Author Topic: Holiday Gift Guides  (Read 7762 times)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
Holiday Gift Guides
« on: November 17, 2016, 08:54:54 AM »
I read The Verge a lot. Today I saw their 2016 Holiday Gift Guide at http://www.theverge.com/a/holiday-gift-ideas-2016

There wasn't a single item there that I wanted, or even needed. Maybe I've reached contentment/ satisfaction / zen/ nirvana for material possessions.

It seems that the Gift Guides are "guiding your wallet" to buy stuff you may not need with money you may not have.

Anyone else feel this way too? I'm sure I'm not a statistical outlier.

FWIW, I've never been big on gifts at Christmas; maybe because I didn't grow up in the US, in a non-Christian family, and wasn't attacked with consumer-targeting marketing until I was 19 (when I moved to the US). My kids are in for a ride, unless JingaNation uses his JingaPowers to keep them distracted from spendyshit.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: Holiday Gift Guides
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:17:15 AM »
Ugh, that page is painful to scroll through.  So much stuff that won't actually make your life measurably better.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 10:27:14 AM »
Guys, we can get a candle that smells like a brand new computer. How can we resist?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:41:43 AM »
Guys, we can get a candle that smells like a brand new computer. How can we resist?
I just, what?  I've been around my fair share of new computers (I work in IT) and I cannot for the life of me think of what they actually smell like.  Packing material?

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 10:48:22 AM »
$400 for a fucking hair dryer??? Jesus, people make me sad...

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 10:55:09 AM »
Honestly, as I was scrolling down, more than thinking "I don't want or need this", I kept thinking "WTF is it? What does it do?"

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 10:57:01 AM »
I saw somethings that I would like on that list.  For example, the $20 steamer for clothes.  Most of it though was crap however, I was impressed that there were several books on the list.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 11:27:44 AM »
Because, Dear Ducky, a normal hair dryer doesn't fuck.
The fucks cost extra, obviously.
Tremendous fucks.
Bigly.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 11:44:28 AM »
I'll take the Alton Brown cookbook, the $60 Nintendo (actually on my Christmas Amazon List), and the Lego Porsche (cool as hell but I'd never spend $300 on it). 

And I love my Kindle Paperwhite I got last Christmas.

The rest of that stuff is weird.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 12:11:28 PM »
Because, Dear Ducky, a normal hair dryer doesn't fuck.
The fucks cost extra, obviously.
Tremendous fucks.
Bigly.

Still sounds painful, given how hair dryers heat up.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 12:18:30 PM »
I'll take the Alton Brown cookbook, the $60 Nintendo (actually on my Christmas Amazon List), and the Lego Porsche (cool as hell but I'd never spend $300 on it). 

And I love my Kindle Paperwhite I got last Christmas.

The rest of that stuff is weird.
The NES Classic is a maybe want, but I'm not paying the current $300 or so. I know there's limited supply, so I'll wait until they drop to MSRP after the holidays.
I've never truly owned a video game system. I've bought and sold Nintendo, Xbox, PS systems over the years. I used to buy them early, then sell them locally for a markup, thinking that I'll buy another for myself later, and that never happened.

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 12:29:51 PM »
I <3 my Aeropress!

... And that's about the only thing I want from that list. I'd consider getting my Apple-obsessed father a "New Mac" candle, but it's too expensive for a gag gift.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 09:56:50 AM »
So what kind of gifts will MMM readers give? (trolling for ideas)

I find myself in the same boat as everyone here. Not really interested in shopping or receiving. The gift of food and time together is bliss enough. Maybe the 20th century Christmas tradition of buying a bunch is getting long in the tooth.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 10:14:03 AM »
So what kind of gifts will MMM readers give? (trolling for ideas)

I find myself in the same boat as everyone here. Not really interested in shopping or receiving. The gift of food and time together is bliss enough. Maybe the 20th century Christmas tradition of buying a bunch is getting long in the tooth.

What kind of gifts do we give? Things that are useful/thoughtful/affordable but nice to have/suit the recipient/make the recipient feel loved and pampered for an affordable amount (aka: 25$ cut-glass mixing pitcher for the cocktail enthusiast who likes pretty things: yes. Designer purse: no.) .

For example:
- My MIL was recently diagnosed with celiac. She's getting the best GF desserts cookbook I've ever used (Flourless) - HIGHLY recommending this book, FYI.
- Brother is moving out of my parents house and likes to bake - he's getting my favorite baking book (found used for 5$ instead of new for 40, in a like-new condition) and a gift basket of baking supplies (cookie sheet, cake pan, mixing bowls, measuring cups, etc). Shopping at Homesense, I should bring that together for about 30-40$ with good-quality cookies sheets (it makes a HUGE difference, ok.)

appleblossom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 12:44:08 PM »
I don't know what The Verge is, so I was half expecting a list like the Goop one, or some other horrifically overpriced list. But although I agree most of that list is completely unnecessary, at least there are lots of reasonably priced items.
I wouldn't mind some of those books.

JrDoctor

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 01:49:57 PM »
Aeropress is actually a pretty boss present.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 06:05:33 AM »
I don't know what The Verge is, so I was half expecting a list like the Goop one, or some other horrifically overpriced list. But although I agree most of that list is completely unnecessary, at least there are lots of reasonably priced items.
I wouldn't mind some of those books.

I actually use Goop. Love it.

