Author Topic: I always hear non-Mustachian people using the phrase...  (Read 34291 times)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Re: I always hear non-Mustachian people using the phrase...
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2020, 02:45:48 AM »
This. It isn't worth the risk for a few hours of fun. A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead (I'm a choral singer and this one hit home. The directors of both of my choirs thankfully had decided to cancel our rehearsals during the same week described in this article.)

That's a hell of a story.
It happened near my hometown too. Now 7 people (so far) are dead in a community of 4000 and dozens are in hospital.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2020, 01:46:38 PM »
Our board gaming group meets at local breweries.  I usually spend about $6.00 for one beer.  Occasionally I might splurge on a happy hour order of fries for $2.  It is cheap for 3-5 hours of entertainment and it helps support the local business who is providing the space.  This is usually my biggest discretionary spending all week outside of groceries.

I frequently hear people say "It costs $40 to $50 to go to game night."  This from people who order food they don't finish plus 2, 3 or more drinks...........

Unfortunately I will be taking a break from game nights for a while due to this pesky virus.

Last weekend, we were down from our usual 10-15 people to only 5. It was definitely difficult, but I'm not ready to give up my favorite hobby. We have cleaner for all of the tables and hand sanitizer to use between turns.

My state shut down bars, lounges, and eat-in restaurants as of 3 pm today. Enjoy the hobby while you can.

At least through the end of the month, I will be working from home. We have enough groceries to get by a couple weeks. So the board game group will literally be my only human interaction outside of my house during that time.

The mall we play at was virtually abandoned long before there was a virus to blame, but if that gets shut down as well, I'll offer to move the group to my house. I won't stop organizing our group until I receive an order to do so from officials.

2 weeks that feel like a lifetime later, what has happened with the board game group?

All but a couple of us backed out, so we ended up calling it until everything blows over. I guess I get it, but I think we could have just disinfected everything and been just fine. As things are, I'm down to just playing games online and video games.

You would all have needed face masks to protect each other.  Disinfection is only half the protection issue.

This. It isn't worth the risk for a few hours of fun. A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead (I'm a choral singer and this one hit home. The directors of both of my choirs thankfully had decided to cancel our rehearsals during the same week described in this article.)

You might consider a group video call and an online board game platform. I haven't tried the latter, but my friends and I did a virtual happy hour last night and had a lot of fun. We're going to make it a weekly thing.

I’ve done a couple group google hangouts now. One night we played Yahtzee. One friend kept a shared spreadsheet with the score. On Friday night we found a free on-line game where you drew pictures and people had to guess what the prompt was for each picture.

It has actually been a pretty good/free way to socialize with friends.

My friends who organize it are also the friends who always host happy hour at their place during normal times because they refuse to go out and pay for full-price beer and food :)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2020, 04:26:36 PM »
Our board gaming group meets at local breweries.  I usually spend about $6.00 for one beer.  Occasionally I might splurge on a happy hour order of fries for $2.  It is cheap for 3-5 hours of entertainment and it helps support the local business who is providing the space.  This is usually my biggest discretionary spending all week outside of groceries.

I frequently hear people say "It costs $40 to $50 to go to game night."  This from people who order food they don't finish plus 2, 3 or more drinks...........

Unfortunately I will be taking a break from game nights for a while due to this pesky virus.

Last weekend, we were down from our usual 10-15 people to only 5. It was definitely difficult, but I'm not ready to give up my favorite hobby. We have cleaner for all of the tables and hand sanitizer to use between turns.

My state shut down bars, lounges, and eat-in restaurants as of 3 pm today. Enjoy the hobby while you can.

At least through the end of the month, I will be working from home. We have enough groceries to get by a couple weeks. So the board game group will literally be my only human interaction outside of my house during that time.

The mall we play at was virtually abandoned long before there was a virus to blame, but if that gets shut down as well, I'll offer to move the group to my house. I won't stop organizing our group until I receive an order to do so from officials.

2 weeks that feel like a lifetime later, what has happened with the board game group?
We are on indefinite hold.  No meetings scheduled.  Some people are using Table Top Simulator to get their gaming fix remotely but I have plenty of other things to do to keep me busy.  Plus spending hours staring at a computer screen sounds too much like being back at work!  I am happily FIREd, thank you

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2020, 08:37:58 PM »
Lately, I've been finding myself buying a lot more stuff online. The justification I use is "I'm helping to stimulate the economy". In one sense, it's pretty un-Mustachian to be so many not exactly essential goods (bought plants for the garden and paintings for decoration and yarn for art projects, planning to increase our cleaning lady's hours), but on the other hand, our economy really does need some stimulation right now, especially from those of us who still have steady incomes.