Author Topic: Hulu commercials  (Read 4038 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Hulu commercials
« on: October 20, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »
We got Hulu so I've been watching commercials again for the first time in years.  They are so bad...

One that gets me goes "it's suv season so come on by..." And every time it comes on I go "holy shit, it's suv season?  There's a whole season??" And my wife hates me

There's another one with some hamsters or something and it was annoying at first but now we dance to the song and I'm sad when it doesn't come on

Do they just pick the absolute worst commercials for Hulu or is it typical of commercials these days?

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
Re: Hulu commercials
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 12:41:57 PM »
Do they just pick the absolute worst commercials for Hulu or is it typical of commercials these days?

Would not surprise me.  They want you to quit being a cheapskate and buy the premium version.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 12:48:08 PM »
There was a commercial for a local Mercedes-Benz dealership here with an exterior shot of a school. Vehicles are idling in the circle drive while a voiceover announces that since it was back-to-school season, it was time for parents to get a brand new SUV with the appropriate level of luxury for the school pick-up line.  It was a scene straight out of an MMM blog post I swear. . . .

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
Does anyone else worry that SUV season is starting earlier and earlier every year?  It seems like catheter season just ended and already they are playing SUV music in the store.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 12:53:11 PM »
Typical commercials. We don't have local TV b/c there is no local TV here. Too far from the big city.

When we visit the big city (relatives/friends) I am amazed that anyone puts up with the live TV experience anymore.

Dumb corporate commercials and even worse local high risk insurance and title loan commercials.

If there are any good commercials (entertaining commercials) they'll go viral and you'll get to see them.

No wonder the nation migrated towards online social media and streaming TV.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:55:24 PM by Joe Lucky »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 02:00:05 PM »
SUV season?  Is there a bag limit?  This sounds like a great premise for a Top Gear Grand Tour segment--the trio all go out with shotguns (or maybe something bigger) and try to kill a (remote-controlled) SUV bounding across the prarie, all while laughing at typical SUVs' inability to handle off-road terrain...
When we visit the big city (relatives/friends) I am amazed that anyone puts up with the live TV experience anymore.
Seriously, me too.  I like to watch football.  But I'm not willing to pay for cable, and then waste 1/3 of the time watching commercials.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 02:16:42 PM »
I can't recall the last time I watched a commercial.

What I do recall is being remarkably annoyed and impatient that I was being subjected to a commercial on my TV screen at all.

I guess we watch 'live TV' about once-twice a year.  I have Amazon Prime and watch some shows on it but I haven't seen any commercials on it yet.

The closest we regularly get to commercials is if we watch a youtube video, but I never even acknowledge what the commercial is.  I always click skip after the requisite 10 seconds.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 02:19:27 PM by Slee_stack »

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 03:26:09 PM »
Since I cancelled cable service, one of the few channels I get and end up watching the most of is CreateTV.  I love the cooking shows and travel shows.  I have noticed that the sponsors hawk some aspirational luxury products.  The free channel has higher class commercials than paid cable television.  No Kraft singles for me it's all Grana Padano from here on out.

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 03:55:49 PM »
We got Hulu so I've been watching commercials again for the first time in years.  They are so bad...

One that gets me goes "it's suv season so come on by..." And every time it comes on I go "holy shit, it's suv season?  There's a whole season??" And my wife hates me

There's another one with some hamsters or something and it was annoying at first but now we dance to the song and I'm sad when it doesn't come on

Believe it or not, Hulu commercials are not that bad compared to regular TV.  At least Hulu commercials are short <1min for the whole commercial break, whereas TV commercials take forever.  When football season started and I started watching regular TV (HD OTA) after having so many months off I could not believe how long the commercial breaks are on everything.  It makes Hulu commercials seem like nothing.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 11:37:47 AM »
At least Hulu commercials are short <1min for the whole commercial break

It's annoying when they add a commercial break where it didn't previously exist.... like 4/5 of the way through they throw one in at a scene cut that screws up continuity

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 02:47:12 PM »

I haven't had cable for a couple of years, but I do catch snippets here and there. The ads there and the ones I see on Hulu Plus are about equally wretched.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 03:05:48 PM »
SUV season?  Is there a bag limit?  This sounds like a great premise for a Top Gear Grand Tour segment--the trio all go out with shotguns (or maybe something bigger) and try to kill a (remote-controlled) SUV bounding across the prarie, all while laughing at typical SUVs' inability to handle off-road terrain...
Seriously, me too.  I like to watch football.  But I'm not willing to pay for cable, and then waste 1/3 of the time watching commercials.

They did that to a pair of poor vintage French cars on one TGUK episode. I would happily adopted the 2CV!