Author Topic: I bought a wooden box for 350$  (Read 19239 times)

Comar

• Stubble
I bought a wooden box for 350$
« on: January 06, 2017, 01:43:20 AM »
My wife's 30th birthday is coming soon and I decided to spend a bit more for a present this time. I decided to give her a shelf made of wooden boxes, some design stuff she had asked for. This is what it looks like: http://dialmabrown.it/en/prodotti/12963-2/

So I naively thought I would get the whole thing with 20 boxes for 350$ but nope ONE box is 350$. Not knowing what else to give her I decided to be decisive and just buy one. So I picked one up and went to the cash register all the while thinking "the mmm forum would be screaming "SHAME SHAME SHAME"".

So yes I bought a very simple wooden box for 350$. This was yesterday. This morning I invested 350$. It felt cleansing.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I bought a wooden box for 350$
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 02:45:51 AM »
That's kind of a cool shelf. But wow.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 04:11:15 AM »
Yes, it's an interesting and nice looking shelf. But what is the point of buying only one box?? I can't imagine any useful purpose for it.

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 05:23:53 AM »
Yes, it's an interesting and nice looking shelf. But what is the point of buying only one box?? I can't imagine any useful purpose for it.

Um well boxes can contain things...? *sweat prodcuces on my forehead* It looks pretty decent by itself and I guess if we ever buy more of them it will be easy to rearrange. They are pretty big so just 2 more will make a decent shelf (just 700 dollars!). So I guess we'll be collecting 300 dollar boxes for the next few years?

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 05:26:46 AM »
Please don't judge me too hard. I'm actually taking her out to dinner and putting some stuff inside the box and making it all fancy. So it's not just a box I'm giving her. Still 350$.....

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 05:31:13 AM »
you should return that and get a free pallet and make that yourself for 5 dollars in stain and sealer

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 05:31:48 AM »
also you put it on here what did you want people to say about it.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 06:29:07 AM »
Eeps! Swallow your pride and return the box. You're posting it here so a part of you must recognize the insanity. Over $350 is an incredible amount to spend on a bday... my husband turned 30 and I made him a PowerPoint and made him a cake and bought him a wiiU game for $60. Fancypants.

Isn't there some way you could show how much you care without spending $350 on a BOX?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 07:50:21 AM »
EACH of those boxes is $350? Admit your mistake and return the damn thing, you thought you were getting the unit.  What the heck will you do with one box.

I disagree this would be a super easy DIY project, as clearly there are wavy lines that would be hard for a beginner to pull off correctly; but with 20 cubbies in the modular unit, by the time you have $7000 worth of practice, you might have a good approximation! Or a straight-line substitute for $100 or $200!  (The wavy lines confuse me about how it is modular, because they don't all seem to match exactly...it is an interesting piece, as a set, but one? I don't get the point- especially not at $350!)

To keep the box seems prideful to me. It's like you don't want to say "I was wrong, and thought the price was for the unit."

Also- clearly others disagree with me, but I wouldn't use pallets for indoor furniture. You don't know what they have been treated with.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 07:55:17 AM »
Eeps! Swallow your pride and return the box. You're posting it here so a part of you must recognize the insanity. Over $350 is an incredible amount to spend on a bday... my husband turned 30 and I made him a PowerPoint and made him a cake and bought him a wiiU game for $60. Fancypants.

Isn't there some way you could show how much you care without spending $350 on a BOX?

My husband and I used to make each other PowerPoints for Valentine's Day - thanks for the reminder!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 08:02:31 AM »
That's ridiculous money to waste.  You can build that yourself for an awful lot less than 350$ . . . and that's including buying all the tools and materials necessary.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »

My husband and I used to make each other PowerPoints for Valentine's Day - thanks for the reminder!

For DH's 30th, I got notes from all his closest friends and family - stories, words, kind thoughts - and paired them with pics from his facebook page. It made him feel really good and all the submissions were anonymous so he had fun guessing who had described him in certain ways, and which stories related to which people... and $0!!

