Author Topic: How many Americans feel about saving even a small amount...  (Read 7578 times)

r3dt4rget

• Stubble
How many Americans feel about saving even a small amount...
« on: January 07, 2015, 08:35:51 AM »
The article is fine, but the comments are hilarious. A few of my favorites follow the link.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savingandinvesting/many-americans-dont-have-enough-savings-in-the-event-of-an-emergency/ar-AA7RxA5

The Interest Rates paid by banks are "measly peanuts"! If Banks paid higher interest rates,people might get motivated to save more & often.

How we're going to save any money when, under this administration we have to work for half of what we were earning before.

What an idiot article! Do they think that people do not know they are emergency cash poor? When all the money is sucked to the top of the inverted economy funnel cloud how are folks at the bottom supposed to be able to save. When CEO's are trying to reach that BILLIONaire club there is no way for the little guys to prosper.

Who can save anything when the greed in this country is at epic proportions.

When the U.S. dollar has lost basically all of its value in the past 100 years, saving becomes unrealistic. It is a nice theory, but unpractical after covering cost of inflated mortgages/rent, food, gas, taxes, etc...

And then a little light shines:

On the other hand, I observe other people's spending habits. I am amazed at the items in grocery carts that are not necessary. I am amazed at how much some spend on the lottery. I am amazed at how often people go out to eat rather than cook. We are a nation of consumers and we are targeted by the marketing strategies of a capitalist economy.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: How many Americans feel about saving even a small amount...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 09:02:56 AM »
What amazes me is that those comments are all written by separate people.  Who all individually feel that way.

When it's a crazy article, I can dismiss it as the one author being complainypants.  But when dozens of comments are like that, and I stop and think about the people behind them, taking their time to write up a comment about how bad our society is and how greedy the rich are and things... It just makes me sad.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 09:41:20 AM »
I think Green Day says it best:

Don't want to be an American idiot.
One nation controlled by the media.
Information age of hysteria.
It's calling out to idiot America.

Welcome to a new kind of tension.
All across the alienation.
Where everything isn't meant to be okay.
Television dreams of tomorrow.
We're not the ones who're meant to follow.
For that's enough to argue.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 10:19:26 AM »
I know a few folks who complain about not being able to save, but sadly they are the same folks who never mentally left high school and work menial jobs for minimum wage.  The worst part is they are my age or a tad older (almost 50) and have nothing for retirement and they just don't get how I managed to save and retire when I was 40.  I chose money over Mercedes early in life.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 11:14:51 AM »

Ironically, this one I can agree with, if you consider excessive consumerism a form of greed. I'm pretty sure, though, the commenter was referring to something different.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 04:48:09 PM »
I feel that, in many ways, our brains work differently from most Americans'. When I consider the way I live my life, I basically go to work, work out, learn languages, read, play guitar, and do writing, and that's about my average weekday. About once a week I go out to eat or do some other wasteful form of entertainment.

Whereas a lot of my coworkers eat out multiple times a week, have large houses/apartments, and while they do work out, their self-improvement is markedly more limited than mine.

I'm not saying that I'm a better person than them, but at a point, it sometimes feel like I'm a different species than most of the people I come into contact with.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 08:03:15 PM »
I feel that, in many ways, our brains work differently from most Americans'. When I consider the way I live my life, I basically go to work, work out, learn languages, read, play guitar, and do writing, and that's about my average weekday. About once a week I go out to eat or do some other wasteful form of entertainment.

Whereas a lot of my coworkers eat out multiple times a week, have large houses/apartments, and while they do work out, their self-improvement is markedly more limited than mine.

I'm not saying that I'm a better person than them, but at a point, it sometimes feel like I'm a different species than most of the people I come into contact with.

I feel the same way. Last weekend I met up with some of my old friends here that i had not seen in a long time. They all talked about new movies and restaurants and video games and partying. I felt like they were speaking a different language. They are great people but I feel I dont have much of anything in common with them anymore. I think they felt the same way. They seemed generally concerned when they asked me how i spent my time if i didnt go out to movies or party or play video games.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 07:08:55 AM »
I know a few folks who complain about not being able to save, but sadly they are the same folks who never mentally left high school and work menial jobs for minimum wage.  The worst part is they are my age or a tad older (almost 50) and have nothing for retirement and they just don't get how I managed to save and retire when I was 40.  I chose money over Mercedes early in life.

The people I know who complain about this have expensive cars, motor boats bought new, or send their kids to private schools (our public schools are fine here). 

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 05:49:45 PM »

I feel exactly the same. I am lising 80% if my friends bexause our lifestyles are just so different. The new friendships I form are with much older people than I am and are into self growth and not upholding an image.
Outside of work I am all about learning, my family and enjoying the simple things (sunsets, walks, etc) whilr everyone runs around doing idk what lol

anon-e-mouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 02:20:15 PM »
How many of you have a hard time talking to your friends about saving money....
I know MOST of my friends cringe if I even suggest adding more to their 401k.
In reality, we need these people!  Who else is going to make the stock value in our consumer driven companies go up?

So, I quietly thank my stupid friends, but only after trying to offer help.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 02:43:54 PM »

Ironically, this one I can agree with, if you consider excessive consumerism a form of greed. I'm pretty sure, though, the commenter was referring to something different.

I'm with you.  That one is really spot on.  Who can save anything when [my] greed ... is at epic proportions?