Author Topic: I Need a Movie Theatre in My Home  (Read 21461 times)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
I Need a Movie Theatre in My Home
« on: September 28, 2013, 09:51:11 AM »
After I read the article below, I just had to wonder how someone thinks they need a movie theatre in their house? These luxury condo owners must just laugh and laugh at these people (after they take their money, of course).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/condo-monium-demand-is-up-for-luxury-units-in-the-washington-area/2013/09/27/0ca7ae18-0f32-11e3-bdf6-e4fc677d94a1_story.html

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: I Need a Movie Theatre in My Home
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »
Honestly this is a place if/when I buy a house I will almost assuredly do something like this - http://www.avsforum.com/t/982083/landsharks-small-yet-cozy-home-theater-thread

It's been a dream of mine for many years and I would absolutely LOVE to DIY a theater type room in any future home I purchase.

:)

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 04:31:19 PM »
I am not a big film buff, but it is fun to watch movies on a big screen at home.  A friend gave me a miniature projector as a birthday gift that I have been able to hook up to the laptop.  It does a nice job projecting the show on a white basement wall and the onboard speakers are adequate.  Its fun having movie night with the kids that way.  Would I have bought this myself?  Probably not, but my friend's generous gift is fun to use.  I can see the attraction, anyway, if not to the tune of thousands of dollars.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 05:42:38 PM »
Think re-sell value people. We laugh, we mock, but when it comes time to sell our homes these types of rooms really do add a lot of value. Well in Sydney they certainly do.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 06:06:19 PM »
I totally want one some day. Nothing too fancy, just a 30-seater (ok, 12 would be fine). Don't need a special screen, I've found that just painting the wall white is sufficient. Must be a completely dark room; when we had a projector it was AWESOME at night, but during the day...not so much. It wouldn't be hard at all to replicate a really good sound too; small room = less powerful speakers needed. I might want a popcorn machine though, just can't quite replicate the taste with microwave popcorn (though if I can find stovetop popcorn I may try that).

One could easily go overboard with this. But with a sub $1,000 projector, $10 gallon of paint, some cheap seats (super bonus points if you get them cheap/free when a local theater is renovating/closing)...all you really need is an extra living room that's completely dark at all times (may be a bit harder if you don't have a basement). If you go to the movies once a month at $60 a pop (which, let's face it, would be on the low end if you have kids), that's $720/yr. If you do it frugally (and not buy top of the line everything, tens of thousands in renovations to create the perfect room, etc.) I can see such a thing paying for itself within a few years or so (ok...maybe not "paying for itself," but saving money over the alternative).

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 01:10:20 AM »
I might want a popcorn machine though, just can't quite replicate the taste with microwave popcorn (though if I can find stovetop popcorn I may try that).

Popcorn is popcorn. Just dump some in a (metal) bowl, add oil and salt, cover it with aluminum foil (with some holes in it) and hold it over the stovetop with some tongs until it's popped.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 06:39:50 AM »
Okay, people. But, where will you put the swimming pool then?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 10:53:12 AM »

I figure I'll have the swimming pool inside the theater - nothing like sitting in one of these and watching my favorite movie.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »
It's pretty fun to build and you don't have to go all.  Here is mine i built awhile back.

I've upgraded to a 1080p projector but its the same setup pretty much.

Honestly this is a place if/when I buy a house I will almost assuredly do something like this - http://www.avsforum.com/t/982083/landsharks-small-yet-cozy-home-theater-thread

It's been a dream of mine for many years and I would absolutely LOVE to DIY a theater type room in any future home I purchase.

:)

SMP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 12:06:46 AM »
I have to admit, that i want to have a Movie Theatre in my House.
I wanted it since  I was 18, now I am 30 and still love films and tv series.
I think if the rest of the house is done, I will focus of creating a room for myself in the basement, including a projector (4K then, hopefully) and at least 7.2 surround sound (with DIY-speakers).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 07:03:33 AM »
I have a movie theater in my home.  It's called the living room.  We've got a nice sound system, a good subwoofer, and a gigantic 52 inch TV.  Sure, my screen is much smaller than a theater screen . . . but I also sit much closer to it that I would at a theater, so it evens out more or less.  My sound setup is much better than the sound in the last few theaters I've been to . . . although this might have to do with the fact that it's perfectly set up for the few spots that people regularly sit in the living room.

