Author Topic: I bought a wooden box for 350$  (Read 19240 times)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: I bought a wooden box for 350$
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2017, 11:26:50 AM »
I'd be mad if my husband spent $350 on one wooden box. 

Seriously, I'd over analyze it:  It'd think about how many times I've scrimped to cut $5 from the grocery bill, the stretched-out socks and underwear in my drawers, the times I've cooked when I would've liked to have gone out ... and then I'd think about how many times I've scrimped, only to have it blown on a $350 box. 

All this would keep me from enjoying the box even a minute, and I'd resent it every time I looked at it. 

Take it back.

Yeah, me too. I do this with restaurant meals all the time. I was in a restaurant last week with a $10 baked stuffed potato. I could have made better at home for 50 cents.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2017, 03:57:39 PM »
Buy some shelving boards and:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1287672

You can get a saw like that for $25 too.

My favorite is an ancient Craftsman saw that I bought used that is about as old as I am. Built like a tank.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2017, 04:02:06 PM »
As mentioned before, this wouldn't be an easy project to just make if OP is not skilled.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2017, 02:11:20 PM »
I'm confident that anyone of average or better intelligence can learn if motivated. YouTube alone has a plethora of wood working videos.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »
As mentioned before, this wouldn't be an easy project to just make if OP is not skilled.
I don't know about that. You'd need the jigsaw, and it looks like the sides are also bent. But pine is easy to soak and bend. The first egg beater I owned was one my ex showed me how to make, using the top of our first christmas tree. We soaked it in water, then bound the top branches up to make the whisk shape.

Experimenting with that sort of technique on a set of boxes could be a fun project for a husband and wife to figure out and work on together.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2017, 07:20:28 AM »
Bent wood? Oh - my brief glance at it made it look like wavy cuts along the exposed edges. Never mind... Yeah, that's going to require some learning.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2017, 09:24:01 AM »
I do agree they are cool boxes, but not $350 worth. I think if my husband bought a $350 box for me I would be a bit horrified. One box even if nice, is just not that useable of a gift.
Shelving/storage I think looks really cool are tansu cabinets. If they are not antiques you can find some that are reasonable prices, including entire cabinets that cost around what your one box costs.
Also If you go on Etsy you can find cool distressed stacking wood crates for $40, 50, or even less
https://www.etsy.com/listing/228530971/stacking-rustic-wood-crate-handmade?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=stacking wood crates&ref=sr_gallery_11
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:30:36 AM by partgypsy »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »
Bent wood? Oh - my brief glance at it made it look like wavy cuts along the exposed edges. Never mind... Yeah, that's going to require some learning.

Wavy cuts could be really hard to match along a bookshelf though.  Especially with just a jigsaw.  Bending the wood, well that is going to be really hard to make the shelves fit together correctly.   I haven't bent wood, but it seems like bending something to make a whisk and bending interlocking pieces in a matrix would be way different.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:30:56 PM by iowajes »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2017, 02:20:17 PM »
If it was a wavy edge, I'd be likely to use a router with a bit that has a bearing on the end. Make one pattern, cut many copies. Would take a fair amount of planning and testing.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »
If it was a wavy edge, I'd be likely to use a router with a bit that has a bearing on the end. Make one pattern, cut many copies. Would take a fair amount of planning and testing.

I'm actually really interested in this bookshelf because it looks like it has waves that are not all exactly the same. Which makes me wonder how the boxes are modular. I'd love to see it in person.  But not pay $7,000 for it.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »
Rather than bending the wood, couldn't you achieve a similar look by making the box out of square and/or with unequal sides?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2017, 02:44:47 PM »
Rather than bending the wood, couldn't you achieve a similar look by making the box out of square and/or with unequal sides?

How do you ensure the modular nature of the matrix design though?

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2017, 02:49:09 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong about the bendy sides. It's hard to tell from the photos on the website. Comar? We need a ruling on this. Don't make me pay $350 to buy a box just to find out if I'm right or wrong!

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2017, 02:51:27 PM »
I'm thinking trapezoids.  For example, top would be 10" bottom would be 12".  If you look at the horizontal plane, they appear to be level.

In addition it looks like the depth varies from top to bottom.  Left could be a 10" depth, right could be 12".  If those 2 functions are treated properly, I think they would fit together.  Feel free to criticize as I'm given it about 5 minutes of thought.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2017, 02:52:36 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong about the bendy sides. It's hard to tell from the photos on the website. Comar? We need a ruling on this. Don't make me pay $350 to buy a box just to find out if I'm right or wrong!

They may bend, but the idea is to get a similar look for a lot cheaper. 

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2017, 03:24:30 PM »
I see 20 identical square boxes, stacked. IMHO, each side of each box is also identical to each other side, but the facing edge is curved, and the boxes are rotated so the corners match.

Lay one with its back flat on the ground, I think you'd see high corners on diagonal sides and low corners on the other diagonal.

Any curve (to other than the edge) that y'all are seeing is an optical illusion.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2017, 03:32:59 PM »
I see 20 identical square boxes, stacked. IMHO, each side of each box is also identical to each other side, but the facing edge is curved, and the boxes are rotated so the corners match.