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 08:21:24 AM »
Very good points all and thank you. I was feeling very rushed and I'm the type of guy who can over analyze if a particular item is the "perfect" gift. Sometimes I can spend hours trying to find better prices or more interesting things and I guess a part of me was sick of that and wanted it over with, buy my freedom so to speak. Guess you would call it an impulse purchase. So I guess I told you guys because deep down I knew this was pretty ridicilous.

I might return it we will see. I just don't have the time and money to build one of these, let alone twenty of them.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 08:33:10 AM »
I think you could build a nice set of shelve boxes yourself if you take your time. But then you should use material like MDF and e.g. make boxes with sides like this: \_/ and the next one with opposite sides. Or all of them like this: \_\ . With MDF you can make real cupboards and you can paint it over. You could give one box at every occasion.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 08:37:42 AM »
Very good points all and thank you. I was feeling very rushed and I'm the type of guy who can over analyze if a particular item is the "perfect" gift. Sometimes I can spend hours trying to find better prices or more interesting things and I guess a part of me was sick of that and wanted it over with, buy my freedom so to speak. Guess you would call it an impulse purchase. So I guess I told you guys because deep down I knew this was pretty ridicilous.

I might return it we will see. I just don't have the time and money to build one of these, let alone twenty of them.

I respect this analysis. You're headed in the right direction :)

You could definitely start a new thread "cost-effective ideas for wife's 30th birthday" and maybe that would inspire you!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 08:43:14 AM »
You might also ask around to see if anyone can recommend a local carpenter who can make something similar for you.  (The wavy lines make this well beyond basic, unskilled DIY.) You could likely get several boxes--enough to actually function as furniture--for a  small fraction of that $350.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 09:18:48 AM »
Did she specifically ask for this very bookcase? Did she have any idea how much it cost or did she just think it was um, interesting looking?

My suggestion is to return it. Then put $350 in an envelope with a picture of the bookcase and give it to her on her birthday. Let her decide if it's worth the money. What you will learn from what she does with it will be invaluable. What if she didn't know what it cost and you spent all that money on the whole thing? It might become known as Comar's Folly and haunt you for the rest of your marriage life.

This looks like an opportunity to build your communication skills and maybe even your finances.

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 10:05:56 AM »
Seeing this makes me appreciate the fact that my wife and I have stopped purchasing each other presents and gifts many years ago sooooo much more. No birthday gifts, no Christmas presents, no Valentine's Day extravaganza, nothing. We got to this conclusion after realizing that after a few years of living being and living together we ended up buying random crap we hoped the other would like, and it simply wasn't worth it to accumulate that much stuff we didn't really want or need. Instead, we've decided to do something special on birthdays, something we both enjoy together. Like go out to eat at a really fancy restaurant we wouldn't even go near any other day of the year.

Fortunately, my brother and I have reached this 'no gifts on birthdays and christmas' agreement way back when we were still teenagers.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 10:37:01 AM »

Wait, you're thinking about buying 20? $7,000 on boxes! Is that the choice, build or buy 20!

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 11:59:35 AM »
They are pretty big so just 2 more will make a decent shelf (just 700 dollars!). So I guess we'll be collecting 300 dollar boxes for the next few years?

You are assuming that these same boxes will be available for a few more years. Will you and/or your wife be happy if you have just this single, $350 box? Or just two? What happens if they are $375 next year?

If you are taking her to dinner AND filling it with items and making it fancy, then just use cheaper box or a gift bag.

Will your wife be happy knowing that you spent $350 on this box??

Frizhand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 01:35:47 PM »
Please don't judge me too hard. I'm actually taking her out to dinner and putting some stuff inside the box and making it all fancy. So it's not just a box I'm giving her. Still 350$.....