Frankly I've never been impressed with theater seats.  I prefer to watch movies with my feet up, reclining on my leather couch . . .

avonlea

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 07:46:15 AM »
Hey, oldtoyota.  Just wanted to say that I don't get it either.  You aren't the only one. :) 

I don't even like big tv's.  We have a 42 inch screen and I think it's kind of ridiculous.  I wanted the 32 inch.  Ah, well.  You win some, you lose some.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 07:47:28 AM »

I figure I'll have the swimming pool inside the theater - nothing like sitting in one of these and watching my favorite movie.

That is good. I like floaties.

SMP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 11:42:23 AM »
I have a movie theater in my home.  It's called the living room.

Right. If there isn't a projector - it's just a living room! ;-)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 11:50:25 AM »
I think this in a nutshell might be why such much personal debt exists.

There tends to be a correlation in people's minds between things they "want" and things they "need," to the point where it becomes. 'I had a hard morning, I NEED a latte." Whereas, no, you merely 'want' a latte and your mind is conjuring reasons to justify the expense of it.

No one here NEEDS a movie theater unless you someone are a projectionist by trade/living or have rare condition that requires your body to be around a movie theater lest your existence turn into dust.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »
Of course you don't need one.  Certainly not a dedicated movie theater.  But if you multipurpose a room such that it CAN be a theater or a game room, etc. then go for it with my blessings.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »
In the US, used electronics are dirt cheap on Craigslist. You can pick up all the stuff you need just a couple  years old for pennies on the dollar. If you have the space for it, why not?  In Australia these days very single model home in the country has a fabulous home theater. They are huge selling points.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 04:24:50 AM »
In the US, used electronics are dirt cheap on Craigslist. You can pick up all the stuff you need just a couple  years old for pennies on the dollar. If you have the space for it, why not?  In Australia these days very single model home in the country has a fabulous home theater. They are huge selling points.

Aren't home prices in Australia insanely high as well?
;)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 08:14:45 AM »
I might want a popcorn machine though, just can't quite replicate the taste with microwave popcorn (though if I can find stovetop popcorn I may try that).

Popcorn is popcorn. Just dump some in a (metal) bowl, add oil and salt, cover it with aluminum foil (with some holes in it) and hold it over the stovetop with some tongs until it's popped.

While I agree 100% with your methodology, I gotta say the whole "popcorn is popcorn" totally got to me.  Microwave popcorn is an abomination and is not popcorn.  It smells great, tastes like crap and contains all sorts of ingredients I cannot pronounce.

DCUrbanMM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 10:04:50 AM »
After I read the article below, I just had to wonder how someone thinks they need a movie theatre in their house? These luxury condo owners must just laugh and laugh at these people (after they take their money, of course).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/condo-monium-demand-is-up-for-luxury-units-in-the-washington-area/2013/09/27/0ca7ae18-0f32-11e3-bdf6-e4fc677d94a1_story.html

I read the same article and thought the same thing - many face punches needed. 

I think for many people who live in lower cost of living cities (like the couple in the story from Cincinnati who moved to DC) it is easy to become accustomed to certain amenities and think you need them (my personal list of "needs" that are absurd - below).  Once you get used to it, it's tough to change.  This couple would have a very difficult time "downsizing" to my lifestyle just as I would struggle to "upgrade" to their lifestyle.  With more urban dwellers grown up in the suburbs, where things like home theaters might be fairly common, I think the trend will only continue.   

Not real needs when looking at apartments in the city:
1. Central Air Conditioning.  Chances are window units will work perfectly well. (if you even need air conditioning to begin with...)
2. Garage parking.  If you truly live in a city with some density, you will not be driving much.  Who would want to, when everything is walking/cycling distance?
3. In unit/building washer and dryer.  First, since you own a drying rack, you already have an in-unit dryer.  Second, even at the most outrageously expensive coin-op, a week of washing is no more than $5 per person.  You can do the math, but it is seldom worth paying extra for.
4. Doormen, security cameras, etc.  Do you see doormen at apartments in the ghetto? If you don't need them there, why would you need them in the swanky part of town.  If you're paranoid, invest in living on the second floor.
5. On-site superintendent. How many times in your entire life have you needed a tradesman to come to your home over night? If you like to lose your keys, stop doing that. 

