Author Topic: I had a major blowout today.  (Read 12479 times)

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I had a major blowout today.
« on: October 03, 2013, 12:46:12 AM »
A while ago I took an old sturmey archer 3 speed hub into my local bike shop to get a rim and spokes for it. (This is before I started reading Mr. Money Mustache.

He didn't have a rim in stock, but would try and get one for me. He'd been having some trouble getting one, looking into it for quite some time.

I decided to go into the bike shop to tell him that if he hadn't been able to get one yet, don't worry as I could save the money for my retirement.

He had managed to get one though, so I paid for it and the spokes which cost $120 ($60 for rim and $60 for 40 spokes at $1.50)

This was bad enough, but when I was having a browse, I saw a helmet I really liked

http://www.nutcasehelmets.com.au/products/nutcase-street-gen3-union-jack

It fitted well, and was comfortable. I justified it to myself saying that I ride my bike everyday as my primary mode of transport, and my old helmet was about 8 years old and didn't fit very well.
He sold it to me for $90 NZD which is less than the $99.95 AUD as shown on the website.

Really though today was some large expenses which I didn't need to make, please punch me now!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: I had a major blowout today.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:43:21 AM »
Provided you're going to attach the hub to a bike that you use . . . I'd consider that somewhat of an investment in bike maintenance.

If you're using a helmet regularly, you should be replacing it every 3-5 years.  An 8 year old helmet that doesn't fit properly is a good candidate for replacement.  I kinda think that cheap helmets do just as good a job as expensive ones . . . so maybe you could have picked up a cheapie for less . . . but whatever.

No real face punches there  . . . maybe just a gentle face slap?

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 08:00:27 AM »
I will give you a facepunch on the helmet.
If you need a helmet, fine, but dont succumb to impulse purchases in the store! Even if you liked it, had you researched it, you may have found a less expensive one of that model, or found another one you liked as well, for less money. comparison shop. or know ahead of time what price you want to spend on something you need, so that if you find a deal, you can go for it with confidence it is the best deal.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:10:22 AM »
-1 for impulse buying.

+1 for getting a helmet, and not a crack pipe.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 08:43:14 AM »
+1 for getting a helmet, and not a crack pipe.

Can't it be both?  We love to re-purpose stuff on this forum!

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »
I decided on that particular helmet becuase it had an adjustable ratchet strap which goes around the back of the head to keep the helmet secure. I've never seen a helmet of this style with one of those before, had been looking for probably about 8 years.

I wanted a BMX type helmet, as they're less uncool than a normal type helmet.

It was quite expensive, but I was going for looks, and still much cheaper than motorbike helmets?

At least I have a decent helmet now, I do spend over an hour and a half on the bike 5-7 days a week.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:58:22 PM by TygerTung »

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 11:06:39 AM »
Even if you liked it, had you researched it, you may have found a less expensive one of that model, or found another one you liked as well, for less money.

...or found that the one you want might not actually be very good at protecting your head in an impact:

http://bikeportland.org/2012/05/31/nutcase-bern-helmets-receive-poor-impact-rating-from-consumer-reports-72616

(for the record, I'm not saying it's clearly unsafe; it's possible that Consumer Reports doesn't know what they're talking about, but at the least it's a bit of information you didn't have when you made your impulse-buy.)

Rickk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 11:06:50 AM »
I decided on that particular helmet becuase it had an adjustable ratchet strap which goes around the back of the head to keep the helmet secure. I've never seen a helmet of this style with one of those before, had been looking for probably about 8 years.

I wanted a BMX type helmet, as they're less gay than a normal type helmet.

It was quite expensive, but I was going for looks, and still much cheaper than motorbike helmets?

At least I have a decent helmet now, I do spend over an hour and a half on the bike 5-7 days a week.

I am not going to let you off that easy on the helmet - go ahead and get it - but shop around!
I know you are not in the US - so this price isn't quite valid but did you check online????
http://www.amazon.com/Nutcase-Union-Jack-Bike-Helmet/dp/B004XYIQOG/ref=pd_sim_sg_5
Buying any accessory type things in a bike store is usually an exercise in wasting money.

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 10:18:59 PM »
You are right, I should have looked around a bit more. Turns out I actually got the cheapest option though as I havn't been able to get anything approaching the same price online. I do get a discount at my bike shop as I am a good customer and the old guy who owns it is quite nice.

It's good to support a shop with good service. I usually prefer to try helmets on first to make sure they fit properly.

I never buy tyres etc at a bike shop on account of them being much too expensive. We have a good online bike shop in New Zealand or sometimes I order from the UK.

drg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 07:48:03 AM »

What the fuck, are you 12 years old?  What mature adult calls any bike helmet "gay" in a derogatory fashion?
And helmets all must pass a certain safety standard, so less expensive ones are not necessarily less safe than expensive ones.