Lay one with its back flat on the ground, I think you'd see high corners on diagonal sides and low corners on the other diagonal.

Any curve (to other than the edge) that y'all are seeing is an optical illusion.

If only the depth varies as you describe the project is even easier.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2017, 03:46:14 PM »
A sure way to give gifts that are appreciated and loved is to ask what she wants.

Giving gifts that aren't a surprise is an exercise in selflessness, because you miss out on the pleasure of surprising your loved one.  But it's not such a pleasure for the giftee to receive something they didn't really want, and now have to pretend to like, and have to find a gracious way of disposing.

Hang on to that receipt and ask your wife if she really likes the design (and the price).

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2017, 08:59:55 PM »

Look at some of the other arrangements (especially this one).  There are no bent sides, just different depths on the corners.  Gimme a band saw, some 1x4s, and some stain, and I'll...get someone to knock a few out.  For only $300 each ;-).

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2017, 06:44:50 AM »

Look at some of the other arrangements (especially this one).  There are no bent sides, just different depths on the corners.  Gimme a band saw, some 1x4s, and some stain, and I'll...get someone to knock a few out.  For only $300 each ;-).

I'll 275 and maybe add the fancy trapezoid.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2017, 07:55:18 AM »
where is the OP and what did you do?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »
I suspect that he died in an unfortunate box bending experiment.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2017, 08:47:54 AM »
I assume that he gave her the box, she said WTF, and now he's reluctant to tell us that we were right.

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2017, 08:54:41 AM »
Somewhere in Italy there's a very fancy box filled with what was left of Comar after his wife discovered how much he spent on said box. The box itself is very nice though, with a pretty nice wavy wooden finish.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2017, 09:06:13 AM »

LOL

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2017, 09:15:01 AM »
My suggestion is to return it. Then put $350 in an envelope with a picture of the bookcase and give it to her on her birthday. Let her decide if it's worth the money. What you will learn from what she does with it will be invaluable. What if she didn't know what it cost and you spent all that money on the whole thing? It might become known as Comar's Folly and haunt you for the rest of your marriage life.

This looks like an opportunity to build your communication skills and maybe even your finances.

Thank you Diane, for this idea. I have a similar dilemma with my SO and have been looking for a way to balance willingness to buy a certain gift and need to acknowledge that the money could buy a lot of other things. This is a good balance for me.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2017, 11:05:53 AM »
I've only done the most basic woodworking, but I don't see why it would be so hard to build these boxes (maybe it's my ignorance that makes it look easy).  First glue some boards together by the edges and clamp:
http://www.familyhandyman.com/woodworking/wood-joints/edge-gluing-boards/view-all

Then, use an Accu-arc to design a template. You just need one.
https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/05/curves-in-wood/

Finally, cut a bunch of squares for the backs, and rectangles for the sides.  One cut through a rectangle makes two sides. 
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/template-routing

I think dovetails would be the way to go to attach the sides together, and those can be done with the router as well.

Assemble, glue, clamp, sand, and finish!

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2017, 11:36:04 AM »
I have a hard time justifying spending top dollar for furniture.  I'm not picky, and there are plenty of people on Craigs List that are eager for someone to haul heavy items away.  Armoires, shelves, bed frames etc... I have found very cheap and in good condition.  I do have two really nice shelve in my house that my parents gifted to me when they moved out the country.  They are teak bookshelves and will probably last nearly forever.  They are heavy as hell though. 

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2017, 03:50:06 PM »
UPDATE: Thank you for all the wise words and tips. I immediately regretted buying the box. As said before I can be very picky when it comes to gifts. My gf is always telling me to just relax and don't overthink it. Feeling rushed because I was running out of time that day I tried to do just that, being relaxed and just be decisive so I bought the box. So then it dawned on me how impractical it was and that we would never feel good about collecting 300 dollar boxes. So I returned it today and got something else for my gf for about half that price.

This was a rushed act. Believe me I'm that guy who brings lunch to work every day, drive a 20 year old car etc. I say this because I admit at first I got offended by some of the comments and I understand better now how pissed many folks must feel when we mustachians critisize their money habits. I kinda felt attacked but of course I'm the one who decides if I get insulted or not. Most of the comments were thoughtful and kind but some were just plainly calling me stupid, suggesting I need better communication skills with my gf, suggesting I set my gf of 10 years up in a situation so I can see if she is a spender or not.

Just saying lets try to be positive and give thoughtful advice. 90% were just that so thanks a lot guys.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:53:40 PM by Comar »

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2017, 04:05:29 PM »
blah blah blah

Were the sides straight or bent?!!!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2017, 01:08:50 AM »
Thanks very much for coming back Comar. And thanks for letting us know how we (collectively) can do better next time.

I hope your GF had a great birthday!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2017, 03:55:43 AM »
Thanks very much for coming back Comar. And thanks for letting us know how we (collectively) can do better next time.

I hope your GF had a great birthday!

