Author Topic: I care about sports- Facepunch Time  (Read 16388 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
I care about sports- Facepunch Time
« on: April 19, 2016, 06:53:47 PM »
Alright fellas,

I care about sports and sports figures. I follow my alma mater's football, basketball, and hockey teams quite regularly and try to watch a good amount of their games. When they win I feel happy, when they lose I feel miserable, like it actually has a physical impact on my daily life. Of course it doesn't. I don't go to games so I don't think my passion costs me money, it helps that I'm too frugal to buy a lawn sign because their prices a WAY higher than what I care to pay for it, but it takes up space in my head and my time and it affects my emotional state so would love for advice for not caring so much about my school/team.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
Re: I care about sports- Facepunch Time
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:34:19 PM »
Will anyone live or die on the outcome?

Will cancer be caused or cured on the outcome?

Will it be famine or a bumper harvest on the outcome?

Will it be war or peace / liberty or tyranny on the outcome?

Nope.  So I don't give a shit what any sports team does.

Perspective helps.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:37:09 PM by No Name Guy »

yakamashii

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 11:12:19 PM »
Find something else to do on game day/game time. Decide that other things are more important, and that the sport and school go on without you. Wean yourself off of it and don't beat yourself up too much.

Former baseball junkie here. Loved baseball so much I dedicated my life to getting a job in MLB, and succeeded at doing that for several years. Had to get fooled thrice to see that baseball didn't love me as much as I loved it. This will be Season #4 out of the game. My progression:

2006-2011: Live and die with my team's results in search of that elusive World Series ring. At workouts and games all day, MLBTV all night.
Midseason 2012: Quit my last job in the game. Keep MLBTV subscription, watch a few games a week, watch all playoff/WS games.
2013: Subscribe to MLBTV, but watch only the last week of season and playoffs. Attend one live game.
2014: Drop MLBTV subscription. Catch what parts of playoffs I can. Attend one live game.
2015: No live games. No playoffs. Just read articles about a few of my favorite players, and crunch stats.
2016: Down to stats only, and fading fast. The interest just isn't there.

I no longer live in the US. My wedding anniversary and some important birthdays usually fall in the last week of the season and during the World Series. October is usually a busy time for the work I do now. These things all helped me refocus my attention on things that matter more to me than baseball.

It's entertaining to watch people do things, athletically, that nobody you know can do. I've stood next to some of the best players of baseball, golf, soccer and volleyball on the planet while they do their thing, and it's other-worldly. The thump you feel in your chest when a hitter connects, that drama you experience when the ball finds its way to the goal or the hole or the floor or whatever - great stuff. Worth paying for, in moderation. But not what makes life worth living.

So little of the pursuit of athletic excellence, fame, money or anything else has to do with individual fans, and it will continue whether fans are passionately rooting from their living room or checking the official website every day or not. See the game for what it is - entertainment. Not life.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 11:14:48 PM by yakamashii »

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 12:19:26 AM »
Have you ever thought about why universities have teams to begin with? I mean, really, what does a football team have to do with getting an education? Sure, intramural teams make sense for fitness, camaraderie, bla bla bla. But an intramural league costs a tiny fraction of the amount spent on intercollegiate sports.

I think the primary reason college teams exist is for branding purposes - in part for prospective students, but more so for alumni. The big money in US universities is not tuition, it's the endowment which relies on financial gifts from alumni. You could go off the grid and virtually disappear and I'm positive your alumni association would still track you down to let you know about the super exciting fundraising event they're having next month. The college application process is a pain in the ass because they want you to feel grateful if/when you're accepted. The sports are designed to make you feel further connected, to wrap your identity up with your alma mater. This makes it more likely that you'll ascribe your success to your school, which means you're likely to give more.

Maybe if you see it for what it is you'll be less interested :)

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 07:23:15 AM »
TL;DR: Find other things to do with your time, and your obsession will fade.

I used to be obsessed with watching sports. I'd spend hours each day crunching numbers and watching film for fantasy football, studying the backs of baseball cards to memorize player career stats, and purchasing tickets to every. single. game that my hometown teams would play in my current location (baseball, basketball, and hockey).

Over the last few years I've steadily spent more and more time actually playing sports that I rarely have enough time in the day to watch sports.

