Author Topic: Humiliate and Shame me Publicly!  (Read 15851 times)

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
Humiliate and Shame me Publicly!
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:58:16 AM »
We all know that if a serious goal is made public, it is more likely that you will accomplish it. 

Using the same technique, right here in the Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy, you can experience positive punishment for your Antimustachian misdeeds!  Positive Punishment works by presenting a negative consequence after an undesired behavior is exhibited, thus making the behavior less likely to happen in the future.  Well, that is the hope anyway. 

So come right in to the Mustachian Confessional for remedial punishment by humiliation and shaming.

Confession:

I drove 2.5 miles on a beautiful sunny evening last night to get groceries that could have easily fit in my bike trailer.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Humiliate and Shame me Publicly!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:17:53 AM »
WTF dude?

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 07:33:48 AM »
WTF dude?

Hah  that's all you got? 

I sort of have an excuse...but it's not that good. 

Sparafusile

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:41:51 AM »
Breaking news:

http://youtu.be/4eg-kK6FeRQ

Thank you very much...

Am I doing it right?

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:47:21 AM »
I drove the 5 miles to work this morning instead of biking. In my hobby car that only gets 10 mpg on a good day. Excuse? Hit snooze on the alarm this morning.

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 07:50:13 AM »
Shame me: I don't know how to fix things around the house.  Especially plumbing.  We had to get plumbers to replace two water heaters this year.  That was expensive because I don't know how to do it myself. 

My dad can fix these things, but I don't know how.

There's some sort of "you must use a licensed plumber if it's a gas appliance" rule in my town, but I bet there's a way I could have done at least some of the work to save some money.

Also: I buy canned beans.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 07:51:46 AM »
WTF dude?

Hah  that's all you got? 

I sort of have an excuse...but it's not that good.

Your post reminded me of this:

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 07:52:31 AM »
I drove the 5 miles to work this morning instead of biking. In my hobby car that only gets 10 mpg on a good day. Excuse? Hit snooze on the alarm this morning.

That sort of lazy-ass attitude isn't gonna cut it around here.  You snooze you lose!  What did you lose? 

1) 10 miles of exercise
2) 1 gallon of gas
3) humility

When you get home tonight in your clown car you should immediately get on your bike and go to work and back as remedial training.  Also, put sugar in your gas tank, turn your alarm clock station to heavy metal and disable the snooze button. 

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 07:53:42 AM »
Breaking news:

http://youtu.be/4eg-kK6FeRQ

Thank you very much...

Am I doing it right?

Crap!  Can't see that at work behind my mile high firewall.  Will look tonight!  Whatever it is...I deserve it.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 07:58:40 AM »
Shame me: I don't know how to fix things around the house.  Especially plumbing.  We had to get plumbers to replace two water heaters this year.  That was expensive because I don't know how to do it myself. 

There's some sort of "you must use a licensed plumber if it's a gas appliance" rule in my town, but I bet there's a way I could have done at least some of the work to save some money.

Oh man.  I thought the plumbing wasn't too bad...since gas fitting is a good legal excuse.

But when I saw that you buy canned beans?  I fuckin' lost it.  I mean...who doesn't have the skills to do this? Apparently you!

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 08:56:32 AM »

*Gasp* Thoust cannot reconstitute the dried bean!? Forshame sir at your preference for convenience over slightly cheaper hassle! Go and fetch the Scarlet B! It shall be affixed to you so that all will know of your sin of have used a canned product that thoust did not can on one's own!

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 09:32:15 AM »
I still have my satellite subscription. Yes, I'm still under contract, but the cost to get out of the contract is now less than the amount of my monthly bill.

So why do I still have my satellite subscription? HGTV. DAMN YOU HGTV. I must wean myself from its sparkly fixer-upper homes and anti-mustachian house hunters.

I will cut it out by the end of summer. I WILL.

Slap me now.

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 09:38:54 AM »

I find if you can make the time, you can usually learn a good deal of it by trial, error, and common sense.

Also I can't solder a pipe to save my life.  Someday I will get it down, but in the meantime I've found that sharkbite/gatorbite push on fittings work extremely well.  It's as simple as cutting off the old plumbing and pushing on the new connection.  I had to move the water heater temporarily to install tile when redoing our kitchen/laundry.  Shutoff the water and gas, unscrewed the gas, cut the copper pipes that ran to the water heater.  When it came time to reinstall, screwed in the gas line and pushed on a braided hose that has a sharkbite on one end and a screw connection for the water heater on the other.

