Author Topic: i got paid for trash  (Read 5798 times)

ariapluscat

• Bristles
i got paid for trash
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:47:19 AM »
someone just bought an empty iPhone 7 box from me for $15 off of eBay. it's truly amazing.

i have some other 'expensive' or 'branded' packaging that i had been hoarding from the recycling bin of my apartment building. i like using the nicer bags to carry things that i'm dropping off, but now i think i might sell them. 

boyerbt

• Bristles
Re: i got paid for trash
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »
Is it possible that the person somehow thought that there were getting the actual phone for $15? I don't understand why anyone would want just the box.

Who knows though...one man's trash...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »
Maybe the buyer wants to sell a fake iPhone.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 11:04:26 AM »
Or even a real one - the buyer probably has an iPhone they want to sell, and they know they can get more for it if they can sell it as boxed.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 11:27:55 AM »
Is it possible that the person somehow thought that there were getting the actual phone for $15? I don't understand why anyone would want just the box.

i hope not. i had several photos and it's pretty clear that it's just the box, charger, and some older earpods (not airpod)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 11:33:29 AM »

i hope not. i had several photos and it's pretty clear that it's just the box, charger, and some older earpods (not airpod)

Charger is probably worth at least 10, assuming it is the wall plug and cable.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »

Apple 12W USB Power Adapter
$19.00

Another $20 for the cable. Original Apple products are expensive. That guy got a good deal on a pair of apple headphones and an OEM charger. You could have got another $10 probably.

Charger is probably worth at least 10, assuming it is the wall plug and cable.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 01:21:12 PM »
Or even a real one - the buyer probably has an iPhone they want to sell, and they know they can get more for it if they can sell it as boxed.
Maybe the buyer wants to sell a fake iPhone.

These were my thoughts.  And it sounds like you could have gotten more based on the accessories you included.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »
nope, i looked up how much 'used' wall adapter sells for. it's usually less than $5, although some ppl do manage closer to $9. there's also no lightning cable which i was clear about.

whether i could get a higher price - probably, but i need to get rid of everything before my move.

you can search ebay for sold listings of "iphone box only" and see for yourself that empty boxes without accessories also sell for more than $0.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 01:56:39 PM »

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 02:13:03 PM »
This Montreal-based trash picker makes a living by selling trash, and some of his finds are truly amazing - gold and silver jewelry, coins, collectibles, electronics, etc.:

https://garbagefinds.com/

Last winter, there was a huge pile of plastic garbage bags outside an old duplex nearby.  I was 100% sure that it was an estate clear-out.  Had it not been minus a gazillion degrees outside, and had I had an ounce more time and inclination, I would have rescued a bag or two to investigate.  I am still kicking myself for not doing it.

Anyway, we sold our broken Samsung TV the other day for $20, after taking the whole thing apart and troubleshooting to try to find the problem.  One person's trash is indeed another person's treasure.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
This Montreal-based trash picker makes a living by selling trash, and some of his finds are truly amazing - gold and silver jewelry, coins, collectibles, electronics, etc.:

Last winter, there was a huge pile of plastic garbage bags outside an old duplex nearby.  I was 100% sure that it was an estate clear-out.  Had it not been minus a gazillion degrees outside, and had I had an ounce more time and inclination, I would have rescued a bag or two to investigate.  I am still kicking myself for not doing it.

Anyway, we sold our broken Samsung TV the other day for $20, after taking the whole thing apart and troubleshooting to try to find the problem.  One person's trash is indeed another person's treasure.

that site is terrifying. i do my best to reuse and reduce, like turning old laundry detergent plastic into planters or just using store bags multiple times. but throwing away - not even trying to properly dispose of - electronics? that's so scary.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 03:11:03 PM »
Unfortunately, the majority of people don't care about recycling or what they put in their garbage.  It is scary.  Out of sight, out of mind, for most people.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 08:41:14 AM »

that site is terrifying. i do my best to reuse and reduce, like turning old laundry detergent plastic into planters or just using store bags multiple times. but throwing away - not even trying to properly dispose of - electronics? that's so scary.

I have never thought about keeping the boxes that my stuff comes in. But my DH has kept the boxes of some of his photo lenses. He thinks this is smart in case he wants to sell them later.

In our community we are supposed to be able to deliver used electronics to a whatever shop that sells similar products. So we never need to travel far. We also recycle plastic, paper, glass, metal etc. I personally keep all the plastic shopping bags, even though nowadays I always have my own carry bags in my hand bag. I use those bags on trips and otherwise as garbage bag.

garbagefinds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Things I find in the garbage
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 12:40:43 PM »
I'm the garbage blog dude, thanks Meghan for sharing it!

Empty boxes are indeed worth money. Not sure why exactly, but it probably has something to do with resale value, plus they are really sturdy and good to ship in.

Some vintage boxes are worth really good money. A while back I found an old Tudor (basically a lower priced Rolex, made by Rolex) watch box that was in really nice condition. It sold for 180$ if you can believe that. I've also sold vintage Omega watch boxes for between 50 and 80$, and that's despite them having dirty / no interiors. An old Tiffany box went for 50$, newer Tiffany boxes go for around 20$, the list goes on...

It's really hard to believe what people pay money for. I've learned most of what I know by looking up everything (well, not everything but a lot) on eBay's completed / sold listings. Almost all the info you ever need will be there, and if you do it often enough you can start making money regularly from flipping or garbage picking.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 07:11:38 PM »
Your blog is very inspiring.  You take great photos too.  All the stuff that you divert from landfill is a total win-win-win.  I am a very happy follower.

herotomo69

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »
This thread reminded me of my recent beer find. My SO is into the craft beers, and I knew the Zombie Dust from Three Floyds was one of her favorites. Spent a bit of time looking for a store that not only carried it but had it in stock. But in my search I discovered people were selling the bottles, caps and the six-pack carrying case for $10 on eBay. So she will be opening the bottles very carefully and then reselling the empties!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:53:14 PM by herotomo69 »