I play on a couple of beer league softball teams (don't laugh, sometimes it can get competitive), and I play pick up basketball at the gym. I have a few other things (outside sports) on my plate as well that I simply have to prioritize those over watching sports.

In 2015 and so far in 2016, I have spent $0 on sports tickets/channel subscriptions. However, I still found myself at around a dozen games (mostly local D1 college hockey, and a football game) due to people/organizations giving me free tickets. I thoroughly enjoy it, and my wallet is better off for it.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 07:29:59 AM »
If you can transfer some of your fan-atic energy into activities you are involved with personally, that will help.

(It really helps that my alma mater isn't an NCAA school, so supporting those teams happens to be really cheap for me.)

elindbe2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 07:35:55 AM »
My advice is don't be such a puritan.  If you like something and it isn't extremely harmful to you, then enjoy it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:37:48 AM by elindbe2 »

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 04:51:31 PM »
 Yep, if you are a fan, enjoy the experience.  Harbaugh is quite a good recruiter so it should make the B1G east very tough.

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 07:12:34 PM »
Bread and circus, keeps the sheeple distracted.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 08:59:29 PM »
No advice, just want to point out that this post would make any Stoic proud. Sports teams' performance falls squarely on the list of "Things you have no control over." Most people aren't self aware enough to realize there's no point getting worked up over it.

faramund

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 02:48:56 AM »
I'm a great believer in moderation. There's nothing wrong with enjoying almost anything, as long as its not harmful and it doesn't become obsessive.

I have a sports team that I like to follow - but if that took up more than 4 hours a week, I'd be surprised, and I consider that aspect of my life to be a 'fine thing'.

On the other hand, alcoholics can't drink in moderation. Maybe you're similar with sports, i.e. all in, or nothing. Still, if that's what it is, it seems like a shame.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 02:56:31 PM »
I used to live and die by the NBA. I have not watched a single playoff game this year. My interest faded for a few reasons, but my former favorite team being bought by a guy I despise certainly helped, along with having a child and cutting cable TV.

I still watch football and MLB, but the interest there has been waning too. I think part of it is getting older, but I also think the nature of the sports business has been disillusioning. NCAA sports, especially, I find difficult to watch considering how dirty the programs can be. I used to be a sports blogger(NBA, NCAAF, NFL), and I noticed the trend where most of what I was writing about was rape allegations, poor sportsmanship, etc... Combine that with the concussion issue and I might be done with college sports.

Meh, I would not be surprised if 5 years from today I did not watch sports at all.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 03:02:46 PM »
We switched to solely streaming our TV several years back. $60 vs $20 per month.

My wife is a baseball fan. I offered to get a subscription to MLB.tv when that became available on the Roku but she said no thanks, and listens the games on the radio.

She's more MMM than I am. ;)

She likes to do chores while she listens. For free.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 05:36:50 PM »

Well, that sounds very generous of her! :)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 05:47:17 PM »
I do my chores for free too... ;)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 07:34:58 PM »
You obviously really emotionally identify with sports players, teams, and/or fans.

The question is why?

What emotional need, exactly, are you filling via sports?

The need to feel like you:

1.  "belong to the group"?
2.  "have stuff to talk to with other sports folks?"  (a variation on #1)
3.  "feel like a winner"
4.  "feel like a real man?"  (or whatever is appropriate)

Sports is feeding some need.

If you figure out what that need is and fill it some other way, you won't miss sports when you leave it behind.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 08:30:48 PM »
I just watched Jake Arrieta throw a no-hitter, so I'm in no position to judge you right now.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 01:15:40 AM »
Bread and circus, keeps the sheeple distracted.
This.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 02:59:00 AM »
You're not killing anybody though
I don't see a problem unless
1- it's an obsession
2- it's a big money drain
I'm not a big sports guy but I love nba playoff basketball.
It's a great entertainment for me, like watching a movie or something.
I appreciate the athletic prowess of the players and I'm fascinated by their skills.
What's the deal here?
We can't be productive 100% of the time and both body and mind need some rest/escape, especially while working 10-12 hours a day (which I hope will end soon).
If you manage to balance your sports watching with the rest of your life I don't see why you should be face punched.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 06:16:52 AM »
I just watched Jake Arrieta throw a no-hitter, so I'm in no position to judge you right now.

