Author Topic: I always hear non-Mustachian people using the phrase...  (Read 34175 times)

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
I always hear non-Mustachian people using the phrase...
« on: January 03, 2020, 11:22:25 AM »
"sit down with a financial advisor."  Where did this phrase originate ?  Why is it so widespread?  And why do people think a financial advisor has their best interests in mind?

wellactually

• Stubble
Re: I always hear non-Mustachian people using the phrase...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 01:22:17 PM »
I have a friend who (together with her husband) is always meeting with a financial adviser or real estate agent (despite being years from buying in a very average market) or something. They are always looking for the magic trick to financial management. DH and I paid off 55k of high interest student loans the first 20 months of marriage, then saved for a house, then saved for IVF. I think she believes we found the magic trick and still asks me questions as if the whole thing is a mystery. The thing is, I blogged about our whole debt payoff with literally tens of posts about how we budgeted and where we found extra savings and how there was no shortcut to doing the work.

I don't want to be giving specific personal financial advice to friends. My responses are so boring: we prioritized our goals, made a budget, and tracked all our expenses. I give a caveat that spending priorities are personal, goals are personal, and that different budget/tracking styles work best for different people, so find a plan that works for you which you will follow through on and then execute.

Her revelation from the financial adviser was to create sinking funds for annual expenses. But sinking funds don't magically fix anything if you blow the budget and buy whatever Amazon deal you feel like each month. You have to actually fund sinking funds!

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 01:50:39 PM »
When it comes to the clean-shaven among us, I'm just happy to see them investing in something.

But to answer your question, it used to be the way to do things.  Not everyone believes in ETFs either.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 03:07:50 PM »
...and how there was no shortcut to doing the work.

There's a new book called Do The Fucking Work.  Hard to tell, but it might apply here.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 09:43:26 PM »
"Well, I work hard, so I deserve it!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 10:36:33 PM »
“It was kind of expensive, but it’s an investment,” when talking about an expensive purchase.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 04:15:22 AM »
“It was kind of expensive, but it’s an investment,” when talking about an expensive purchase.

I hear people say they are investing in a new car. [Gameshow Buzzer for wrong answer]. Cars are almost never investments. Unless you lucked out and bought some rare desirable car at MSRP and held onto it for 40 years and resold it for multiples of the purchase price, fuel, maintenance, and insurance, you didn't make an investment. The only other time I could see a vehicle as investment is if it was necessary to conduct business. I could also see see flipping cheap used cars as an investment too.

For the vast majority of people, cars never give you any income or sell for more than you sunk into it. They are necessary evils for getting around in a reasonable amount of time without being exposed to the elements and will only be worth a small fraction of what you paid for it by the time you get rid of it.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 06:14:56 AM »

We were looking for a new bed and wandered into a Sleep Number store.  After lots of moving us to "better" and "better" beds, we sat down to find out the price.

Although the price was going to be over $8K, we were told that it would be an investment.  We were out the door no more than 5 minutes later.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 06:24:53 AM »
...get the extended warranty.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 07:34:18 AM »
YOLO!!

(You Only Live Once!)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 07:53:17 AM »

Yep. Major eye roll on that one.

SavinMaven

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 07:55:12 AM »
Totally the "invest in ____" (thing that drops precipitously in value the second you use it once, like an outfit, a treadmill, or a sofa).

Not There Yet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 09:11:55 AM »
But I like nice things!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 10:23:18 AM »
YOLO!!

(You Only Live Once!)

This is kinda the entire driving motivation for a lot of folks to FIRE...

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2020, 11:35:13 AM »

We were looking for a new bed and wandered into a Sleep Number store.  After lots of moving us to "better" and "better" beds, we sat down to find out the price.

Although the price was going to be over $8K, we were told that it would be an investment.  We were out the door no more than 5 minutes later.

Gulp.  For a BED?  You could buy a car for that.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 11:44:13 AM »

Gulp.  For a BED?  You could buy a car for that.

You could buy 4 cars for that.

frugs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2020, 06:17:14 PM »
"you can't take it with you"....

Basically, money is for spending... they assume emergencies where they might actually need a large sum of money could never happen to them.. and leaving some behind to others for worthy causes never occurred to them...

Engineer93

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2020, 07:06:36 PM »
Treat Yo Self!

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2020, 07:34:53 PM »
"you can't take it with you...”

