Author Topic: I always hear non-Mustachian people using the phrase...  (Read 34233 times)

Runrooster

• Bristles
Re: I always hear non-Mustachian people using the phrase...
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2020, 05:01:39 PM »
Over the past two years I have taken that phrase out of my vocabulary and made a little over $1700 average every weekend.

You make an extra $80K by working weekends? Doing that for two years straight is impressive.  I work most weekends (on top of a full time job) for about 4 months and I am burned out when it's over.

Or do you work full time but take a mid-week 2 days off?

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2020, 06:23:23 PM »
Over the past two years I have taken that phrase out of my vocabulary and made a little over $1700 average every weekend.

You make an extra $80K by working weekends? Doing that for two years straight is impressive.  I work most weekends (on top of a full time job) for about 4 months and I am burned out when it's over.

Or do you work full time but take a mid-week 2 days off?

Yes I went through several fairly discrete stages which I worked into incrementally as I connected the dots and found what worked for me. 1--work part time, sun myself and enjoy life. 2. Work full time and spend all my money--vacations, expensive things blah blah. 3. Work full time and save some money. 4. Work double-time and save some money. 5. The monerexia kicked in and I started to work double-time and save nearly all my money. Yes there is some burnout but my heroes have always been cowboys--um workaholics, and I have found there are enough forced days off during the year that it is doable. Plus let us not forget I get a full 12 hrs off every single day.

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2020, 02:45:57 PM »
My boss was trying to give me good advice a couple years when he suggested I buy a house even though I'd only live there for two years because "equity."  I played that game a decade ago and all I saw was "closing costs."

I got that early in my career, I was in a HCOL area for a specific 2 year contract, and was told the previous person who had that contract made more money selling their place after 2 years than salary during that time.  We had never owned, but that still told me it was a housing bubble.  So we rented, and at the end of 2 years, the landlord was trying to sell it.  They had one (1) person come look at it in 6 months.  Bubble over, and we moved on to another state, as expected. . .

On the topic of this thread, I did recently give a financial presentation to a non-profit I'm a member of that got a bequest on how to invest it for the long term.  I'm betting nobody else on this forum thought of this solution: do a 65/35% mix of index funds and fixed income, rebalance once a year, and don't take out more than 4% a year.  :)  I dressed it up nicely with data from links I've seen here, and some graphs, and they were shocked at how simple it could be.  I added an extra rule to be more conservative, since they don't NEED the money, if the total account doesn't go up by 4% in any one year, don't take anything out that year. 

Anyway, one person in the meeting was outraged that I could suggest something so risky.  "Didn't I know the market just hit all time highs?"  (Answer, yes, it does that regularly, the market goes up over the long term.)  "Didn't I know the market went down 90% in the Great Depression?" (Answer, yes, this model was back tested against that, and that is why SWR is only 4%.)  "The Fed has pumped 1 trillion into the economy, and the worldwide economy is about to collapse!!"  (Answer, as I showed, this model has been tested against the markets of 16 other advanced economies as well as ours, for a total of roughly 1700 years of market activity, and it works as long as you don't have WW 2 on your territory.) He finally left the meeting as he "couldn't listen to this insanity" any more. 

I suspect I'll have a bit more trouble with him, but he'll be outvoted by the other people who really liked what I presented.  The only argument I'll have is about using stop loss orders, which guarantee you will miss any market bounce back from a dip. 

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2020, 04:27:17 PM »
"We love Disney World."

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2020, 07:01:12 AM »
I've heard "ooohh, I was really baad this weekend...!"  meaning they overspent on some unnecessary thing and now they're sorry/not sorry.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2020, 08:45:48 AM »
Mustachian: "ooohh, I was really baad this weekend...!"

Coworker: "what did you do?" Assumes you bought a car on your credit card or booked three week cruise on Bill Gate's yacht.

Mustachian: "we went out to eat..."

Coworker: ?!?!?!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2020, 05:05:09 PM »
I had to buy X, because my former X was old.

For example, "I had to buy a new pair of shoes, because my other pair were old."

Not damaged in some way that made them unusable, just that the item was produced 2 or more years ago. I hear this a lot as an excuse for buying shiny new things.
This is why MMM is still using this forum software from 2005 because we don't believe in upgrading just for appearances. :P

Haha no doubt--there's a restaurant supply store where I live and you can tell the owners are frugal--their inventory software looks like it was designed for soviet submarines in the early 60's.

