Author Topic: I need a new TV my 55" is not big enough  (Read 9338 times)

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
I need a new TV my 55" is not big enough
« on: January 30, 2015, 01:38:21 PM »
I found this on my local by and sell...  Thought there were some here that may enjoy this.... Only a 55", what is this world coming to?  I suddenly realized I wanted a bigger one... FML

http://www.usedregina.com/classified-ad/55-inch-LG-LED-TV-_23929283

AH013

• Bristles
Re: I need a new TV my 55" is not big enough
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 03:10:09 PM »
What I find comical is why knuckleheads think whatever they stupidly paid for something at some fancy pants high-end store has any relevance on the secondary market.  Necessity of a 55 inch TV aside, $780 from this guy for this TV used with me having to pick it up, or $628 for it brand new shipped to my door with a warranty?  Which way is any consumer going to go?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/55-120hz-led-wifi-tv-1080p-3-hdmi-wifi/prod13450644.ip?origin=item_page.rr1&campaign=rr&sn=ClickCP&campaign_data=prod11230398

I see dumb resells like this on craigslist all the time.  Just because YOU don't shop at Walmart / Sam's Club / Costco / Amazon doesn't mean others don't and don't know the lowest retail price.  Sure, let me buy your used junk for more than I can buy it for brand new -- because apparently I also like to just sit around and burn benjamins on my days off of work too. /rant

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 03:19:05 PM »
I have a 55" Smart TV which someone gave me as a gift and it's freaking huge!  Why would anyone ever need a larger TV?  My friends are already blown away by how big it is.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »
I have a 55" Smart TV which someone gave me as a gift and it's freaking huge!  Why would anyone ever need a larger TV?  My friends are already blown away by how big it is.

The university department I work at just bought a 70" Smart TV with a grant for classroom technology and it's honestly ridiculous.  It's on a rolling stand and I can't imagine it even fitting in the classrooms/labs.  General consensus among everyone except the faculty member who chose it is that it's way too big for practical viewing -- it's on a rolling cart and will be used at the front of a small discussion room (like 30 students) or a lab.   I can't imagine being able to see everything on the screen unless you're in the absolute back row of desks/lab benches :(

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 04:57:32 PM »
I'm reading this on a 110" projector screen.    Cheaper than many 60" tvs and I get to fulfill my dream of having my own theater.

I still wouldn't say it's necessary though, just really fricking cool.

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 01:19:22 PM »
I have a friend that has a 70 - something inch TV in his 550 sq ft Condo.  I will never understand... I own a much larger home and was talked into a 42 inch and feel like it's MORE than plenty.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 03:59:42 PM »
I have a friend that has a 70 - something inch TV in his 550 sq ft Condo.  I will never understand... I own a much larger home and was talked into a 42 inch and feel like it's MORE than plenty.

Eh, everyone likely has something that only make sense to them. I'm guessing that he's a reasonable guy if he is living a 550 sq ft place, and so maybe he got a really good deal, or just really wanted it (or might have been a gift). When I buy a place, I might get a really nice and big TV.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 04:10:46 PM »
There was a TEDTalk with this guy from like 1985 talking about future developments of computer stuff, eg touchscreens. He was saying that the computer monitors of the time looked pretty crappy because originally tvs were designed that whatever its size, you'd be watching from 8 times that distance - so any lines or pixels or whatever wouldn't be visible.

A 12" tv viewed from... eight feet? So a 55" tv viewed from... 36 feet?

Obviously technology has changed, the guy was saying they were going to redesign monitors to take into account people's sitting right in front of the damn thing. Still, it puts these large tvs in perspective.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 04:23:36 PM »
I'm reading this on a 110" projector screen.    Cheaper than many 60" tvs and I get to fulfill my dream of having my own theater.

We have been using an LED projector for the past nine years and i seriously have no idea why someone would need a TV screen. Well, everyone except my wife, but that is whatever someone else wants to get rid off.  She just needs a picture and we had CRT unil a year ago, I can tell you the specs of my computers, but I have no idea what this TV can do. It doesn't have USB as I found out yesterday.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 04:33:49 PM »
$50says that TV is hot.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 07:43:26 AM »
$50says that TV is hot.

