Author Topic: I saved money by going with the base model RAM  (Read 3671 times)

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
I saved money by going with the base model RAM
« on: June 29, 2017, 04:55:41 PM »

This is from an acquaintance of mine.  He BELIEVES he saved money by going with a base model Dodge RAM.  No, he will not be using it to frequently haul stuff, and yes, he has a long commute.  I guess the good news is that he'll be doing that commute in comfort for the next 30+ years (he's 30 years old).

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: I saved money by going with the base model RAM
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 05:47:25 PM »
You put it in caps... I thought he was buying cheap Random Access Memory.

Somehow I doubt having such a huge vehicle to drive one person is good value. I also suspect it's not very fuel-efficient.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 05:50:08 PM »
But it is so much less than the loaded one they wanted!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 02:22:28 AM »
Don't. Fret about it. In 18 months he will have upgraded to the fully loaded model.

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 04:25:57 AM »
Don't. Fret about it. In 18 months he will have upgraded to the fully loaded model.
Well, what else are you going to do when you have more money coming in than you spend. Those extra monthly loan payments are so small, they are less than what he spends on Starbucks.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 06:21:26 AM »
You scoff, but people are going to be so impressed by his big truck. Everyone is going to be talking about how great he is. Last laugh is on you.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 09:24:32 AM »
This is an actual marketing technique. A company puts out super-fancy products that they don't really expect to sell much of -- but it does make people feel less guilty about spending money on the second-tier alternative.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 09:27:12 AM »

Somehow I doubt having such a huge vehicle to drive one person is good value. I also suspect it's not very fuel-efficient.
This was my first thought too.  I mean, it can make sense to cheap out on RAM at first, as long as you have enough slots available for future expansion.

This is an actual marketing technique. A company puts out super-fancy products that they don't really expect to sell much of -- but it does make people feel less guilty about spending money on the second-tier alternative.
Yep, same reason that restaurant has mostly $5 desserts and one $9 dessert that nobody actually orders.  Anchoring.

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 10:22:16 PM »
Sounds like he is friends with someone I know. DW and I are looking to pick up a second $5k vehicle for when DW works full time (it requires lots of driving, but the pay is good). The guy told me that the mentioned car is lame and I need to learn to negotiate like him who got the dealer to sell him a new Tacoma for only $39k instead of $45k. What a deaaaal. I didn't say much. Sometimes there isn't much to say.

Edit: I too like to pick up base level RAM. I feel the savings outweigh the MHz loss.

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 06:29:53 AM »

This was my first thought too.  I mean, it can make sense to cheap out on RAM at first, as long as you have enough slots available for future expansion.

Ha, I'm glad I wasn't the only one!