And those subs are still working damn well from what I hear. Meanwhile our Australian state-of-the-art brand new submarines have been on the drawing board for 10 years now, because we can't figure out how to stop them from being noisy when they move.

Yes that's right. They are designed to be undetectable on radar, but you can hear their noisy diesel engines from the other side of the Pacific Ocean. And we're paying the French $80 billion for it.

There is merit to keeping old, uncomplicated shit going for as long as possible.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2020, 05:01:50 AM »
"God will provide."  When someone says this, I hear "I refuse to take responsibility for my future and expect my friends and family to take care of me."

Oh? When did you hire God as your servant?

I had to look it up.  This is from their main page.  Honestly, this is the type of content I would have written in 6th grade. 

Saladmaster has revolutionized healthy cooking by offering premium products through a unique cooking experience. Our vision is for everyone in the world to experience Saladmaster. For more than 70 years, Saladmaster has changed lives by empowering Cooking Coaches to achieve their entrepreneurial goals in more than 45 countries. As a multimillion-dollar company, Saladmaster’s state-of-the-art cookware is manufactured by parent company Regal Ware, Inc.

DING DING DING DING DING! BINGO!!!!!

I hear family and friends use the word invest wrong all the time.  "I'm going to invest in a good pair of shoes."
No, a good pair of shoes IS an investment, mainly in good feet, (literally) easy going and such better health.

But unfortunately by good shoes most people mean expensive ones not comfy enough to be worn the whole day.

Haha no doubt--there's a restaurant supply store where I live and you can tell the owners are frugal--their inventory software looks like it was designed for soviet submarines in the early 60's.

Ever heard of SAP? You can still use their 80s views. It is ugly as hell, but it still gets things done.
In software and especially crypto, don't use the latest fad. Use what has worked for years (or decades).

Anyway, one person in the meeting was outraged that I could suggest something so risky.  "Didn't I know the market just hit all time highs?"  (Answer, yes, it does that regularly, the market goes up over the long term.)  "Didn't I know the market went down 90% in the Great Depression?" (Answer, yes, this model was back tested against that, and that is why SWR is only 4%.)  "The Fed has pumped 1 trillion into the economy, and the worldwide economy is about to collapse!!"  (Answer, as I showed, this model has been tested against the markets of 16 other advanced economies as well as ours, for a total of roughly 1700 years of market activity, and it works as long as you don't have WW 2 on your territory.) He finally left the meeting as he "couldn't listen to this insanity" any more.
My point is always: If something happens that is so bad that this strategy fails, than you have more pressing worries anyway, like finding something to eat.

Mustachian: "we went out to eat..."

Coworker: ?!?!?!

LOL me 2 days ago on business trip. Paid 15€ for a f***ing Ramen soup + 1 drink! Most expensive soup I had in my life I think :D

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2020, 05:06:40 PM »

LOL me 2 days ago on business trip. Paid 15€ for a f***ing Ramen soup + 1 drink! Most expensive soup I had in my life I think :D

Ugh that reminds me of when a friend came to town for a conference last year.  I picked her up at the airport and we went to a trendy "Food Hall" near her hotel for dinner.  I paid about $15 for a bowl of noodles with 3 shrimp in it.

Food halls are a scourge...Overpriced, noisy, and crowded.  At least you don't have to stand in a parking lot or sit at a picnic table in a parking lot like food trucks.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2020, 07:54:05 AM »
Buying fast food is crazy these days. In a moment of weakness I stopped at Chik-Fil-A. Bought a coke and 4 chicken strips. They were little things. Total bill was close to $8!

I could have driven across the street to the grocery store deli and bought four BIG chicken strips for half that and 50 cents for a can coke.

Between CFA's owner's politics (LGBTQ topics) and their prices I'm done for good.

The_Big_H

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: February 29, 2020, 10:19:40 PM »
"We love Disney World."

"We love Cruising"

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2020, 09:29:08 AM »
"We love Cruising"

Could be mustachian...Luck into one of the cruises with a Coronavirus patient, end up at sea for 3-4 weeks while looking for a country to accept the ship.  28 days for the cost of 7.   

(another reason to skip cruising for me)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2020, 09:53:37 AM »
"Car payment." Car. Payment? WTF? How in the hell is this possibly even a thing?
Late to the party, but gotta reply anyway...

Hahaha, I had a car loan for 1.99%, then on a different car for 1.49%, both used cars. In fact, the second loan was taken out against a paid-for vehicle. My credit score was stagnating because I didn't have any loans, so I took the loan and invested the money. Still hated having a loan and paid it off early.