Usually preceded by “you have to live a little, enjoy yourself, life is too short, we aren’t guaranteed tomorrow, you could get hit by a bus on the way to work”

... yeah, still trying to invest 66%, not convinced!

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 07:45:08 PM »
"Car payment." Car. Payment? WTF? How in the hell is this possibly even a thing?

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2020, 07:54:14 PM »
"I don't care too much for money. Money can't buy me love!" Nightmare philosophy foisted on the unsuspecting by the clueless.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2020, 08:41:05 PM »
"Money isn't everything" or "Life's not about money".

I also sometimes hear, "It's for a good cause" and "God will provide".

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2020, 09:22:44 PM »
So many good ones here already, but here goes

“When I win the lottery... Insert their problems being solved here”

“Can I borrow $5?  Pay u back on Friday”   Not a chance. 

And my personal favourite “I’ll never be able to retire :(”   yeah, I know you won’t, I’ve seen your cars. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2020, 12:00:19 PM »
...get the extended warranty.

And the ceramic paint protection plus the undercoating (on that mattress)...

Not There Yet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 12:44:37 PM »
"God will provide."  When someone says this, I hear "I refuse to take responsibility for my future and expect my friends and family to take care of me."

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 03:31:27 PM »
Yep. That expression really grinds my gears...

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 06:17:12 PM »
"God will provide." 
I absolutely cannot with this expression. I want to throttle the person who uttered it. Every. Time.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2020, 05:52:01 AM »
"God will provide." 
I absolutely cannot with this expression. I want to throttle the person who uttered it. Every. Time.

My parents say this every time I talk to them about retirement. Mid-60’s, no savings, no pension, want to take Social Security ASAP.

“Pops you have to work as long as possible, wait for SS”
“Why I’m ready to stop working now?”
“Someday you won’t be able to work, you’ll need the higher payment”
“God will provide”

Hope that works out for you- I’ll work a couple extra years just in case.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2020, 06:32:27 AM »
"God will provide." 

My parents say this every time I talk to them about retirement. Mid-60’s, no savings, no pension, want to take Social Security ASAP.

“God will provide”

I guess people in third-world countries just need to believe harder. God will provide, after all.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2020, 07:18:48 AM »
I hear these things a lot.  Also, "I need to update my wardrobe/home décor/car etc. etc" 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 07:24:39 AM »
"God will provide."  When someone says this, I hear "I refuse to take responsibility for my future and expect my friends and family to take care of me."
As a religious person, I'd want to respond with "God helps those who help themselves."

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2020, 07:52:30 AM »
That's what I think...but it would come out too snarky.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2020, 08:27:47 AM »
"God will provide." 

“God will provide”

I guess people in third-world countries just need to believe harder. God will provide, after all.
3rd world? There's a billboard in my 'Murican metro stating "God Will Provide". But what exactly is not stated.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2020, 08:33:04 AM »
I just heard this from a friend a couple of months ago!  She started talking about getting a Saladmaster cookware set...I started trying to talk her out of it.  Just asking her questions about if she really needed new cookware, if so did she really need to spend almost $2000 on it.  Sure enough, a couple of weeks later she admitted that she bought it and defended the decision as an "investment that we can leave our kids."  I'm pretty sure her kids would have rather had her put the $ in VTSAX.  If my excel formula is right, that would be worth well over $20,000 by the time she and her hubby go to their eternal reward.  But instead her kids get Saladmaster cookware for their inheritance.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2020, 09:18:38 AM »
Saladmaster cookware

Never heard of this, but the name made me LOL. Cookware for raw veggies?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2020, 09:21:20 AM »
I just heard this from a friend a couple of months ago!  She started talking about getting a Saladmaster cookware set...I started trying to talk her out of it.  Just asking her questions about if she really needed new cookware, if so did she really need to spend almost $2000 on it.  Sure enough, a couple of weeks later she admitted that she bought it and defended the decision as an "investment that we can leave our kids."  I'm pretty sure her kids would have rather had her put the $ in VTSAX.  If my excel formula is right, that would be worth well over $20,000 by the time she and her hubby go to their eternal reward.  But instead her kids get Saladmaster cookware for their inheritance.

It so nice of them to die just when the kids are considering upgrading their cookware, but before they actually make the purchase themselves!

Also, salad...cookware?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2020, 09:26:03 AM »
Investment. 