I watched it too so I am of no help in this situation :).

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 06:58:47 AM »
I used to get emotionally involved in our local professional sports teams in the Boston area ... Bruins, Patriots, Red Sox, etc.
I'd be happy if they won and it would ruin my day if they lost.
After awhile I realized that ...  I don't personally know any of the players on any of the teams.  They are all mercenaries
and will switch teams in a few years for bigger salaries.  Why???
Family and friends are worth emotional investment instead.

I've since slept much better and maintain a modest curiosity in the teams, only.  I have a better life balance and am much happier.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 08:44:48 AM »
Thanks everyone. I've gotten much better, almost 5 years ago I remember calling in sick from work on a Monday because I was unhappy my NFL sports team lost in the playoffs, and even then the boss knew I was hesitant to talk about the game when I came in on Tuesday. I remember a time when if my college team lost I would not want to do anything that entire weekend because I was down. It's really silly, actually it was pathetic and I'm a lot better about it.

That said, I know that I will be more involved once August rolls around and another football season will start. It doesn't cost me a lot in money because I don't go to games (didn't spring for a ticket when they came into town this past October), and don't go to bars because I really don't drink all that much anymore. But I have scheduled events around my sports schedule, and that is something that I will stop.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 07:06:13 PM »
I was an avid sports nut... more playing than watching, but still watch quite a bit, in my younger days.

These days I'll watch Toronto teams on and off but honestly I could care less... water cooler talk here and there with co-workers but if there were no Toronto pro sports team I would not lose a wink of sleep.

I'll still go watch the odd game live here and there with friends though as it is nice quality time.

Winning or losing has ZERO bearing on my daily happiness or enjoyment in life.  Even the rec league sports I play... winning or losing has zero bearing on my overall happiness.  Look at the big picture... think about it for a bit... you're affecting your overall life happiness over a bunch of grown men put a ball in a hoop or net or something similar... think about it.

I can't believe the idiotic soccer fans who kill over this and that team... absurd braindead morons.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 12:25:07 AM »
I'd rather play than watch. Watching other people play sports bores the living daylights out of me except when it's someone I know and really care about.

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 01:47:42 PM »
We switched to solely streaming our TV several years back. $60 vs $20 per month.

My wife is a baseball fan. I offered to get a subscription to MLB.tv when that became available on the Roku but she said no thanks, and listens the games on the radio.

She's more MMM than I am. ;)

I did something similar. I got rid of cable 4 years ago to free up time for more important things. The only sport I like is baseball and I decided to only listen to the games on the radio as it would allow me to do something else at the same time. And once or two times a week I read a blog related to the team to see where they stand. That's it! No more drama and self-imposed stress on something that is completely out of my control. I still go to 3-5 games during the baseball season as it's fun to share the experience with others.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:50:12 PM by thestoicstudent »

redcedar

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2016, 03:27:36 PM »
I believe that I first heard this from ex ESPN radio host Colin Cowherd - as your life fills up with things that really matter to you, sports will become less of a priority.

What matters is different for all of us. For some its family and kids. Others it's a job or being self employed. For some it's travel.

Point being is that you should focus hard on filling your life with so many things  the that sports becomes a lower priority.

I watch maybe just 1/5 of the sports that I used to watch just 10 years ago. Now don't get me wrong. I am just as passionate as ever. Give me a great college or pro football game and I am all in on yelling at the tv and having a round of hard high fives with the fellas when we score. But once the game is over, I could go a week or more without thinking about sports.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 04:48:25 PM »
Thanks everyone. I've gotten much better, almost 5 years ago I remember calling in sick from work on a Monday because I was unhappy my NFL sports team lost in the playoffs, and even then the boss knew I was hesitant to talk about the game when I came in on Tuesday. I remember a time when if my college team lost I would not want to do anything that entire weekend because I was down. It's really silly, actually it was pathetic and I'm a lot better about it.

That said, I know that I will be more involved once August rolls around and another football season will start. It doesn't cost me a lot in money because I don't go to games (didn't spring for a ticket when they came into town this past October), and don't go to bars because I really don't drink all that much anymore. But I have scheduled events around my sports schedule, and that is something that I will stop.