+1

I think gentle face punches are useful but I've noticed that some mustachians have trouble being forthcoming when they get "attacked" or very bluntly called out for their purchases. Keeping the focus on support and encouragement is always good :)

Props for returning the box! And now you have a funny story to tell your gf!

VladTheImpaler

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2017, 04:33:17 AM »
UPDATE: Thank you for all the wise words and tips. I immediately regretted buying the box. As said before I can be very picky when it comes to gifts. My gf is always telling me to just relax and don't overthink it. Feeling rushed because I was running out of time that day I tried to do just that, being relaxed and just be decisive so I bought the box. So then it dawned on me how impractical it was and that we would never feel good about collecting 300 dollar boxes. So I returned it today and got something else for my gf for about half that price.

This was a rushed act. Believe me I'm that guy who brings lunch to work every day, drive a 20 year old car etc. I say this because I admit at first I got offended by some of the comments and I understand better now how pissed many folks must feel when we mustachians critisize their money habits. I kinda felt attacked but of course I'm the one who decides if I get insulted or not. Most of the comments were thoughtful and kind but some were just plainly calling me stupid, suggesting I need better communication skills with my gf, suggesting I set my gf of 10 years up in a situation so I can see if she is a spender or not.

Just saying lets try to be positive and give thoughtful advice. 90% were just that so thanks a lot guys.

Thank you for coming back and posting the outcome.
I am glad you returned the box and saved some money.
I agree 100% about some of the comments being a little heavy-handed With too many assumptions.
Unfortunately, there are a few people on here (usually it's the younger guys in 20's and early 30's) who try to punch above their weight and take an overly aggressive tone.
But the majority of Mustachians are incredibly thoughtful, creative, and helpful.

Glad it worked out for you!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:35:50 AM by VladTheImpaler »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2017, 04:50:22 AM »
suggesting I need better communication skills with my gf,

I'm sorry, I hope my rant against surprise gifts didn't sound like I meant that!  I've been with Mr. Poundwise for 23 years and our communication is excellent, but it took us almost 20 years to realize that neither of us like surprises... and since then the gift-giving has improved tremendously. It's not so much fun to watch your loved one open the gift if they already know what's coming, but it's a pleasure to see them use it often and well.

Anyway, congrats on making a decision that you can feel much better about. Why not spend the balance of the box on a fun experience for you and your girlfriend? 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 06:57:11 AM by Poundwise »

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »
Thank you Poundwise I see I must have misunderstood you. Thanks for the suggestion, I think experiences as gifts is a great idea. This last christmas a friend gave me and my gf a gift certificate for a dinner for two. I thought it was excellent and so good to feel free of "more stuff". I think I will be doing this more in the years to come.

Thank you also Vlad, lifejoy and Playing with Fire UK.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2017, 11:42:51 AM »
blah blah blah

What color was the box??? ;)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2017, 11:54:25 AM »
Good for you for returning it!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2017, 11:56:56 AM »
blah blah blah

What color was the box??? ;)

If you're on a flight deck orange is the new black, but blue is regarded as evidence of superior communication skill.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2017, 12:15:27 PM »
Many of us here can afford a lot of expensive things. It doesn't make many of those things any less ridiculous.

QFT!

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2017, 01:18:36 PM »
But...but...but....

I came here thinking it was a coffin, found out it was just a fancy box, but THE LINK TO VIEW THE BOX DIDNT WORK!

Now I'm left wondering what this wavy box looked like! Anybody have a different link or a link to a photo of it on pinterest or something? :-D

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2017, 02:39:15 PM »
Step 1: Cut a hole in the box

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Literally lol.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2017, 02:55:54 PM »

Haaaa! You guys are killing it in here.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2017, 04:22:47 PM »
But...but...but....

I came here thinking it was a coffin, found out it was just a fancy box, but THE LINK TO VIEW THE BOX DIDNT WORK!

Now I'm left wondering what this wavy box looked like! Anybody have a different link or a link to a photo of it on pinterest or something? :-D
It was a coffin, but for a very short stout person with curvature of the spine.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2017, 06:19:05 AM »
Without context, this sounded like something else... The words bent & wood right next to each other... That'd do the trick!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2019, 06:03:28 AM »
Eeps! Swallow your pride and return the box. You're posting it here so a part of you must recognize the insanity. Over $350 is an incredible amount to spend on a bday... my husband turned 30 and I made him a PowerPoint and made him a cake and bought him a wiiU game for $60. Fancypants.

Isn't there some way you could show how much you care without spending $350 on a BOX?

My husband and I used to make each other PowerPoints for Valentine's Day - thanks for the reminder!

For DH's 30th, I got notes from all his closest friends and family - stories, words, kind thoughts - and paired them with pics from his facebook page. It made him feel really good and all the submissions were anonymous so he had fun guessing who had described him in certain ways, and which stories related to which people... and $0!!

That's really thoughtful!

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2019, 08:52:15 AM »
Thanks to the WayBackMachine and some url-hacking, the updated link is here:

http://www.dialmabrown.it/en/furniture/bookcase-db004460/

also attached are two images :D (which apparently only appear when logged in...)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:37:11 AM by thesis »