Author Topic: I can't do it anymore...  (Read 36950 times)

bugbaby

• Bristles
Re: I can't do it anymore...
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2014, 10:40:03 PM »
Is anyone finding it ironic that OP started a thread about the absurdities on the forum such as the bidet nazis, and now we've tangented off into treatise on the frontiers of toilet innovation?

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2014, 07:27:49 AM »
Is anyone finding it ironic that OP started a thread about the absurdities on the forum such as the bidet nazis, and now we've tangented off into treatise on the frontiers of toilet innovation?

The OP was referring to those people he finds morally dubious, not the bidet nazis. 

The douche (pardon the pun...I couldn't help it) who mentioned the bidet thing was someone else who then had a meltdown and decided to leave.

I can understand the confusion since bidet guy is quoted as "B" and then changed his name before he melted.

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2014, 12:53:19 PM »
Maybe we need MMM Gold - members with over 100 posts get access, or pay a $6 annual fee or whatever.
I love the idea of a part of the forum with an annual fee. Just so long as anybody subscribing can't post in the main forums...it would be a good test!

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2014, 06:39:02 PM »
Maybe we need MMM Gold - members with over 100 posts get access, or pay a $6 annual fee or whatever.
I love the idea of a part of the forum with an annual fee. Just so long as anybody subscribing can't post in the main forums...it would be a good test!

The question is would the true mustachians pay $6/year to belong to a forum?  I don't belong to forums I have to pay for. :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2014, 06:50:01 PM »

The question is would the true mustachians pay $6/year to belong to a forum?  I don't belong to forums I have to pay for. :)

It's not to "belong to a forum" it's to belong to a super elite subsection of a forum.  It's extremely exclusive and just being a member will get you all kind of perks such as my private collection of Vogon poetry and access to never seen before behind the scenes footage.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2014, 07:10:48 PM »
It's not to "belong to a forum" it's to belong to a super elite subsection of a forum.  It's extremely exclusive and just being a member will get you all kind of perks such as my private collection of Vogon poetry and access to never seen before behind the scenes footage.

I actually am part of a forum where we do pay (more like donations since it isn't required, the owner moderates who has authority to join).  the person doesn't make any money off of ads (unlike MMM) and there has been an interesting side effect to it..

the owner's son was in a massive car accident last year.  so bad he was in a coma for a month or so.  Some how, he had barely a scratch on him, but he did have major head trauma (the car ended up in a tree).  The owner had money left over from the last year round of donations which was going to be used for the boards this year.  The owner needed to access those funds, and EVERYONE on the boards said go ahead and most gave more this year and said to use the left overs for the owners financial situation as well.  We are all more than "acquaintances" even though most of us have never met.  Our on-line personas may not match our real selves (most do at this point though there are some who like to just start trouble occasionally), but they come close.  We truly do care about each other more.  I've been part of that group going on almost 7 years.  Even though some have lost interest in the main theme for the boards, they hang around to keep in touch.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2014, 09:11:12 PM »
I'm no sure about that.  I think he might have been toying with us.  After a few more questions, he said he will continue to pay whatever the lender says he owes--which I took to mean that he will continue to use the IBR.  He wasn't exactly clear.

He showed up on Reddit/r/personalfinance and I called him out on his bullshit.  He's basically mincing words and trying to promote his blog for whatever reason. 

It appears he's using IBR but with no real income his repayment will be zero.

Regardless he can do whatever he wants and I can call him an unethical immoral leech on society.

Hey, it's good to see you again from Reddit/r/personalfinance! 

For the record, I'll continue on the IBR.  I'll be repaying these loans for ~23 more years.  Some years zero, other years a few thousand dollars, maybe more if my investments do well and I spend more money.  And then I'll owe a fat tax bill on any amounts forgiven at the end of year 23. 

Since I retired 5 months ago, I've ended up with a fair bit more income than I expected (investment returns, revenue from my blog, other projects, and being invited to do some freelance writing at a very nice compensation level given the amount of work involved).  With what I know now, there's a distinct chance we'll be paying more each year on my loans than what I expected, but it's really dependent on income.  I make more, I pay more.  Mathematically, it's a tax (to me).   

And I don't really feel like rehashing the "ethics of IBR" since there's a thread 200 posts long already devoted to it.  :)  To be fair to us, we never used the degrees that the loans were for.  That's why our incomes weren't high enough to repay the loans in full.  We probably made a mistake getting the advanced degrees given the cost and loss of income during those years of school.  We didn't really "benefit" from the education. 

Our system says "get an advanced degree, we got your back.  And if you end up doing something different in life, we can work out a deal on repayment".  That's just the way the system is set up.  If you don't like the results of the system, I'd suggest (as I did in the thread on ethics of IBR) examining the system and fixing what's broken, not going nuclear on those participating in the system per the bargain that was offered. 

On a side note, I'm a little humbled that I caused a major wave of disruption here a few months ago.  Wow! 

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2014, 11:10:15 PM »
I'm no sure about that.  I think he might have been toying with us.  After a few more questions, he said he will continue to pay whatever the lender says he owes--which I took to mean that he will continue to use the IBR.  He wasn't exactly clear.

He showed up on Reddit/r/personalfinance and I called him out on his bullshit.  He's basically mincing words and trying to promote his blog for whatever reason. 

It appears he's using IBR but with no real income his repayment will be zero.

Regardless he can do whatever he wants and I can call him an unethical immoral leech on society.

Hey, it's good to see you again from Reddit/r/personalfinance! 

For the record, I'll continue on the IBR.  I'll be repaying these loans for ~23 more years.  Some years zero, other years a few thousand dollars, maybe more if my investments do well and I spend more money.  And then I'll owe a fat tax bill on any amounts forgiven at the end of year 23. 