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »
I'd like a nicer place to watch movies, but I can't justify the idea of a separate room and all the cost it would entail.  When we build our retirement house, a project for which we're preparing now, I do want to include a space for a bigger TV, surround sound, and plenty of storage for movies. 

In preparing for this house we're going to build, I regularly read another board about custom home building, and I'm given to understand that home theaters are kind of "so 1990s".  I'm not sure they'd be all that much help with resale. 

Greenbeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »
At $9.50 per ticket plus $2 extra for 3D glasses at the local theater, it cost $57.50 to go to the movies with my family of 5.

Projector from ebay: $600
DVD player from yardsale $15
Two bedsheets and three 2x4x10's $30
A trip to the library to get the latest movie on DVD $0

Pays for itself in 11 movies.

Could be seen as mustachian.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 05:27:53 PM »
At $9.50 per ticket plus $2 extra for 3D glasses at the local theater, it cost $57.50 to go to the movies with my family of 5.

Projector from ebay: $600
DVD player from yardsale $15
Two bedsheets and three 2x4x10's $30
A trip to the library to get the latest movie on DVD $0

Pays for itself in 11 movies.

Could be seen as mustachian.
To be argumentative, you've chosen the most expensive possible options for going out to the movie theater.  Here I can go to "the big movie theater" on a weekend morning or before 5:30 on a weekday for $5.  I can go to the second-run theater any evening for $2.  I've never seen a 3D movie, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I think I'm okay with that.  If I must-must-must go at an expensive time, I can buy $5 ticket from the rec association at my husband's office.  So, with just a bit of planning, your family of five could go to "the big theater" for $25 or the second-run theater for $10.  An expense, yes, but not $57 for one movie.   

In contrast, you've chosen the least expensive options for your at home theater:  Ebay purchased items, which may or may not be available to someone else at any given time.  At my library you could rent a movie for free, but you're not going to get anything recent -- at best, it might be Harry Potter 1 . . . or it might be on VHS.  Regardless, you'd get tired of their small selection in a hurry.  I'd suggest that a better option for comparison might be renting a Redbox movie for $1.25, which is still a pretty good deal. 

Anyway, it's not quite fair comparing the most expensive option in one category to the least expensive option in another category. 

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »
To be argumentative, you've chosen the most expensive possible options for going out to the movie theater.  Here I can go to "the big movie theater" on a weekend morning or before 5:30 on a weekday for $5.  I can go to the second-run theater any evening for $2.  I've never seen a 3D movie, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I think I'm okay with that.  If I must-must-must go at an expensive time, I can buy $5 ticket from the rec association at my husband's office.  So, with just a bit of planning, your family of five could go to "the big theater" for $25 or the second-run theater for $10.  An expense, yes, but not $57 for one movie.

To be (double?) argumentative...you do realize that not everyone has access to a movie theater for $2 or even $5 a ticket, right? The local movie theater charges $17 for adults, and $13.50 for kids (normal prices...not "Gold Class" which is much more expensive). Tuesdays are $10 days. If you sign up for their movie club, then adult tickets are $10 and kids are $9.50. For a family of four, that's a bare minimum of $39. And while concessions aren't mandatory, expect to spend $15 or so, and that's considered being thrifty (maybe even a bit cheap, if someone sees that you snuck in candy).

$39-$54 on the low end. High-end...well we haven't even touched on Gold Class. If you're lucky, that's $20pp plus food/concessions. It can go much higher.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 06:07:13 PM »

To be (double?) argumentative...you do realize that not everyone has access to a movie theater for $2 or even $5 a ticket, right? The local movie theater charges $17 for adults, and $13.50 for kids (normal prices...not "Gold Class" which is much more expensive). Tuesdays are $10 days. If you sign up for their movie club, then adult tickets are $10 and kids are $9.50. For a family of four, that's a bare minimum of $39. And while concessions aren't mandatory, expect to spend $15 or so, and that's considered being thrifty (maybe even a bit cheap, if someone sees that you snuck in candy).

$39-$54 on the low end. High-end...well we haven't even touched on Gold Class. If you're lucky, that's $20pp plus food/concessions. It can go much higher.