Even LED's get warm if left on for long periods of time so I would agree with that :O.

SaintM

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 06:32:57 PM »
I have a 55" TV I don't watch.  Anyone want it?

brandino29

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »
I have a 22" monitor (with HDMI input and integrated speakers) that I bought for ~$100 and I had to punch myself in the face many times before I even completed that purchase because I wasn't sure if I could justify such a ridiculous luxury.

Cathy, I had to chuckle at your comment as it reminded me immediately of this scene from The Office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJm8wc0eXYg

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 08:34:25 PM »
We've had a 46" flat screen for about 5 years, and it's really nice. Sometimes when we go to CostCo we take a detour throught the TVs and ogle the 60-65" TVs, but honestly?  When I'm watching TV I never find myself thinking that the show would be more enjoyable if only the TV was taking up 50% more wallspace.  Hopefully what we have will last a long time.

I don't know WTF people are thinking when they try to sell used stuff for high prices. Otoh, several years ago I got a free iPod shuffle through some sort of deal, so I sold it on eBay and some guy paid me like $20 more than what theywere selling for on Amazon, and wrote me a note about how excited he was to get it. I felt kind of guilty, but not really.

EricL

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 06:55:43 AM »
Reminds me of an (apocryphal?) Native American saying: "Indian make small campfire; sits close and stays warm.  White man make big campfire; stays warm chopping wood."

A modern version may be: "A Mustachian buys small TV; sits close and entertained. A consumer buys a big screen TV; works paying it off as entertainment."

With apologies to TV hating Mustachians.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 07:13:42 AM »
We've had a 46" flat screen for about 5 years, and it's really nice. Sometimes when we go to CostCo we take a detour throught the TVs and ogle the 60-65" TVs, but honestly?  When I'm watching TV I never find myself thinking that the show would be more enjoyable if only the TV was taking up 50% more wallspace.  Hopefully what we have will last a long time.

Hahaha, right?!? We upgraded a little over a year ago from a CRT with a DVD player and nothing else, to a 55" flat screen plus an attic antenna and a Roku. OMG! It's fucking amazing! It's like a movie theater in my damn living room!!! Such an insane luxury. Biggest downside is that with the Roku we watch way too much TV now... but seriously, I cannot imagine a more luxurious setup than what we have. And my bf stalked slickdeals for months before we bought the TV, so it was like $450. Still kind of a gross amount to spend on a TV, but whatever.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 07:15:31 AM »
I think ours is 32 inch.  It's small by today's standards, and looks quite funny compared to others, but it wasn't long ago that we had a 19 inch that was given to us after we were married, because people were genuinely concerned by our lack of TV.  LOL. 

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 07:42:31 AM »
What I find comical is why knuckleheads think whatever they stupidly paid for something at some fancy pants high-end store has any relevance on the secondary market.  Necessity of a 55 inch TV aside, $780 from this guy for this TV used with me having to pick it up, or $628 for it brand new shipped to my door with a warranty?  Which way is any consumer going to go?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/55-120hz-led-wifi-tv-1080p-3-hdmi-wifi/prod13450644.ip?origin=item_page.rr1&campaign=rr&sn=ClickCP&campaign_data=prod11230398

I see dumb resells like this on craigslist all the time.  Just because YOU don't shop at Walmart / Sam's Club / Costco / Amazon doesn't mean others don't and don't know the lowest retail price.  Sure, let me buy your used junk for more than I can buy it for brand new -- because apparently I also like to just sit around and burn benjamins on my days off of work too. /rant

Just recently saw a very nice miter saw on craigslist asking exactly retail cost, with an alleged retail cost of $1400 (not a kapex). Apparently this guy is hoping for the one buyer who can use a computer, can search craigslist, who needs a higher-end miter saw, who does not have a working memory of miter saw costs at stores, and does not check pricing online.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 10:14:50 AM »
A few years ago we upgraded from our 25" tv to our 32" tv, which is perfect for us. The problem is, is that we don't watch that tv much (its in a corner of living room). The four of us (and more if we have guests) are clustered around the computer monitor to watch netflix, tv, movies, and most importantly for computer games (yes this is part of our evening entertainment) but the computer monitor is 21? inches diagonal.  I don't know if it is worth it to upgrade to say a 24, 25 inch? It may be nice, but otoh may encourage us to be on the computer more, and I don't like how big screens look.   

