Author Topic: Houston Press blogger marvels at five-figure account balances  (Read 5706 times)

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
Houston Press blogger marvels at five-figure account balances
« on: January 15, 2015, 02:42:20 PM »
Houston Press blogger marvels at the five-figure account balances that appear onscreen during a Bank of America TV commercial:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/news/2015/01/in_new_ad_bank_of_america_will_reward_youif_you_have_23586_in_your_checking_account.php

This writer seems to think that account balances of $20K, $40K, or more are only attainable by a lucky few. I wouldn't exactly advocate Bank of America accounts as the most optimal place to park your cash on a long-term basis. But every day, people do things like buy cars without financing, place down payments on homes, help pay for a child's college expenses, etc. And if you're actually saving for those kind of goals, your account balances might reach -- gasp -- five figures in the process. . . .

vivophoenix

• Bristles
Re: Houston Press blogger marvels at five-figure account balances
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 02:47:28 PM »
if they are trying to target the average American,  then 5 figure bank account screen shots are ludicrous

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 02:48:20 PM »
At least the comments call him out on that.  Looks like he primarily writes about pop culture- concerts, sports, vanity license plates?  Wish there was a bio more readily available.

pzxc

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »
if they are trying to target the average American,  then 5 figure bank account screen shots are ludicrous

Not really.

It's done for the same reason you see healthy, beautiful models in all advertisements - even ads for things like prescription drugs to treat debilitating diseases.  If they show an ad with someone who LOOKS like they're dying, people are gonna look away and try not to see the ad. If they show an ad with a beautiful model, people are gonna think unconsciously "Hey if I take this drug it might make me beautiful too!".  Obviously that's absurd, but it still has an EFFECT on you.

Same thing here. If they showed account balance of $-136.87 (overdraft), even though it's more realistic for the 'typical' consumer, people won't respond as positively. By showing account balances of 5 figures, people will think to themselves (consciously or unconsciously), "Hey if people that have 5 figures in their checking account use Bank of America, maybe I should too - it must be what people who are smart about money use!"

It's basic marketing, plain and simple. Emotional appeal, nothing more.

"Sell the sizzle, not the steak."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 03:24:03 PM »
Perhaps he was amazed that people would keep this much on an account that won't generate much (if any) passive income?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 03:54:16 PM »
I can only imagine what he would say about our six-figure savings account glance then....(earmarked for down payment).

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 06:15:29 PM »

Not really.

It's done for the same reason you see healthy, beautiful models in all advertisements - even ads for things like prescription drugs to treat debilitating diseases.  If they show an ad with someone who LOOKS like they're dying, people are gonna look away and try not to see the ad. If they show an ad with a beautiful model, people are gonna think unconsciously "Hey if I take this drug it might make me beautiful too!".  Obviously that's absurd, but it still has an EFFECT on you.

Same thing here. If they showed account balance of $-136.87 (overdraft), even though it's more realistic for the 'typical' consumer, people won't respond as positively. By showing account balances of 5 figures, people will think to themselves (consciously or unconsciously), "Hey if people that have 5 figures in their checking account use Bank of America, maybe I should too - it must be what people who are smart about money use!"

I concur, and I would add that in a commercial where you only show the numbers very briefly, you need a longer string of discernible digits (notice the numerals they chose) to visually get the point across.  If you had a smaller number with fewer digits, there'd be less there to catch the eye.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 07:21:08 AM »

Not really.

I concur, and I would add that in a commercial where you only show the numbers very briefly, you need a longer string of discernible digits (notice the numerals they chose) to visually get the point across.  If you had a smaller number with fewer digits, there'd be less there to catch the eye.

haha correct

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »
I'm with him. Who the hell would keep $60,000 cash?! Unless you're buying a house invest that right now!

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »
I'm with him. Who the hell would keep $60,000 cash?! Unless you're buying a house invest that right now!

When I think back to many of my favorite "money moments" they tend to be preceded by a brief period when my cash accounts temporarily had ridiculous looking balances! So I want to believe that the people portrayed in the commercial are each on the cusp of a positive life change!