You're buying her a $350 box AND buying 'stuff' for the box AND taking her out to dinner ?  So, this will cost you, what, $450 or $500 when all's said and done?  make her dinner... return the box and the 'stuff'.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »
When I looked at the link I assumed you got a bunch of the boxes and could arrange them in various ways.  One box!  NOOOOOOOO  Come on, return it.  If you really want to spend $350 (is that US$? That makes it worse, it is really $460 plus tax) I am sure she can think of more desirable ways to spend it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 01:53:22 PM »

You are assuming that these same boxes will be available for a few more years. Will you and/or your wife be happy if you have just this single, $350 box? Or just two? What happens if they are $375 next year?

This is a VERY good point, and another in favor of returning it.  A 'statement piece' such as this will have a limited lifespan. It isn't going to be available for years to come, so I would not count on collecting more of these $350 boxes over the years.

Also-buying them up slowly doesn't make it any less stupid. It is still a $350 box.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
I bought a wooden box for 350$
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 02:11:07 PM »
If she's like me, she was telling you that she admired the look. That does not equate to wanting to spend the money. I would be horrified if my husband brought home a $350 box just because I said I liked the design.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 02:21:59 PM »

If it were me and you could be trusted to actually follow through (I don't mean that in an insulting way - some people can and some people can't - hopefully you know yourself), I would appreciate an IOU for a box.  (If it's a matter of not having time before her birthday and not just time overall.)

Otherwise, I'd take previous poster up on the offer to make the full set for you.  :)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 03:38:28 PM »
Perhaps after staining, this would satisfy? (Personally, I would love it. And it's a bit design-y like your original idea.)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sprout-25-Cubby-Wave-Mid-Century-Bookcase/45048750

ETA: Buyer beware. After doing a bit more research, I see that the same product is available on Amazon, and it does not get stellar reviews.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:19:21 PM by Miss Piggy »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 03:58:57 PM »
Perhaps after staining, this would satisfy? (Personally, I would love it. And it's a bit design-y like your original idea.)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sprout-25-Cubby-Wave-Mid-Century-Bookcase/45048750

Nice find!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 05:04:08 PM »
... am I the only one who opened this thread expecting it to be about a coffin?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
... am I the only one who opened this thread expecting it to be about a coffin?
No, I did too.
I asked my husband, who does a lot of woodworking , how much he thought the 20 box unit would be. "Oh, that wouldn't be cheap...$800 to $1000, the waves are a bit tough"
 He now wants to know how he could find buyers for a $7000 bookcase...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2017, 07:35:39 PM »

You're buying her a $350 box AND buying 'stuff' for the box AND taking her out to dinner ?  So, this will cost you, what, $450 or $500 when all's said and done?  make her dinner... return the box and the 'stuff'.

My family's general rule, and one that I'm trying to get my daughter to understand and respect, is that buying people expensive gifts and restaurant meals is not usually an effective use of money.

I use the one hour of take-home pay rule for close friends and relatives that aren't immediate family, if we exchange gifts. We get each other small but useful items such as pyjamas or fuzzy socks, and among us craft-ier people most of our gifts are homemade.

For a close relative (and a wife would count), two hours' worth of take-home pay is a reasonable way to celebrate a birthday or a special holiday. In a special year, such as for a landmarke anniversary or a special birthday, it's reasonable to double that. However, if dinner or other entertainments are involved, they need to be factored into the cost of the gift. So if John Doe earns $30 an hour and spends $60 on the gift, it needs to be enough. There's no reason for there to be a gift and a dinner and a movie and-and-and. The dinner is the gift.

This means that a hotshot lawyer who bills $200 per hour can afford to spend $400 on a very nice dinner, gift, and entertainment, but a semi-skilled office worker who makes $20 an hour can afford a splurge of $40, tops.

It seems to me that people, especially young people, are hung up on the notion that they have to spend, spend, spend or else it isn't a "good" birthday or holiday. If you're considering spending $350 on a gift for one person and still spending more on dinner and entertainments, please reconsider your approach and have a frank discussion about expectations.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2017, 04:40:44 AM »
Bull shit. All you old people who attach yourselves to your jobs and work forever you should all be retired and the young would have more jobs but you wasted your money. If we're going to over generalize. 