To be triple argumentative, you do realize that you don't have to watch movies, right?

Thomas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »

To be triple argumentative, you do realize that you don't have to watch movies, right?

I found that out when I had my first kid. My projector was put into storage some time in the second trimester and just came back out around her 4th birthday. It bothered me knowing it was in a box not getting used, but I didn't really miss the movies as much as the opportunity to play with hooking it all up.

We now have a play room with a blank wall that turns into a theater when we gather up pillows & turn on the projector. It's only DVD, no HD, but for kids movies it hasn't mattered yet. I've also got an OTA DTV box hooked up for watching games. It can be done for not much money at all.

Since this is the Antimustachian Wall of Shame, I'll admit that I watched the news (national & local) on it the first night it was hooked up.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 08:37:04 PM »

I found that out when I had my first kid. My projector was put into storage some time in the second trimester and just came back out around her 4th birthday. It bothered me knowing it was in a box not getting used, but I didn't really miss the movies as much as the opportunity to play with hooking it all up.

We now have a play room with a blank wall that turns into a theater when we gather up pillows & turn on the projector. It's only DVD, no HD, but for kids movies it hasn't mattered yet. I've also got an OTA DTV box hooked up for watching games. It can be done for not much money at all.

Since this is the Antimustachian Wall of Shame, I'll admit that I watched the news (national & local) on it the first night it was hooked up.

Speaking of antimustachian, I bought a projector 10 years ago, used it for about 4, and it's been in storage ever since.  The resolution is only 800x600, and it's noisy.  I did break it out one halloween to project some scary animations on tissue-paper covered windows (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJTwFxAMWAc)

I used to watch normal TV on it.  Problem is, it's too noisy and kind of a pain to set up in a non-ugly leave-it-out-all-the-time kind of way.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 01:39:01 AM »

To be quadumentative (get it? quad argumentative? hahahaha....um...ok, nevermind); we all do things that we don't HAVE to do. Point is, if going to the movies is a very important part of your life, and you can replicate most/all of that at home and save money, that's great!

Who am I to judge someone for what's important in their life? I'm sure there's a lot of people who shake their heads at how much we travel, when we could be spending that money on a bigger house, newer car, a better home theatre system, etc. Heck, they'd even have a point, financially speaking. Once we spend money on a trip, we'll never see a penny of that back (well, at least not directly). But a bigger house can be sold for more, a newer car can be sold for more (it'll still depreciate, but not more than a trip you took last year), home theatre system could possibly save you money if you like movies (and if you don't, you can recoup at least some of the costs on Craigslist), etc.

As long as they're not begging me for help to get through until the next payday, or otherwise affecting me negatively, I say live and let live. If they're able to spend less than they earn, I feel that any right I might have had to judge just flew right out the window (this would assume that they tried to be prepared for a normal emergency, i.e. enough savings to cover living expenses for a year would get the green light from me)

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 02:29:56 AM »
Someone gave us a new modern CRT TV a wee while ago as our massive one 24"? from the 80's blew up.

This new one is great for movies -picture seems to be a bit more clear than the old one, and it's very big, maybe 26"

The old CRT tv's seem to be bigger, as I think you need to get a 32" LCD to look about the same size as a 26" CRT.

It works well for movies, I run the sound through the old Hi-Fi, so it's quite loud and good quality.

I guess a projector would be nice one day when I'm really rich, but at the moment I still have a mortgage and don't have any savings so it certainly isn't something I'd buy now.

We don't watch TV, just a movie about once every month or so, so TV isn't a big importance in our lives.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 06:05:18 AM »
No offense, but wanting a room in your house devoted to spending 2 hour blocks sitting on your ass watching television seems to be the opposite of what the author of this blog is going for.  Why not rent that room out or use it for a side hustle instead of using it as a home theater? 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2013, 09:15:58 AM »
Hey, oldtoyota.  Just wanted to say that I don't get it either.  You aren't the only one. :) 

I don't even like big tv's.  We have a 42 inch screen and I think it's kind of ridiculous.  I wanted the 32 inch.  Ah, well.  You win some, you lose some.