So there are 2 aspects here... one is mustachian, i.e. spending money / time on sports, the other is emotional / psychological, and I'm not sure how much we can help there.
From a financial point of view, if you are not spending an insane amount of money on sports, it's likely a non-issue (however, I would argue that any money spent is an issue unless it improves the quality of your life)
From a psychological point of view - if you're unable to control your emotional response to a stimulus (in this case the stimulus is sports, the emotional response is your reaction to a win / loss) - remove the stimulus from your life altogether. I went to a school that apparently had a sports team or three, and are apparently even good at some of them. But the reason I went to that school is for my degree. Once said degree was obtained, I was done - I never want to have any interaction with the school again. It does not define who I am, and its minions in uniforms on a field that bring it more $$ certainly don't define me.
I only follow sports I actually play - that means I follow Auto Racing and Ballroom Dance (I compete ballroom and SCCA Solo 2 autocross). I just don't see how spending a single minute on a sport that I don't personally enjoy participating in will in any way impact my life.
So ask yourself this - do you currently play on your alma mater's teams? (likely not if you're still a student) Does anyone you know? Friends? Family? If the answer is no, then the result of their game will have absolutely no impact on your life. It MAY have an impact on your emotion. Unless you can control that impact perfectly - as in be HAPPY when they lose because, hey, they played a great game - then remove it from your life altogether. You'll find that it's easier to completely shut out all their results rather than just follow scores and not watch a game, etc etc.
Find out something that consistently makes you happy (even marginally) and do that activity when a game is on - you'll know you're missing the game, and you'll know you'll be happy from the activity you're doing, regardless of outcome.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 06:57:47 PM »
Its tough to give up sports at first.  But once you realize you missed such and such game, and your life went on and you are just fine, it really helps you move on.  I was a huge NHL fan growing up and into my mid 20s, not unusual for a Canadian, but then I just moved on with other priorities in life, and I haven't missed it at all.  I couldn't even tell you who won the Stanley Cup last year...this is highly unusual information for a male Canadian in his 30's not to know, but there are others out there.  You only care about sports because they are important to you, once you realize they aren't really that important, you'll find it's ok to move on. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 07:54:15 PM »
Its tough to give up sports at first.  But once you realize you missed such and such game, and your life went on and you are just fine, it really helps you move on.

You're right. My school's team was in town and I didn't go and that game ended with my team's defense having a goal-line stand and valiantly ran out the clock. I didn't even watch it because I was at a party and while that would have been fun to watch, I had a ton of fun at my friend's parties. Had I gone to the game I likely wouldn't have gone out to the parties.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2016, 11:49:57 AM »
Will anyone live or die on the outcome?

Will cancer be caused or cured on the outcome?

Will it be famine or a bumper harvest on the outcome?

Will it be war or peace / liberty or tyranny on the outcome?

Nope.  So I don't give a shit what any sports team does.

Perspective helps.

Doesn't your list apply to pretty much everything that most people do for the entirety of their lives?  If I followed your list, I wouldn't care about anything that happens to me ever.

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2016, 11:34:43 AM »
Alright fellas,

I care about sports and sports figures. I follow my alma mater's football, basketball, and hockey teams quite regularly and try to watch a good amount of their games. When they win I feel happy, when they lose I feel miserable, like it actually has a physical impact on my daily life. Of course it doesn't. I don't go to games so I don't think my passion costs me money, it helps that I'm too frugal to buy a lawn sign because their prices a WAY higher than what I care to pay for it, but it takes up space in my head and my time and it affects my emotional state so would love for advice for not caring so much about my school/team.

Heh.  I can relate to this.  (And I've dropped literally thousands on tickets over the years, including an ill fated trip to the BCS championship a few years ago.)  It's weird, I have gone in phases.  When I graduated 25+ years ago, I was still really into it.  Then I went 10+ years where I didn't really care much or pay much attention.  Then a few years ago, I started getting together with old friends for games at least once a year, and that rekindled my interest.

Luckily, my impact is generally financial and not physical.  I get over the losses pretty quickly.  But it is a huge time suck where I plan every Saturday around the games.  I'm also a big fan of our local pro team, so I end up sucking up Sunday too.  And the financial is pretty big too.  I'd rather not add up what I've dropped on sports tickets (and travel costs) over the years.