It is a mustachian thing if you do it right.

Luap595

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2020, 12:28:04 PM »
"Retail therapy"

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2020, 02:15:13 PM »

"401ks/stocks are rigged" / "the government will confiscate your 401k" or similar doomsday talk.

My coworkers are convinced that if you have a pension or any wealth you're not going to get any social security in a couple of decades. So best option is to spend, spend, spend now before you end up with too much money.

Seriously even if it was true that I wouldn't qualify for social security because I have money of my own, I'd still prefer the security of my own wealth in my account right now over the promise of social security one day.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2020, 07:21:49 PM »
Seriously even if it was true that I wouldn't qualify for social security because I have money of my own, I'd still prefer the security of my own wealth in my account right now over the promise of social security one day.
Heh, if it were that way, I'm sure enterprising folks would find...ah...alternative ways of stashing money for retirement.  Like a real estate empire.  Or some sort of business.  Or gold.  Or guns.  Something that at least won't depreciate.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2020, 08:42:51 PM »
"It was only $20." Or $30, $40, whatever. All the onlys add up eventually.

"I did a thing." Accompanied by a photo of a new dress or concert tickets or something.

"Congratulations!" or "Congrats on your new baby!" or any variation thereof in response to people who inexplicably post photos on social media when they purchase a new car. It's a mode of transport (usually accompanied by a car loan), it's not an achievement.

Wow, I sound really bitter!

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2020, 08:55:28 AM »
[...]

"I did a thing." Accompanied by a photo of a new dress or concert tickets or something.

[...]

I got a good laugh - I'm very guilty of doing this. I'm generally known for being a tightass about spending, so for me it's funny to spring it on people when I'm not.

Around my office I hear "Well you can afford it" a lot, especially when talking about upgrading to a nicer/more expensive car, house, or doodad when they're still happy with the current one. It's just not the shiniest new thing.

coynemoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2020, 08:26:03 AM »

"401ks/stocks are rigged" / "the government will confiscate your 401k" or similar doomsday talk.

My coworkers are convinced that if you have a pension or any wealth you're not going to get any social security in a couple of decades. So best option is to spend, spend, spend now before you end up with too much money.

Seems like the Boomer version of "Why pay my student loans? The government is going to pay them all in a few years."

The_Big_H

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2020, 06:48:24 PM »

Evildunk99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2020, 02:47:27 PM »
"Treat yourself!"

"We thought about going with XX product/service, but the premium product/service will be worth it"

"I can only bring my lunch to work like once per week because it's so annoying"

"There's soooo much traffic on my 60 mile commute!  -- they really need to improve the roads around XX!"

"Unless you're a foodie, you probably wouldn't like XX fancy restaurant"

"Aghhhhh I'm a workaholic"  /  "Aghhhh I'm always sooooo busy"

"Why don't you just do XX expensive decision, it's so much easier!"

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2020, 06:14:35 PM »
"Treat yourself!"
I confess, I do this fairly often...at the Dollar Store, lol.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2020, 04:04:34 AM »
"Treat yourself!"
First I treat myself by putting money in the savings. If there is some left, I sometimes indulge in an ice or chocolade. If I feel really wealthy I allow myself to go into a bookshop (which invariably means I buy one).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2020, 08:47:50 AM »
"Treat yourself!"
First I treat myself by putting money in the savings. If there is some left, I sometimes indulge in an ice or chocolade. If I feel really wealthy I allow myself to go into a bookshop (which invariably means I buy one).
@LennStar, I used to have the same bookstore problem so I started volunteering at the library book sales. First choice of thousands of gently used books for a buck apiece or less. One volunteer gig led to another and I now have scores of friends in my community, which is an amazing thing. I've also noticed that friends found through volunteering tend to have more of a frugal mindset. Yay for frugal books and frugal friends. Yet another benefit is that a lot of them are retired early too, which neatly avoids the post-FIRE pitfall of having no one to play with during business hours, for the win.

Oh, and sorting books is dead easy. Call your library today and see if they have a Friends Group. It could change your life. One more thing, all the people you will meet are readers. It's an almost instant tribe.

wanderlustNW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2020, 08:55:07 AM »
"Well, I work hard, so I deserve it!

I was going to say this. So many people I know say this about high expense items and fancy vacations. "My life is so busy and crazy that I deserve a tropical vacation that costs thousands and thousands of dollars meanwhile I complain about my student loans."