Thank goodness there is someone else. =-)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2013, 09:19:38 AM »
No offense, but wanting a room in your house devoted to spending 2 hour blocks sitting on your ass watching television seems to be the opposite of what the author of this blog is going for.  Why not rent that room out or use it for a side hustle instead of using it as a home theater?

I think the author of the blog *has* a home theatre. Whether he does or not is not my point.

I don't think he has one on the scale of the one in the article referenced in the OP.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 09:40:55 AM »
Point is, if going to the movies is a very important part of your life, and you can replicate most/all of that at home and save money, that's great!

Who am I to judge someone for what's important in their life?

Isn't that the whole point of the blog? Not to judge others, but to reassess the stupid wasteful things that we all do and to continually optimize? to replace shallow wasteful spending that gives brief hedonic rushes of pleasure, with less expensive, more fulfilling, less wasteful choices that don't put you on the expensive and unfulfilling treadmill of hedonic adaptation?

Was everybody's life somehow meaningless before we had home theater projectors and Dolby 7.1 surround sound? Do you really get more value out of your existence by spending thousands of dollars to 'improve your viewing experience'? Is sitting in a loud dark room 'with' your family and friends a better bonding experience than when families sat around a radio together in the 1930s or a 21" TV in the 1980s? Is it really more than just expensive escapism?

And saying a home theater saves you money since you don't have to spend over $50 at a theater??? That's like saying we should all do meth (or better yet, cook our own) since it will save us $$$ over that expensive cocaine we'd otherwise buy... I'm being dramatic, but hopefully a few faces feel at least a little bit punched.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 09:42:17 AM »

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 03:22:45 PM »

I think the author of the blog *has* a home theatre. Whether he does or not is not my point.

I don't think he has one on the scale of the one in the article referenced in the OP.

Oh, that would just be awesome. If I could find proof he has a home theater, that'd really put them (posters saying a home theater is always stupid stupid stupid) in their place wouldn't it? But surely, as with most things I've tried searching for recently, it'll be nearly impossible to...what's that, first hit in google, are you serious??!!

Per http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/27/house-tour-mr-money-mustache_n_2761917.html

And despite being decorated on a budget, it's not too shabby -- the home incudes a basement theater, a studio, home gym in the basement and offices for the couple to work on their hobbies (such as blogging, of course). Mustache told us, "It's not the deprived, potato-sack-for-clothing lifestyle that people assume we must have when I tell them we only spend $25K per year for all the family's expenses, but it works for us!"

(bolding mine)

So by definition, a home theater, and a home gym, can indeed be Mustachian.

A lot of people here seem to be missing a key part of "Mustachianism." It doesn't mean you must eschew all luxury purchases (unless you're in debt, then all non-essentials must go). It means that you don't buy something just to buy something. You've sat down, figured what's important to you, and spend money on those things (but not willy-nilly, you still try to get the best bang for the buck; why spend $10k when $2k would bring just as much enjoyment?).

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 03:52:02 PM »

Oh, that would just be awesome. If I could find proof he has a home theater, that'd really put them (posters saying a home theater is always stupid stupid stupid) in their place wouldn't it? But surely, as with most things I've tried searching for recently, it'll be nearly impossible to...what's that, first hit in google, are you serious??!!

Per http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/27/house-tour-mr-money-mustache_n_2761917.html

And despite being decorated on a budget, it's not too shabby -- the home incudes a basement theater, a studio, home gym in the basement and offices for the couple to work on their hobbies (such as blogging, of course). Mustache told us, "It's not the deprived, potato-sack-for-clothing lifestyle that people assume we must have when I tell them we only spend $25K per year for all the family's expenses, but it works for us!"

(bolding mine)

A lot of people here seem to be missing a key part of "Mustachianism." It doesn't mean you must eschew all luxury purchases (unless you're in debt, then all non-essentials must go). It means that you don't buy something just to buy something. You've sat down, figured what's important to you, and spend money on those things (but not willy-nilly, you still try to get the best bang for the buck; why spend $10k when $2k would bring just as much enjoyment?).

However, a reference in an article calling it a home theatre, or indeed MMM himself calling it "the Theatre room," doesn't necessarily make it what is being discussed here, which are extravagant over the top single purpose rooms for TV/Movie watching.  If the room contains a TV and a 5.1 speaker system, then it's no more a revelation than MMM owning a TV, which we already knew he did based on their oft-mentioned Netflix habit.