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 10:22:25 AM »
Actually if you're someone who loves to watch movies, having a bigger TV is a really nice treat (only if you're financially comfortable to pay it though!). I have a 50'' tv and my GF and I just love it. I plan in the future on buying a 80'' 4K but that's going to stay put until the prices go down.
This is us too.  We cut the cable, but love to watch movies on the 50".  I can see going bigger for the "theater" experience in the future. 

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 10:31:35 AM »
A few years ago we upgraded from our 25" tv to our 32" tv, which is perfect for us. The problem is, is that we don't watch that tv much (its in a corner of living room). The four of us (and more if we have guests) are clustered around the computer monitor to watch netflix, tv, movies, and most importantly for computer games (yes this is part of our evening entertainment) but the computer monitor is 21? inches diagonal.  I don't know if it is worth it to upgrade to say a 24, 25 inch? It may be nice, but otoh may encourage us to be on the computer more, and I don't like how big screens look.

Can your computer be connected to the TV for group-watching activity? Many recent computers have HDMI-out, and many recent TVs have VGA-in. f you can find a port in common, you might just need a connector cable.

SantaFeSteve

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 10:58:08 AM »
We currently watch all of our tv (old school antenna on the roof with a decoder), movies and streaming content through an old Toshiba netbook wired up to our 10 year old 31-inch lcd TV which I got for free through a work rewards program.  It works quite well, but I still get excited on the few occasions I am in a store with the GIGANTIC high-res ultra 4 dimensional holographic punch-you-in-the-face picture quality.  I think if/when this TV fails we might go to something larger than 31-inch...but by then I hope that holodecks will be a real thing.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 11:53:45 AM »

Can your computer be connected to the TV for group-watching activity? Many recent computers have HDMI-out, and many recent TVs have VGA-in. f you can find a port in common, you might just need a connector cable.
I'll have to check this out, but the main reason is the study seems more comfortable, plus people take turns on the computer for the games, which defeats watching it in another room. We would like to keep computer and tv in separate rooms, for the cases when people want to watch different things, or 1 work on computer, 1 watching tv (netflix).

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 12:11:17 PM »

I do this all the time.  I download content I can't get on netflix and hdmi it to my 47" tv.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »
Actually if you're someone who loves to watch movies, having a bigger TV is a really nice treat (only if you're financially comfortable to pay it though!). I have a 50'' tv and my GF and I just love it. I plan in the future on buying a 80'' 4K but that's going to stay put until the prices go down.
This is us too.  We cut the cable, but love to watch movies on the 50".  I can see going bigger for the "theater" experience in the future.

Projectors can go as big as you want these days at 1080p and 3d for $700.   

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 09:30:29 AM »

Projectors can go as big as you want these days at 1080p and 3d for $700.   

Unfortunately, projectors have a poor image quality and you can't have a nice experience unless you're in a pitch black dark basement.

That might have been true 15 years ago, but it's simply not the case anymore.     A 1080p projector is generally already maxed out as far as film is concerned.    Powerdvd actually downgrades the refresh rate when I put a blu-ray in.    I love the look of film and this thing really delivers.    I don't like the look of 120+ refresh rates, they just look strange to me.    But then again, I'd rather watch "Lawerence of Arabia" than the Super Bowl, YMMV.

I'm currently typing this on a projector in the baement of my bi-level that's far from pitch black.    I generally wait until after dark to watch a movie, but this thing looks just as good as the movie theater.