Two face punches for you, one for being a bigot and two for being a slave to fashion (and did you seriously buy a Union Flag helmet after stating that you were conscious about the appearance of your helmet? LOL)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 01:14:21 PM »
"I wanted a BMX type helmet, as they're less gay than a normal type helmet."

Totally agree with the last comment:  this type of slur is not acceptable.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 01:23:57 PM »
MODERATOR NOTE: Before the piling on that starts, let's make it clear now: that type of comment is not acceptable.  No more discussion on that is needed either way.  Posts commenting only on the pejorative used will be deleted.  Thanks.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 02:07:39 AM »
hm, just commenting on the helmet price. It doesn't really seem that bad :S Even shopping online, it's $60 US or $75 NZD. Shipping cost from US to NZ would be more than the $15 difference. Unless there's a cheaper shipping option that I'm unaware of.

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 03:50:49 AM »

What the fuck, are you 12 years old?  What mature adult calls any bike helmet "gay" in a derogatory fashion?
And helmets all must pass a certain safety standard, so less expensive ones are not necessarily less safe than expensive ones.

Two face punches for you, one for being a bigot and two for being a slave to fashion (and did you seriously buy a Union Flag helmet after stating that you were conscious about the appearance of your helmet? LOL)

Sorry, I apologise. In my country that statement means uncool, it isn't used to be derogatory. I don't have a problem with anyone sexuality.

Since I live in New Zealand, we are a British colony, so a union jack is suitable. I guess considering how the helmet looks makes me a slave to fashion.

It seems I have dodged the bullet in this instance, as there doesn't seem to be any way to get the helmet cheaper, but I will use it as a lesson next time to not impulse buy.

I did manage not to spend $2.80 on a Cantonese rice cake thing on the way home, even though I was really tired and hungry, so that was a good saving.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
Sorry, I apologise. In my country that statement means uncool, it isn't used to be derogatory. I don't have a problem with anyone sexuality.

It is often used to mean "uncool" in the US also, but its reason for meaning uncool is derived from being derogatory. Unless gay doesn't mean homosexual in your part of the world, that's probably the entomology there, too.

Richard3

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 11:34:47 PM »
We were a British colony bro, since the Statute of  Westminster (1947) we became a fully sovereign state. I'd rather have one with the Southern Cross on it if I was doing a flag helmet but whatever floats your boat.

What's the online bike shop URL? I just came home and am going to need a new helmet and probably some parts - my bike is about ten years old now so I need to price up repairs vs replace.

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 03:57:40 AM »
I often buy stuff off www.torpedo7.co.nz  But wait until there is a sale on whatever you want to buy, as they are frequent. I have also brought stuff off ribble cycles http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ they are cheaper for cycling shoes, but you need to order a reasonable amount of stuff to make the shipping worthwhile. For lights get them off www.dx.com, free shipping, but sometimes it takes a while.

I would get a southern cross helmet if such a thing was available, but I've never seen one.

perthcyclist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • perthcyclist blog
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 02:39:17 AM »
all new helmets have the 'ratchet strap' thingy at the back that keep it on firmly... unless you look to buy your next helmet at K-mart or the like... :/

also I guess you don't need air vents being in NZ, but those nutcase helmets are like ovens... also be careful with it, a friend of mine got the 'melon' one and the design scratches off it if you aren't careful where you put it down etc

other bike shops that are awesome

http://www.wiggle.co.uk
http://www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 08:08:42 AM »
Two comments -
Are BMX helmets really seen as cooler than 'normal' bicycle helmets?  I would have said that only tools wear BMX helmets.

helmet safety - The difference between a $25 and $300 bicycle helmet is 0 in terms of safety.  The $300 helmet will be lighter and allow more air flow, allowing for more rider comfort (and less overheating in a race situation).  I have found the difference between $25->$50 to be worth it in comfort, but I don't believe anything could make a $300 helmet worthwhile.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 01:21:03 AM »
I just purchased a third bike today. Kona DR Good. Face punch me now.

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 03:15:11 AM »
Two comments -
Are BMX helmets really seen as cooler than 'normal' bicycle helmets?  I would have said that only tools wear BMX helmets.

helmet safety - The difference between a $25 and $300 bicycle helmet is 0 in terms of safety.  The $300 helmet will be lighter and allow more air flow, allowing for more rider comfort (and less overheating in a race situation).  I have found the difference between $25->$50 to be worth it in comfort, but I don't believe anything could make a $300 helmet worthwhile.

I think they're more fashionable though, less dorky. Actually I havn't found it to be too hot. you're right though the paint does scratch.

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 03:23:54 AM »
I just purchased a third bike today. Kona DR Good. Face punch me now.

Looks expensive. Really, you should have got an old road frame, mountain bike frame or whatever and built that up. Could have been cheaper. My current commuter probably owes me about $190 including new tyres etc. It is fixed wheel though, I see you have the 8 speed hub. You probably don't need an 8 speed hub in Christchurch on account of it being flat.

I suppose it would have paid for itself after a month or two of non car ownership though, so it's not as bad, but still.....