I daresay the point the OP was trying to make was the extravagant luxury buttkicker-seat-included home theaters are almost never warranted.  None of us is MMM himself so none of us can say, but my takeaway from his articles is that a room with a TV and speaker system is to a theatre as found in the OP's link as a Toyota Matrix is to a Hummer.  One is decidedly mustachian, the other is not.  MMM could afford an SUV and gas for it to guzzle, so does that make it mustachian if he did it?  Nope.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 03:54:13 PM »

I am not sure of your point, but you do sound angry!

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »

Heh, good one! I was about to post about a former setup I had in our living room. Our bedroom closet shared the back wall, so all the electronic goodies were stored there (audio receiver, satellite receiver, etc.). Large plumbing pipe was used in the attic to run cables from the closet to the projector (power and hdmi cable), which was mounted on the ceiling. Wires were run from the closet to each speaker, again through the attic (except for the three front ones mounted on the wall, those were easy). And some white-paint on the wall (screens are nice but expensive). Result was absolutely no electronics cluttering up the floor area, nothing within kids' reach (they could write on the "screen", but I could just as easily wash and repaint if needed), no wires, nothin'. I did a pretty good job, if I say so myself.

Like I said, I WAS going to post that. I guess I'd better not. :)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 03:57:21 PM »

(bolding mine)

However, a reference in an article calling it a home theatre, or indeed MMM himself calling it "the Theatre room," doesn't necessarily make it what is being discussed here, which are extravagant over the top single purpose rooms for TV/Movie watching.  If the room contains a TV and a 5.1 speaker system, then it's no more a revelation than MMM owning a TV, which we already knew he did based on their oft-mentioned Netflix habit.

I daresay the point the OP was trying to make was the extravagant luxury buttkicker-seat-included home theaters are almost never warranted.  None of us is MMM himself so none of us can say, but my takeaway from his articles is that a room with a TV and speaker system is to a theatre as found in the OP's link as a Toyota Matrix is to a Hummer.  One is decidedly mustachian, the other is not.  MMM could afford an SUV and gas for it to guzzle, so does that make it mustachian if he did it?  Nope.

Thanks. Also, the article says this: "Gabriel Ross, 35, and his husband, Sean Broderick, 40, had grown comfortable in their Cincinnati single-family home, which included a movie theater, wine cellar and second kitchen in 4,500 square feet of living space."

I made an assumption that, by calling it a movie theatre, WaPo is referring to an actual real theatre. My assumption was supported (in my mind) by their second kitchen and their wine cellar. That is the point that has been confused and lost in this thread. To all--The point of this is not to say that your home theatre with a few chairs and a TV is bad. What you call a "theatre," I call my family room.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 04:13:04 PM »

But people are posting that it goes against everything that MMM stands for...well, no, obviously it doesn't. If we are to look solely at MMM for all of life's decisions, he'd say "Do you have any debt? Have plenty saved up? Then sure, a home theater is more than acceptable. Just don't go overboard, m'kay?" Okay okay...I doubt he'd say "m'kay".

Fair enough. But "almost never warranted" is different from "never warranted." Even then, what's the definition of luxury? If someone pays $50k for their mini home-theater, and I reproduce 92% of the experience for $5k...well, aren't we both spending more than we absolutely have to? And if the person spending $50k makes 20 times more than I do...well, that means I'm the spendypants, and they're not. Right?

You kinda make my point for me with MMM and an SUV. If someone wanted to buy an SUV just because they had the money...yikes! Though not automatically face-punch worthy (unless you're a baby seal, then feel free to punch away due to the environmental concerns). But the simple act of buying a gas-guzzling SUV is not automatically anti-mustachian. To determine that, we'd need to know a lot more other than "My idiot neighbor just bought an SUV, he's a dumbass!" What are their needs and their wants? How's their financial situation? No debt other than a small mortgage. They bought the SUV to haul four kids and two adults, plus the camper they bought (and they actually use the camper, 2-3 weekends a month, few weeks over summer)? Gas mileage ain't great but they crunched the numbers, and the money saved buying this gas-guzzling SUV instead of the in-vogue hybrid will more than pay for the extra fuel over the next 10 years (and the money saved is dumped in investment accounts, greatly stretching this time period out)? Well, not such a bad decision in my eyes.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 04:15:43 PM »
I am not sure of your point, but you do sound angry!