Long run of pipe under the house with reoccuring pinhole leaks.  Cut the old section out, sharkbite connections and pex.  Easy as pie.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 09:48:14 AM »
I still have my satellite subscription. Yes, I'm still under contract, but the cost to get out of the contract is now less than the amount of my monthly bill.

So why do I still have my satellite subscription? HGTV. DAMN YOU HGTV. I must wean myself from its sparkly fixer-upper homes and anti-mustachian house hunters.

Slap me now.

WHAT!!!  You walk into the MONEY MUSTACHE forums stating you can't wean off cable!?  Someone take that 'handlebar' title away! 

Oh, and here is a pair of something you need - because this is an epic emergency:

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 09:58:26 AM »

Slap me now.

WHAT!!!  You walk into the MONEY MUSTACHE forums stating you can't wean off cable!?  Someone take that 'handlebar' title away! 

Oh, and here is a pair of something you need - because this is an epic emergency:

I ACCEPT YOUR SCORN.

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 10:00:27 AM »

Slap me now.

I ACCEPT YOUR SCORN.

You can always get something of a fix from PBS on your rabbit ears.  - http://video.pbs.org/program/old-house/

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 10:11:14 AM »

You can always get something of a fix from PBS on your rabbit ears.  - http://video.pbs.org/program/old-house/

Oh, I already watch This Old House. And This New House. And Ask This Old House. And This Old House Hour. Now ask me if I have any DIY acuity...

Sad thing is that I checked and there's no PBS that I can pick up via broadcast in my area. Satellite and cable providers crib PBS and ABC from the closest big city.  My city only broadcasts NBC, CBS, Fox and The CW (plus a host of Spanish-language channels). However, I can get a bigger city's stations via another individual's Aereo account (through Roku). Let's just hope that the courts don't destroy Aereo or I couldn't get any PBS or ABC stations in my city.

Again, I have no excuse. I need to call and cancel.

Megatron

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 10:13:33 AM »
I bought a $120 ultra light rain jacket for multi pitch rock climbing because I think the gears already weight too much.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 11:48:58 AM »
I bought a $120 ultra light rain jacket for multi pitch rock climbing because I think the gears already weight too much.

Is this you:

I think for $120 you could have purchased an entry level parachute! 

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »

I hate it when I get up in time to bike, but just fritter with stuff and  can't get my sorry ass out the door in time to bike to catch my bus.  Sheesh, if I was going to take the motorcycle anyway I could have slept in an hour or more later!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 12:44:34 PM »

You know what's even worse? HGTV makes full episodes available from their website, so you can watch it even without a satellite subscription. FOR FREE.

YOU MUST CANCEL SATELLITE AT THE VERY INSTANT YOU READ THIS.

Oldguy

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 01:03:22 PM »
My wife woke yesterday sick as a dog, begging for a Sprite. I jumped in my truck and drove 6 miles round trip for a large one. Knee jerk reaction.
Beat me, kick me, whip me, put on the thumb screws.

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 01:09:52 PM »
Sigh...  i feel like this thread was made for me.  In the last week I:

1- broke down and got the Moto X from Republic wireless.  Even got a couple of 'accessories' for it that I'm sure I could have gotten on the cheap somewhere else. 

2- spent $300 on swimming lessons for my daughter.  Actually, she's really enjoying it, so I don't really feel bad on this one, but I'm sure other folks would facepunch me for it. 

3- and the big one.  After managing to go 1 year without a car, we finally had to get one.  But it was so painfully un-mustachian.  I can't even go into the details.  I'd get tarred and feathered here.   

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 01:55:37 PM »

3- and the big one.  After managing to go 1 year without a car, we finally had to get one.  But it was so painfully un-mustachian.  I can't even go into the details.  I'd get tarred and feathered here.