And then I googled the one you meant. I can see why the hate.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 10:23:45 AM »
Is it okay if I don't follow the link? I can't muster enough energy for the scorn that will be required.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 02:11:22 PM »
I read an article in the paper the other day about things you need to do in your 30's to spruce up your house now that you're really an adult.  One of them was replacing wire hangers with "real" and color-coordinated hangers.  I guess my mistmatching fake wire hangers don't do the job properly?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 02:37:53 PM »
I read an article in the paper the other day about things you need to do in your 30's to spruce up your house now that you're really an adult.  One of them was replacing wire hangers with "real" and color-coordinated hangers.  I guess my mistmatching fake wire hangers don't do the job properly?

Why would throwing out working hangers and replacing them make one an adult?

Guess I may understand in a few years when i reach my 30s.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 03:10:43 PM »
An Australian satirical news site has put together a list admirably entitled:

46 Cool Xmas Gifts For Adult Sons With No Interests Outside Of Blowing Money On Piss

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/advocate-in-focus/46-cool-xmas-gifts-for-adult-sons-with-no-interests-outside-of-blowing-money-on-piss/

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 09:01:26 AM »
It seems like a strong commentary about the prosperity we enjoy when we're worried about color-coordinating our clothes hangers. Really, people?  Is that your most pressing concern in life?!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 10:08:16 AM »

We need wire hangers though. You can't roast marshmallows on a wooden hanger. Well, I suppose you could but the results would be terrifying.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 10:18:45 AM »

We need wire hangers though. You can't roast marshmallows on a wooden hanger. Well, I suppose you could but the results would be terrifying.

Stick of green wood, peel the bark off. Won't catch fire while you roast the marshmellow. DO NOT use dry wood. ;)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 03:21:40 PM »
It seems like a strong commentary about the prosperity we enjoy when we're worried about color-coordinating our clothes hangers. Really, people?  Is that your most pressing concern in life?!

I, um, have colour co-ordinated clothes hangers.

I bought most of them all at once, all white, and the one occasion I've had to buy clothes hangers since then I just found a white packet.

But you're right, if I had a mish-mash I wouldn't spend the money to replace them all.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2016, 08:37:23 AM »

Another adult concern. :D

gardeningandgreen

• Bristles
    • Gardening and Green
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2016, 09:18:50 AM »
NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT THE $650 CLOCK!?!?!?! Seriously what the hell. Who spends that on a clock. My grandma has one similar to it that even has a radio in it from the 70's or 80's! Wonder If I could convincer her to sell it...

On the other hand the NES and the Alton Brown cookbook may be added to my Christmas list...

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
I have 0 interest in anything on that list either.

I actually do not have any interest in gadgets or gizmos right now.  The only thing I really care to purchase is a car.   

The hair dryer is pretty cool in actuality.  Luckily, I get to use it for free.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2016, 06:02:01 PM »
I make a tequila gift guide for the tequila sub on reddit. I think gift guides are neat. I think there's no point to a gift guide that isn't for a specific area of interest, though... and every good guide should be split into roughly three sections of newbie, interested, and well-traveled, so to speak, whether that's regarding cost or accessibility or whatever. And usually some note about what to get for someone if you yourself know nothing but they do.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2016, 07:43:08 PM »
I haven't had a "not my market " moment like this since I wandered into Sak's and had to repress my laughter until safely out of the store.

1. Amazon  dot....NO, just , no, Along with Smart TV's , Xboxes, the google home thingie, etc.  Anything with a microphone that I can't turn off  creeps me out.

2.  NES.  We  still have   the hubby's, along with the games I've added (I just found Dragon Warrior after all these years!) We still play it, we just  use  more "colorful metaphors" than we  did back in the day .

3. A candle...that smells like a new mac...mmmkay.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2016, 09:34:35 AM »
I haven't had a "not my market " moment like this since I wandered into Sak's and had to repress my laughter until safely out of the store.

1. Amazon  dot....NO, just , no, Along with Smart TV's , Xboxes, the google home thingie, etc.  Anything with a microphone that I can't turn off  creeps me out.

2.  NES.  We  still have   the hubby's, along with the games I've added (I just found Dragon Warrior after all these years!) We still play it, we just  use  more "colorful metaphors" than we  did back in the day .

Laughter is humanity's universal way of providing nonviolent feedback to incidents of stupidity. Why repress such a positive natural force?

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 10:30:39 AM »
NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT THE $650 CLOCK!?!?!?! Seriously what the hell. Who spends that on a clock. My grandma has one similar to it that even has a radio in it from the 70's or 80's! Wonder If I could convincer her to sell it...

On the other hand the NES and the Alton Brown cookbook may be added to my Christmas list...

Yeah that one jumped out at me. It happens to be unattractive to my taste and even if I loved the style I would have guessed it was worth maybe...$20 max? So much puzzlement.

I agree with whoever liked that they listed books. I'm trying to whittle down my collection, but don't mind gift books -- I can always donate to the library when I'm done. Though as a gift-giver I'd much rather give someone a book that I love rather than one I saw on a guide but haven't read.

It seems odd that so many of the items are so expensive...usually gift guides offer a better range. No stocking stuffers here. Also...multiple computer and headphone recommendations? If you have great headphones, don't you just need one pair?

The bioluminescent aquarium is cute but I still wouldn't pay $60 for it.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2016, 08:03:18 AM »

Laughter is humanity's universal way of providing nonviolent feedback to incidents of stupidity. Why repress such a positive natural force?

:D This made my day. I should laugh more.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2016, 02:22:11 PM »
Never understood the colour coordinated clothes hangers fad.

No one can see the colour of the effing hangers because they have clothes hanging on them...which are various colours!  Wow!  Clothes are colour coordinated!  Someone should alert the media.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!