I work with students in my job who rotate through my clinic and even they say this. "School has been so hard and stressful that I deserve a spring break to Hawaii." Or a new car, or expensive clothing.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2020, 09:06:10 AM »

I was going to say this. So many people I know say this about high expense items and fancy vacations. "My life is so busy and crazy that I deserve a tropical vacation that costs thousands and thousands of dollars meanwhile I complain about my student loans."

I work with students in my job who rotate through my clinic and even they say this. "School has been so hard and stressful that I deserve a spring break to Hawaii." Or a new car, or expensive clothing.
Ah, yes, the consumerist brainwashing starts early. It's not like people who say this crap are typically doing hard physical labor, either.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2020, 09:16:57 AM »

To be a fair, a tropical vacation doesn't have to be expensive. It can be done very cheaply without sacrificing much. I think the big problem is the people who just want to stay at a resort the whole time and never explore the towns or anything, local restaurants, or local supermarkets. Tried to explain to a family friend that a fun trip with family or friends can be had for much less than the 'package deal' she keeps getting to go on trips to Mexico and it did not compute. In short – don't fall for all-inclusive resort packages. But yes, most people will do international vacations the most expensive way possible, probably without realizing it.

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2020, 12:33:00 AM »
'It Is What It Is'

It's getting more common, and irritating, to hear this.....

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2020, 01:50:20 AM »
'It Is What It Is'

It's a midern-day "Que sera, sera." At least there's no saccarine-sweet song to go along with the phrase.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2020, 12:40:30 PM »

Long ago and far away, I had a lovely coworker with a wife and 3 kids.  They had credit card debt to the tune of around $15,000 - he was stressed about it. 

I didn't know what to say, really, but he let it slip that his wife liked to shop.  "But MM, how can I tell her not to shop when she works so hard?"  Buddy, you can't afford it.  If the math doesn't add up, she cannot afford those new items.

I ran into him recently.  I hope he's doing better.  This convo was 15-20 years ago.  His kids are mostly grown at least.

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2020, 02:55:20 PM »
'It Is What It Is'

Is this limited to non-Mustachians?  I totally get that any glib phrase repeated excessively is annoying.  I guess I liked this one because it’s like the beginning of a mathematical proof.  A = A
Are they applying it to their credit card debit or something and not doing anything about it?

(I guess I always associated with a ‘getting over it’ mentality — you can obsess over why something happened or how unfair it is but at the end of the day the situation is the situation.  Yeah, student loans may not be set up fairly and high schools should probably better educate students on some real-world knowledge and you graduated and there’s now a slump in your field.  Whatever those past factors are: the situation exits.  Now stop looking back and DO something about it!)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 03:01:13 PM by Ann »

phildonnia

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2020, 04:00:10 PM »
'I can't afford to invest'.......from people that invariably seem to be able to spend lots on objects that depreciate faster than they can buy them.....

Those same people use "invest" to mean "consume".  As in "I think it's time to invest in a new screen."

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2020, 04:34:59 PM »
'I can't afford to invest'.......from people that invariably seem to be able to spend lots on objects that depreciate faster than they can buy them.....

Those same people use "invest" to mean "consume".  As in "I think it's time to invest in a new screen."
I often use the same term when I "congratulate" someone on a major purchase.  Those that know me, know that I'm mocking the recipient.  Those that don't, well... don't.  Kind of like a mustachian version of "bless your heart".

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2020, 11:22:34 AM »
That's funny!

Master of None

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2020, 12:20:58 PM »

I often use the same term when I "congratulate" someone on a major purchase.  Those that know me, know that I'm mocking the recipient.  Those that don't, well... don't.  Kind of like a mustachian version of "bless your heart".

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Therefore I will be stealing this. Thank you for your service.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2020, 03:50:55 PM »

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Therefore I will be stealing this. Thank you for your service.

The actual quotation, from a quip I always associated with Oscar Wilde, is: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness." Apparently Wilde stole it from Charles Caleb Colton who'd written it thirty years before.

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2020, 11:02:51 PM »

The actual quotation, from a quip I always associated with Oscar Wilde, is: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness." Apparently Wilde stole it from Charles Caleb Colton who'd written it thirty years before.

Haha, it can be very good value to copy greatness! And an interesting path indeed this onion of quotes has taken :-)
My second most heard non- mustachian phrase is..” It was expensive but we will get the use out of it”..usually heard from someone who has thrown an extravagant amount away on a new car or piece of electronics, when they could have bought a good used version for less than a quarter of the price.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2020, 07:51:09 PM »
Our board gaming group meets at local breweries.  I usually spend about $6.00 for one beer.  Occasionally I might splurge on a happy hour order of fries for $2.  It is cheap for 3-5 hours of entertainment and it helps support the local business who is providing the space.  This is usually my biggest discretionary spending all week outside of groceries.

