a girly truck by the pink buck and doe stickers on the back window. I'm not sure whether it was a girl driving (not that it matters) so in my reply I used the non-gender defined (s)he instead of making an assumption.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 05:33:01 PM »
I saw a Prius with a "Coal Keeps the Lights On" bumper sticker.

I'm in the Appalachian coalfields. It was so thought provoking, ironic, laughable and yet a really fitting example of the conflict in the community. 

Lots of big trucks here.  Many for work, and mountain roads, many for vanity.  I remember the first time I saw a "Save a coal miner, Shoot a tree hugger" bumper sticker. 

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 07:15:04 AM »

I'm in the Appalachian coalfields. It was so thought provoking, ironic, laughable and yet a really fitting example of the conflict in the community. 

Lots of big trucks here.  Many for work, and mountain roads, many for vanity.  I remember the first time I saw a "Save a coal miner, Shoot a tree hugger" bumper sticker.

Actually, if I was a coal miner I'd want to have everyone driving electric cars.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 07:19:58 AM »

Actually, if I was a coal miner I'd want to have everyone driving electric cars.
Last I checked, West Virginia had the highest state-level incentive for buying an EV - $5,000. It makes sense. They produce coal and import gas.
But the interest in using 100% domestic energy transcends the specific source of supply. Charging from any inherently domestic source has the same effect - it depresses demand for petroleum and supports American industry.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 07:49:42 AM »

Unless it was a plug in Prius, it wasn't an electric car. But your general point still stands.

I go by a PT Cruiser every day with a bumper sticker that says "Cool PT Cruiser". Are they being ironic? Serious? I'll never know.

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 08:01:24 AM »
My new neighbor across the street has an F-350 sitting in his driveway. It's HUGE, black, chrome everywhere, shiny new and gets washed/waxed every week. Won't fit in the garage.  There's no boat or trailer over there either.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 10:15:39 AM »
My neighbor has 2 massive F-250s, a corvette, 2 jet skis, and a huge boat that barely fits into their back yard.  He does use both trucks as snow plows though.  Maybe he is just rolling in money.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 10:19:04 AM »
What's the price tag on such a machine?  $50K or better, I gotta think, right?

surfhb

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »
All he needs now is a one of those chrome ball sacks on the back hitch.   

Nothing makes me want to shake my head in embarrassment for the people who actually attach them and walk out in their driveway every morning and say:  " wow..... That looks really cool"

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 11:30:54 AM »
What's the price tag on such a machine?  $50K or better, I gotta think, right?

Keep going.

A King Ranch F350 diesel 4x4 (crew cab, long bed, as a truck should be) starts around $65k and it's really easy to get to $70k without even thinking about it.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
I saw a small TANK zipping along Broadway in Vancouver a few years ago with a bunch of army people in it and a giant Canadian flag flapping behind it. I have no idea what that was about, but I wish I'd taken a picture. I was surprised how fast it could go.

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 05:25:03 PM »
That truck won't see off-road, might scratch those wheels.

After having to drive on snowy/muddy right-of-ways, I honestly don't get the draw of muddin'. "Yeah! Let's go see if we can get through there without gettin' stuck!"

Recovering stuck equipment is always a headache when you're just trying to get work done. Some days I wish my work F350 had a lift and 35s, but that's just so I wouldn't get stuck trying to get stuff free.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 07:28:26 AM »
So timely. Yesterday there was a Maserati in front of me at a light with the plate "FIT GUY." I was so stunned by the vanity of it that I forgot to shoot a photo. Maybe he made a fortune in the fitness industry. Either way, he wasn't demonstrating much financial fitness.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 07:33:55 AM »
All he needs now is a one of those chrome ball sacks on the back hitch.   

Nothing makes me want to shake my head in embarrassment for the people who actually attach them and walk out in their driveway every morning and say:  " wow..... That looks really cool"
Hey now.
Every man needs at least one ballsack big enough to see with the naked eye. Some of us keep them in our pants, some of us have to buy one for our truck.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 08:28:24 AM »
I saw a sports car with a vanity plate that said "ITZA4RE".

That one took me a second...

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 08:45:26 AM »

I still don't get it...

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2015, 09:08:50 AM »

I still don't get it...

ITZ = It's
A = A
4RE = Ferrari (sound it out)

Virginia seems to be the capital of vanity license plates because here they're super-cheap and you can get anything from your college to your favorite cause as the background (yes, I have them, don't judge).  Virginia was also home to this treasure, which I actually saw on I-95 once but sadly the DMV revoked it:

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 09:10:05 AM »

I still don't get it...

Too many R's for New England! It's a Ferrari... (Or a Fuh-rah-ri, either way you'll lose it in a pothole 'round heah...)

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 09:16:53 AM »

I still don't get it...

Too many R's for New England! It's a Ferrari... (Or a Fuh-rah-ri, either way you'll lose it in a pothole 'round heah...)

LOL! The pronunciation is a little bent, but I still probably should have been able to make that connection. D'oh!

With all the tabled crosswalks and intersections they're putting in around here, those things are becoming less and less practical by the day, and that's before we even begin with the seasonal pothole bonanza...Yikes.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »

"Cool Prius.

- nobody"

There's someone in my town with the same bumper sticker, but it's on the back of their Prius. 

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »
I used to see a red BMW convertible around town with the license plate B4IM35.

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2015, 11:30:34 AM »
Our neighbors have TWO of these giant truck monstrosities sitting in the yard next door. Loud as shit, chrome everywhere. The RentOne van shows up a couple times a month to attempt to re-posses their appliances. :/

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2015, 12:43:15 PM »

"Cool Prius.

- nobody"

There's someone in my town with the same bumper sticker, but it's on the back of their Prius.

I love this for the fact that it boggles the mind of some people that seem to think ascetics or coolness is a main factor in a car. For me, a car is a way to get to Point B from Point A and the factors that concern me are (in no particular order): safety, easy of maintenance (which I suppose includes gas mileage), and comfort.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2015, 12:50:26 PM »
I don't know squat about decorative or utilitarian wheel configurations. I saw this truck on post today.  There was a Nissan Sentra just a block away with the same wheels. What is the point of that?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »
That's how you say, "I'll never even take this truck on a gravel road, much less anywhere you need a truck."

Those wheels are flat out silly for a truck. And I'm sure they're expensive too. If you go with expensive truck wheels and tires, at least have them be useful...

I mean, a set of tires for my truck is $2k, but they're high pressure highway towing tires that last 80k+ miles.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2015, 01:44:56 PM »
I don't know squat about decorative or utilitarian wheel configurations. I saw this truck on post today.  There was a Nissan Sentra just a block away with the same wheels. What is the point of that?
To set money on fire more quickly and efficiently in order to avoid the burden of an early retirement with nothing to do (as evidenced by their lack of imagination).

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2015, 02:04:08 PM »
Saw this one a few months ago...

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2015, 02:12:44 PM »
Saw this one a few months ago...

I don't get it...