So much is lost when typing this out. Imagine Lewis Black saying that...but slightly exaggerated for comedic effect.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
You kinda make my point for me with MMM and an SUV. If someone wanted to buy an SUV just because they had the money...yikes! Though not automatically face-punch worthy (unless you're a baby seal, then feel free to punch away due to the environmental concerns).

See, that's where we're going to differ.  To me (and probably to others) buying an SUV pretty much IS always facepunch-worthy.

But the simple act of buying a gas-guzzling SUV is not automatically anti-mustachian. To determine that, we'd need to know a lot more other than "My idiot neighbor just bought an SUV, he's a dumbass!" What are their needs and their wants? How's their financial situation? No debt other than a small mortgage. They bought the SUV to haul four kids and two adults, plus the camper they bought (and they actually use the camper, 2-3 weekends a month, few weeks over summer)? Gas mileage ain't great but they crunched the numbers, and the money saved buying this gas-guzzling SUV instead of the in-vogue hybrid will more than pay for the extra fuel over the next 10 years (and the money saved is dumped in investment accounts, greatly stretching this time period out)? Well, not such a bad decision in my eyes.

Except under no circumstances WOULD the SUV even be financially advantageous.  MMM can afford to live in a large house if he wants with a gas guzzling car, so why doesn't he?  Because he's wary of hedonic adaptation and recognizes luxury is a drug and satisfaction from it is fleeting at best.  MMM's philosophy is NOT "if you can afford it and it makes you happy, then it's acceptable."  Time and again, the message has been "If you can afford it and you think it will make you happy, think again.  If it's a luxury and an extravagance, it almost certainly won't make you any happier."  It's literally the complete focus of several of the main page articles.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/22/what-is-hedonic-adaptation-and-how-can-it-turn-you-into-a-sukka/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/08/29/luxury-is-just-another-weakness/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/29/living-well-on-the-trailing-edge-of-luxury/

And to address the SUV directly:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/09/04/its-never-too-late-to-ditch-your-gas-guzzler/

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2013, 05:07:29 PM »
Except under no circumstances WOULD the SUV even be financially advantageous.

I vehemently disagree. Reword it to say usually, often, in most circumstances...but never? Saying "never" or "always" is very extreme. Which means I get to think of extreme examples that contradict that statement.

Let's say in your local area, you've found two vehicles that meet your needs (or, strongly-wants). One is a $1,000 SUV that gets 12mpg, the other is a $10,000 diesel truck that gets 25mpg. You drive an average of 30 miles per day (some days it's 0, others it's 300, we're just talking averages). 30 miles * 365 days in a year (you never, ever drive on leap day) is 10,950 miles in a year. We figure an average of $5/gallon for fuel (this can vary a lot, we've inflated it a bit to cover our butts in case there's another huge jump in fuel costs). The SUV at 12mpg would consume 912.5 gallons of fuel, costing $4,562.50. The diesel truck at 25mpg would consume 438 gallons of fuel, costing $2,190. The $10k truck "saves" you $2,372.50 per year...but remember it cost $9k more. That $9k would easily pay for four years of extra fuel costs. An extreme example, yes...but it can happen. And while the pricing may have been out of whack, so were the mpg figures (they do make SUVs that get more than 12mpg, you know).

MMM can afford to live in a large house if he wants with a gas guzzling car, so why doesn't he?  Because he's wary of hedonic adaptation and recognizes luxury is a drug and satisfaction from it is fleeting at best.  MMM's philosophy is NOT "if you can afford it and it makes you happy, then it's acceptable."  Time and again, the message has been "If you can afford it and you think it will make you happy, think again.  If it's a luxury and an extravagance, it almost certainly won't make you any happier."  It's literally the complete focus of several of the main page articles.

I may disagree with that, or try to argue our definition of luxury (luxury means something very different to a homeless person in a third world country and to a multi-billionaire in a first world country); but there's really only one response that I feel is appropriate here:

Well played, sir. Well played.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:12:44 PM by josetann »

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2013, 06:10:13 PM »
Nope, I didn't realize that.  I have multiple inexpensive movie options near me.  The cheapest is probably the drive in, which is about $8 per person, but you see a triple feature for that price.  I already knew I was never leaving here, but I do like it when I learn one more reason. 