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2017, 05:57:37 AM »
Yikes. I've shown my husband a $4,000 fountain pen I want, but I'd be appalled if he got it. I'm never going to have that pen; it's part of the appeal. I just occasionally gaze at it lovingly at pen shops and do 90% of my writing with my $40 Lamy. :)

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2017, 07:37:41 AM »
I would return it. There are no prices on that website as far as I can see. Perhaps she didn't know how expensive they are when she asked for them.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »
Return it. When they ask why, tell them you were delirious with fever when you bought it.

SimpleSpartan

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »
Haha wow, after reading through the comments I gotta go with the OP on this one. It seems like he's in a very solid position financially and for $350 while absurd, isn't going to be delaying retirement. In ten years you can tell your wife how much you spent on it, get slapped, and have a good laugh about it. Cheers

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2017, 04:02:31 PM »
Haha wow, after reading through the comments I gotta go with the OP on this one. It seems like he's in a very solid position financially and for $350 while absurd, isn't going to be delaying retirement. In ten years you can tell your wife how much you spent on it, get slapped, and have a good laugh about it. Cheers
And when she finds out how much it will cost to get the whole look, will she still be laughing?  It's not just the cost of one box, it is that one box is not a set of shelves.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2017, 04:32:29 PM »
Many of us here can afford a lot of expensive things. It doesn't make many of those things any less ridiculous.

Pleasedeletethis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2017, 06:53:51 PM »
Looks like I should be in the wooden-box-making business.

Evidently it's booming :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2017, 07:05:43 AM »
Yikes. I've shown my husband a $4,000 fountain pen I want, but I'd be appalled if he got it. I'm never going to have that pen; it's part of the appeal. I just occasionally gaze at it lovingly at pen shops and do 90% of my writing with my $40 Lamy. :)

But you showed it to him. The day that he doens't know what do give you as a gift, he might be tempted. Let's hope he is sensible about money and doens't want to spend that on much a pen.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2017, 10:01:34 AM »
Re: Mezzie's pen, I would really hesitate to never spend that much money on something so easy to lose. I worked at Nordstrom for a decade. One of my colleagues used to have customers sign their receipts with his lovely Mt. Blanc pen. One day, a customer didn't return it. When my friend asked for his pen, the customer insisted it was his pen. Nordstrom did not back my friend up by replacing his pen. (Nordstrom Rule #1 - The customer is always right.) He went back to using cheap pens like the rest of us. This happened twenty years ago and it still pisses me off when I think about it.

Personally, I always wanted a Cartier Tank Watch. Now watches are dodo birds. So, so glad I wanted FIRE more.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:28:06 PM by Diane C »

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2017, 05:27:37 PM »
I'd be mad if my husband spent $350 on one wooden box. 

Seriously, I'd over analyze it:  It'd think about how many times I've scrimped to cut $5 from the grocery bill, the stretched-out socks and underwear in my drawers, the times I've cooked when I would've liked to have gone out ... and then I'd think about how many times I've scrimped, only to have it blown on a $350 box. 

All this would keep me from enjoying the box even a minute, and I'd resent it every time I looked at it. 

Take it back. 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »
This is the start of an Onion article, right?

$350 for a box? Holy. Shit. It better have gold plating and include a free back massage for that price.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2017, 09:46:09 AM »
Step 1: Cut a hole in the box

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2017, 09:49:31 AM »
Really interested to hear from the OP on this.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2017, 10:19:23 AM »
Step 1: Cut a hole in the box

LMFAO!

Really interested to hear from the OP on this.

Yeah, me too.

Bliss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »
http://www.ana-white.com/search/node/Wood%20cube

Wow! Great site! Thanks for posting.

My bedroom set is inspired by one of her projects. Of course, DH went a bit insane and completely reworked the plan; but her site is amazing.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2017, 11:12:42 AM »
Were there no rent-to-own places you could rent a box from?