Author Topic: Home delivered cocktails  (Read 3630 times)

misterhorsey

• Bristles
Home delivered cocktails
« on: January 22, 2016, 04:29:43 PM »
Saw a poster advertising this 'service' when I went for a walk during my lunch hour.

Home delivered cocktail 'kits'.

Couldn't believe it:

http://www.cocktailrunner.com.au/

So you get to do the actual work of making it? You get to pay premium prices for small amounts of alcohol. And you get to stay at home.  If there is ever a point of alcohol surely its to get out and mingle?

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Home delivered cocktails
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 07:51:59 PM »
Is this for people who are too lazy to google how to make a certain cocktail and then buy the ingredients themselves?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 08:23:22 PM »
If there is ever a point of alcohol surely its to get out and mingle?

Okay- I agree with you that this is a ridiculous idea.
But most the people I know drink at home. Who can afford to go out?
Not to mention to get a sitter, and deal with all the loud noise... it's just better to put the kids to bed and break out the bar.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 11:11:51 PM »
If there is ever a point of alcohol surely its to get out and mingle?

Okay- I agree with you that this is a ridiculous idea.
But most the people I know drink at home. Who can afford to go out?
Not to mention to get a sitter, and deal with all the loud noise... it's just better to put the kids to bed and break out the bar.

lol yep, the point is to stay home and relax...it's a lot cheaper to stay home, too. :P

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 11:43:32 PM »
Way too expensive for my taste which is 1.75 liter Kirkland Vodka mixed with diet soda.  This service needs to be slightly more expensive than a liquor store and significantly less expensive than a bar.  As a weekly delivery subscription for maybe $50 a month it might work.  The pregamer package arrives in your mailbox every Friday ready for you to start the weekend with a novel curated cocktail recipe.

misterhorsey

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 03:37:59 AM »
Is this for people who are too lazy to google how to make a certain cocktail and then buy the ingredients themselves?

Pretty much.  Given they are only giving you enough alcohol for 4 or 6 cocktails, its pretty expensive.  Alcohol is pretty expensive in Australia compared to the US (lots of tax). Not sure how people too lazy or dumb to buy a bottle of gin and a bottle of vermouth and make their own martinis could ever be a business model though.

I live in a popular entertainment area with lots of restaurants and bars. Presumably its aimed at the kind of people who spend up big at these places so perhaps their own pre mixed cocktail set will appeal.  But the level of spoon feeding that people seek out these days is crazy.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 11:45:47 AM »
Wow, and I thought some of my friends were nuts for spending $50 on this: http://www.brookstone.com/perfect-drink-app-controlled-smart-bartending/855317p.html

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 11:49:13 AM »
Wow, and I thought some of my friends were nuts for spending $50 on this: http://www.brookstone.com/perfect-drink-app-controlled-smart-bartending/855317p.html

That's brilliant... you could never make the perfect drink just by using a shot glass...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 12:10:58 PM »
Yikes, $11 for Moscow mule ingredients. Seeing as how it's a vodka drink, I can't imagine that the grocery cost of the basic ingredients would be like a few dollars and then maybe (keyword maybe) a dollar for a shot of vodka.

I haven't gone out drinking very often, but I do glance at cocktail menus and can't recall the last time I saw a Moscow Mule for more than $8, and this was at a largely premium place.

Then again, the company has to make a profit somehow and if people are lazy, they likely don't mind paying a premium for the convenience.

cube.37

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 12:48:25 PM »
Isn't this company essentially doing the same thing that companies like hellofresh, blueapron and plated are doing? (which I think are all stupid, but they seem to be making good money..)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!