When they mean expenditure. 

My co-worker tells me she hasn't made an investment into a super-fancy cat litter box YET!.   How could that ever be considered an investment?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2020, 09:28:20 AM »
Saladmaster cookware

I had to look it up.  This is from their main page.  Honestly, this is the type of content I would have written in 6th grade. 

Saladmaster has revolutionized healthy cooking by offering premium products through a unique cooking experience. Our vision is for everyone in the world to experience Saladmaster. For more than 70 years, Saladmaster has changed lives by empowering Cooking Coaches to achieve their entrepreneurial goals in more than 45 countries. As a multimillion-dollar company, Saladmaster’s state-of-the-art cookware is manufactured by parent company Regal Ware, Inc.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2020, 09:29:31 AM »

Handbags. Chanel and Hermès and etc. Bet you didn’t know that, right? Get out there and get your high end handbags now, so that you can resell them for how much you paid!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:31:35 AM by iris lily »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2020, 09:30:56 AM »
Saladmaster cookware

I had to look it up.  This is from their main page.  Honestly, this is the type of content I would have written in 6th grade. 

Saladmaster has revolutionized healthy cooking by offering premium products through a unique cooking experience. Our vision is for everyone in the world to experience Saladmaster. For more than 70 years, Saladmaster has changed lives by empowering Cooking Coaches to achieve their entrepreneurial goals in more than 45 countries. As a multimillion-dollar company, Saladmaster’s state-of-the-art cookware is manufactured by parent company Regal Ware, Inc.

So it is an MLM, to boot?!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2020, 09:40:13 AM »
Saladmaster cookware

Or whatever is the premium version of an MLM. “Multi-tier investment strategy,” perhaps?

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2020, 09:56:53 AM »
"I can afford it!"

Meaning the monthly payment of course.  With no real idea how many months/years it is adding to their working lives.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2020, 10:28:32 AM »
"Spend it, don't tend it"

Said by former BIL who frequently pontificates that "The Man" has held him down his whole life.  He will work until he dies and with all that fun livin' he has been doing he will not make it to 68 (alcoholic, diabetic, already has tremors, lives in a filthy hoard with his moron wife who will beat him to the grave).  We will probably hear of his sudden, tragic, and totally unexpected death any day.  Sigh.   

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2020, 10:54:38 AM »
I hear people say they are investing in a new car. [Gameshow Buzzer for wrong answer]. Cars are almost never investments. Unless you lucked out and bought some rare desirable car at MSRP and held onto it for 40 years and resold it for multiples of the purchase price, fuel, maintenance, and insurance, you didn't make an investment. The only other time I could see a vehicle as investment is if it was necessary to conduct business. I could also see see flipping cheap used cars as an investment too.

For the vast majority of people, cars never give you any income or sell for more than you sunk into it. They are necessary evils for getting around in a reasonable amount of time without being exposed to the elements and will only be worth a small fraction of what you paid for it by the time you get rid of it.

Funny enough, it's often when you get to the $1 million+ price range that cars start becoming potential investments.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2020, 04:26:20 PM »
Saladmaster cookware

Yes!  Isn't that the best way to convince people they need expensive cr@p?  Have friends & family sell it?

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2020, 04:35:24 PM »

Word salad

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2020, 05:24:33 PM »

Word salad
To me, it sounds like they are primarily an MLM and the selling of cookware is only a passing afterthought.

Not There Yet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2020, 06:23:19 PM »
MLMs have to sell some kind of product to avoid being illegal pyramid schemes.  Often these products are just window dressing.  Usually MLMs make the big money by signing up "consultants", who are required to purchase expensive demonstration kits and/or a certain amount of product each month to keep their status.  LuLaRoe, for example, requires its consultants to purchase $5,000 worth of clothes to start.  Their consultants have no choice in the styles or sizes they receive.  https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/4/30/18524356/lularoe-sellers-bankruptcy-mlm

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2020, 06:30:57 PM »
'I can't afford to invest'.......from people that invariably seem to be able to spend lots on objects that depreciate faster than they can buy them.....

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2020, 05:59:06 AM »
I hear family and friends use the word invest wrong all the time.  "I'm going to invest in a good pair of shoes."  or "I'm going to invest in a nice car."

I'm not against buying better quality, but unless it's a buy for life decision, I don't see it as an investment.