You do have Redbox, don't you? 

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2013, 06:11:25 PM »
Duh, but my goal in life isn't spending the least amount of money possible.  It's getting what I want for the best value. 

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2013, 07:57:11 PM »
The theater nearest to me is a drive-in, costs $7.50/person for a double-feature (so $3.75/movie/person) and since it's a drive-in, they can't exactly stop you from bringing in a whole trunk's worth of snacks if you want to. Much better than $10+/person "fancy" theaters, especially if the weather is good.

I have to say, I disagree with some of this (Does that mean I get to be quintuple-argumentative? I lost count.):

I think for many people who live in lower cost of living cities (like the couple in the story from Cincinnati who moved to DC) it is easy to become accustomed to certain amenities and think you need them (my personal list of "needs" that are absurd - below).  Once you get used to it, it's tough to change.  This couple would have a very difficult time "downsizing" to my lifestyle just as I would struggle to "upgrade" to their lifestyle.  With more urban dwellers grown up in the suburbs, where things like home theaters might be fairly common, I think the trend will only continue.   

Not real needs when looking at apartments in the city:
1. Central Air Conditioning.  Chances are window units will work perfectly well. (if you even need air conditioning to begin with...)
2. Garage parking.  If you truly live in a city with some density, you will not be driving much.  Who would want to, when everything is walking/cycling distance?
3. In unit/building washer and dryer.  First, since you own a drying rack, you already have an in-unit dryer.  Second, even at the most outrageously expensive coin-op, a week of washing is no more than $5 per person.  You can do the math, but it is seldom worth paying extra for.
4. Doormen, security cameras, etc.  Do you see doormen at apartments in the ghetto? If you don't need them there, why would you need them in the swanky part of town.  If you're paranoid, invest in living on the second floor.
5. On-site superintendent. How many times in your entire life have you needed a tradesman to come to your home over night? If you like to lose your keys, stop doing that.
  • Central air conditioning is expensive to retrofit (and therefore might not be worth it from that perspective), but otherwise it tends to be much more efficient than window air conditioners (and more secure, if your windows are located within reach of someone on the ground)
  • The bigger benefit of an in-unit washer/dryer is convenience, not cost. Some might complain that it's unmustachian not to accept the hassle of schleping your laundry down the street, but there's no way you could get me to do it.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2013, 01:09:22 PM »
LoL!  Honestly beside the slightly lost of living space and you do everything yourself you can learn quite a bit.  Low voltage wiring, high voltage wiring, drywall/finishing, gas line moving, vent moving, networking, servers... list can go on and on.  I know quite a few of these in the first place as I do it at my FT job but I learned ALOT from finishing my home theatre.

blackjack

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2015, 08:23:37 PM »
I just built a HT room / rec room; best money I have spent; everything cost around $12,000 (if it wasn't for the wife I would have easily spent 2x that)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:38:43 PM by blackjack »

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2015, 09:11:25 PM »
Haven't read whole thread, but in our 1250 Sq ft home, DH set up a projector ($250, I think, maybe 300), hung it up on the ceiling of our living room from chains he set in the ceiling beams, hung a screen that rolls up  ($30 - 40?) on the far side of the room so it hangs in front of our 32 inch tv when it's pulled down,  and he attached it to chromecast so we can watch lots of fun stuff. Black king size bedsheets ($10 on ebay) are at the windows to block glare if necessary.  Soundbar delivers great sound ($?).  It works for our family. 

This thread reminds me that i should thank him more often for using his handy abilities for our family's enjoyment. We microwave regular popcorn kernels in paper bags  (1/4 cup for about 2.5 minutes).  Just did it today and each kid got his own bag of freshly popped corn. Bags were reused from something from work. The pool is right through the door of the living room, which leads to the backyard. That's where we spent the morning. 

Yes. My life is good.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2015, 12:03:22 AM »
We microwave regular popcorn kernels in paper bags

I feel stupid for not knowing this was possible. No more pre-bagged popcorn for me!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!