Since I retired 5 months ago, I've ended up with a fair bit more income than I expected (investment returns, revenue from my blog, other projects, and being invited to do some freelance writing at a very nice compensation level given the amount of work involved).  With what I know now, there's a distinct chance we'll be paying more each year on my loans than what I expected, but it's really dependent on income.  I make more, I pay more.  Mathematically, it's a tax (to me).   

And I don't really feel like rehashing the "ethics of IBR" since there's a thread 200 posts long already devoted to it.  :)  To be fair to us, we never used the degrees that the loans were for.  That's why our incomes weren't high enough to repay the loans in full.  We probably made a mistake getting the advanced degrees given the cost and loss of income during those years of school.  We didn't really "benefit" from the education. 

Our system says "get an advanced degree, we got your back.  And if you end up doing something different in life, we can work out a deal on repayment".  That's just the way the system is set up.  If you don't like the results of the system, I'd suggest (as I did in the thread on ethics of IBR) examining the system and fixing what's broken, not going nuclear on those participating in the system per the bargain that was offered. 

On a side note, I'm a little humbled that I caused a major wave of disruption here a few months ago.  Wow!

I'm glad you're doing well Root.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2014, 12:40:40 AM »
  If you don't like the results of the system, I'd suggest (as I did in the thread on ethics of IBR) examining the system and fixing what's broken, not going nuclear on those participating in the system per the bargain that was offered. 

There's a difference between ethics and law.

But, hey, let's not rehash all that business.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2014, 04:39:47 AM »

I actually am part of a forum where we do pay (more like donations since it isn't required, the owner moderates who has authority to join).  the person doesn't make any money off of ads (unlike MMM) and there has been an interesting side effect to it..

the owner's son was in a massive car accident last year.  so bad he was in a coma for a month or so.  Some how, he had barely a scratch on him, but he did have major head trauma (the car ended up in a tree).  The owner had money left over from the last year round of donations which was going to be used for the boards this year.  The owner needed to access those funds, and EVERYONE on the boards said go ahead and most gave more this year and said to use the left overs for the owners financial situation as well.  We are all more than "acquaintances" even though most of us have never met.  Our on-line personas may not match our real selves (most do at this point though there are some who like to just start trouble occasionally), but they come close.  We truly do care about each other more.  I've been part of that group going on almost 7 years.  Even though some have lost interest in the main theme for the boards, they hang around to keep in touch.

I agree that forums can be pretty fantastic when it comes to supporting people outside the scope of the original intent of the forum.  I've belonged to the same one for 10 years and have become good friends with lots of people there (including Self-Employed SWAMI whom I've actually only met once in real life).  I don't pay for it though.  We do voluntarily donate money though if one member is in a tough spot like the time one member's husband died and she was in a tight spot financially. 

I laughed at Dragoncar's description of the perks.  No small feat to make me laugh when I am barely awake. 

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2014, 07:39:12 AM »
I'm glad you're doing well Root.

Thanks, hope you are well, too.

Elyse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2014, 08:17:25 AM »

Which is why there is absolutely nothing "wrong" about picketing at someone's funeral, right?

Just because something is legal doesn't make it not a dick move.

These openings exist for people that need them.  I believe in free speech, but I still think picketing anyone's funeral is awful.  But if we barred it, more far-reaching laws would soon follow that would hurt society.  In the same thought, if I lost the ability to do my job in a non-disabling way, I appreciate that these programs exist.  Because what dumbass would purposefully get a degree they won't use and can't repay?  I understand picking a different industry if you realize your degree is not what you thought it would be after you got in the work force... but why not own up to your own ignorance in getting that degree in the first place?  Why put that responsibility on people that were not a part of your decision? 

And you don't have to listen to people when they say to get a degree.  Following others down a cliff "because it will be fun, trust me" doesn't make it less stupid. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:20:04 AM by Elyse »

Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »
And I don't really feel like rehashing the "ethics of IBR" since there's a thread 200 posts long already devoted to it. 

And yet that's exactly what you did.  At length.  And have already drawn several negative responses that seem as though they could be the beginning of giant off-topic flame war. 

If you can sleep at night, then I don't see why this particular thread needs to be entertained by your parade of self-justifying excuses.  Especially if you have already published them elsewhere, where I was able to ignore them.  If you have something to say about handling or reacting to unethical behavior on the Forums, then I'd be interested.  Potty humor, while off topic, is always appreciated as well.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2014, 02:59:33 PM »
And I don't really feel like rehashing the "ethics of IBR" since there's a thread 200 posts long already devoted to it. 

And yet that's exactly what you did.  At length.  And have already drawn several negative responses that seem as though they could be the beginning of giant off-topic flame war. 

If you can sleep at night, then I don't see why this particular thread needs to be entertained by your parade of self-justifying excuses.  Especially if you have already published them elsewhere, where I was able to ignore them.  If you have something to say about handling or reacting to unethical behavior on the Forums, then I'd be interested.  Potty humor, while off topic, is always appreciated as well.

Yeah, stop talking about it already.  You made your choice (which since we're offtopic, I agree with).  To thine own self be true. 

*of course, neither a borrower nor a lender be

jimmymango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2014, 11:13:31 AM »
Just want to thank OP for showing me http://www.reddit.com/r/frugal_jerk. Funny stuff and relevant considering RootofGood's appearance in the thread.

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2014, 05:07:42 PM »
Just want to thank OP for showing me http://www.reddit.com/r/frugal_jerk. Funny stuff and relevant considering RootofGood's appearance in the thread.

I couldn't let the fatcats just waste this good thread.  ;)

jimmymango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2014, 07:49:45 PM »
Can't talk. I'm plotting to steal lentils ;)