Someone else can shame you on 1) and 2).  But 3?  Details mate, details.  That is what I created this confessional for!  You will feel better for it...and we all might have a laugh at your expense (hey...you might even prevent or at least give someone else pause from doing the same thing!)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 02:17:30 PM »
Hate to break it to you guys, but you're saving money right now.  In my city, it costs $200/hr to get somebody to shame and humiliate you.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 02:18:14 PM »
i paid someone to cut the grass because it was too hot out, and then because it was too hot out i drove to the redbox (1 mile away) and returned movies.  i then bought crap food from the walgreens i just happened to be at returning the dvds because it was "too hot" to use my oven. 

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 02:20:32 PM »
i then bought crap food from the walgreens i just happened to be at returning the dvds because it was "too hot" to use my oven.

Last evening, I paid for electricity to cool my house down with the AC and then paid for gas to heat it back up again with the oven.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 02:25:10 PM »
i then bought crap food from the walgreens i just happened to be at returning the dvds because it was "too hot" to use my oven.

Last evening, I paid for electricity to cool my house down with the AC and then paid for gas to heat it back up again with the oven.

Now that's just ridiculous. You should do product testing in your own house and at you own expense.  for example: you could test opposing appliances.  Which would win in the battle of the humidifier in the dehumidifier both in the same sealed room?  Assume that the water extracted by the dehumidifier drains into the humidifier's container. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »
Of all the spendy things I do, I want shame for this one, because I haven't done it yet, and there's a chance that I can be stopped. 
I'm still considering getting a fence, even though all posters to my original Reader Case Study told me not to.  Right now, there are about 20 homes in my neighborhood getting fences, so if I commit in the next 30 days or so, I get heavily discounted pricing.  I do not feel the need for a fence.  A black decorative iron fence just means years of maintenance (wirebrushing, rust-proofing, repainting) .  There is no purpose for this fence; it is almost only for looks (although it does kind of "set a perimeter" around your space and keep the dogs from ruining the grass).   The area that this proposed fence would cordon off is about 16 feet x 5 feet. 

It's so obvious to me that this is only to keep up with my neighbors, yet I find myself thinking about what style to get and even justifying the future maintenance as a way to keep in touch with my neighbors! 

When I think it out logically, I know it's not the right choice.  But I know that if someone approaches me when my guard is down, I'll just say "okay, where do I sign?" 

Help me nip this in the bud.  If I can get past the period where all the other installations are going in, I'll never think about it again -- I know me...I just don't care about a fence!  But it's the next few months of installations that will be my weakness. 

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 03:05:49 PM »

Oh, I already watch This Old House. And This New House. And Ask This Old House. And This Old House Hour. Now ask me if I have any DIY acuity...

Sad thing is that I checked and there's no PBS that I can pick up via broadcast in my area. Satellite and cable providers crib PBS and ABC from the closest big city.  My city only broadcasts NBC, CBS, Fox and The CW (plus a host of Spanish-language channels). However, I can get a bigger city's stations via another individual's Aereo account (through Roku). Let's just hope that the courts don't destroy Aereo or I couldn't get any PBS or ABC stations in my city.

Again, I have no excuse. I need to call and cancel.

I think you can actually just get a straight up PBS channel on your Roku. at least we can. and yes, I know this because the main thing I watch on PBS is This Old House :) I feel you, as a fellow HGTV addict... luckily I get to travel for work about twice a year and most hotels have HGTV so I get my fix then :)

in terms of extremely comedic and horrifying personal anti-Mustachianism worthy of intense levels of scorn... for some reason (well, I know the reasons, but they are stupid) I've DRIVEN to work, like, five times in the last two weeks.

I LIVE ONE MILE FROM WORK.

AHHHHHHH it hurts to type this!!

Of all the spendy things I do, I want shame for this one, because I haven't done it yet, and there's a chance that I can be stopped. 
I'm still considering getting a fence, even though all posters to my original Reader Case Study told me not to.  Right now, there are about 20 homes in my neighborhood getting fences, so if I commit in the next 30 days or so, I get heavily discounted pricing.  I do not feel the need for a fence.  A black decorative iron fence just means years of maintenance (wirebrushing, rust-proofing, repainting) .  There is no purpose for this fence; it is almost only for looks (although it does kind of "set a perimeter" around your space and keep the dogs from ruining the grass).   The area that this proposed fence would cordon off is about 16 feet x 5 feet. 

It's so obvious to me that this is only to keep up with my neighbors, yet I find myself thinking about what style to get and even justifying the future maintenance as a way to keep in touch with my neighbors! 

