Author Topic: Home visits from her manicurist  (Read 4659 times)

Sarita

• Stubble
Home visits from her manicurist
« on: November 23, 2014, 05:40:39 AM »
I live in a nondescript walkup apartment building in NYC.  A young couple in the building gets packages via UPS or FedEx virtually every single day-- from retail shops such as Sephora.  It blows my mind, but the icing on the cake was when another neighbor shared with me that the young woman gets home visits from her manicurist.

I thought that was just for the likes of Jennifer Lopez.....

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Home visits from her manicurist
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:54:22 AM »
My manicurist is in residence.  (Of course she is, she is me.) 

I have to admit, my view is skewed - when your whole working life you need short nails because they go through the latex gloves if they are too long, the point of a manicure is lost.  And now that I am learning a stringed instrument, my nails are even shorter, to the point that I have trouble picking things up with them.  ;-(

Seriously, what professions/jobs require manicured fingernails?  And if it is a low-paying sales job (i.e. makeup counter at a store) why not do them yourself?   Anyone doing that kind of job would have easy access to materials and know-how.

I think my age is showing (sigh) - when I was in my 20's and 30's a manicure was something a woman might have done for her wedding.  Not a regular part of her grooming routine.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:56:22 AM by RetiredAt63 »

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 08:06:31 AM »
I think my age is showing (sigh) - when I was in my 20's and 30's a manicure was something a woman might have done for her wedding.  Not a regular part of her grooming routine.

It is scary the amount of nails places around.  And they all seem to stay in business.  I think a lot of money must be going into these places from women.  I'm not really sure but do people go for a manicure/pedicure once a month or every two weeks?  It would really add up.  :(

Full disclosure - I get a pedicure done in the summer for a big event - like last year we went to Montreal so I could meet the in-laws there.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 12:32:38 PM »
My podiatrist's office does pedicures, but that is for people who have various health issues, and foot health needs to be monitored.  Other than that, why can't people do their own, or friends get together and do each others?  It would be a fun night - do the nails, then break out the wine.  And since the polish has to dry between coats, it is not something that can be rushed.

elnion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 01:06:21 PM »

It is scary the amount of nails places around.  And they all seem to stay in business.  I think a lot of money must be going into these places from women.  I'm not really sure but do people go for a manicure/pedicure once a month or every two weeks?  It would really add up.  :(

I had a friend in High School whose mother ran nail salons.  It was absolutely incredible the financial situations they went through.  The (second) husband of this woman was a total deadbeat, and she couldn't manage money to save her life, but she was a savant at these nail salons.  She could get a loan from the bank and get a salon up and running in a month or two, get it profitable, and then she would sell the business and cash out for tidy sum.  Three to six months later the family would have blown all of the cash, so the cycle would start over.  The whole cycle was maybe a little longer than a year.  They were constantly oscillating between buying brand new fancypants SUVs and the latest gaming system for the deadbeat husband, and being so broke that my friend (the eldest daughter) had to get a job to support her mother and step-father (he never did anything useful, however).

But yeah, if you know the secret sauce at least, those places seem to print money.  It was crazy.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 02:20:50 PM »

Full disclosure - I get a pedicure done in the summer for a big event - like last year we went to Montreal so I could meet the in-laws there.
yeah, no kidding. I see so many nail salons I keep thinking "surely the next one around here will not make it" but they are all here and thriving, including the new ones. Crazy.
I used to get nails done pre MMM but because of my type of work I went for pedicures over manis, now a days I proudly paint them myself and save the $25 every 2 weeks and save the hour spent at the salon

crispy

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 03:04:59 PM »
I get a pedicure a few times a year because  I need the help of a professional to make my feet look nice.  I do give myself a pedicure and try to take care of my feet, but the results just aren't the same. 

The Borgs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 03:39:07 PM »
I've had a manicure, so that I could learn the technique (youtube wasn't doing it for me). Now having learned I can do a professional looking standard polish, french polish or even fancy nail art. And I like having nice nails some of the time. You can't beat watching a professional carefully in real life for that, or hairdressing come to think of it.

I got into manicuring working in a particular office where all of the girls had their nails done and you stood out like a sore thumb without. Bearing in mind, these girls were all on a pretty small wage, but would go and have acrylic nails or gel colours every couple of weeks. I "invested" in a manicure to learn and some polishes, files and so forth and now can do it for years.

As for pedicures, my pedicurist is in residence also. My husband does it, even down to painting my toenails now and then.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »
Something I've noticed:  The number of manicures a woman has seems to be inversely proportional to her income. 

For example, a good percentage of my high school students have manicures on a regular basis.  In contrast, I've had two in my entire life (one was a gift), and most of my 40-something friends with professional jobs are kind of like me. 

The pros do a better job than I do, and their work lasts longer than mine does -- don't know why that would be true.  I might have a manicure in the future before a big vacation or other big event, but I can't see doing them on a regular basis.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 04:51:15 PM »
Something I've noticed: The number of manicures a woman has seems to be inversely proportional to her income. 

For example, a good percentage of my high school students have manicures on a regular basis.  In contrast, I've had two in my entire life (one was a gift), and most of my 40-something friends with professional jobs are kind of like me. 

The pros do a better job than I do, and their work lasts longer than mine does -- don't know why that would be true.  I might have a manicure in the future before a big vacation or other big event, but I can't see doing them on a regular basis.

Oh yes! I live in a low socio-economic area - lovely, old, but the people who live here have a higher unemployment rate and number of multi-generational families on benefits than most other places. And the nail salon at my local shopping centre has people out the door. And they don't look like they can really afford it either.