Author Topic: Huff Po Article - Quit Your Job and Travel in Your 20s  (Read 7018 times)

MrStash2000

• Stubble
Huff Po Article - Quit Your Job and Travel in Your 20s
« on: November 09, 2014, 06:16:16 PM »
I love travel but I am seeing this face punch article make the rounds on Facebook.

Basically travel now - Because you will never get ahead and work forever.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6068002?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000023&ir=Good+Newsl][/url][/url]

imustachemystash

• Bristles
Re: Huff Po Article - Quit Your Job and Travel in Your 20s
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »
It seems like if you went traveling right after college you would lose some of the skills you trained for if you didn't use them.  I studied abroad a few times in college and I think that was a better time to do it.

EricL

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 08:24:28 AM »
What the article should have said was skip college and travel the world. Travel is as great as the article claims. But traveling while interest on huge student debt mounts up isn't. Worse still if they travel on credit cards.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 11:39:12 AM »
Huff po is a rag, a steaming pile of shit masquerading as news - alternating between stealing articles and photos from various sources (eg, reddit), flamebaiting and clickbaiting with bullshit articles, attacking anyone who doesn't agree with tumblr tactics, and writing pity-me articles to kids my age about how everyone else sucks and the world is mean and we all so deserve more.

Do your best to ignore it entirely. I'd watch fox fucking news before I read huffpo, because fox news actually occasionally has news.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 11:44:29 AM »
so i didnt read the article but i'm about to turn 28 ... and i have plenty saved up right now.  i could quit my job and enjoy a mini retirement and then go back to work.  i have a friend who does this.  they save save save.  but they dont want to retire early.  they just take the time off to travel right now.  just a bit of a different view but the same saving mindset.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »
Huff po is a rag, a steaming pile of shit masquerading as news - alternating between stealing articles and photos from various sources (eg, reddit), flamebaiting and clickbaiting with bullshit articles, attacking anyone who doesn't agree with tumblr tactics, and writing pity-me articles to kids my age about how everyone else sucks and the world is mean and we all so deserve more.

Do your best to ignore it entirely. I'd watch fox fucking news before I read huffpo, because fox news actually occasionally has news.

+1

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 06:57:45 PM »
I'm surprised they did not suggest the fine old Aus/NZ tradition of the OE, wherein you save enough money  for airline tickets and then work your way through Europe/Asia.

Admittedly the tradition is that you tend bar and sleep 11 to a damp flat in London but these days people often go looking for work experience in their field.

I'm a little too soft to go that route but I have had cousins do a full OE successfully.

EricL

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 11:20:08 PM »
I don't read Huffpo much but I do remember Arianna Huffington. She tried to run he douchebag husband from Texas for a California office but he failed. She divorced him and used the proceeds to start Huffpo. It doesn't surprise me its a douche rag. It seems pretty liberal but it would help the liberals if it would defect. If the conservatives could stomache it.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »
Lots of my classmates took several months off after graduating to travel. I recognized that this was not financially prudent, as when I graduated I had a negative net worth. I graduated on Saturday, and started work the next week.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 07:10:14 PM »
I dropped out after my second year, travelled for two, then did a variety of things before returning to complete a degree and MA in my late 20s.  I wouldn't have done it any other way, but of course YMMV.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 07:29:09 PM »
There are lots of ways to travel the world during and after college other than by going into debt.  I took a job working in Antarctica and then spent six months getting home by way of other continents.  I met lots of people working their way through various corners of the world.

I spent a while traveling Oceania with a Hungarian woman who was paying for her travels by stripping.  She said she typically worked about one night per month to support herself.  Some guys I met in Australia were delivering furniture for cash under the table.  I had money saved up from working in the frozen south with nowhere to spend it.  I met some missionaries who were paid (poorly) by their church to go abroad. 

Lots of options.  I would never condone going into debt to do a major overseas trip.  There's just no reason, as long as you're young and fit and flexible about whatever arrangements you can make along the way.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 07:53:38 PM »
This sounds awesome. I wish I would have done it. Life is to be lived as an adventure. Once you start working, you will be focused on building your career and your money stash and will think anything of this nature would be a big risk (until you wisen up, of course).

Although if you are in debt, then it's not a good idea. Maybe it's good to save up some money while working in college so you can do this. A year long gap between college and work may be more explainable to an interviewer than taking a bunch of gaps throughout your career. Although I am in favor of those gaps, unfortunately interviewers at companies might not understand.

In hindsight, I've realized I've always tried to push back my work start date whenever I got a new job to try to get in as much down time as possible. Unfortunately, this has only happened three times (new job) and the second time my request for an additional month between jobs was seriously discouraged.

I wish I would have read the 4-Hour Workweek when I was younger coming out of college. Wait...it hadn't been written yet. :( He advocates the mini-retirements along the way.

What does OE stand for, Australians? I've heard of a walkabout, but couldn't find anything online about an Australian OE.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 07:56:15 PM »

FTW!!!

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »

What does OE stand for, Australians? I've heard of a walkabout, but couldn't find anything online about an Australian OE.

Overseas Experience (aka you come from the bottom of the world so it makes sense to spend a chunk of your youth working and traveling)

Edited to Add....actually Australians apparently do not call it this....they still do it but OE is apparently an NZ thing.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:54:42 PM by Annamal »

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »
There are loads of ways to work your way around the world - a more sustainable way to travel during your working years. Some ways are career-enhancing, all are life-enhancing. Some are bad for your finances, others are fantastic - in China, I earn double what I'd earn in the US. It depends on your priorities and strategizing.