I frequently hear people say "It costs $40 to $50 to go to game night."  This from people who order food they don't finish plus 2, 3 or more drinks...........

Unfortunately I will be taking a break from game nights for a while due to this pesky virus.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: March 16, 2020, 05:54:30 AM »
Our board gaming group meets at local breweries.  I usually spend about $6.00 for one beer.  Occasionally I might splurge on a happy hour order of fries for $2.  It is cheap for 3-5 hours of entertainment and it helps support the local business who is providing the space.  This is usually my biggest discretionary spending all week outside of groceries.

I frequently hear people say "It costs $40 to $50 to go to game night."  This from people who order food they don't finish plus 2, 3 or more drinks...........

Unfortunately I will be taking a break from game nights for a while due to this pesky virus.
Actually, if the room is full, you being there is not helping the local business, you are hurting it, because instead of you there could be someone else spending $50 in that time instead of $6 ;)

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2020, 07:40:03 AM »

Last weekend, we were down from our usual 10-15 people to only 5. It was definitely difficult, but I'm not ready to give up my favorite hobby. We have cleaner for all of the tables and hand sanitizer to use between turns.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2020, 10:54:16 AM »

Actually, if the room is full, you being there is not helping the local business, you are hurting it, because instead of you there could be someone else spending $50 in that time instead of $6 ;)

We go mid-week to places that are not crowded.  And I will not buy into the "don't go unless you spend a lot of money" mindset.  Very anti mustachian.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2020, 10:55:55 AM »

Last weekend, we were down from our usual 10-15 people to only 5. It was definitely difficult, but I'm not ready to give up my favorite hobby. We have cleaner for all of the tables and hand sanitizer to use between turns.

I am not giving it up.  Just taking a break.  I have lots of hobbies.  Plus social distancing.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2020, 06:52:14 PM »

My state shut down bars, lounges, and eat-in restaurants as of 3 pm today. Enjoy the hobby while you can.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2020, 07:22:17 AM »

My state shut down bars, lounges, and eat-in restaurants as of 3 pm today. Enjoy the hobby while you can.

At least through the end of the month, I will be working from home. We have enough groceries to get by a couple weeks. So the board game group will literally be my only human interaction outside of my house during that time.

The mall we play at was virtually abandoned long before there was a virus to blame, but if that gets shut down as well, I'll offer to move the group to my house. I won't stop organizing our group until I receive an order to do so from officials.

skp

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2020, 12:42:47 PM »
Proud look on face "I got it buy one get one free".  Sorry, you only got a deal if you really needed 2.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2020, 11:14:46 PM »

At least through the end of the month, I will be working from home. We have enough groceries to get by a couple weeks. So the board game group will literally be my only human interaction outside of my house during that time.

The mall we play at was virtually abandoned long before there was a virus to blame, but if that gets shut down as well, I'll offer to move the group to my house. I won't stop organizing our group until I receive an order to do so from officials.

2 weeks that feel like a lifetime later, what has happened with the board game group?

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2020, 08:39:10 AM »

2 weeks that feel like a lifetime later, what has happened with the board game group?

All but a couple of us backed out, so we ended up calling it until everything blows over. I guess I get it, but I think we could have just disinfected everything and been just fine. As things are, I'm down to just playing games online and video games.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2020, 11:51:06 AM »

All but a couple of us backed out, so we ended up calling it until everything blows over. I guess I get it, but I think we could have just disinfected everything and been just fine. As things are, I'm down to just playing games online and video games.

You would all have needed face masks to protect each other.  Disinfection is only half the protection issue.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2020, 03:34:01 PM »

You would all have needed face masks to protect each other.  Disinfection is only half the protection issue.

This. It isn't worth the risk for a few hours of fun. A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead (I'm a choral singer and this one hit home. The directors of both of my choirs thankfully had decided to cancel our rehearsals during the same week described in this article.)

You might consider a group video call and an online board game platform. I haven't tried the latter, but my friends and I did a virtual happy hour last night and had a lot of fun. We're going to make it a weekly thing.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2020, 04:37:48 PM »
This. It isn't worth the risk for a few hours of fun. A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead (I'm a choral singer and this one hit home. The directors of both of my choirs thankfully had decided to cancel our rehearsals during the same week described in this article.)

That's a hell of a story.