When I think it out logically, I know it's not the right choice.  But I know that if someone approaches me when my guard is down, I'll just say "okay, where do I sign?" 

Help me nip this in the bud.  If I can get past the period where all the other installations are going in, I'll never think about it again -- I know me...I just don't care about a fence!  But it's the next few months of installations that will be my weakness. 

No! Don't get a fence! Just don't! Wide open spaces FTW!!!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 03:06:02 PM »
Hate to break it to you guys, but you're saving money right now.  In my city, it costs $200/hr to get somebody to shame and humiliate you.

Ha ha. Actually the idea for this thread came from a similar type of place. There was restaurant in Tokyo where the chef humiliated people for all manner of things. For example if you are overweight if you have glasses if you are balding.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 03:09:49 PM »

Okay, there is still hope for you so no public shaming yet. All you need to do is erect a mental fence that is 500 feet high in your head. This will not allow people to influence you in making decisions about fences that you know to be superfluously ridiculous.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2014, 03:10:39 PM »
Now that's just ridiculous. You should do product testing in your own house and at you own expense.  for example: you could test opposing appliances.  Which would win in the battle of the humidifier in the dehumidifier both in the same sealed room?  Assume that the water extracted by the dehumidifier drains into the humidifier's container.

That brings up an even more humiliating thing: I have a dehumidifier in my unfinished half-basement/half-crawlspace. It is not only not air-sealed, the crawlspace is vented to outside. My dehumidifier is therefore trying to fight the influx of humid Georgia summer air.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2014, 03:13:39 PM »
I want shame
[...]
all posters to my original Reader Case Study told me not to
[...]
I do not feel the need for a fence.
[...]
just means years of maintenance
[...]
There is no purpose for this fence
[...]
this is only to keep up with my neighbors
[...]
I know it's not the right choice
[...]
I just don't care about a fence!
Don't do it! Sincerely, your friend, BlueHouse.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 03:17:11 PM »

That brings up an even more humiliating thing: I have a dehumidifier in my unfinished half-basement/half-crawlspace. It is not only not air-sealed, the crawlspace is vented to outside. My dehumidifier is therefore trying to fight the influx of humid Georgia summer air.

Mother of hell!  Ok.  This is rapidly becoming an electricity emergency.  I want you to unplug that thing immediately.  If you don't you should do the following: put water on the floor in front of the dehumidifier, take off shoes.  Now stand in water and insert finger in nearest electrical outlet.  Use extension cord if necessary.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 03:22:20 PM »

in terms of extremely comedic and horrifying personal anti-Mustachianism worthy of intense levels of scorn... for some reason (well, I know the reasons, but they are stupid) I've DRIVEN to work, like, five times in the last two weeks.

I hope your fingers are bleeding. This is your final warning. Do not let this happen again or I will personally write your boss:MMM.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 04:50:31 PM »

Mother of hell!  Ok.  This is rapidly becoming an electricity emergency.  I want you to unplug that thing immediately.  If you don't you should do the following: put water on the floor in front of the dehumidifier, take off shoes.  Now stand in water and insert finger in nearest electrical outlet.  Use extension cord if necessary.

I can't, my crawlspace will get moldy if I don't. (I know this because it was moldy until I got the dehumidifier.) What I really need to do is fix it properly.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 05:04:36 PM »
I get paid to type complicated code into the computer 40+ hours per week, but can't use a spreadsheet program to save my life. Bring it.

Sparafusile

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 08:14:26 PM »
I get paid to type complicated code into the computer 40+ hours per week, but can't use a spreadsheet program to save my life. Bring it.

Dude! How are you ever going to write a business plan and and become a CEO for $10k/day if you can't use Excel??

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2014, 06:53:21 AM »
I want shame
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]

ahahaha this is amazing!!

I hope your fingers are bleeding. This is your final warning. Do not let this happen again or I will personally write your boss:MMM.

thank you! :)

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2014, 07:14:42 AM »

That sort of lazy-ass attitude isn't gonna cut it around here.  You snooze you lose!  What did you lose? 

1) 10 miles of exercise
2) 1 gallon of gas
3) humility

When you get home tonight in your clown car you should immediately get on your bike and go to work and back as remedial training.  Also, put sugar in your gas tank, turn your alarm clock station to heavy metal and disable the snooze button.

