Author Topic: How Do TV Characters Afford Their Homes? (Just for Fun)  (Read 16472 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: How Do TV Characters Afford Their Homes? (Just for Fun)
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2015, 10:27:14 AM »

Where I grew up and where I live now, it's because they have a finite number of busses and so they stagger start times.  HS is at 730, middle at 830, elementary at 9, or something like that.  Otherwise you need 2-3x as many busses.

Ours is due to bus schedules too. Except here I think elementary starts the earliest and HS the latest.
And because we are so small but growing, there is actually not even enough buses to do the rounds needed, so some kids get picked up super early and dropped off at the school well before school starts, and other kids have to hang out at school for an extra 45 minutes until the bus comes back around for them.  I think that is just the elementary school kids though.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2015, 12:03:07 PM »

Where I grew up and where I live now, it's because they have a finite number of busses and so they stagger start times.  HS is at 730, middle at 830, elementary at 9, or something like that.  Otherwise you need 2-3x as many busses.

Ours is due to bus schedules too. Except here I think elementary starts the earliest and HS the latest.
And because we are so small but growing, there is actually not even enough buses to do the rounds needed, so some kids get picked up super early and dropped off at the school well before school starts, and other kids have to hang out at school for an extra 45 minutes until the bus comes back around for them.  I think that is just the elementary school kids though.

Fascinating.  That would make sense except when I lived in a district that did no busing at all except those that got bused in for "diversity" reason (the lack upset my mom considerably needless to say, as she had to schedule car rides).

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2015, 12:10:47 PM »
How the heck does homer simpson make $78,000 per year? And I assume that is after tax??

And they don't have to estimate Seinfeld's income since you know, he's actually seinfeld both on the show and in real life.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »
How the heck does homer simpson make $78,000 per year? And I assume that is after tax??

And they don't have to estimate Seinfeld's income since you know, he's actually seinfeld both on the show and in real life.

Why would income be reported after tax? Isn't it meant to be a salary estimate? I would assume it to be before tax.  I also think it would be really low since he's had the job for 26 years.  What I can find as the "base salary" of a nuclear safety inspector is around $65k.  With a 3% raise each year, he'd be making $140k now.

I don't think Seinfeld on the show is Seinfeld in real life.  For one, real Seinfeld doesn't live in a shitty apartment. Nor does he play small, not totally filled comedy clubs.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2015, 01:06:33 PM »

Why would income be reported after tax? Isn't it meant to be a salary estimate? I would assume it to be before tax.  I also think it would be really low since he's had the job for 26 years.  What I can find as the "base salary" of a nuclear safety inspector is around $65k.  With a 3% raise each year, he'd be making $140k now.

I don't think Seinfeld on the show is Seinfeld in real life.  For one, real Seinfeld doesn't live in a shitty apartment. Nor does he play small, not totally filled comedy clubs.

Because they talk about home cost being < 30% of salary. Which I thought would be after-tax salary. That's really only way it makes sense, otherwise how does it work when  you live in a 10% tax state vs a zero income tax state? Or for that matter 15% tax bracket vs 35% bracket?

And do you really think Home Simpson would get raises?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2015, 01:17:45 PM »
In my experience, if people don't  get fired, they tend to get raises.

Although, I've thought about it, and that would not have been the base salary when he got the job in 1989/1990.  So I'd be willing to say he makes between $75-100k

TheThirstyStag

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2015, 02:29:38 PM »
How the heck does homer simpson make $78,000 per year?

"I dunno.  I figured it's cuz the democrats are in power"  - Homer Simpson

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »
Re teachers and salaries and vacations - it is not that we think no-one else works hard, we are just tired of everyone else thinking we don't work hard.  Just because the kids are not in school doesn't mean we are not working.

My contract was 37.5 hours/week.  I would have loved to work 37.5 hours per week.  It was usually double that.  Christmas vacation?  With exams finishing Dec 22 and marks due in January 2, how much vacation is in there?  Easy if all you do is give multiple choice exams, but if you are trying to do a valid evaluation, that is a tiny fraction of the total evaluation.  Think the last lab reports, plus term papers, plus exams with essays.  Those reflect a student's achievement much more, but they take a lot of time to evaluate.

DD looked at her parents (XDH was a teacher as well) sitting doing extra course prep and marking on evenings and weekends, all through the school year, and swore she would NEVER be a teacher.  And she is not a teacher.