OK so I didn't put sugar in my gas tank, as I do not want to replace that tank again. $100 gas tank! I did however atone by playing a couple of hours of vigorous tennis after work and resuming my bicycling this morning.

I can't, my crawlspace will get moldy if I don't. (I know this because it was moldy until I got the dehumidifier.) What I really need to do is fix it properly.

You have to seal that thing properly. You are not only wasting money on the dehumidifier but probably have increased indoor humidity, are at risk for rotting joists, and the aforementioned mold growth. Shameful.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »
My wife woke yesterday sick as a dog, begging for a Sprite. I jumped in my truck and drove 6 miles round trip for a large one. Knee jerk reaction.
Beat me, kick me, whip me, put on the thumb screws.

I can't believe this one has slid under the radar for so long:

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU HAVE A TRUCK?

Are you a forest ranger, or live in the mountains, or do you regularly visit Stephen King at his mountain-top home?  If 99.9% of your driving is done on pavement, you should not own a truck!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2014, 08:18:10 AM »
Are you a forest ranger, or live in the mountains, or do you regularly visit Stephen King at his mountain-top home?  If 99.9% of your driving is done on pavement, you should not own a truck!

I own a truck. It's the smallest, most fuel efficient one I could find that was still a 4x4 (it's a 4-cylinder Ranger with a manual transmission) and it's old enough that it's fully-depreciated and taxes and insurance are cheap. I got it specifically because I have a fixer-upper house and move construction materials, mulch etc. relatively often. The 4x4 part has come in handy a couple of times, too.

Maybe I "should" have gotten a trailer hitch and trailer for my VW hatchback instead, but I didn't.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2014, 08:23:15 AM »
Fair enough...I did forget about hauling things

But add that to the short list of exceptions and I think the facepunch still stands

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2014, 09:04:07 AM »
Fair enough...I did forget about hauling things

But add that to the short list of exceptions and I think the facepunch still stands

Absolutely agree! 

The 4x4 part has come in handy a couple of times, too.

A couple of times!!  A terrible justification...that means you didn't need it for that purpose at all.

Maybe I "should" have gotten a trailer hitch and trailer for my VW hatchback instead, but I didn't.

Yes you should have.  A fixer-upper house is a short term project.

Prescription = 2 facepunches.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2014, 12:27:42 PM »
I want shame
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]

I have printed this out and placed it in my "fence" folder that holds the fabricator quote and the permit (that I spent 1 whole day getting + at least $100.  I will view this first if I start getting sucked in again.  Thank you.  This may just do the job and keep me out of wasteful spending (on this item anyway).

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
I want shame
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]

I have printed this out and placed it in my "fence" folder that holds the fabricator quote and the permit (that I spent 1 whole day getting + at least $100.  I will view this first if I start getting sucked in again.  Thank you.  This may just do the job and keep me out of wasteful spending (on this item anyway).

If you do a fence you must DIY. This is unskilled labor. You can't farm it out.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2014, 12:41:09 PM »
Ha ha ha.  I love this thread.  I spit coffee on my computer screen at least 3 times reading these.

I am a clown car commuter.  I drive my diesel VW hatchback 25 km to work every day.  My husband works from home (has been since February).  Bring it.

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »
I drive to the grocery store that is like, a mile maybe? from my house. I even have a bike trailer to put my toddler in. BUT, I need to get some shit fixed on the bike before I take it on the road. I have a Honda Prelude.

FLAME AWAY.

Oh, and I'm looking at getting a TRUCK. A nice used one, for around $2K or less.

BRING IT.

TrMama

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »
In a fit of, "I must spend money to save my life!" type reaction to the confrontation with the crazy person I bought a helmet cam to wear on my bike commute. It came to $275, including shipping.

Confession: All I've done with it is take it out of the box, decide I really don't want to use it and put it back in the box. It's going to cost me a 10% restocking fee + shipping to send it back. It will probably take the retailer eleventy-seven weeks to actually refund me.

Why did I buy this thing? I don't even own a working laptop to plug it into. How the hell am I actually supposed to view the video I record? How would I forward the .mp4 to the police if there's another incident? It looks stupid and will make me feel like I'm going off to war every time I get on my bike.

Flame away and tell me to put it in the mail today so I at least have some hope of getting some money back.